The Last of Us (HBO)

Like, the game, I ended this season loving Joel, and Ellie and the two of them together. I understand disliking Joel but he makes the same choice I think most of us would in that situation. Everyone in that situation would have played it differently but the choice of saving Ellie would be the same. He can't stand to lose anyone else, especially another daughter and humanity is fucked anyway. But there's also the likelihood that it wouldn't have worked. This video goes into detail about it:

It doesn't ruin the ending for me in terms of the choice and the effect it has, because there was a chance, but it might ruin it for you so watch at your own risk. It also might have spoilers for part II but I'm not sure.
I'm excited for the devastating story that will be Part II in TV form. This was a fantastic adaptation and I can't wait to see what they do next.
Does the world even deserve saving, though. I almost side with Joel here, eking out a little happiness as the ship goes down. The only major issue I have is taking away Ellie’s agency in the matter.

But as far as I can tell, Its not like the Fireflies told Ellie she’d be sacrificing herself either. “She would want to do this.” Um, OK but did you ask her?
Based on everything we know and learn, I'm pretty sure they didn't talke to her about it beforehand, but if she had a choice, she would for sure have made a different one than Joel.

Glad to hear Part 2 will span more than one season, because I can't deny this season felt rushed. I appreciate the high tempo compared to The Walking Dead (sorry but it's inevitable), but ultimately it also took away much of the tension since you sort of always knew where each episode was heading. I realize that criticism isn't anything new, but with just two or three more episodes there could have been a whole different dynamic.

What I am grateful about is that they never felt the need to use cliffhangers.

Sam

he/they
Anyway

The episode did feel a bit rushed. That’s my only complaint. What a wonderfully faithful adaptation of the game. I’ve seen some grumblings online that the infected ought to have been more present and I do agree somewhat. The cure didn’t feel as vital without the constant reminder of why it was needed. I give it a 9.5/10 overall, I’ve been hooked.

I will say, the horror of the mother dying with her child not even a day old sold the horror and urgency of the situation to me. Imagine all the death and suffering that could have been avoided if Joel hadn't been so selfish. I can't say for sure what I would have done in his shoes as grief can make you do some pretty insane things and I'm not a parent but from the outside, he looks like a sociopath.

But I can recognize the high quality of the show that makes me feel so invested. I just watched a video on the feasibility of the Fireflies mass producing and distributing a vaccine, like that's a fictional show and I'm still thinking about that shit ddd

Glad to hear Part 2 will span more than one season, because I can't deny this season felt rushed. I appreciate the high tempo compared to The Walking Dead (sorry but it's inevitable), but ultimately it also took away much of the tension since you sort of always knew where each episode was heading. I realize that criticism isn't anything new, but with just two or three more episodes there could have been a whole different dynamic.

What I am grateful about is that they never felt the need to use cliffhangers.
I hope Season 2 finds better pacing that lies somewhere between the first and what The Walking Dead ended up doing. We don't need entire seasons dedicated to new towns/casts of characters, with no end in sight, but I wouldn't mind fleshing out each new stop across a few episodes.

I am surprised how much closure I felt from this finale; they really got to the end of this story, and so I'm left with excitement and concern about where it's heading next. Again, I just hope an endgame is planned because this could get old quickly, but it will be interesting to see how the dynamic between Joel and Ellie shifts as she begins to trust him less and he has to live with consequences of his decision, especially if he has to confront that with Tommy and his family.

I hope Season 2 finds better pacing that lies somewhere between the first and what The Walking Dead ended up doing. We don't need entire seasons dedicated to new towns/casts of characters, with no end in sight, but I wouldn't mind fleshing out each new stop across a few episodes.

I am surprised how much closure I felt from this finale; they really got to the end of this story, and so I'm left with excitement and concern about where it's heading next. Again, I just hope an endgame is planned because this could get old quickly, but it will be interesting to see how the dynamic between Joel and Ellie shifts as she begins to trust him less and he has to live with consequences of his decision, especially if he has to confront that with Tommy and his family.

Yes, the ending to Part 1 feels very complete to the point where I think a lot of people felt satisfied with the prospect of there never being a Part 2 and the story just ending on that bittersweet note of ambiguity.

