The Koda Kumi Rate: PART IV. All things come to an end, WINNER announced | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: PART IV. All things come to an end, WINNER announced

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Jun 22, 2020.

?

Which short track / interlude if your favorite / deserves a full version?

1. Introduction ~WALK OF MY LIFE~

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Interlude ~Dance~

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Introduction ~My music is designed from my DNA~

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. s t o p these ties please they are eliminating my 10s!!!

evilsin and Yeziirl like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Damn, I knew it!
    That infamous Lariss' video...

But when we all thought Kumi was picking songs from first two soundcloud pages, in reality it was children song contest, her mind, I can't! Robbing children since 2016!

Still, I am happy my 11 contender got this far and that it got some outing during recent My Name Is tour, it was dope!

mi|kshake, evilsin and RUNAWAY like this.
  3. I really should've adjusted my scores after everyone voted just so we had less ties, dddd.

Ana Raquel, mi|kshake and RUNAWAY like this.
  4. Ok, stop!
    What's the hurry?
    Don't stop to worry
    Don't stop to worry​

Stepping to steps, oh, stepping to steps
    There's is no rules, no rules

[​IMG]
    15b
    Wicked Girls

Average: 8,53
    Highest scorers: 10x2 (@V3RYP05H, @Yeziirl), 9,5x2 (@Cutlery, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest scorers: 6x1 (@cookiedough), 6,5x1 (@mi|kshake)
    My score: 8

This elimination notwithstanding, "outside" is still in the lead with the most tracks left. Produced by Otsuki Yuka (Taemin's "Flame Of Love") and written by her and Kumi, the track was one of the promotional ones for the album, that's why it got a dance music video filled with comic book stylized effects.

Looks like I was feeling very generous the day I was rating this, because truthfully I never cared much for this. It has all of the aspirations of a great track with a lot of catchy and memorable moments, but ultimately it falls a little be short for me. Especially all of the circus themed sounds in the arrangement, they make this sound kinda cheaper than it really is. I adore the pre-chorus' melody and delivery though, so there is that, yes. The way every second chorus has a more mellow sound to it is also nice. At the end of the day, I'm not a big fan of it.

The lyrics are all about being a girl in this modern world.

Monday, I've grown my bangs a bit, but I get a little cut
    Tuesday, an incoming call, mm... whatever
    Wednesday, catching sight of a sale, I dive in
    Thursday, today I feel like taking the day off
    I gotta go now

Friday, I check what's trending on Insta!
    Saturday, can't leave my bed from the morning
    Sunday escaping reality with a US drama
    Every day having girls' talk on LINE
    I gotta go now

(c) @otenkiame

Hey, I always thinking about talking a day off on Thursday as well.

@otenkiame (8) made me double back, "Okay, I am all about this track with its synths and those cow-bell sounds. I feel like there are a lot of those out there who don't like this, though? Not sure how true that is, but I am in love with the hooks regardless. It gets the job done in my opinion." Yes, cowbell is nice, guess it did influence my final score, huh?

@Cutlery (9,5) here's more to the song, "Hands up wicked gherls! Such a fun little bop that makes the most out of the showgirl vibe. Some of these lyrics… kii (or Kuu)" Hmm, "show girl" this is not, because let's be honest nothing is, but there is something... here.

And lastly @Yeziirl (10) makes it harder and harder for me to like him, "Hey, that’s the better winner girls! I tried so hard to find something negative about this song, but I couldn’t. It is insanely fun and cohesive. Go, wiked girlz!" "Winner Girls" is a 10 though.

Kumi performed the track during "W Face" tour in a medley with "HURRICANE" and "MONEY IN MY BAG".​

Also stumbled upon this nice mash-up.

5. show girl > Wicked Girls >>> Winner Girls

Yeziirl, evilsin and cookiedough like this.
  6. I agree.

7. Sorry Wikimedia foundation. Boys not allowed.

evilsin likes this.
  8. Winner Girls, Show Girl, Wicked Girls for me.

evilsin likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    Want some tea? Winner Girls has 7.78 average. Bye!

Cutlery and evilsin like this.
  10. That's just because y'all are tasteless and it requires a certain level of sophistication to fully appreciate the grandeur of "Winner Girls".

mi|kshake and otenkiame like this.
  11. Attack like a machine gun fire!
    Tra ta ta ta ta tra tra ta ta ta ta ta

[​IMG]
    15c
    Ultraviolet

Average: 8,53
    Highest scorers: 10x2 (@V3RYP05H, @Music Is Death), 9,5x1 (@Yeziirl)
    Lowest scorers: 7x2 (@Weslicious, @lalaclairi_), 7,5x1 (@mi|kshake)
    My score: 8,5

And I oop- another one for "outside". Produced by Sean Alexander (Ryu SuJeong's "Tiger Eyes") and written by him, Valeria Del Prete (GFriend's "Tarot Cards") and Kumi, the track served it's purpose of a promotional track by getting a dance-centric music video.

