The Koda Kumi Rate: PART IV. All things come to an end, WINNER announced | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: PART IV. All things come to an end, WINNER announced

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Jun 22, 2020.

?

Which short track / interlude if your favorite / deserves a full version?

1. Introduction ~WALK OF MY LIFE~

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Interlude ~Dance~

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Introduction ~My music is designed from my DNA~

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. So which song is missing out on Top70?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU

Average: 6,93
    Highest scorers: 10x2 (@RUNAWAY, @Music Is Life), 8,5x2 (@Yeziirl and @me!)
    Lowest scorers: 4x1 (@Cutlery), 5x1 (@lalaclairi_)
    My score: lookie above

Okay, now, what the fuck is going on in this rate‽ Y'all want to fight or something, huh? Produced by UTA (SKY-HI's "Ai Bloom"), Erik Pettersson a.k.a. DJ Sonic Union (??) and Angelica Ahman (???) and written by Kumi, the track is one of the three new ones that appeared on the "SUMMER of LOVE" compilation, which was created to celebrate Kumi's summer-centric songs that were released before her 15th anniversary.

This is so carefree and light, I can't help but feel better and smile when listening to this. There is also a level of class to the instrumental that elevates the track and makes for even more pleasant listen. No, really, it sounds timeless. To add to all the things to admire about this whole situation is Kumi's stellar vocal performance. She sound stunning, warm and comforting here. I'm honestly very surprised that it's already leaving and that some of you didn't like it much. At least some of you realized the beauty of this song...

Lyrically Kumi confesses that the person she's singing about is her one and only with a hint of "let's sing this song together".

I want to protect you - you believe me

Let's ride the clouds and dream. Hope & dreams
    No one else but you
    As long as it's the present you, then, yeah
    you should be able to do anything
    (c) @otenkiame

Looks like y'all could live without this one. Not only two peaces of commentary though, both the lowest and the highest, dddd.

First we have a rare instance of @Cutlery (4) being the lowest scorers, "Gosh this is so dated, and not exactly easy on the ears. It reminds me of a few Best: Second Session tracks but missing the mark. And it drags far too long despite being under four minutes." I can't agree with anything that is said in these 3 sentences.

And secondly and lastly we have a common instance of @RUNAWAY (10) being a bit of a stan, "love the fact that she included a mid-tempo on an album full of summer bops. I fucking love this song, and hope it isn’t totally destroyed in this rate." Dddd, didn't really happen.

EDIT: I forgot to include these, dddd.

@Yeziirl (8,5) is a scholar or something, "too much r&b meddling, please get rid of that fender rhodes! still better than most of her ballads" Get rid of what now?

@otenkiame (8) probably would flip his shit along with me, if Kuu released an R'n'B centric album with this kind of sound as the main point, "I'm all over this track nowadays! A great laidback sound to it with some funky elements. Kuu sounds so wonderful and in her element here that I wish she'd explore more of this sound in the future. Love how her voice sounds over this kind of music! More please!"

The internets are saying that Kumi performed this live at least on a Miyagi date of the "WALK OF MY LIFE" tour, but there is no footage of it available. I also have some fuzzy memory of watching some kind of performance for this? Oh well, maybe I'm just imagining things at this point.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Remorque, Weslicious, Yeziirl and 4 others like this.
  2. TOP70

[​IMG]

Dance In The Rain
    Lippy
    Mercedes
    Like It
    House Party
    HOTEL
    Gimme U
    You can keep up with me
    MONEY IN MY BAG
    PIECE IN THE PUZZLE
    Fake Tongue
    Sometimes Dreams Come True
    LIFE so GOOD!!
    WALK OF MY LIFE
    14/14

[​IMG]

BRIDGET SONG
    Bring It On
    Yorokobi no Kakera
    Stand By You
    Suki de Shite
    Kimi Omoi
    On my way

What's Up
    Promise you
    My fun
    04/10

[​IMG]

W FACE
    Ultraviolet
    insane
    Damn real
    Heartless
    Bassline
    Shhh!
    Bangerang
    Wicked Girls
    Cupcake feat. AKLO
    09/10

[​IMG]

PARTY
    SWEETEST TABOO
    GOT ME GOING'
    WHO
    OUTTA MY HEAD
    NEVER ENOUGH
    ALL RIGHT
    LIT
    BRAIN
    IT'S MY LIFE
    09/10

[​IMG]

HUSH
    Dangerous
    WATCH OUT!! ~DNA~
    ScREaM
    CHANCES ALL
    Aenaku Naru Kurai Nara
    HAIRCUT
    Guess Who Is Back
    HOT HOT
    Kokoro kara i love u
    Work That
    PIN DROP
    11/12

[​IMG]

DO ME
    GET NAKED
    STRIP
    k,
    Rich & Famous feat. Sean Paul
    again
    Merry Go Round
    Eh Yo
    GOLDFINGER 2019 / Livin' La Vida Loca
    Put Your Hands Up!!!
    Summer Time
    OMG
    SHUTOUT
    13/13

EXTRAS

TURN AROUND
    SO FEVER
    NEVER GIVE IT UP
    EX TAPE
    HURRICANE
    NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU
    Wanderin' Destiny
    On And On
    NO ME WITHOUT YOU
    Soba ni Ite
    puff
    10/11

3. Grl, you totally forgot my commentary. *insert hurt image here*

Remorque, evilsin and Yeziirl like this.
  4. That's what I was thinking since you always bless us hosts with commentary for every song!

