The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. I never revealed this but I did about half of this rate and at that point Music Box was my highest rated album. And now after reading the thread, I think maybe it was for best I never finished scoring dddd.

2. Music Box is my least favourite album of the rate too. Still contains a fair few fantastic songs though no denying, including some some of her most iconic and successful singles.

vague likes this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I wish you had.

[​IMG]

Jacques, Sail On, nikkysan and 10 others like this.
  4. Not me legitimately adoring these last three cuts and we are in the SIXTIES.

5. The ONLY filler on all of Butterfly is "Babydoll."

Everything else is close to masterpiece status.

I just PLEASE need "Beautiful Ones" and "Outside" to not be done dirty.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    vague, Maria and londonrain like this.
  6. Me too.

vague and londonrain like this.
  7. I definitely agree that Babydoll is the low point of the album, if not all the albums.

vague and londonrain like this.
  8. Neither Daydream or Butterfly have "low points"...

[​IMG]

9. This rate basically becoming the Mariah Carey Discourse Simulator

Lapras, abael, ysev and 3 others like this.
  10. Our final cut today will see the second single of the rate to fall . . .

[​IMG]

My love, there's only you in my life
    The only thing that's right
    My first love, you're every breath that I take
    You're every step I make

[​IMG]

"Endless Love"

with Luther Vandross

Score: 7.040
    High scores: 10×5 (@playboy69, @EricG1990, @Sprockrooster, @RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life), 9×5 (@londonrain, @Sail On, @RainOnFire, @Oceandrive, @vague), 8.5×3 (@tylerc904, @Cowboystyle, @pop3blow2)
    Low scores: 1×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 3×1 (@P'NutButter), 4×2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Blond)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: #61 (tied), 7.4 avg.
    10 ballots: #60 (tied), 7.45 avg.
    15 ballots: #53, 7.8 avg.
    20 ballots: #52, 7.7 avg.
    25 ballots: #56, 7.44 avg.
    30 ballots: #57, 7.417 avg.
    35 ballots: #62, 7.043 avg.
    40 ballots: #60, 7.113 avg.
    45 ballots: #62, 7.054 avg.
    50 ballots: #63, 7.039 avg.
    55 ballots: #67, 6.972 avg.
    60 ballots: #66, 7.008 avg.
    61 ballots: #66, 7.04 avg.

And so, our second single and first collaboration to fall is the beautiful Luther Vandross duet "Endless Love", taken from his 1994 cover album, "Songs", and is, of course, a cover of Diana Ross and Lionel Richie's 1981 US #1 single. The song's music and lyrics were written by Lionel Richie, and this version was produced and arranged by Walter Afanasieff.

Tommy Mottola, the head of Sony Records, and Mariah's then-husband, suggested to Luther to release an album of cover songs, as he felt Luther's cover versions were often the highlights of his albums. Mariah herself suggested the inclusion of "Endless Love" on the tracklist, as it was one of her favorite songs as a child, and volunteered to record the song with him. The single was a huge hit, peaking in the top ten in most markets it was released, including New Zealand (#1), Australia (#2), the US (#2), and the UK (#3), and sold over 1 million copies worldwide. The Japanese release of the single featured solo versions of the song by both Mariah and Luther as its b-sides.

Is this song a lil cheesy? Sure. But there's still something so amazing about these two vocal titans coming together and performing the hell out of a song the way they do on "Endless Love". Luther's tone is so rich and gorgeous, and he more than holds his own here with peak Mariah; that's talent.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "I honestly like this more than the original. Luther and Mariah's voices go together perfectly and Mariah's ad libs are incredible here."

@londonrain (9) — "This is sublime. I'm so glad this finally made it onto her Greatest Hits, because I never bought Luther's album. (I also have a Mariah-only edit somewhere that I can sing along to if I want to pretend to be Luther.)"

@pop3blow2 (8.5) — "I remember rushing out to buy this the day of its release. This was around 'peak Mariah' fandom for me. I played this to death, because she could've literally put anything out at the time & I'd been stanning it. All-in-all it holds up fairly well for what it is & her and Luther sound good together."

@Music Is Life (8) — "This is a good ballad, and a nice enough collaboration, although I don't think I've ever heard of the guy. I love her voice, and the piano throughout."

@Imagineitwasus (8) — "Again, I love her with R&B crooners' voice. She is pure buttery on this."

@ohaimanabu (8) — "I'm not gonna act like I don't try to sing both parts at karaoke."

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "their voices work well together. It's a serviceable cover but fails to add anything new or original."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (7) — "A coming together of two vocal geniuses. This takes an 80's love song and makes it not only for the 90's, but dare I say it, much more timeless too. Would be a bit more higher if I went back to it more often than I actually do."

@godspeed (7) — "This is a cute cover."

@BreatheBox (6.7) — "girl serve vocals."

@mokitsu (6.25) — "Is it bad that until now I had no idea this was a top 3 hit in both the UK & the US? I also had no idea a solo Mariah version existed. Regardless - it's cute and nothing more."

@DominoDancing (6) — "Good performances, but the song itself...let's just say I don't like Lionel and Diana's version either."

@abael (5) — "It's just so...middling the definitive 5 of Mariah songs."

@Ana Raquel (5) — "I can't listen to Luther Vandross anymore without thinking BEYONCÉ SWEETIE I'M SO SORRY. Thank you, New York."

@P'NutButter (3) — "Incredible vocals, but the cheese is strong."

we'll be back on schedule with another three cuts, including another collaboration.

11. Ok but the live performance of Endless Love at the Royal Albert Hall is iconic. This got a 9 from me. It’s cheesy but that vocal performance is insane.

Worth noting that Mariah whilst not sounding like her 90s self sounded incredible when I saw her perform this recently.

12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

You guys... stop cutting the ballads and start eliminating the weaker remixes.

There are a couple of truly great remixes in there but a few of them have way overstayed their welcome.

abael, ysev, Music Is Death and 5 others like this.
  13. The only one I really use is the C+C Remix of "Anytime You Need a Friend". The rest can vacate soon.

abael and vague like this.
  14. Beautiful Collaboration. Mariah looks just super cool and beautiful in the recording studio video version.

ysev, vague and londonrain like this.
  15. I adore Mariah, but 'Endless Love' with Luther literally makes my skin crawl.

The Mariah-only version on the Japan CD is better.

ysev and vague like this.
  16. I am SHOOK to discover a Mariah solo version exists.

ysev, P'NutButter, playboy69 and 5 others like this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

It's just the duet version with Luther's vocals taken off - so Luther's opening solo becomes an instrumental, and Mariah's ad libs don't have Luther under them.

18. Ah I see, good to know though.

19. Another collab out tomorrow? It must be Sweetheart.

Lapras and vague like this.
  20. Nooo that is one of the coolest things she's ever done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.