The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #10 | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #10

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Amazing song. Top 5 for me

ysev, londonrain and vague like this.
  2. Finally this is out. It just drags and drags.

ohaimanabu, GimmeWork and vague like this.
  3. Anytime You Need A Friend has really grown on me over the years. A shame it couldn't reach the top 10 here.

I love this video of Jessica Mauboy belting it out backstage.

4. I don't even want to think about that.

5. Oh my goodness, my 11 is out! Anytime You Need A Friend really was a grower for me and when it was initially the fourth single I wasn't but in love with it but over the years I've grown to love it more and more! Like everyone's said, it's so uplifting and joyous! It's a real sing-along-in-the-car kinda song. When I was whirling down my options for my 11 I had it down to this, Without You, My All, Fantasy and Can't Let Go. I'm rooting for Can't Let Go now but think Fantasy will be either 1 or 2 (depending how AIWFC does...)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Pinky25, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  6. Losing too inspierational back to back classics like these hurts! Sorry for your loss there @Cowboystyle , fantastic choice. Nice to see you rooting for Can't Let Go though too, so pleased it's got to at least the top 15! In fact, Emotions, is the only album with all of it's singles left in the rate! Only 3 in the first place, but still!

vague, Adora Day and londonrain like this.
  7. It's funny the Emotions singles are all amazing (I gave them 2 x 10's and a 9) but as an album I don't think it's anywhere near as strong as the first or 3rd album.

Pinky25, vague and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  8. I do prefer the remix of 'Anytime You Need A Friend' these days, it's just exhilarating.

9. I played the full remix of that yesterday. That gospel intro before it bursts into pure 90s house, is just heaven.

P'NutButter, Pinky25 and vague like this.
  10. ‘Butterfly’ feels greater than the sum of its parts. It’s so essential to her narrative and her growth as an artists, yet the song itself often gets overlooked so I can see why it’s gone.

‘Anytime You Need A Friend’ whilst vocally a beast, could’ve left before Slipping Away teebs. I am low key fearing the worst for my 11...

ysev and vague like this.
  11. I am loving Underneath The Stars, grabbing at least an top 15 position! More than deserves it.

vague likes this.
  12. I did not realize it was still in!

vague likes this.
  13. Yep, still holding up strong!

vague likes this.
  14. I should have given Anytime You Need A Friend a 10 for that note at 3.39 alone. Honestly one of the best sounds I've ever heard.

15. Make that three . . .

[​IMG]

I once was lost, but now I'm found
    I got my feet on solid ground, thank you, Lord
    If you believe within your soul
    Just hold on tight and don't let go, you can make it

[​IMG]

"Make It Happen"

Score: 8.840
    High scores: 11×2 (@GimmeWork, @RUNAWAY), 10×20 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @The Hot Rock, @Maria, @AdzBrown, @ohaimanabu, @Tigerlily, @soratami, @Pinky25, @Ana Raquel, @ysev, @londonrain, @Love Deluxe, @Lapras, @PayMe, @Remorque, @codecat, @Island, @vague), 9.5×5 (@Jimmyandroid, @godspeed, @pop3blow2, @Hurricane Drunk, @Sail On)
    Low scores: 6×1 (@EricG1990), 6.75×1 (@mokitsu), 7×9 (@playboy69, @tylerc904, @Imagineitwasus, @Sprockrooster, @abael, @CasuallyCrazed, @Aester, @Lost In Japan., @Veeis)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #9 (tied), 9.400 avg.
    10 ballots: #6 (tied), 9.450 avg.
    15 ballots: #18, 8.967 avg.
    20 ballots: #14, 8.925 avg.
    25 ballots: #11, 9.060 avg.
    30 ballots: #10 (tied), 9.033 avg.
    35 ballots: #13, 8.971 avg.
    40 ballots: #13, 8.900 avg.
    45 ballots: #14, 8.889 avg.
    50 ballots: #15, 8.800 avg.
    55 ballots: #16, 8.795 avg.
    60 ballots: #14, 8.838 avg.
    61 ballots: #15, 8.840 avg.

"Make It Happen" was released as the third and final single from Mariah's second studio album, "Emotions", on April 4, 1992. Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah Carey, David Cole, and Robert Clivillés (aka C+C Music Factory). C+C Music Factory also produced a handful of remixes of the track that were included on the maxi-single releases: Extended Version (and its Radio Edit), Dub Version, and C+C Classic Version.

The single reached the top 10 in the US (#5) and Canada (#7) and the top 20 in the UK (#17), but performed poorly in other territories where it was released; it has sold 520k physical copies in total worldwide.

The 2005 Live 8 performance of this track is one of her best ever imo. This song always pops off live, but there's just something about that performance, in particular, that is so jubilant and exhilarating! Even if it's not her best-ever vocal performance (she still sounds fucking great, though!!), the way she owns the stage and takes command of that huge crowd... whew, a legend... literally a legend. Her performance from the Curaçao North Sea Jazz Festival a little over a week ago is pretty gotdang good, too. This is a song I never get tired of hearing, no matter how many times I've listened to it.