As for the recent elimination... It's not for me. I said what I said with the Second Session comparison!

5. You also forgot about my commentary too.
    [​IMG]

Remorque, evilsin and otenkiame like this.
  6. Dddd, this is what I get for finishing up the comments file only half-way. Let me edit those in.
    And that's a bad thing how exactly?

Remorque, otenkiame, Yeziirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Thanks! And yeah its another shocking elimination, there are far worse songs or songs that are just "faceless"...

evilsin and otenkiame like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    NO ME WITHOUT YOU

Average: 7,03
    Highest scorers: 10x2 (@Music Is Life, @RUNAWAY), 8,5x2 (@V3RYP05H and @me!)
    Lowest scorers: 3x1 (@Ana Raquel), 5x2 (@cookiedough, @lalaclairi_)
    My score: lookie above

We step into Top70 with another ballad being eliminated, but at least we already went past the 7 point average, which is the fastest of the four Parts of the rate (for those interested: Part I - #45, Part II - #57, Part III - #60). Produced by Matthew Tishler (Hirai Ken and Amuro Namie's "GROTESQUE") and Susan Markle (???) and written by them and Kumi, the song appeared as a new track on the "WINTER of LOVE" compilation that housed her most beloved ballads in contrast to "SUMMER of LOVE" summery bops. Despite "On And On" being the promotional track for the release, the song received a music video as well.

This one is great. Kumi's delivery is powerful and emotional, it has just the right amount of grittiness to it that it doesn't go overboard with it. Seriously, she did that. Elsewhere, the piano melody is pretty and memorable, and for once I think that a busier arrangement would take away from the song.

The lyrical content can be regarded as another love song, still I'm pretty sure this is more about Kumi's love for her fans. I don't know about you, Kuu, but there is certainly no me without you, so I'm glad that the feeling is mutual.

There's no me without you

I'll keep singing my song
    Even if it's painful and I want to cry whenever I struggle
    I'll say it over and over - my encore
    I want you to let me know - I know it's true
    (c) @otenkiame

[​IMG]

It is painful and I want to cry eliminating all these ballads, yes.

First we have @Ana Raquel (3) explaining herself, "out of all songs, this is the least melodically pleasing for me (i'm not the biggest hater of piano ballads - acoustic guitar ballads are my ultimate nemesis, but this one has nothing... interesting going on?)" What about, as @Yeziirl put it, vocalfaggotry?

Speaking of, here is @Yeziirl (7,5) saying just that, "too much voccalfaggotry". Well, I believe it's a perfect amount.

I really do feel sorry that I couldn't meet @otenkiame (8), when I was in Tokyo, "A sweet ode to her fans! And Kuu goes way crazy with her delivery, making this song so dramatic and full of unbridled emotion. I dig it nowadays, actually. Such a breath of fresh air in a sea of her ballads that can sometimes feel uninspired." Maybe someday.

And to finish us all off is @RUNAWAY (10), "So incredible and gorgeous, and that PV is so stunningly beautiful. This is one of my favorite ballads of hers, EVER. And I don’t see that ever changing." Glad you love it so much, I think it deserves it.

Kumi performed this as an opening for her 15th anniversary converts "The Artist", which was a bit of a moment. Can't find any footage online sadly.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  9. Back when music videos were not black and white on a gray background. What a time!

YourLeadSinger, otenkiame and evilsin like this.
  10. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Emotionless whores.....

cookiedough, evilsin and otenkiame like this.
  11. Due to the lack of real painful cuts I am just here to express my love for this GIF artworks again. I am in awe every time.

mi|kshake, evilsin and otenkiame like this.
  12. Ballads dropping like flies is getting a bit old...I mean, we have "Bring It On" sitting right there. *Eherm*

13. Discovering Stand By You and On My Way - beautiful and well sung ballads, but a little on the forgettable side - so not too surprised Ballad-phobia claimed them here! (Really makes me glad I went with You Won't See Me Coming instead of We Were Lovers for Gankutsuou in the Anime Rate too despite loving the latter oh so much! dddd)

Thoughts on the next few songs #soon! Lovely to discover Kumi's music this way!

14. If we're talking about uptempos that have overstayed their welcome... I'm pointing an accusatory finger at both LIFE so GOOD!! and Put Your Hands Up!!! GTFO!!!!

15. I can't believe I have to say it, but really, I agree with other people here that last few ballads were much better than some of the songs we have left on the rate...

16. Glad some of you started seeing how ridiculous the results have been. Yes, the ballad in this Part might not be on par with her best, still there are a couple of up-tempos that could have vacated before some of these ballads.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Weslicious and Yeziirl like this.
  17. Gimme U needs to be sent on a long walk in the park ASAP.

evilsin, mi|kshake and Yeziirl like this.
  18. Not gonna lie I can barely remember how any of these elimated songs go...

19. Am I insane for updating this thread every hour?

Sprockrooster, RUNAWAY and evilsin like this.
  20. Yes you're

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.