Not for the first time, however, I urge anyone who hasn't played the games to have faith. Part 2 isn't a retread, it more than justifies its existence and it is ultimately a very different beast. It's not as tidy an experience but it's far more ambitious.

he/him
A great finale, a little bit rushed but I don’t mind because I dunno how else you’d space it out without the feeling the episode of getting repetitive.

I can see why the show has avoided lots of action scenes with infected. Joel’s montage of shooting his way through the hospital felt like he was superhuman or something. It was still brutal to watch and you felt why he did what he had to do.

I’ve said it before but I’ll echo it again. Season 2 will fix the issues some people will have with S1 with it jumping all over the place because 90% of Part 2 is set in one location

Going into this last ep I was a but disappointed to see it was the shortest of the series but they also did everything they needed to.

Something I would have done differently is introduce
Abby’s dad or even Abby to set up the next season and the consequences of what just transpired far reaching that of just Ellie and Joel’s relationship because as it stands, it was just a bunch of red shirt fireflies and Marlene. I think they missed a trick in not fleshing out the Fireflies more given that they had the space and time to do so that perhaps they didn’t have (or know to have) in the first game. But perhaps this shall be saved the next season so I am cautiously perched

I choked up at the beginning flashback with Ashley Johnson playing Ellie’s mum and loved the reveal of why Ellie is immune. Great way to tie game Ellie and show Ellie together.

Bella Ramsay was a gift this season, can’t wait to see what she does next and all the accolades that should come her way.

Excited to watch this all in one go and see how it plays. Highlights for me were eps 1,2,4 and 5, with special mentions to 3 and 8. Oh wait and 7… 6 was good also. I basically just highlighted the whole season so guess it might play out pretty well all in one go too.

Going into this last ep I was a but disappointed to see it was the shortest of the series but they also did everything they needed to.

Something I would have done differently is introduce
Abby’s dad or even Abby to set up the next season and the consequences of what just transpired far reaching that of just Ellie and Joel’s relationship because as it stands, it was just a bunch of red shirt fireflies and Marlene. I think they missed a trick in not fleshing out the Fireflies more given that they had the space and time to do so that perhaps they didn’t have (or know to have) in the first game. But perhaps this shall be saved the next season so I am cautiously perched

I choked up at the beginning flashback with Ashley Johnson playing Ellie’s mum and loved the reveal of why Ellie is immune. Great way to tie game Ellie and show Ellie together.

Bella Ramsay was a gift this season, can’t wait to see what she does next and all the accolades that should come her way.

Excited to watch this all in one go and see how it plays. Highlights for me were eps 1,2,4 and 5, with special mentions to 3 and 8. Oh wait and 7… 6 was good also. I basically just highlighted the whole season so guess it might play out pretty well all in one go too.
I thought the doctor is Abby's dead?

Reactions: Sam
I’m a bit sad the season is now over, I’ve been so excited for this since it was announced, the closer we got the more the excitement built, I played the game over again several times to familiarise myself with the story and characters, by the end of each episode it was countdown until to the following weeks episode, and now it’s over… I’m sad! At least we know there’ll be a season 2-3.

Overall it was a great finale and recaptured that chapter in the game perfectly, I was worried about the short length at first but they pulled it off, it pretty much delivered everything needed to wrap it up.
There was a certain melancholy tone throughout the episode, which is also present in the game at this point, like the journey coming to an end and the outcome being uncertain.
I suspected there’d be no infected in Salt Lake City, I’ve learned they are only featured when absolutely necessary, and in this town in the game the infected only appear in a tunnel you have to get through.

Can anybody clarify something for me? Was Marlene the character in episode one who told Joel to get Ellie to this hospital? Why wouldn’t she go herself? I can’t remember.

I loved the finale, I felt like there was so much unspoken depth. The first Joel and Ellie scene where he was trying to be all quippy and fun, and she was somber and silent felt really powerful. The weight of the last episode hung heavily in the air in such a subtle way. Plus the scene with Joel killing everybody without much gore or big dramatic sounds effects was really moving and emotive. It made everything Joel was doing feel so necessary and justified, like there was nothing else worth focusing on. Such a smart way of it playing out.

