The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #44-43 | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #44-43

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. [​IMG]

Wait a minute before you walk away
    Let me finish, I've got a lot to say, yeah
    Baby, I'm not gonna tolerate this game that you play
    You'll regret it if you desert me this way, yeah

[​IMG]

"You Need Me"

Score: 7.393
    High scores: 10×5 (@Music Is Life, @GimmeWork, @Maria, @Sprockrooster, @Slice of Life), 9.5×1 (@RainOnFire), 9×6 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Pinky25, @nikkysan, @BreatheBox, @Oleander, @codecat)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@Imagineitwasus), 4×2 (@playboy69, @Aester), 5×6 (@P'NutButter, @Jimmyandroid, @EricG1990, @ohaimanabu, @PayMe, @Oceandrive)
    My score: 8

5 ballots: #64, 7.2 avg.
    10 ballots: #64, 7.35 avg.
    15 ballots: #68, 7.133 avg.
    20 ballots: #63, 7.325 avg.
    25 ballots: #58, 7.38 avg.
    30 ballots: #56, 7.427 avg.
    35 ballots: #50, 7.423 avg.
    40 ballots: #55, 7.395 avg.
    45 ballots: #53, 7.462 avg.
    50 ballots: #52, 7.37 avg.
    55 ballots: #51, 7.409 avg.
    60 ballots: #51, 7.433 avg.
    61 ballots: #52, 7.393 avg.

"You Need Me" is the eighth track from Mariah's self-titled debut album. Its lyrics and music were written by Mariah and Rhett Lawrence and it was arranged and produced by Rhett Lawrence.

This is such an outlier in her discography, isn't it? It was almost hard for me to rate it in comparison to everything else in this part of the rate because it's so different. It's kinda weird we got this one rocky track on her debut and then she never really bothered with the genre like this again. She does seem to love the genre, though, since she's covered several rock songs over the course of her career, so I guess it's not that strange in the end ddd. Anyway, this was a fun one-off, but I'm not too sad to see it go. It actually did quite a bit better than I would have guessed it would tbh.

@Music Is Life (10) — "The opening with the guitar was unexpected but welcome. Another fun song, with relatable lyrics, and great vocals."

@GimmeWork (10) — "This may not deserve a 10 but pre-school baby me got my entire Paula Abdul dancing life to it back in the day so my nostalgia bias is real."

@Sprockrooster (10) — "Girl can hold her own vocally so damn well against that guitar."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (9) — "It's time to rock out now, Mariah Carey style! Whilst not too rocky to stand out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the album, it's nice to see a different genre included here and it's proof that she can near enough tackle anything. Her own Black Cat shall we say? I think alas somehow, it may not be long for this rate world. Though, would love to be proved wrong!"

@pop3blow2 (8.8) — "This production giving me life. It's so funky early 90's. Probably not as radio/single friendly as 'Someday', but in many ways I aways actually like this a bit more... as a bop in that vein. Has more an authentic Mariah flavor, to me. Another weird fade on her high note, though. Good gawd producers, stop teasing & just let us have it at the end!"

@Womanizer (8.5) — "I miss Growlriah."

@Seventeen Days (8.5) — "Holy crap, the guitar intro leading into that funky bassline. How have I not heard this track before? I'm hearing some definite influences of the song 'Word Up!' by Cameo in this."

@Blond (8.5) — "Kinda here for angsty, rocky Mariah."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "she sounds a bit like Whitney on this one. I could imagine Whitney singing this on her debut or sophomore albums. Christina should cover this, there's that growl-like vocal throughout that she would nail!"

@evilsin (8) — "Love the vocal layering in the chorus."

@tylerc904 (7.5) — "Invented rock and roll."

@Veeis (7) — "Very nice song but I've got that weird feeling that I've heard something similar before. And I don't know what it really is."

@mokitsu (6.2) — "Whilst I think the song itself is a bit reductive even for her early standards, the way she conveys anger in her vocals elevates it a lot."

@abael (6) — "Mariah is relied upon too much here. Production really needed to do more with this."

@godspeed (6) — "A rock song by Mariah Carey isn't the type of thing you'd expect to find on a Mariah Carey - unless it's a cover of an 80s ballad. 'You Need Me' is not incredible or anything, but at least it doesn't sound forced. Mariah's vocal performance here is genuinely great and there's a lot of energy to this track. It just doesn't feel like a Mariah Carey song AT ALL."

@DominoDancing (5.5) — "Haha that guitar riff is so un-Mariah. This whole 'tough' sound is. Not a great song anyway."

