The Koda Kumi Rate: PART IV. All things come to an end, WINNER announced

Which short track / interlude if your favorite / deserves a full version?

• Introduction ~WALK OF MY LIFE~

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Interlude ~Dance~

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Introduction ~My music is designed from my DNA~

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
DEVASTATED one of my contenders for an 11 didn’t make the Top 25! I adore “HAIRCUT”, I can see how people would think it’s messy but I think it’s strength lies in the unraveling of each element. I mean, the first time I heard it, it caught me off guard. The almost-Cabaret number like harmonies on “loosen my hair” after the bratty raps leading into a smooth middle-8 before going into a deliciously explosive chorus (with dramatic stabs!) really make this a highlight for me. What a fun ride and a shame it’s out so early.

Honestly, not everything! I've written this commentary almost a year ago already, I just changed scores once in a while and that's it, ddd (I guess ddd means laugh?). So it's also intriguing for me.
I believe "ddd" was used instead of "n n n", which really is a kind of a sound of annoyance maybe with a hint of whining?
DEVASTATED one of my contenders for an 11 didn’t make the Top 25! I adore “HAIRCUT”, I can see how people would think it’s messy but I think it’s strength lies in the unraveling of each element. I mean, the first time I heard it, it caught me off guard. The almost-Cabaret number like harmonies on “loosen my hair” after the bratty raps leading into a smooth middle-8 before going into a deliciously explosive chorus (with dramatic stabs!) really make this a highlight for me. What a fun ride and a shame it’s out so early.
Okay, werk.

Don't you know, hot?
Do you wanna get xxx feeling, bra-bam, bra-ba

tybWUyO.gif

32b
PIECE IN THE PUZZLE

Average: 8,14
Highest scorers: 10x2 (@Music Is Death, @Yeziirl), 9,5x1 (@RUNAWAY)
Lowest scorers: 6,5x2 (@cookiedough, @Ana Raquel), 7x3 (@mi|kshake, @Cutlery, @V3RYP05H)
My score: 9

Let's take a walk back to "WALK OF MY LIFE", shall we? Produced by Bhavik Pattani and William Henry (nothing else of note for these two) and written by them, Maegan Cottone (Little Mix's "Lightning"), Rick Wilde (Kim Wilde's brother, who also worked on a lot of her songs) and Kumi, the track appears as an album exclusive one.

This is so good, y'all. And judging by the scores y'all didn't really hate it, which is very reassuring. The way the eletronic elements merge with rock here is superb, it creates such a rush of a song. It's big, it's epic, it's dirty, it's clean, it's catchy and it's so freaking good. That pre-chorus might just be one of the best melodies Kumi has in her discography. And when it comes to the chorus Kuu bring her A game, because she sounds phenominal. Whereas the rest of the album tends to be on the shouty side, here she is in the perfect balance of everything. I can't get enough of those longer notes every two words in the chorus, as they are seriously enchanting. It also somehow manages to sound like it's 4+ minutes when it's actually just a little over the 3 minutes mark.

The lyrics, apart from the the English parts in the chorus, don't make much sense to me. Guess, she's the one?

No escaping it till the end - I'm hot

"S" on my chest
Gonna try your luck? If you put in your piece
with feelings like that, then I don't need it
(c) @otenkiame

She's Supergirl now? Also why she sang the whole chorus as "the piece is the puzzle" and not a single person corrected her, dddd?

@Cutlery (7) is insane, "At some points her delivery sounds reggae-ish, which I like and find the most interesting thing about the track" That's the most interesting part to you? Jesus.

A casual afformation of my thoughts from @otenkiame (9), you know, the usual, "An instant favourite of mine! Love that aggressive rock track with some great beats to boot, and then you've got Kuu adding a lot of flair with some tongue rolls. I think as far as rock tracks go, this is one of her best. Everything about it just sounds so...authentic?"

@RUNAWAY (9.5) thinks it a real jam and he loves her deep vocals on this, "love her deep vocals on this song, and it’s a real jam."

Kumi managed to crack @Yeziirl's (10) code when it comes to rock tracks, "A rock song that I like? Wow! Very great tempo from start to finish, doesn’t become boring at all throughout the song and the breakdown fits perfectly. You can see even tho it is also quite shouty, the vibe here is right, on the contrary to Dance in the rain chorus. “Ass on my chest Bram bam Bram bam” I’m touched! “Illest the curve” I want more!"

