The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #44-43 | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • #44-43

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. This has nothing to do with anything and I haven't actually seen the video so take my comment on this (flawlessly executed) gif with a grain of salt but
    I cannot fathom looking that bored while riding double on a motorcycle with a girl as beautiful as Mariah Carey?! Is this man okay.

That aside it's been fun watching y'all get indignant over your faves being eliminated while not being the rate villain involved for once.

2. @mokitsu I believe the remix played at The Sweet Sweet Fantasy Tour was ‘Def Club Mix’ not this one. Just an observation, I was scared for a second I rated a different remix, haha! (The Def Club Mix is much better.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:32 AM
    ohaimanabu, vague and londonrain like this.
  3. Okay... This is just not reasonable. @WhatKindOfKylie? you had me fooled with the tasteful SBIT avi, but this is villain behaviour, a one I did not see coming. It's noted though.
    hmmsip.gif

vague likes this.
  4. I enjoy both these songs but I’m not mad at all about either of them leaving.

5. You are cutting the wrong remixes!! My lowest score remixes are now remaining.

vague likes this.
  6. Oh I actually knew was that remix I just find the two quite similar in many ways and manage to associate both with the show. Should’ve specified that in my post.

vague likes this.
  7. For some reason for the majority of my life I have been mixing up "Sweetheart", "Heartbreaker" and "Loverboy". Dddd, I know it's stupid.

"Daydream Interlude" is so good!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    vague, ysev, londonrain and 1 other person like this.
  8. My lowest score out, am happy now!

vague and londonrain like this.
  9. A bit sad to see Sweetheart go so soon. It is such a fucking sexy song and she sounds amazing on it. I guess it is a bit too urban for PopJustice...

vague, ysev and If You Go like this.
  10. I don't know if this is it.
    It's pretty widely disliked amongst Mariah fans as far as I can tell, even those who favour her more ''urban'' stuff.

vague and londonrain like this.
  11. Again people if the rapper on the track is too much for you, there is a version of 'Sweetheart' without JD.

and I'm not shocked to see 'Daydream Interlude' out, it's an interlude... duh.

vague likes this.
  12. That's the version I rated, I am going to be harping on this for part 2 of this rate when we get to the feature heavy songs because I do not want to see my favs tank due to people hating the features!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    vague likes this.
  13. Ha! Trust me, that's the only 1 gave and plenty of high 10s to make up for it!!

abael and vague like this.
  14. I'm sad to see Sweetheart gone, I think its actually a bit of a forgotten gem and a genuine slice of 90s r&b. I don't think I've lost any 10s yet which I'm happy with.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    vague likes this.
  15. I think it's so cool how Mariah gave us 5 new songs/recordings on #1's. That's more than the usual amount on the Greatest Hits albums.

Aester, GimmeWork, vague and 2 others like this.
  16. I think she did that mostly because she didn't like the idea of a "hits" album in the first place, it was more Columbia pushing for it.

GimmeWork, vague and londonrain like this.
  17. We're cutting two remixes today.

First up . . .

[​IMG]

If you wanna view paradise
    Think about our love and view it
    Nothing could be closer to it
    If we don't believe, we'll lose it

[​IMG]

"I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix)"

featuring Da Brat & Krayzie Bone

Score: 7.542
    High scores: 10×8 (@Jimmyandroid, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @ysev, @BreatheBox, @PayMe, @codecat, @Oceandrive), 9.5×2 (@If You Go, @Love Deluxe), 9×6 (@P'NutButter, @GimmeWork, @Imagineitwasus, @soratami, @Robsolete, @evilsin)
    Low scores: 3×2 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@Cowboystyle), 4.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #57 (tied), 7.5 avg.
    10 ballots: #45, 8 avg.
    15 ballots: #50 (tied), 7.867 avg.
    20 ballots: #56, 7.55 avg.
    25 ballots: #51, 7.64 avg.
    30 ballots: #52, 7.6 avg.
    35 ballots: #53, 7.386 avg.
    40 ballots: #53, 7.425 avg.
    45 ballots: #48, 7.578 avg.
    50 ballots: #47, 7.551 avg.
    55 ballots: #49, 7.501 avg.
    60 ballots: #49, 7.501 avg.
    61 ballots: #48, 7.542 avg.