@P'NutButter (5) — "Not a bad song, just extremely dated and the filler track for this album."

@ohaimanabu (5) — "I can't get through this one LMAO."

@Oceandrive (5) — "That guitar intro... Slash could never!"

@Imagineitwasus (3) — "The only dud on the album."

2. It is an odd one out, but that's what I like about it.

Music Is Life, ysev, nikkysan and 6 others like this.
  3. I gave it a 10 because it was so different from the rest of the album.

Music Is Life, Pinky25, ysev and 2 others like this.
  4. I’m the same - and I have twenty 10s!
    [​IMG]

5. You Need Me, really is a stand out on the debut album.

pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  6. The next track to fall is, unfortunately, one of my 10s . . .

[​IMG]

There's no need to act surprised
    'Cause there's no room for selfless pride
    So let's push love to the limit and life to the edge
    I've only one request of you, stay awhile

[​IMG]

"My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix)"

featuring Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz

Score: 7.400
    High scores: 10×8 (@Jimmyandroid, @Tigerlily, @RUNAWAY, @BreatheBox, @Mushroom, @PayMe, @Oceandrive, @vague), 9.5×2 (@godspeed, @Oleander), 9×7 (@Music Is Life, @Imagineitwasus, @AdzBrown, @pop3blow2, @If You Go, @evilsin, @Sail On)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@londonrain), 3×2 (@EricG1990, @abael), 3.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #61 (tied), 7.4 avg.
    10 ballots: #50, 7.69 avg.
    15 ballots: #57, 7.593 avg.
    20 ballots: #60, 7.395 avg.
    25 ballots: #61, 7.356 avg.
    30 ballots: #54, 7.497 avg.
    35 ballots: #55, 7.311 avg.
    40 ballots: #58, 7.223 avg.
    45 ballots: #55, 7.409 avg.
    50 ballots: #53, 7.348 avg.
    55 ballots: #55, 7.325 avg.
    60 ballots: #54, 7.357 avg.
    61 ballots: #51, 7.4 avg.

"My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix)" is a remix/mash-up of Mariah's US Hot 100 #1 hit "My All" and Loose End's 1986 UK #52 charting single "Stay A Little While, Child". Its lyrics were written by Mariah, Carl McIntosh, Jane Eugene, and Steve Nichol; it was composed+arranged by Mariah, Walter Afanasieff, Carl McIntosh, Jane Eugene, and Steve Nichol; and this remixed version was produced by Jermaine Dupri and Carl-So-Lowe. "My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix)" was issued as its own maxi-single in the US (with additional mixes, including a no rap version; I know a couple of you will prefer that one), and was also later included on Mariah's compilation album "The Remixes", released October 3, 2003.

Man, I'm bummed as hell that this just missed out on a top 50 placement - well, actually, I'm bummed that it's not top 20, but I knew deep down that that would never happen dddd. One of the things I’ve always loved most about Mariah is her reverence for the music she grew up listening to and how often she incorporates that music and a wide variety of artists into her own music. I’ve discovered so many gems second-hand through her lyrical references, her covers, samples, and interpolations; it’s actually amazing how expansive her taste is and it’s incredibly endearing to me how she wants to share her favorites with her fans through her own music. Anyway. This is a bop and y’all low scorers need to go and listen to this on loop until it’s a 10 for you, too!

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "Love the bridge, 'let's push love to the limit and life to the edge'."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "another remix that may honestly be better than the original. This is just such a different feel than the original, and it completely deserves my ten in a different way. It's such perfection."

@godspeed (9.5) — "'I told you, if Jermaine likes it... then I like it!' As soon as you hear this intro, you just know that what is about to come will be GOOD. Remixing the monumental and emotional ballad full of devotion that is 'My All' into a hip hop influenced song that interpolates 'Stay A Little While, Child'... this could have gone so many ways. But the way Mariah and Jermaine Dupri did it, it's perfect. As crazy as it sounds on paper, this remix just WORKS SO DAMN WELL to the point it is actually absolutely unbelievable how good it sounds. The way they transformed such a beautiful, melodramatic and slow song into a straight-up banger is something that not a lot of artists and producers can do. 'Fantasy' and 'Heartbreak' always get a lot of credit when it comes to praising Mariah's brilliant remixes, but this one is up there with her best ones and unfortunately is often overlooked."

@Music Is Life (9) — "This is fun."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "A glorious mash-up. Mariah truly has an ear for melodies, and I just love how she uses the samples and interpolations to elevate songs and connect them in the history of music."

