The Lovely Bones | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

The Lovely Bones

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by sifr, Nov 26, 2009.

1. I haven't seen the film, but I read the book last week and I really struggled to get through it. It did have some great moments, but it got increasingly tedious as it went along.

Spoiler alert!
    The whole, Susie takes over Ruth's body and sexes her highschool crush was beyond ridiculous to me. Blerg.

2. I couldn't remember if that happened in the book or not.

I was like "OI! BITCHES. ODA MAE BROWN did this shit first!"

3. I often like to remind people that during some of the most romantic moments in Ghost, Demi Moore is actually tongue-ing Whoopi Goldberg.

4. Went tonight, was disappointed that so much of the good stuff from the book was cut but it was okay: the scene with Lindsey in the killer's house was very tense but it was just a bit bland. I'm not sure how anyone would successfully visualise that book.

5. An opinion based - by your own admission - on very little evidence. Maybe you're just watching the wrong ones?

Anyway, The Lovely Bones...a real disappointment. It's like they chopped the story down just so the major plot points would all fit inside two hours. Bar Susie herself, every character in the story suffers as a result. In particular, I can't help wondering how Rachel Weisz must have felt about having a potentially meaty role cut down to little more than an extended cameo. The only other character given much screen time was Susie's dad - a decision not best served by yet another phoned-in performance from Mark Wahlberg. Did he retire from acting after The Departed and forget to tell anyone?

6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I saw this tonight, and thought parts of it were really good, and others left me confused.
    I haven't read the book but I have been aware of it for a while, and I could tell they'd tried to get as much of the book in there as possible. I'll have to check it out soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.