The scream before every chorus is me, when it come to Kumi, dddd. The song is good, but it's a lot of thing at once, so I can see how it might not be everyone's liking. Perhaps it could use a bit more polish. In the end it's hectic, haphazard and volatile and actually really like these characteristics about it. The amount of energy thrown at us right from the get-go is astounding and it doesn't really let up right up until the end. Imagine performing this song live every night of the tour? Jesus. Kumi's delivery is very playful and without overdoing it so it matches the song perfectly.

Lyrically this is a party song with a hint of self-helping.

I won't let you get in the way; you can't put an end to this
    Believing in yourself, to the place we should go higher higher
    Stepped in a single step
    Can't back down; never back
    The self you hate to the past
    Let's take a wager, let's go

(c) @otenkiame

Do I have to twerk it though?

@Cutlery (8) appreciates the slower part of the song, "The piano pre-chorus? A bit of a moment. I appreciate that she does the sound effects with her voice and the vocal inflections in general. Oh and of course her singing about twerking." The pre-chorus is indeed a bit of a moment.

It appears that @otenkiame (8) had a similar journey with this one as me, "I kind of found this to be a bit derivative at first, but I've come to just not care much considering how much fun and confidence Kuu exudes. I guess it's safe to say that if it's a bop, I'm generally going to get into it one way or another. So, yeah, "Ultraviolet" is a lot of fun and that's all it needs to be." Figures.

At this point it seems that liking Kumi's music is some kind of masochistic torture for @Yeziirl (9,5), "That’s just the epitome of cringe, right from the first notes, you know it’s going to be awfully bad. However, you end up listening to this shit again and again, like really man? Yes, been there done that! Lyrics are so stupid like “Chiki Chiki cha tiki tiki ta” dafuq? Except for the fact that it’s stuck in your head now. The chorus is iconic “Gotta twerk this baby” I think it’s the part of Kumi’s life where she discovered urban dictionary and just went crazy! Despite awful production and muffled vocals, I give it 9.5/10 because there’s not enough cringe slang words in the breakdown to make this song extra super fun!"

"Ultraviolet" had its first outing on TV before the album's release and then also appeared during "W FACE" and "DNA" tours. The latest appearence for it was during the recent "MY NAME IS..." tour.​

12. Am I the only one who thinks that dance in Ultraviolet doesn't really match the song? And I'm not only talking about twerking, but just the whole thing....

evilsin likes this.
  13. Yes.

14. Ah, look at my body, yeah
    Look! Don't touch
    I'm gonna go bounce on it

[​IMG]
    13a
    STRIP

Average: 8,57
    Highest scorers: 10x3 (@Weslicious, @cookiedough, @Music Is Death), 9,5x1 (@Yeziirl)
    Lowest scorers: 7x1 (@Ana Raquel), 7,5x3 (@Sprockrooster, @mi|kshake, @V3RYP05H)
    My score: 8

"re(CORD)" is on the verge of going out entirely now as well, since "SHUTOUT" is the final song left in the running. Produced by DWB (BoA's "Right Here, Right Everywhere") and Katerina Bramley ("EX TAPE") and written by her and Kumi, the track was used to promote the album, that's why it got a music video, where Kumi from the "JAPONESQUE" tour confronts Kumi from "re(LIVE)" tour. We only have a short version online uploaded officially, due to the fact that the full version is only available on the fanclub edition of the "re(LIVE)" tour DVDs and Blu-rays. Consumerism queen. This was also used in a dorama titled "Rika". Anybody watched? Any good?

A pretty tight track, this one. Kumi has always been one of the main moving forces in terms of pushing the narrative of a strong independent woman who is confident in her sexuality ever since the "Cutie Honey" days, so this is perfectly up her alley. The subdued prodution is wonderful and is essential for a track you're supposed to strip to. The delivery of the line is nothing special in the verses, but the pre-chorus and the chorus is where Kuu really shines. Moreover, that sensual middle 8 took me by surprise the first time I heard the track. Talk about understated in the best way possible. I wish we had something a little different for the ending though, hence my final score.

You know what this one is about, you filth.

You want me
    to be your private dancer, right?
    I'll grant your wish tonight
    (c) @otenkiame

I remember out good buddy @otenkiame was very frustrated with this one lyrics wise due to Kumi sprinkling English words randomly.

Mind commenting on that one, @otenkiame (8)? "Damn, Kuu really went for similar songs in "re(CORD)", didn't she? I appreciate the cool and seductive rap she gives, even though some of the mixing of English and Japanese don't make a lot of sense to me. And even if she's basically just using every word overused in rap songs (though it's not like I'm not tryna get down and act a stupid fool anyway). Also I love the pre-choruses (they should've been longer, honestly!)" The pre-chorus is indeed lovely.

@Cutlery (8,5) thought that Kuu was onto something with this one, "It really has the makings of a sensual Kuu classic." True, it almost had it all.