"I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix)" is a remix/mash-up of Mariah's cover of Brenda K. Starr's "I Still Believe" and Gene Wilder's "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. Its lyrics and music were written by Mariah, Da Brat, Krayzie Bone, Damion Young, Anthony Newley, Antonina Armato, Beppe Cantarelli, and Leslie Bricusse and this remixed version was produced by Damizza. "I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix)" was the main remix promoted for "I Still Believe" and thus was on most of its CD releases. Krayzie Bone also included a slightly different version of the remix on his solo album, "Thug Mentality 1999". The music video is blocked in the US on YouTube for some reason, but you can watch a super LQ version here.

First off, this video was a nightmare to gif because there's a fade-in or fade-out literally every three goddamn seconds!!! So forgive the shit quality; I got fed up of trying to edit it and just left it as is dddd. But, anyway, this remix is pure genius. Can you imagine anyone else attempting to interpolate "Pure Imagination" into a smooth R&B/hip-hop track - and pulling it off??? I can't! Her mind, honestly. She's simply operating at a completely different level to anyone else.

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "That interpolation works so well."

@Pinky25 (10) — "I have never heard this and it's amazing!"

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this remix is CLASSIC. it's an awesome different version of the song, and something Mariah could really change and play with as the original was a cover. Her artistry is really on another level. Also I really wish I could see the video for this remix, but the youtube upload has been blocked in the US since FOREVER."

@ysev (10) — "I often times find myself craving this song when I just wanna lay back and contemplate about stuff. It has a very calming effect on me. I grew up with a brother who used to be a huge Bone Thugs-N-Harmony fan, so Pure Imagination and Breakdown are two songs I associate a lot with my childhood and make me nostalgic."

@P'NutButter (9) — "The Willy Wonka sample is just genius."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "Once again, an incredible mash-up with a sample that creates a mood and links things in the history of music. It's almost a meta-moment."

@evilsin (9) — "This is so much better than the original version, love the hook to death."

@Music Is Life (8.75) — "This is pretty good too."

@godspeed (8.5) — "It's funny because this one is not much of a remix to me, it's more of a collaboration between Mariah Carey and Krayzie Bone that features Da Brat and interpolates 'Pure Imagination' and 'I Still Believe.' Yet for what it is, it's perfect. I love this song so much. I know people on this forum despise this expression but this track is such a vibe. The chemistry between Mariah and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony already worked beautifully on 'Breakdown' so it's really nice to get another great one. This low-key should have been included on Rainbow... (also, that music video? I-CO-NIC.)"

@Sprockrooster (8) — "Especially Da Brat excels on this one compared to her other raps on Mariah tracks. Also Krayzie Bone is his chill self and fitting perfectly with the mellow beat."

@mokitsu (7.8) — "This just edges out over the original for me."

@abael (5) — "These extras are making me a misandrist. I hear a blokes voice and, like that, the mood is gone. This could've been something special, but Mariah just overdoes it. Appealing to everyone, interesting no one."

@DominoDancing (5) — "This really is such generic late-90s R'n'B. I don't even find Mariah's vocals particularly impressive here, smooth as they are."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (3) — "Not one of her best remixes/reinterpretations for me to be honest. Her original cover of this, is just so beautifully done in comparison."

18. I still believe/ pure imagination is genius! It’s so out there and creative and it sounds like halter tops and flat form shoes!

19. I only gave this remix a 8.5?

[​IMG]

20. One of my favourite things Mariah has done and it’s something that nobody else could’ve pulled off without sounding corny as hell. Sigh.

ohaimanabu, ysev, codecat and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.