@Music Is Death (10) is into things that tend to pound, "LOVE the electric guitar and the pounding beats, and her weird vocal tricks. The handclap filled pre-chorus, and the way it builds, leading into that pounding rock feel of a chorus is a huge moment. Honestly an 11 contender already. The guitar breakdown is EVERYTHING." Oh, so guess it was the appropriate amount of pounding you received from this one, huh?

The track was performed during its parent album's tour in the rock section along with "Fake Tongue". The live version had some more strings/synths in the chorus and a fuller sounding middle 8.

I’m surprised I gave it a 7 honestly because I’ve always found This song to be “meh” for me. It just doesn’t take me anywhere interesting and I tend to skip it either when I shuffle Kuu or while listening to the album.

I’m surprised I gave it a 7 honestly because I’ve always found This song to be “meh” for me. It just doesn’t take me anywhere interesting and I tend to skip it either when I shuffle Kuu or while listening to the album.
Well, we all wrong sometimes and this time you're definitely wrong.

And what is missing out on Top30, you ask?

Welcome to the jungle
Watch out!! Crocodiles!!!

lXXmZth.gif

ScREaM

Average: 8,18
Highest scorers: 10x3 (@RUNAWAY, @Music Is Death, @Yeziirl), 9x2 (@Ana Raquel, @Sprockrooster)
Lowest scorers: 5x1 (@me!), 6,5x2 (@cookiedough, @mi|kshake)
My score: lookie above

Back to "DNA" we come. Produced by Wakisaka Mayu (a lot of nice KPop songs), Daniel Kim (LOONA's "Where You At") and Mitsu.J ("Dreaming Now!", "Shake Hip!") and written by Kumi, the track was one of the newer album tracks that appeared on the album.

I have very comflicting feelings towards this. It's not bad and I, as you should already know, love the quirk, so why does this one irritate me ever so slightly? The fact that this almost made it into Top30 infuriates me even more, and I can't really complain, because I'm listening to this again for the elimination on loop and it works it's weird magic on me. I have to admit that this indeed has some catchy moments that latch onto you and eat your brain with a spoon. Still memorability isn't the only quality that we're looking in a song, right? I know I certainly am, so this one might grow on me in time, but for now, it's the last of the three 5s my lowest scorers of the rate.

The song's message is about surviving and thriving even in the tough conditions, looks like.

There's a rainbow
I hear a voice say "hello"
Always we follow
Swallow the pain
You're gonna get up, right?
Everyone's, yeah, a survivor
We never give up
Raising our voices
Yeah yeah

(c) @otenkiame

Should I feel it with my lauder, Kuu?

@otenkiame (8) liked the track quite a bit despite its shortcomings, "A fun track all around. A little tongue-in-the-cheek with the overused but not unwelcome use of the similar sounding "ice cream" and "I scream". Then there's great use of piano and the overall hip-hop vibe of the track. I don't think the middle eight works that well, but I dig the track enough to not care." I actually liked the middle 8, dddd.

@Yeziirl (10) makes me "huh?" at his commentary, "That is a very smart and elegant song. I like the symbolism and how smooth it is. There isn’t a single part of the song which you don’t like and everything just fits!!!" Please tell me this is sarcastic, although seeing your score this might be genuine.

Kuu performed this one during the "DNA" tour. The performance had her against the monitor with the animations of a skateboard and whatnot that made the suspended in the air Kumi look like she was doing all the things.

TOP30

scA9Lts.jpg

Dance In The Rain
Lippy
Mercedes
Like It
House Party
HOTEL
Gimme U
You can keep up with me

MONEY IN MY BAG
PIECE IN THE PUZZLE
Fake Tongue

Sometimes Dreams Come True
LIFE so GOOD!!

WALK OF MY LIFE
05/14

Z05EtAO.jpg

BRIDGET SONG
Bring It On
Yorokobi no Kakera
Stand By You
Suki de Shite
Kimi Omoi
On my way
What's Up
Promise you
My fun

00/10

Msngo2o.jpg

W FACE
Ultraviolet
insane
Damn real
Heartless
Bassline
Shhh!
Bangerang
Wicked Girls
Cupcake feat. AKLO
09/10

ch7qrHm.jpg

PARTY
SWEETEST TABOO
GOT ME GOING'

WHO
OUTTA MY HEAD
NEVER ENOUGH
ALL RIGHT

LIT
BRAIN
IT'S MY LIFE
04/10

T1rH7yF.jpg

HUSH
Dangerous
WATCH OUT!! ~DNA~
ScREaM
CHANCES ALL
Aenaku Naru Kurai Nara

HAIRCUT
Guess Who Is Back
HOT HOT
Kokoro kara i love u
Work That
Pin Drop
04/12

1IvGC4d.jpg

DO ME
GET NAKED
STRIP
k,
Rich & Famous feat. Sean Paul
again
Merry Go Round
Eh Yo

GOLDFINGER 2019 / Livin' La Vida Loca
Put Your Hands Up!!!
Summer Time
OMG
SHUTOUT
04/13

EXTRAS

TURN AROUND
SO FEVER
NEVER GIVE IT UP
EX TAPE
HURRICANE
NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU
Wanderin' Destiny
On And On
NO ME WITHOUT YOU
Soba ni Ite

puff
04/11

Surprise 11 elimination ahoy!