@GimmeWork (11) — "This might even still be my 11 if the rate included her whole discography. I love it that much! I have so many mini-diva wannabe kid memories dramatically singing this to my parents. I was OBSESSED then and still am today. The strength at the 3:56 mark still sends me every time. "

@RUNAWAY (11) — "it's been a long time coming, but I've come to the realization that this song is my blessed eleven. After some fierce competition from Forever, Underneath the Stars, and Anytime You Need A Friend, this song has won for me. This song has everything. C+C Music Factory production, inspirational lyrics, through the roof vocals, DJ Baby Bok Choy, a gospel choir. Seriously, this song is an incredible masterpiece."

@Music Is Life (10) — "A - dare I say - funky, soulful, up-beat number that has some uplifting, inspirational lyrics, so naturally I love everything about this. The production is just so good, and her vocals take the song to another level. I really love the outro as well."

@P'NutButter (10) — "One of my favourites, always makes me feel good."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Forever empowering and inspirational, and for my money, the best of Mariah's all so many anthems of empowerment. It's mad to look back just 2 a couple of short years before the Emotions album was released, Mariah had been in such a situation. Yet, due to drive, talent, genius and a touch of luck too, she was able to succeed in becoming the world's biggest selling artist of the 1990's. If that isn't inspirational, I don't know what is!"

@The Hot Rock (10) — "5 minutes of feeling like I can slay shit before being back to normal. Thanks queen <3."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "I'm not religious, but something about the rawness of this song inspires me, and Mariah absolutely kills it. While I prefer the Daydream tour version, the album version still slays in its own right."

@Pinky25 (10) — "Another good song for inspiration."

@ysev (10) — "Absolutely iconic. This kind of sounds like something you'd hear in an upscale bar while drinking cocktails and living your best life."

@Jimmyandroid (9.5) — "Love this one, but the live versions are so much better."

@godspeed (9.5) — "Out of all the upbeat songs from Mariah's first two albums, this one is BY FAR my favorite. It just works, it really does. It's uplifting, it's catchy, it makes you wanna dance and sing along, and the gospel influence adds even more flavor to an already perfect song. I also love how unusual this song was vocally for Mariah at this point in her career - probably the reason why it did not become the huge hit it deserved to be."

@pop3blow2 (9.5) — "Inspirational bop with a hell of a breakdown. The lyrics are a bit Successories hokey in places, but she meant well. A better song & bop than Emotions and the that's the tea."

@Oceandrive (9) — "I remember seeing Live 8 as a little boy and witnessing Mariah doing track and field across the stage whilst belting the ad libs and wearing 8 inch heels. Queen. The track really let's her vocals soar to gospel levels."

@Seventeen Days (8.75) — "Gettin' a little church-y up in here, but it's still a jam. I literally just found out that this was produced by the two gentlemen behind C + C Music Factory, which explains a lot."

@Blond (8.5) — "This was about to get a lower score but the growly 'I once was lost but now I'm found' part is amazing."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "so catchy. Nice breezy R&B vibe, foreshadowing her move into this genre more and more with each album."

@evilsin (8) — "Love the growling."

@BreatheBox (8) — "8 for the song but 5 for the recording of it (so it's a 8 really)."

@DominoDancing (7.5) — "The bassline is magnificent, too bad the vocal melody is rather unimpressive."

@tylerc904 (7) — "Probably my least favorite 90's-non-cover Mariah single. I do like it (quite a lot) but it's always hung a little lower in my rankings."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "I really dislike the album version, which I found dated."

@abael (7) — "I'm usually all over uptempo 90s Mariah, but this doesn't have the it factor."

@Veeis (7) — "I hated it on the first listen, then I tolerated it, and now I'm using it to bop a bit."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  16. NO WAY!?!?!?!

This is an outrage. Should be top five.

I remember being pleasantly surprised when she did this at Live 8 and it was an amazing performance.

17. I remember seeing an interview back in the day with either Clivillés or Cole about the making of this song, and apparently the recording session went on into the small hours. At 2 or 3 in the morning Mariah did that growl in “If you believe within your soul, just hold on tight and don’t let go” and the producers loved it so much that they kept that in the final version.

18. Okay um...no. I refuse to accept this result.

ohaimanabu, phoenix123, ysev and 5 others like this.
  19. I remember I discovered "Make It Happen" when Mariah refused to exclude it from her live setlists and kept performing it over and over again, so I watched this or that performance sometime during the release cycle of "E=MC2", I believe. I wasn't familiar with it, but I enjoyed the perfromance thoroughly and was quite surprised to learn, that it was a song from "Emotions". I do like it a lot at the moment, and it surely can grow on me even more with it's catchy hook and uplifting atmosphere.

vague, phoenix123, ysev and 3 others like this.
  20. Make It Happen, is one feel good and empowering anthem-and then some!!

ohaimanabu, vague, phoenix123 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.