The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #34-33 | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #34-33

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. And the second remix out today is . . .

[​IMG]

I know that you'll be back, boy
    When your days and your nights get a little bit colder
    I know that you'll be right back, baby
    Oh, baby, believe me, it's only a matter of time

[​IMG]

"Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix)"

featuring Da Brat & Xscape

Score: 7.549
    High scores: 10×4 (@Womanizer, @RUNAWAY, @londonrain, @Sail On), 9.25×1 (@Love Deluxe), 9×10 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Imagineitwasus, @Tigerlily, @Pinky25, @nikkysan, @godspeed, @If You Go, @evilsin, @Lost In Japan., @Oceandrive)
    Low scores: 3×2 (@playboy69, @CasuallyCrazed), 5×4 (@Daniel_O, @Hurricane Drunk, @Aester, @Veeis), 6×3 (@EricG1990, @abael, @Blond)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #63, 7.25 avg.
    10 ballots: #55 (tied), 7.525 avg.
    15 ballots: #63, 7.45 avg.
    20 ballots: #62, 7.338 avg.
    25 ballots: #54, 7.47 avg.
    30 ballots: #53, 7.595 avg.
    35 ballots: #54, 7.381 avg.
    40 ballots: #52, 7.434 avg.
    45 ballots: #50 (tied), 7.511 avg.
    50 ballots: #48 (tied), 7.49 avg.
    55 ballots: #50, 7.427 avg.
    60 ballots: #47, 7.525 avg.
    61 ballots: #47, 7.549 avg.

"Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix)" is the main remix of the "Daydream" lead single, "Always Be My Baby" (duh), and features Da Brat and Atlanta Housewife Kandi Burruss's former girl group Xscape on backing vocals. Its lyrics were written by Mariah; its music was written by Mariah, Jermaine Dupri, Manuel Seal, Jimmy "Jam" Harris, and Terry Lewis; the rap lyrics were written by Da Brat; and this remixed version was produced by Mariah and Jermaine Dupri. The remix's backing track samples The S.O.S. Band's 1983 US Hot R&B #5 hit "Tell Me If You Still Care". Also, for those of you so inclined, yes, there is a version without Da Brat.

A huge part of why I love this remix is because it introduced me to "Tell Me If You Still Care", one of my all-time fave R&B slow jams. I'm not sure I'd have ever heard it if Mariah and JD hadn't sampled it so prominently here. This is an incredible remix in its own right, though, too, of course! Mariah's vocals are, as always, phenomenal and Xscape's harmonies throughout are gorgeous. I really love how laidback and just how much of a groove this is. The extended mix version is my favorite way to listen to this tbh.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "I honestly feel like I might like the remix more than the original in this case. It's just so smooth and Mariah's vocals are so perfect here."

@londonrain (10) — "A legendary remix. What. A. Vibe. This had better be the last remix standing by a long shot."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (9) — "Lacks the emotional aspects of the original version and the gospel influence that makes me from quite giving this full points. A solid 9 all the way though, and makes it even more of a mid 90's jam, so that's certainly NOT a bad thing! Would sit nicely on follow up album Butterfly rather well too I think."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "This is really slick."

@godspeed (9) — "I really like 'Always Be My Baby.' It might not have been my favorite track by Mariah Carey at first but I grew to really enjoy it. This remix though, I ADORE it. The production here is simpler, it's pretty much just a beat, percussions and a couple of guitar riffs, so you know damn well what will be front and center on this remix... Mariah's vocals and those beautiful harmonies. This remix to me adds even more flavor to the original song because though the instrumental is toned-down, the song feels even more romantic, nostalgic and the vocal production is stunning. Da Brat feels right at home here and her collaborations with Mariah have always been nothing but pure greatness!"

@Music Is Life (8.5) — "This is fine."

@P'NutButter (7) — "Another great remix, but I prefer Morales remixes for this track."

@bonnieetclyde (7) — "doesn't do much other than make me want to listen to the original."

@Jimmyandroid (7) — "Falls a little flat against the original."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Not a song I _love_ to begin with, doesn't get better by adding the most distracting snare sound of her discography."

@Seventeen Days (6.5) — "Doesn't remotely touch the original for me, but a decent little remix."

@abael (6) — "Another remix I was excited for, maybe it would be my passage to understanding the greatness apparent in the track. Like the original, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it special. Also, a rap-break remix is never the right choice."

2. This is....disgraceful.

3. Two amazing remixes out...The GIFs are lovely especially the I Still Believe one, you did a great job!

The line "My we always be together in the sands of time" in the Always Be My Baby remix is a reference to another amazing S.O.S. Band song Sands of Time

vague likes this.
  4. I love that both remixes had great videos of their own and I remember them both getting plenty of airplay on their own right. As with a lot of Mimi’s early remixes, I like that these sound like completely different songs from their originals.

The Fantasy remix outlasting these two is... a choice.

Pinky25, Womanizer, vague and 4 others like this.
  5. Both are really really good as remixes, because they elevate the original material and bring different flavor to it. No one does remixes like Mariah does. Period.