@Yeziirl (9,5) had me right up until the last sentence, "a lot better than Get Naked cause it at-least has some lead synths in the background. Yolosweg at it’s finest. But the chorus saves it from being too boring. Kumi is iconically rhyming strip with dip and trip, like a boss. Nicki Minaj has just retired and decided to quit rap. I think verses are very lacking sonically. Like they don’t really go well with bridges that sound quite good. Overall I can get behind the flaws due to its’ iconic nature!! (Also that whispering breakdown is weird as fuck and just drags the song unnecessarily)" Get the fuck out already.

Love how @Weslicious (10) is always so attentive to details, "This was so close to being my 11. It is a near flawless track. Literally, the closest I could find to a problem with it, is when the 90 second teaser video was released it played both choruses together, which it doesn’t in the final track. They should have done that for a third chorus then I'd be stuck with two 11’s." See, I've never noticed this until you mentioned that and I totally agree that doing this would've given this more oomph.

So far Kumi hasn't performed this live, which is sad. Hopefully it's not another "JUICY" situation.

15. I like how music video is just her on gray backdrop again, it's almost as if she had some spare minutes during her tour jacket shooting and was like "well I can't waste this time, I paid for it, let's film that Strip music video."

Also I didn't know Bramley took part in writing it, neat!

cookiedough and evilsin like this.
  16. Funnily enough it's probably how it went, considering her budgeting now is definitely lower than it was.

Yeziirl and cookiedough like this.
  17. The “anata no private dancer” part is legit one of my favourite moments in any Koda Kumi song. So glad to see this firmly in the top 20.

Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  18. Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu
    Sho-shotgun hourikomu

Sho-shotgun hourikomu

[​IMG]
    13b
    SHUTOUT

Average: 8,57
    Highest scorers: 10x5 (@Cutlery, @V3RYP05H, @Music Is Death, @Yeziirl and @me!), 9x2 (@RUNAWAY, @Remorque)
    Lowest scorers: 7x2 (@Sprockrooster, @mi|kshake), 7,5x4 (@otenkiame, @Ana Raquel, @lalaclairi_, @cookiedough), 8x1 (@Weslicious) that's all of our voters, dddd.
    My score: lookie above

And after a lengthy break of 37 eliminations Jesus we're losing a second album. I can't stress how happy I am that "SHUTOUT" is the last one to go from "re(CORD)". Well, technically it's going together with "STRIP", still it got more 10s to its name. Produced by Andreas Oberg (BoA's "Message"), Okajima Kanata (BoA's "Shout It Out") and Genda Soma (BoA's "Watashi Kono Mama Ii De Kana") and written by Kumi, we first got to listen to the track during "re(LIVE)" where its music video was used as an interlude movie. It's cute that its final hurrah is with "STRIP", since music video wise it has similar plot of Kumi from "Black Cherry" tour confronting Kumi from "re(LIVE)" tour.

My 11 contender. It's the best track on the album hands down. It's catchy and amorphous changing its way all the time. And don't make me start on that chorus that has three different iterations of short, long-ass and average in legth. It was a great decision to put them in that order to freshen up the fomulaic nature of pop songs, although I still can't help but feel that if they switched the two last choruses making the last one the longest, it would've had a bigger impact. Elsewhere, the production takes the cake and eats it too, as the fuzzy synths coalesce with the cascading beat. Moreover Kumi sounds engaging and energetic going high and low, screaming and whispering in the ad-libs and doing what she's always done the best - making me live my whole damn life. I would've loved for it to go Top10, but you get what you get in the end and, hey, no actual low score is a win in my books.

The message of the song elude me though. Is it about Kumi being a good shot or something?

Is that okay? You are crazy
    Accept your mind
    It'll crumble down
    C'mon, c'mon
    It's come: the countdown
    Shutout the wicked thoughts
    I'll aim 1 shot
    I'll make it now, so, look
    If you want me
    to shutdown,
    don't put on a front
    This is gonna end with one hand, right?
    (c) @otenkiame

It always ends with one hand for me, dddd.

Do y'all think @otenkiame (7,5) should have give this a higher score? "Definitely love the sass and attitude Kuu gives right from the start in this trapish track. Very cool and on brand. Even the almost "bored" vocals she gives during the "shotgun" part sounds so damn cool. I'm gonna say that this is what "re(CORD)" should've ended on (not “Livin La Vida Loca”)." I think he should have.

@Yeziirl (10) quotes himself? "let me quote myself again “certified bop!” This is the only song on the album that Kumi got perfectly right imo. Very nice sonic diversity from iconic nasal rap and gentle singing, to catchy chanting and ending in dramatic climax. And see it is perfectly mastered, no weird adlibs that don’t match the volume of the track, no muffled backings, everything sounds sharp and crisp. Why other tracks had short end of a stick?" They didn't have Andreas Oberg.

@Cutlery's (10) commentary is sharp and to the point, "I can't get enough of this. The synths-heavy production fits Kuu to a T, the hooks are undeniable and the song gets me moving." Indeed.

Kumi hasn't performed this one live either.

19. Even here I am in the lowest scorers? I feel evil!

evilsin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.