The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #34-33 | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #34-33

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Good grief, you people really don’t appreciate Emotions, do you?

2. Still reeling from The Wind being offed so early.

Music Is Life, ysev, Aester and 3 others like this.
  3. "To Be Around You" is pretty nice.
    Ooh, didn't know that, it does have some similar elements.

ysev and vague like this.
  4. [​IMG]

y'all ballad haters need to cease and desist immediately, thanks.

Music Is Life, ysev, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  5. There's not much to appreciate though.
    *taking Can't Let Go and run*

vague likes this.
  6. The majority of our first 20 eliminations were Walter Afanasieff co-productions . . .

Will we be cutting the C+C Music Factory tracks in quick succession now?

It sure seems that way . . .

[​IMG]

I've been around you
    A thousand times before
    And you've always been a friend to me
    But now I'm wanting more

[​IMG]

"I've Been Thinking About You"

Score: 7.346
    High scores: 10×3 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Tigerlily), 9.5×1 (@codecat), 9×6 (@soratami, @Pinky25, @Ana Raquel, @londonrain, @Blond, @Posh Spears)
    Low scores: 1×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 4×1 (@RainOnFire), 5×4 (@EricG1990, @godspeed, @japanbonustrack, @Lost In Japan.)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #41, 8.35 avg.
    10 ballots: #51, 7.685 avg.
    15 ballots: #61, 7.49 avg.
    20 ballots: #54, 7.593 avg.
    25 ballots: #46, 7.814 avg.
    30 ballots: #49, 7.678 avg.
    35 ballots: #51, 7.41 avg.
    40 ballots: #50, 7.471 avg.
    45 ballots: #52, 7.474 avg.
    50 ballots: #55, 7.337 avg.
    55 ballots: #53, 7.365 avg.
    60 ballots: #52, 7.368 avg.
    61 ballots: #53, 7.346 avg.

"I've Been Thinking About You" is the ninth track from "Music Box". Its lyrics were written by Mariah and David Cole and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah alongside Robert Clivillés and David Cole (aka C+C Music Factory). "I've Been Thinking About You" samples both Melvin Bliss' 1973 single "Synthetic Substitution" and Slave's 1979 US Hot R&B #9 hit "Just A Touch Of Love".

What a B O P, honestly. I think Mariah's / the label's single choices were mostly pretty spot on for the early albums, but not releasing this feels like such a missed opportunity to me! A Jermaine Dupri-produced radio edit fully leaning into the R&B elements of the track and a couple of extended C+C dance mixes on the maxi-single and I think this could've easily been another huge hit for her. Plus, I can just envision the funky early-'90s music video it would have received... oh, well. It's still a bop.

@Music Is Life (10) — "Another up-beat dance song, this had me bouncing and singing in no time. So good, I especially love the production on this one."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Her first real foray into a more R&B banger I think. And one that would nicely sit on her next two albums as a result in my book. Adds a nice bit of uptempo oomph to the ballad heavy Music Box album."

@Ana Raquel (9) — "Another bop after three ballads what a blessing."

@londonrain (9) — "Such a classic nineties sound and I'm so here for it."

@Blond (9) — "This 90's R&B production is so up my street. Amazing."

@Posh Spears (9) — "We love a banger hidden amongst ballads."

@ohaimanabu (8) — "Man, I love me some urbanriah!"

@abael (8) — "The track may be kind of simple but it's a new direction for Mariah that I enjoyed and suits her pretty well."

@pop3blow2 (8) — "A decent bop... I did always think the album tailed off a bit (even though I wouldn't admit it to many... haha!)"

@evilsin (8) — "The bee-bee-beem synth in the background is everything."

@Seventeen Days (8) — "I was lowkey hoping this was Mariah covering the Londonbeat track, but this is just as good. Definitely a catchy track, I love the beat."

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "almost sounds like a track from Christina's debut [which I love FYI]. It's another toe-dipped into that R&B/pop sound that she would later move into more and more. A nice bop."

@Veeis (7.5) — "It's fun and that middle-8 is great."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "A cute urbanish thing. I cannot help hearing Ariana's 'Too Close' over it."

@If You Go (7) — "In the grand scheme of Mariah up-tempos I don't rate this one too highly, but it certainly sounds great between two of her most boring ballads!"

@DominoDancing (6) — "Not nearly as memorable as Now That I Know."

@Oceandrive (6) — "Genuinely the part of music box where everything seems to blur into one."

@godspeed (5) — "This could have used a hip hop remix in my opinion to really make an impact. It would have been a nice touch, probably. Just like most songs on Music Box, it is for me unfortunately very underwhelming."

@japanbonustrack (5) — "Obvious filler."

7. Awww, I quite liked this one. I love the production that envelops you whole by the end of the track.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. I'm very disappointed about the last two eliminations.

Music Is Life, ysev, vague and 4 others like this.
  9. This has turned a dark corner.

10. Two back to back joyous early 90's bops booted out there in a row there. I've Been Thinking About You, would have definitely made a fantastic single back in the day I think. Could have been another classic uptempo single for her, if only it had the chance. I really am worried about Now That I Know now!

Music Is Life, ysev, vague and 2 others like this.
  11. This rate is also so far proving me correct what I said about Emotions so gonna be the album alas getting a kick in. Over 50 songs left, and only the singles of it and You're So Cold now left. Sad times methinks.

ysev, vague, ohaimanabu and 1 other person like this.
  12. Now That I Know should have left before I've Been Thinking About You and To Be Around You!

vague likes this.
  13. It's dated production wise, but I really like how heavy the bass is on it.

Also that cover art again is spot on, not sure how that pic got past Tommy Mottola ha!

londonrain, vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  14. I mean the average scores are above 7.3 points now which I found to be quite fair so I’m staying calm until my favourite ‘Now That I Know’ is being kicked out - and I’m afraid that moment is not that far away.
    [​IMG]

15. I've Been Thinking About You deserved top40 at least.

londonrain, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  16. I definitely want at least top 40 for Now That I Know! Such an bop!!

londonrain, ysev, vague and 1 other person like this.
  17. All of my 10s are still in... ahhh I love this rate so far
    [​IMG]

18. I have so many 10s left thankfully, but seeing as it's Mariah and her 90s period, I had to naturally rank so many high scores. The quality control is superb.

ysev and vague like this.
  19. My 10s also remain untouched... but as there are only three of them it's not that impressive. 3/22 for eight and above though, which is promising.

ysev, Lapras and vague like this.
  20. Ok what? The only song worth of my time on Music Box and is not even Top 40. You guys deserve to listen to Never Forget You on repeat.

BreatheBox and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.