@Pinky25 (8) — "I feel like I remember this being on the radio sometimes. I haven't heard it in years but I like it!"

@DominoDancing (5.5) — "Turns out I don't like this in either version."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (4) — "Ok. But I'd much rather have the original My All any day of the week!!"

@Sprockrooster (4) — "A ruination."

@abael (3) — "Obfuscating Mariah's vocals, the only good point of the original makes this a waste of time. Yay rap-break additions."

@londonrain (2) — "There's a reason she favours the dance remix over this one."

we'll cut another single.

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Mariah Carey"
    (9/11)

01 Vision Of Love
    02 There's Got To Be A Way
    03 I Don't Wanna Cry
    04 Someday
    05 Vanishing
    06 All In Your Mind
    07 Alone In Love
    08 You Need Me
    09 Sent From Up Above
    10 Prisoner
    11 Love Takes Time

[​IMG]
    "Emotions"
    (4/10)

01 Emotions
    02 And You Don't Remember
    03 Can't Let Go
    04 Make It Happen
    05 If It's Over
    06 You're So Cold
    07 So Blessed
    08 To Be Around You
    09 Till The End Of Time
    10 The Wind

[​IMG]
    "MTV Unplugged"
    (1/1)

01 I'll Be There (feat. Trey Lorenz)

[​IMG]
    "Music Box"
    (5/10)

01 Dreamlover
    02 Hero
    03 Anytime You Need A Friend
    04 Music Box
    05 Now That I Know
    06 Never Forget You
    07 Without You
    08 Just To Hold You Once Again
    09 I've Been Thinking About You
    10 All I've Ever Wanted

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas"
    (1/3)

01 All I Want For Christmas Is You
    02 Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
    03 Jesus Born On This Day

[​IMG]
    "Daydream"
    (9/12)

01 Fantasy
    02 Underneath The Stars
    03 One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
    04 Open Arms
    05 Always Be My Baby
    06 I Am Free
    07 When I Saw You
    08 Long Ago
    09 Melt Away
    10 Forever
    11 Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
    12 Looking In

[​IMG]
    "Butterfly"
    (11/12)

01 Honey
    02 Butterfly
    03 My All
    04 The Roof
    05 Fourth Of July
    06 Breakdown (feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
    07 Babydoll
    08 Close My Eyes
    09 Whenever You Call
    10 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
    11 The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
    12 Outside

[​IMG]
    "#1's"
    (3/5)

01 Sweetheart (with JD)
    02 When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
    03 Whenever You Call (with Brian McKnight)
    04 I Still Believe
    05 Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme From Mahogany)

[​IMG]
    "Extras"
    (7/10)

01 Do You Think Of Me
    02 Everything Fades Away
    03 Slipping Away
    04 Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)
    05 Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)
    06 Fantasy (Bad Boy Remix feat. O.D.B.)
    07 Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix feat. Da Brat & Xscape)
    08 Honey (So So Def Mix feat. Da Brat & JD)
    09 My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix feat. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz)
    10 I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix feat. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat)​

8. You have got to be fucking kidding me.

[​IMG]

Literally one of my all time faves of hers. Sublime.

9. Hero really needs to fuck off already.

10. I refuse to recognise any remix of My All that doesn’t include the iconic “to feel your body, feel your body, feel your body, baby baby” line that she now uses in the chorus in her live performances.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    ohaimanabu, Sprockrooster and vague like this.
  11. Preach!

Glad three of the remixes ("Fantasy," "Always Be My Baby," "I Still Believe") made it onto the top 50. I started getting a bit scared when some of y'all were talking non-sense about them... "My All/Stay A While" deserved to be in the top 20 but I'm fine as long as the Bad Boy remix of "Fantasy" is up there.

Lapras, Jimmyandroid and vague like this.
  12. That was a good ass remix. Just like most of Mariah's remixes, honestly.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    RUNAWAY, If You Go, Mushroom and 3 others like this.
  13. My All/ Stay A Little While is such a bop. It’s so different in many ways from the original that it feels like it’s own song to me.

Surprised it went before the somewhat dull “Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix feat. Da Brat & Xscape)”

ysev, Aester and vague like this.
  14. Absolutely not! Hero should be top 20 for sure!

15. Excuse me, but that one is the best of the remixes, thank you very much.

vague, RUNAWAY and If You Go like this.
  16. I am livid. Not only one of her best remixes but one of her best tracks period.

17. These three should have been out before the Honey and My All mixes tibz.

vague likes this.
  18. Umm....can you not?

ysev, vague, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  19. No, no and no.

Seventeen Days, ysev and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.