Womanizer, vague, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  6. I'm fine with all the eliminations, but Daydream interlude could've stayed a little bit longer.

vague and GimmeWork like this.
  7. Wonderful stuff that remix of Always Be My Baby.

vague and londonrain like this.
  8. Can't believe these remixes have made it so much further than some of the classics.

WhatKindOfKylie?, Lapras and vague like this.
  9. Every track leaving is painful. I love them all!

vague, londonrain and evilsin like this.
  10. The way y'all have been doing Emotions I just know my 11 isn't going to be safe as long as I'd hoped.
    [​IMG]

11. Good to see the back of the remixes, but the Fantasy remix should have been one of the first to depart.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  12. We're losing another remix today . . .

But not quite yet . . .

[​IMG]

You're so cold, made of stone
    Oh, you're wicked to the bone
    I give you my heart, you tear me apart
    You're like a devil in disguise

[​IMG]

"You're So Cold"

Score: 7.550
    High scores: 10×7 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @Ana Raquel, @londonrain, @Oleander), 9.5×1 (@vague), 9×6 (@tylerc904, @Pinky25, @BreatheBox, @PayMe, @Seventeen Days, @LeBratt)
    Low scores: 2.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 3×1 (@Imagineitwasus), 4.5×1 (@japanbonustrack)
    My score: 9.5

5 ballots: #42, 8.3 avg.
    10 ballots: #35, 8.45 avg.
    15 ballots: #41, 8.167 avg.
    20 ballots: #44, 7.925 avg.
    25 ballots: #39, 8.02 avg.
    30 ballots: #44, 7.843 avg.
    35 ballots: #48, 7.523 avg.
    40 ballots: #45, 7.633 avg.
    45 ballots: #47, 7.601 avg.
    50 ballots: #46, 7.601 avg.
    55 ballots: #46, 7.619 avg.
    60 ballots: #46, 7.576 avg.
    61 ballots: #46, 7.55 avg.

"You're So Cold" is the sixth track from "Emotions". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah, its music was written by Mariah and David Cole, and it was arranged and produced by Mariah, David Cole, and Robert Clivillés (aka C+C Music Factory). Sony, Mariah's label, sent her to work with C+C Music Factory to write the lead single for her second album, and they wrote "You're So Cold" during their first session together. Although it was originally picked to be the album's lead single, those plans were ultimately scrapped when "Emotions" was written during the trio's second writing session together and the rest is history.

That intro alone should have guaranteed "You're So Cold" a place in the top 30 at least tbh! Who else but Mariah could cover 4 octaves in less than a minute?? No one, that's who. I've seen complaints online that the intro is just a gratuitous excuse to show off her vocals - and, honestly, so what if it is? I've never understood that line of thinking. There aren't very many people who can do what Mariah could in her prime and I love hearing her "show off" tbh. Her runs and vocal acrobatics have always felt integral to her music to me; they don't feel shoehorned in at all. Also, the ad-libs on this are absolutely incredible, too. I'm mad at some of y'all tbh.

@Music Is Life (10) — "The intro is amazing, and really sets the tone for the rest of this angry, yet fun kiss off. Another funky, soulful number, with a catchy chorus. Couldn't stop moving when listening to it."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "The contender for lead single until a happier frame mind of would see Emotions come along and take its place! This is such a sassy, snappy and attitude packed FU bop, without losing any touch of Carey class. Could have served as a great single in its own right eventually, had the Emotions era not been so cruelly cut short!"

@The Hot Rock (10) — "The way this changes from what feels like will be a solid ballad to a bop. Her mind."

@londonrain (10) — "YAS give me that moody minor key in the intro followed by that incredible bop. If you tanked this I honestly don't know what to say to you."

@tylerc904 (9) — "BOP. Could have been a single."

@BreatheBox (9) — "would've been a great lead single still."

@Seventeen Days (9) — "I love how this one fakes you out to think it's gonna be a ballad and then just slams into that dance beat."

@pop3blow2 (8.8) — "A bit of a bop... with a crazy dramatic intro, haha!"

@bonnieetclyde (8.5) — "ooh, that lower register at the start gives me shivers. This would have been an amazing album-opener."

@abael (7) — "Intro got me again! Then the Abdul jumped out. Cheap sounding production lets this one down a bit."

@godspeed (6.5) — "As much as I understand the love for this song and appreciate the disco-influence that is all over it (the pre-chorus with the CHIC-influenced bells in the background is truly one of the most glorious moments of Emotions) and is a perfect proof that early-Mariah wasn't just 'ballads and love songs', I've always found it a bit too in the same vein as the title track to really be memorable."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Funnily enough, this reminds me slightly of Max Martin's late 90s production... just without a really memorable melody."

@mokitsu (6) — "It starts off really promising with that intro but ends up quite generic."

@Veeis (5.5) — "Well, it should be a bop but it's not doing much for me."

@Imagineitwasus (3) — "A rare moment of Mariah clunky lyrics whatevz. Never to be had again."

Mushroom, GimmeWork, codecat and 22 others like this.
  13. People actually gave this low scores? On Popjustice?

