The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. So, without further ado, our first cut is . . .

[​IMG]

Behold the Lamb of God has come
    Behold the Lamb of God has come
    Behold the Savior is born
    Sing of His love to everyone

[​IMG]

"Jesus Born On This Day"

Score: 5.502
    High scores: 10×1 (@PayMe), 9×2 (@playboy69, @If You Go), 8.5×1 (@pop3blow2), 8×8 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @AdzBrown, @ohaimanabu, @Daniel_O, @Pinky25, @Lapras, @Island)
    Low scores: 0×2 (@soratami, @Hurricane Drunk), 0.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 1×1 (@Tigerlily), 2×3 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @DominoDancing, @Seventeen Days)
    My score: 6

5 ballots: #72, 6.6 avg.
    10 ballots: #74, 5.91 avg.
    15 ballots: #74, 6.04 avg.
    20 ballots: #74, 5.93 avg.
    25 ballots: #74, 5.624 avg.
    30 ballots: #74, 5.77 avg.
    35 ballots: #74, 5.489 avg.
    40 ballots: #74, 5.54 avg.
    45 ballots: #74, 5.613 avg.
    50 ballots: #74, 5.582 avg.
    55 ballots: #74, 5.52 avg.
    60 ballots: #74, 5.502 avg.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, "Jesus Born On This Day" is our first cut - and the only song in the rate to have an average score below 6. "Jesus Born On This Day" is one of three original tracks from Mariah's first Christmas album, "Merry Christmas", and was written, arranged, and produced solely by Mariah herself and Walter Afanasieff.

As you can see from the leaderboard history above, our first five voters were a little kinder to the track; giving it a 6.6 avg. and ranking it above two other mystery tracks. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music in general - especially religiously themed songs due in large part to my fundie upbringing - so this was a chore for me to get through, to be honest dddd. I thought about cutting it before voting opened, but, in the end, I opted to include due to it being one of the few original tracks on the album. One thing even I can appreciate about this song is how much it actually does sound like an old-timey Christmas standard; I'd have never guessed listening to it that Mariah had co-written it for the album. Talent. I also quite like how reigned in her vocals are throughout. It's not often that Mariah shows this much restraint vocally - which is NOT a complaint - but this is a bit of a nice change of pace.

@If You Go (9) — "Merry Christmas the album very important to me since it encapsulates the joy Christmas for me, if the entire album had been included to rate it would probably have an absurdly high average just because I love the holiday and album so much. I also would have never guessed that this was an original song and the vocal performance is wonderful."

@Music Is Life (8) — "This is fine but I could do without it."

@japanbonustrack (7) — "The choir, the bells... I feel 3 again."

@bonnieetclyde (6.5) — "a bit saccharine. Does the job but the weakest of the original tracks on this album."

@godspeed (6) — "A Christmas song so not really my cup of tea but Mariah's voice sounds so angelic here that, suddenly, I don't mind listening to a Christian song about Jesus' birth."

@londonrain (6) — "This is good, but I can't justify it outranking the many other classics in this rate."

@BreatheBox (6) — "i'm not religious really... but gurl brought me to church."

@mokitsu (5) — "This is more one to enjoy as part of the full album than one I'd listen to individually. I do want to give her props for writing something so classic-sounding though. I was surprised to learn this was an original song."

@abael (4) — "Bells, organs, children, no."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (2) — "I just find this such a let down compared to her other two original masterpieces on her forever iconic Christmas album. Perhaps that's why it's so low for me? Or maybe it's not very good..."

@DominoDancing (2) — "This on the other hand is absolutely everything I hate about Christmas songs. Generic bible imagery and a children's choir. Kill me now."

@Seventeen Days (2) — "Nope, sorry. Can't do the extremely religious Christmas songs. Hard pass."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Rem, Remorque, Robert and 35 others like this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

An average of 15.75 tens per voter and no song with an average below 5.5?

Talent.

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 13 others like this.
  3. just one cut for tonight as I still need to make my ballots for @ohnostalgia and @Slice of Life's monthly charts and finish sorting commentary etc.

we'll be losing three more songs tomorrow, though. any guesses what could be out next?

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 15 others like this.
  4. Congratulations @vague on the turnout. Impressive numbers there.

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 13 others like this.
  5. Can’t say I’m sad to see this one leave first.

The graphics are on point.

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 6 others like this.
  6. I liked this at first but then I realized you included I Still Believe and that’s one of my favorite songs from childhood.

Remorque, ysev, vague and 1 other person like this.
  7. I am devastated that I missed this.

Remorque, ysev, GimmeWork and 2 others like this.
  8. I can’t remember if Thank God I found you was included in this half of the rate?

vague likes this.
  9. I hate miss you the most more, but not mad AT all this is leaving first.

Remorque and vague like this.
  10. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Butterfly - 9.33
    Mariah Carey - 8.86
    Daydream - 8.46
    Emotions - 7.3
    Miscellaneous + Extras - 6.76
    Music Box - 5.95

This is exactly how I'd rank them. I'm honestly so overwhelmed with my love for this woman, whew.

(But Music Box being her best-selling album worldwide is homophobic).

Rem, Remorque, Music Is Death and 8 others like this.
  11. Music Box is amazing, I literally can't with all the averages I'm reading here!

12. since we've only cut one track so far, and no matter what score you gave it its position wouldn't have changed anyway, I'm sure no one would mind if you joined us. can you get your ballot to me by tomorrow morning?

nope! that's coming in part two!

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 9 others like this.
  13. Good. That was my only 0, but I have to admit it was tempting to 0 the other two Christmas songs as well, to balance y'all overscoring them a bit. I kind of regret not doing it ddd

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

You did not just.......

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 8 others like this.
  15. I mean even the lowest-ranked song still got twelve scores above 8. The quality control of her material is just incredible.

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 5 others like this.
  16. @soratami coming straight out the gate with a 0 dhfhfh

Rem, Remorque, Oleander and 5 others like this.
  17. As one of the forum big Christmas music enthusiastics 'Jesus Born On This Day' can't really enthusias me. So a good start.

Neither Butterfly or Music Box are among her worst albums. How dare some of you pitting those two.

Rem, Remorque, ysev and 4 others like this.
  18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Music Box is literally one of my favourite albums of all time.

Receipts:

19. If it was, it would get my 10 in a blink of an eye.

Christmas song out first is no a surprise. I'm guessing we'll cut some obscure Emotions/Music Box songs or extras.

Remorque, ysev, vague and 2 others like this.
  20. My lowest score in the rate goes first! This is already off to a good start.

Now let's cull some of those remixes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.