"Bitch, luck?"

bjGVa0n.gif

Lippy

Average: 8,21
Highest scorers: 11x1 (@V3RYP05H), 10x3 (@Remorque, @Yeziirl, @Sprockrooster), 8,5x2 (@RUNAWAY and @me!)
Lowest scorers: 5x1 (@mi|kshake), 6,5x1 (@cookiedough)
My score: lookie above

And now "WALK OF MY LIFE" has 4 songs left as well, just as all the other albums except for "W FACE ~outside~" and "W FACE ~inside~" dddd. Produced by Bhavik Pattani ("PIECE IN THE PUZZLE") and written by him, Phil Anquetil (Ayumi's "Wake me up"), Christina Parie (???) and Kumi, the track was of the newer album variety.

This is fun. Bratty Kumi always had a bit of an edge on me. This kind of songs just work for her and this one was no exception. Production wise the synths here are just *chef's kiss*. The way they twist and contort during the song is just delicious and the overall feeling of the track giving off a noisy in a good way atmosphere is great. The stealthy drum'n'bass-y beat that is spread along the song is quite nice as well. The pre-chorus / chorus combo getting some good melodies was also a big plus.

Lyrically this is about the way Kumi might be perceived by the public? She's definitely quite outspoken and sometimes can't keep her tongue behind her teeth, remember Kingdom era?

Sincerity∞Insincerity
Even answers we can't give tout honesty
"I can't agree with that - the present is everything"

I don't know why
Don't want to be bound either
I don't know why
The same thing is meaningless
Don't you know boy
I don't want it to be known either
So they say, I'm lippy like a rude girl

(c) @otenkiame

Better being honest than deceitful.

@Music Is Death (8) was one letter away from "meh", "The drums are kinda bonkers, and the verses are intense. I want this to work or me more than it is, but it’s kinda eh. I like it but…yeah. Eh." Watch it.

The synths were a bit too much for the aging rusting @Cutlery (8), "A blip bloop bop. The production does threaten to give me a headache at points though, but I like that for Lippy."

@otenkiame (8) was one again in agreement with me, this time over Kumi's attitude, "An urban track that's often been described as too messy. I, on the other hand, like it quite a bit. Kuu does a lot of rapping for the verses and gives a great performance. Yeah, the hooks are a bit all over the place, but I'm here for that sass Kuu is serving us."

It's always about some kind of orgasms or body fluids with @Yeziirl (10), isn't it? "Cocky over the top banger! This song showcases Kumi’s ability to the fullest, one of my favorites definitely. When I hear it its like an instant mental and physical energy boost, like caffeine addiction, once you are over listening to it you just repeat it in your head over and over again. That amen break fits like cherry on the cake here! Ad libs are perfect, those Ah-ah-ah send me to eargasm heaven!"

@Sprockroster (10) fell victim to the catchy qualities of the track, "I do not know if this is a slutjam, but it sounds like a sister to Lil Kim's How Many Licks. Me going Lippy Lippy Lippy-chanting and people have no clue what the hell I am singing." Confuse the masses!

And finally @V3RYP05H (11) isn't a stranger to the subject matter, "“Lippy” got my 11 because it was honestly unexpected on my first listen, some Drum&Bass-influenced pop with her (quality) rap flow just did it for me and I remember putting it on repeat my first run of the album. The echoey “UHuhUHuhUH” that permeates throughout the song (as if some mockingly defiant vocalization) has always stuck with me, and despite not knowing Japanese, you’ll find me singing along. Not to mention it was the first time I heard the term “lippy” used in a pop song and I really appreciated as I’ve gotten called that a few times in my youth. I’m still sad it didn’t get a video but it’ll always be my favorite off the album (and of the 80 songs, narrowly beating out a few of the 10s)." I really didn't expect this to get anyone's 11, but I'm certainly glad it did.

The song has been performed exclusively during the "WALK OF MY LIFE" tour.