Wow, the lack of taste jumped out.

14. We've reached the first tie of the rate . . .

The first part is another C+C Music Factory production . . .

[​IMG]

If you're lonely and you feel you need a friend
    And troubles seem like they never end
    Just remember you got to keep the faith
    And love will be there to lighten up the way

[​IMG]

#44 (tie)
    "Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)"

Score: 7.631
    High scores: 10×7 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Imagineitwasus, @ohaimanabu, @Pinky25, @Lost In Japan., @LeBratt, @vague), 9.5×1 (@bonnieetclyde), 9.25×1 (@Seventeen Days), 9×10 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @AdzBrown, @Ana Raquel, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @pop3blow2, @evilsin, @Oleander, @Blond)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@EricG1990), 3.5×1 (@If You Go), 4×1 (@CasuallyCrazed)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #21 (tied), 9 avg.
    10 ballots: #33, 8.46 avg.
    15 ballots: #54, 7.773 avg.
    20 ballots: #53, 7.68 avg.
    25 ballots: #45, 7.824 avg.
    30 ballots: #42, 7.87 avg.
    35 ballots: #42, 7.703 avg.
    40 ballots: #47, 7.565 avg.
    45 ballots: #45, 7.672 avg.
    50 ballots: #45, 7.65 avg.
    55 ballots: #45, 7.673 avg.
    60 ballots: #45, 7.633 avg.
    61 ballots: #44 (tied), 7.631 avg.

Part one of our first tie is "Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)", a remix of the fourth single from "Music Box". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah, its music was written by Mariah and Walter Afanasieffc, and the various C+C mixes were produced by Mariah, David Cole, and Robert Clivillés (aka C+C Music Factory). C+C Music Factory actually produced several different mixes for the track, including the C&C Club Mix, C&C Radio Mix, C+C Video Edit, All That & More Mix, Boriqua Anthem Mix, and Dave's Empty Pass. They're mostly very similar with a few minor differences.

I believe this was pretty much the first time Mariah totally transformed a song with a remix, right? I mean, there’d been a few different radio edits by this point (a few even quite different from their album versions, like "Someday" or "Never Forget You"), but mostly the changes were purely cosmetic. This remix definitely changed the game, though. It showed that Mariah wasn't just content to release cut-and-paste dance remixes by simply switching out the backing track. There was a lot of care and effort put into this remix, and it fundamentally changed the song's DNA in the process. It's a shame we don't still get remixes like this from her anymore for whatever reason.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Just genius. The original version of Anytime You Need A Friend is empowering enough. Add killer new vocals, a class mid 90's house production, and you end up with something even more empowering and a total bop too!"

@Imagineitwasus (10) — "Pure ecstasy. The scat whistles, oh my. Her best remix to these ears."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "This honestly deserves more than a 10, it's a perfect introduction to Mariah's ONE OF A KIND remixes, as well as a beautiful buffet of her range and vocal stylings. The scatting scalps me."

@bonnieetclyde (9.5) — "this is amazing. I want this to be played at my funeral."

@Seventeen Days (9.25) — "This version of 'Anytime You Need a Friend' has become my favorite version. It's so fun and upbeat."

@Music Is Life (9) — "BOP. Make me dance my ass off Mariah!"

@P'NutButter (9) — "Always loved this remix, thanks to the video coming at the end of the Madison Square Garden VHS."

@Ana Raquel (9) — "Could be a little bit shorter. Otherwise, I stan."

@pop3blow2 (9) — "I mean, such a good remix it's basically a whole new version of the song. They played on one those Mariah VHS tapes on the period, so it has some odd nostalgia in that regard."

@abael (8) — "A great remix on a great track, both are deserving of a place on a greatest hits collection."

@godspeed (6) — "Even though I love 'Anytime You Need a Friend' and I am sure this will get a lot of love, I don't think this remix really does it justice. It's always nice to see how Mariah manages to transform her songs and the remix in itself here is brilliant but it's just not my cup of tea. The original version remains untouchable."

@DominoDancing (5) — "Lacks the drama and hooks of the original version. It's such a basic bop in this version."

@If You Go (3.5) — "This remix is overrated."

we'll cut the other half of this tie and lose our first 11.

15. "You're So Cold" has a bit of a quirk to it, expecially in the melody of the chorus. I like that.

I enjoyed the C+C Mix of "Anytime You Need A Friend" pretty much the same as the original. The 11-minute version is such a trip, just imagine how amazing it would be to live your life to it in the club.

vague, ysev and londonrain like this.
  16. Glad at this remix culling. Keep it coming.

vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  17. Fantasy being the last surviving remix...
    dyinginsie.gif

18. This rate is getting harder each day! Each loss is well, just that one way or another! Only the singles from Emotions left already, especially hurts!!!

ysev and vague like this.
  19. 'You're So Cold' is a nice album track, that intro on it's own deserves at least a 7/8!

The remix of 'Anytime You Need A Friend' is a classic and makes me raise my hands up like I'm in church for some reason.

20. Perfect taste, once again.

vague, londonrain and ohaimanabu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.