I know nothing about the games but there’s only 2 right? Is there much more story to keep it going?

God I’ve cried a lot throughout this series, what an amazing finish to an even more amazing adaptation. My only minor gripe like most people is that it felt a-bit short, but that’s fine.

The chemistry between Pedro and Bella literally gives me goosebumps, specifically in the last 2 episodes. The scene on the rooftop as they’re watching the giraffes and she says ‘I’ll follow you anywhere you go’…I ugly cried at that one.

They are both fucking iconic.

I know nothing about the games but there’s only 2 right? Is there much more story to keep it going?
The second game is about twice as long as the first one, it covers two intertwining story arcs so there's plenty to take from. The second game alone should translate into two or even three seasons.

Can anybody clarify something for me? Was Marlene the character in episode one who told Joel to get Ellie to this hospital? Why wouldn’t she go herself? I can’t remember.

I loved the finale, I felt like there was so much unspoken depth. The first Joel and Ellie scene where he was trying to be all quippy and fun, and she was somber and silent felt really powerful. The weight of the last episode hung heavily in the air in such a subtle way. Plus the scene with Joel killing everybody without much gore or big dramatic sounds effects was really moving and emotive. It made everything Joel was doing feel so necessary and justified, like there was nothing else worth focusing on. Such a smart way of it playing out.

I agree. For everyone whining that Joel wasn't badass, they made the scene of him mowing everyone down so desperate and sad, like he had become an emotionless killing machine with no humanity instead of heroic or badass.

As for the doctor, I thought focusing on his head wound foreshadowed quite a bit.

PS How do you do the yellow spoiler tags as opposed to the blurry text, this new forum is so confusing nn

Giraffe!!!

A fantastic end to a brilliant first series - Ramsey especially, and Pascal deserve awards, as do Druckmann and Mazin.

A few thoughts...

As someone familiar with the game, that farmhouse in the opening scene looked remarkably similar to something we see at a significant point in part 2 of the game - might just be coincidence or just a bit of foreshadowing though.

I love that the opening and closing episode titles brought the Fireflies mantra that we see adorning walls and posters in one of the opening scenes of the first episode together - Ep1 'When you're lost in the darkness' and Ep.9 'Look for the light.'

Strong decision in showing us a glimpse of Ellie's mother and the circumstances of how Ellie was brought into the world - under an image of the tree of life no less. The flashbacks throughout this series have been beautifully executed and hugely impactful to the overall story and to watch as a viewer.

I can understand some of the thoughts that it feels like constant churn of getting to know a character only for them to die soon after, but I think that is an accurate comment on the world these people live in, where life is fleeting, and in fairness, we've been with Bill and Frank over a 20+ year period, Tess over multiple episodes and of course Marlene. In the games I feel I spent longer with some of these characters because that's the nature of game playing (and I take forever to complete each section!), but that wouldn't translate well into a telly show.

I thought the decision to leave out some of the stages in the game of this last episode was the right choice, and as someone who has worked in the field of trauma, the montage of Joel at the hospital made perfect sense - I saw it as a carefully considered portrayal of dissociation, including the muffled sounds, lightly blurred camera work and focus in on the shells as a rolling count / bell toll of damage done and lives lost.

Without going into too much detail, Joel's decision made perfect sense to me, and perfectly mirrored a central premise of the opening scene - the lengths a parent will go to, to protect their child - not necessarily justifiable or acceptable, but understandable.

I did notice in the theatre a fourth person was in the background - I may be wrong, but only recall Joel walking in on a surgeon and two nurses in the game, so I wonder if that is a second series two spoiler in that scene.

That very final scene on the mountainside, Bella Ramsey delivered everything and more with so few words, and the choice to so quickly cut to black was the gut-punch that left me sat with the music while the credits rolled.

On the music side - I love that the soundtrack recalls the Westerns genre, as the story of these two 'lone rangers' going from place to place in a lawless world with wide open spaces evokes much of that genre.

Part of me wanted to see more clicker action, but I think the choice to have them as the background to the relentless onslaught of human horrors on display is the right one, and makes what is to come in the next series all the more exciting.

Outstanding telly. A solid 9.5/10.

Last edited: