The Lana Del Rey Discography Rate

From one side, I feel like this was underscored as it's easily in her top 3 tracks for me, but I also feel like it did great, considering the negativity that surrounded the whole Chemtrails era. My only surprise is how the title track managed to beat it, but I guess the gorgeous but not-for-everybody vocals were the reason.

he/him
Expecting “White Dress” cracking the Top 3 in Lana’s complete discography rate is high key naive and on you, not on other voters dd. It’s an excellent result!

1705083933318-gif.49536

Oh wow I was 100% sure Ms. Down in the men in music business conference would be the highest Chemtrails song, it's most often lauded as a modern Lana classic from the album and for good reason

It made me feel, made me feel like a god
It kinda makes me feel, like maybe I was better off

*Background drums and percussion crescendoing*
'Cause it made me feel, made me feel like a god
Kinda makes me feel like maybe I was better off

E_d6MRPVgAQX6AT.jpg

I've been a big defender of its parent album throughout the rate so this is probably an obvious choice for me, but I'll still try to articulate why White Dress feels so special. She's often romanticized the past but rarely has it felt so intimate. It's such a vapor of a song, that vocal somehow both strained and longing conveying this visceral sense of losing something you didn't realize was so important. That's the thing with nostalgia: it's so often colored by loss that it's impossible to ever retain that same feeling in the way it was first experienced. Instead, there are simply the sketches of memory to signpost a world less frayed: jazz on the lawn, singing in the street, night shifts and summer heat. In this sense, the song is about more than nostalgia itself and rather about how freedom creates the dilemma of choice, and what does it mean when our choices feel unconnected yet definitive? "If I could do it all again I'd fly." White Dress is a microcosm of summers we've all had and we'll never get back.

The loss of youth feels so significant not because of age but in the loss of a world more easily contained, when innocence was a conduit for bravery and potential still felt exciting rather than daunting. I think the production is a subtle marvel as well, that piano fading in and the cymbal rolls ramping up to create an atmosphere of time slipping into the ether. Very few songs hit me the way this one does, previously I'd say it was probably White Ferrari by Frank? I couldn't give my 11 to anything else, and given that it's more polarizing I'm at peace with how far it managed to climb here.

"Sun stare, don't care."

I'm just over here vigorously nodding to all this White Dress commentary. It's not just nostalgia that the song embodies but that one singular moment where you realize you're growing up and all those endless possibilities are drying up all around you. You don't even realize you're nostalgic because you've never experienced the feeling before. The song is so generous and beautiful, and quite daring in it's own quiet way. Absolutely the highlight of her discography for me, it reminds me a bit of this classic.

Any/All

The prettiest dolls in the rate. Everyone else doesn't know what it feels like to feel like a god. White Dress is indeed the best song Lana has put her name to but it will take some of y'all (4? Really?) another couple albums to get it.

"White Dress" stands as one of those melodic monoliths in Lana's career where I just went "it's over!" as soon as I pressed play and that piano melody came swooning in. I remember feeling apprehensive about my first listen because people had already been dragging her vocal performance, but when I got to *that* part I immediately thought... that's it? I still don't understand what's so offensive about it, like let the girls play with their vokelles challenge! Do that challenge! Observe how her choice of phrasing combined with her airiness infuses the song with an elusive sense of urgency that other girls spend years chasing challenge! And keep in mind, I was in the throes of my animosity towards her.

Last edited:
I didn't even remember I gave it 10 so I went to play it again and yeah it definitely deserves it. It's just hard to register it as a Lana Del Rey Top 10 song because I really haven't listened to Chemtrails as much.

Wow. I can't even begin to express how happy I am that White Dress made it to the Top 10. I honestly was not expecting that (or for 2 songs from Chemtrails to make it)!

But yeah. I could write a lot about what White Dress means to me, but whew... I don't think I have the energy today. Just know that I cried on *first listen*. And plenty of times since. Probably her rawest and most honest album opener ever. The loose, off-the-cuff vibe only adds to its quiet, existential magic. It nails that reflective feeling, when you look back at your late teens/early twenties, when you're working your first job, thinking "This must be what adulthood is like" when really it's just your last taste of vibrant, unfettered youth, before life becomes much more complex. And then you wish you could go back to that point in time, when everything was just beginning......

