The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #13 | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #13

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. This version was lodged in my brain last night.

ohaimanabu, vague and londonrain like this.
  2. I think I gave it a 6 and I fear for my life ever since. I didn't think people on this forum loved it that much.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  3. When was this?

I feel like she's embarrassed by a fair bit of the first album but she did do Sent From Up Above not so long ago. I feel like we'll get Prisoner live one day.

vague and londonrain like this.
  4. I guess it’s simply ‘too pop’ for her taste nowadays.

Uno, ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  5. She didn't like the changes that were made in the arrangement of the final version, as far as I read.

ohaimanabu, vague and Lapras like this.
  6. Interesting - a google seems to suggest she hates this song even more than Someday.

She's loosely quoted as saying "That song was crap on the demo, crap on the album and it's still crap so stop asking or I'll get angry".

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. Wait, I've misread, I meant that comment about "Someday".

vague, londonrain and mokitsu like this.
  8. I actually don’t even remember hearing it on the radio as a kid. I assumed it was a European release. I didn’t know it come out here as a single too.

vague likes this.
  9. Not sure, I think the story was recounted on one of her threads here.

WHOA. She said that about Prisoner?!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    vague likes this.
  10. Then maybe it SHOULD win. Surely the best song should win, regardless of whether it’s a Christmas song or overplayed or whatever.

Lapras, berserkboi and vague like this.
  11. Supposedly. A while back, the post with that quote was from 2007.
    It was a response to a fan with a sign so either on the Charmbracelet or Mimi tour (I think the former).
    I'm sure she said it with a jokey tone though, it does read as very harsh for how she usually speaks.

EDIT: A quick google also brings up this post:

ohaimanabu, nikkysan, evilsin and 3 others like this.
  12. Wow, well maybe one day she'll see the light! I read an interview lately where she said the label wanted to launch her with an "awful uptempo", which I think she said it didn't get released, but it would have been funny if it was Prisoner!

Also I recently I found this site, which compiles quotes from Mariah and her co-writers about her songs:
    https://www.mariahrecords.com/

nikkysan, Lapras, evilsin and 3 others like this.
  13. What was the last thing she did with Walter? Did they have a falling out or did she just go in a diffferent direction? Do we think she’ll ever work with him again?

vague likes this.
  14. Anther similarity in our Mariah journey, I bought Music Box after Hero and instantly fell in love with Without You. It was a contender for my 11 along with Can't Let Go and Fantasy. I'm not actually sure I made the right decision now, and Im not talking about Without You...

vague, Adora Day and londonrain like this.
  15. Not me finally looking up Walter and realizing that he's basically Russian.

vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  16. They last worked together on Butterfly, but they had a falling out during the recording process (I think he was siding with her ex-husband) so he views his work on Butterfly as "unfinished." She used a song from the Butterfly sessions "Lead the Way" on Glitter so that is there last official collaboration.

I was very surprised when I watched a performance that Sophie Ellis-Bextor did on Russian X-Factor and found out he was a mentor!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    vague, nikkysan, ohaimanabu and 3 others like this.
  17. Mariah hating Prisoner. Just breaks my heart.

18. I know, right? I hate when a pop star hates one of their bops! Mariahs always been too interested in being seen as credible within the hip hop/r&b circles to ever truly appreciate more poppy songs like Prisoner. Shame.

19. Prisoner, would have been a fantastic single and then some back in the day. It's only that even then I still can't fault the superb run of singles from the debut album, that I can deal.

vague and londonrain like this.
  20. 'Prisoner' sounds like a lost 80's pop classic. Probably why Mariah hates it.

I want her to release 'Hypnotized' like now.

ohaimanabu, vague, londonrain and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.