The Lovely Bones | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

The Lovely Bones

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by sifr, Nov 26, 2009.

1. It's one of my favourite ever books so I am not looking forward to seeing and inevitably being devastated by the film. Did they approach Peter Jackson to do the film or was it his idea? He would have been my last choice to handle the project.

2. Even if it is shit I know I'll cry. I cried when I read the book, so emotional.

3. From what I've seen it's but getting rather good reviews but I'm still regarding it with as much pessimism as I can muster, although the glowing reviews for Stanley Tucci has got me excited for his part at least.

4. The reviews have been awful actually. Especially with the level of talent behind the film.

Peter Jackson's visual diatribe ruins the film to the point that the movie becomes disjointed and that you feel very little sympathy for the Salmon family.

5. Just saw this.

What an awful mess.

There just wasn't a feeling of coherency and the over-the-top-melodramatic moments ruined alot.
    Some parts were good but damn, most of it was shit.

6. the death of Stanley Tucci's character made the whole cinema laugh. Ouch.

7. 3Xs

3Xs

I just saw it and I loved it! The visuals were fantastic and me and my friend were on the edge of our our seats much of the time. The killer dude with the moustache was so creepy!

I suggest it, great movie.

8. I didn't exactly have high hopes because I'd seen the rotten tomatoes reviews. I was really impressed though, and thought that the fantasy/heaven scenes worked well with the rest of the movie (which was the exact opposite of what some of the reviews said). It was well acted throughout. In fairness though, I haven't read the book.

9. I hated it. The warmth and emotional complexity of the book are completely absent, replaced by cheesy, unimpressive CGI (btw, surely they could've made them much better for a 100 grand?).
    The movie would've greatly profited from a female director, methinks. Men are just no good at conveying believable emotions (New Moon being another recent example).

10. 3Xs

3Xs

Yes because men just have no soul and are totally devoid of emotions. That totally makes sense.

11. :ignores the biting sarcasm: Glad we agree.

12. That's so wrongheaded I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps the fact you've chosen just 2 recent films from the 110+ years of cinema to make your case? Just because Jackson fucked this one up (and I'm not denying he was the wrong man to make this particular movie) does not mean all male directors fail at creating emotional scenes. Could I point you towards P.T Anderson? Or Michael Powell? Or John Huston? Or Curtis Hanson? Joss Whedon? Michael Curtiz? Steven Soderbergh? Ang Lee? Sam Mendes? James L Brooks? I can keep going...

13. I don't think a male director was the root of New Moon's problems!

14. It was a bit of a generalization, I admit, but it was also a personal opinion - my viewing experience being a bit limited - I have yet to see a male-directed film with a moving portrayal of that kind of emotions. The way they choose to look and deal with love and loss does nothing for me personally, no need to get offended :-)

15. 3Xs

3Xs

You must have not seen many movies in your life as the vast, VAST majority of movies are directed by men!

16. Indeed, the vast majority of movies are crap (own opinion) ;-)

17. I just watched this. I haven't read the book, and I would say I liked the film, but didn't love it.
    I actually thought the CGI looked quite good, which doesn't seem to be the general opinion. I also thought that the cast were pretty good, especially Saoirse Ronan in the main role.

However, I found it quite disjointed and hard to follow at times. I didn't really understand the inclusion of Ruth. She just seemed to be there for no apparent reason and then get off with Ray. I thought the ending lacked punch as well - other parts of the film made me really sad, but the ending was a bit limp and lacklustre. It didn't really feel like anything was resolved. Do we ever find out if the parents knew what was going on? Because the daughter didn't show the book to them but then the police must have notified them. It just seems like important details were missed out so that effects shots and the same 'flashback' clips (the one of Suzie on the bicycle must have been used on around 4 different occasions!) could be shown instead.

I'm glad I've seen it, but I don't think it was as good as I wanted it to be.

The killer guy was really fucking creepy though.

18. I just saw the trailer for this today and it looks AMAZING!

19. I work in a cinema so I was able to see this last week and I absolutely adored it. I haven't felt that kind of emotion during a film before, but not in a crying-my-eyes-out-my-sister's-keeper kind of way.
    Stanley Tucci was fantastic, sublime even. I really am starting to adore him.

20. The "on earth" bits were really tragic and effective, especially the scenes by sinkhole with psychic girl and "the moor".

The bits on "the inbetween" however left me cold. The music was cheesy and it looked like a microsoft desktop background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.