This is my straight brother's favorite Lana song. I played it a couple times for him in the car and I swear I saw him start to tear up before he gathered control of himself. He still doesn't know I found it in his top Spotify playlists. But that's okay. If you let it, it's a song that can hit you in the heart, hard.

The way National Anthem feels woefully out of its place.. the fact that it ranked higher than White Dress is a testament to the current state of the world. State of Emergency!!!!!!!!!!

The way National Anthem feels woefully out of its place.. the fact that it ranked higher than White Dress is a testament to the current state of the world. State of Emergency!!!!!!!!!!
National Anthem is a complete package though, like you had to be there for that part of the Born to Die era. The video, the looks, the getting trampled while seeing her live as she comes off the stage to take selfies for 15 mins while they play the outro, everything.

rdp

he/him
Ahem

ab67616d0000b273669fba41f6112b7f6fd06189

national-anthem.png

Score: 9.283

Highest score: 10 x 27 (@1991, @Applause, @aux, @Babylon, @BubblegumBoy, @Consideration, @Dijah, @dontkillmyvibe, @drewsky, @eatyourself, @Euphoria, @happiestgirl, @Joe., @Lately, @-M-, @Mistress of All Evil, @Phonetics Girl, @R27, @Remorque, @Remyky22, @RoamRanger, @Sally_Harper, @sfmartin, @SlowGinFizzzz, @soratami, @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper)
Lowest score: 6 (@dylanaber)

The fourth single from ‘Born To Die’, National Anthem was co-written with Justin Parker, Penny Foster & The Nexus, and produced by Emile Haynie & Jeff Bhasker. Like on Off To The Races, Lana flaunts her storytelling skills as, over less than four minutes, she transitions from portraying an innocent girl to a confident social climber then again to a lonely trophy wife. It is perhaps her most severe takedown of the American Dream™ in the album… yet it still was misinterpreted by her critics, such as Lorde ñn.

The song initially made its way to the interwebz in 2011, in the form of a demo entirely produced by The Nexus. There are like 23248 other demo versions (including an even older version with a different chorus called I Want It All), so I’ll just embed the earliest leaked (and most popular) one, marked by its electric guitar backing. Haynie’s take transforms that rockier tune into a more somber hip-hop song, with the bonus of a string intro that closely recalls The Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony — but deviates enough from it to not be considered an interpolation. Personally, I really enjoy both takes, and regardless of individual preference, I think we can all agree there’s no denying the rush of energy of that chorus.

For the demo lovers, a homemade music video for it also exists, which showcases the charisma she already possessed in her early days as she dances to the song in a hotel room. It’s actually worth a watch, but obviously not as much as the classic mini-movie created for the album version, directed by Anthony Mandler. I mean, what other music video features a monologue so good a great deal of people still believe it was an actual letter written by Jackie Kennedy AND inspired an Oscar nominated movie starring Natalie Portman? (Just kidding on the latter half, but… who knows). It really remains one for the ages, in all aspects.

Commentary:

@Remorque (10) I've always fucking loved this. So many references, all the little switches in the tempo she sings it in, the fireworks with the muffled people noise,... It's a bop.

@Sally_Harper (10) I love this song and still consider it one of her best. “Red, white, blue’s in the sky, summer’s in the air and baby heaven’s in your eEeEyYeEs” is fucking brilliant.

@Sprockrooster (10): That music video monologue had me shaken to my core. Especially being a fan since video games. This music video was such a knock out it elevated the track to a high that made it essential late night music listening.

@Cutlery (9.5): If I was from the US I know I'd blast this every fourth of July at the obligatory grill. It's a movie in song form, and I loved it so much I remember saving every demo I could find of the track. The bridge is one of her best, so poignant and she really pulled the curtains back for that one and let us peek behind her Americana persona.

@constantino (8): I was so obsessed with the demo as a kid that it took me about 7 years to appreciate the album version.

@New Flame (8): King of Chevron. It has one of her best videos. There are also some good remixes on the bonus disc of the box set.

@RUNAWAY (7.5): a finished version of the demo would’ve been perfection, but instead we got this…