The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. The original Whenever You Call better stick around for a lot longer...!

The fact we are already at a 7+ average - truly iconic. I would normally be mad at songs like When I Saw You or I Am Free going at this stage but given that that's what I scored them I can't really complain.

2. Me @ all these eliminations

[​IMG]

DominoDancing and vague like this.
  3. So far on the whole it is so good for me how it's going despite a couple of acceptions. Hope that will be the case for a while yet....

vague likes this.
  4. apologies. today’s eliminations will be a little later than usual; I have a few errands to run after work and I didn't think to draft up today’s posts last night.

soratami, evilsin, RUNAWAY and 5 others like this.
  5. No need to apologise, thanks so much for doing such a fab job with all the posts

6. [​IMG]

I need you
    I want you
    Tell me why the beautiful ones
    They hurt you every time

[​IMG]

"The Beautiful Ones"

featuring Dru Hill

Score: 7.084
    High scores: 10×5 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @CasuallyCrazed, @LeBratt, @Blond), 9.5×1 (@AdzBrown), 9×8 (@Maria, @Tigerlily, @godspeed, @evilsin, @Lapras, @Mushroom, @Veeis, @RainOnFire)
    Low scores: 1×2 (@playboy69, @Daniel_O), 4×3 (@EricG1990, @Hurricane Drunk, @Seventeen Days), 4.5×1 (@Cowboystyle)
    My score: 7.75

5 ballots: #68, 6.85 avg.
    10 ballots: #67, 7.265 avg.
    15 ballots: #65, 7.343 avg.
    20 ballots: #71, 7.058 avg.
    25 ballots: #69, 6.906 avg.
    30 ballots: #71, 6.915 avg.
    35 ballots: #68, 6.813 avg.
    40 ballots: #71, 6.749 avg.
    45 ballots: #68, 6.892 avg.
    50 ballots: #67, 6.853 avg.
    55 ballots: #64, 7.048 avg.
    60 ballots: #61, 7.086 avg.
    61 ballots: #62, 7.084 avg.

"Butterfly" finally loses its first track with "The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)", a cover of the third track from Prince's soundtrack album "Purple Rain". The song's music and lyrics were written by Price, and this version was arranged and produced by Mariah and Cory Rooney.

I've never really been the biggest fan of this one tbh. I tend to skip it when I listen to "Butterfly" in full just to get to "Outside" quicker. But listening to it several times for this rate over the past few months has helped it grow on me a bit more - especially the track's closing moments. I always enjoy the songs where Mariah restrains herself in the first half, only to really let loose at the end, and this is no exception. Mariah's raspy vocals are also a big plus here for me and really sell the pain and longing she's singing of. I wouldn't have picked another song to go first from this (nearly) perfect album, but at least the rate helped me appreciate this a bit more.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "I admit, normally I don't have a lot of patience for songs with a length as long as this. But, this never loses it's magic all the way through, and it's impossible to tire of it. Prince must have been proud with the Carey touch on this I think."

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "The remake of this maybe is perfection but when you fancy 7 minutes of Mariah with plenty of belting then this song is perfect for that moment."

@Blond (10) — "I don't really stan many male artists. In fact you can probably count the ones that I do on one hand. But Prince is definitely one of the few. He was one of the most talented, coolest people who have ever existed. His catalogue is untouchable and this was one of my favourite songs of his. I'm not always a fan of covers but Mariah's tend to be respectful to the original while still in Mariah's style, and this is no exception."

@godspeed (9) — "I wonder what this forum thinks of this song because it doesn't seem to get much love from the few people I know who like Mariah Carey. First off, we need to talk about Mariah working with Dru Hill. I'm pretty sure they were trying to have a 'One Sweet Day' moment, sort of, on the album and Dru Hill were great, so why not? But in true Mariah fashion, and especially on this album and at this point of her career, she just couldn't give the label what they wanted, that is to say a big syrupy and uplifting ballad featuring a R&B group. Nope. Mariah went for a cover of the one and only Prince - a song that is one of my favorites of his. The guys from Dru Hill do a pretty good job here, they give a totally different feel to an iconic song, making it kind of smoother and adding that modern/90s touch I like a lot. But as soon as Mariah comes in and sings softly those 'baby, baby, baby'... I am in absolute heaven! Short story long: I think this is a brilliant take on an iconic song and it's so nice that the obligatory 80s rock cover of the album is something a bit more adventurous and surprising than a Journey or a Foreigner's song."

@evilsin (9) — "At first I wasn't sure about this, but as it continued playing, I loved it more and more."

@Veeis (9) — "It's possibly my favourite cover that she's done? It's a pure 7 min lengthy bliss with heavenly vocals and amazing vibe."

@pop3blow2 (8.8) — "Sort of a quirky song for her to include here, on this album. She really did have a certain 'IDGAF' attitude around this time."

@Music Is Life (8) — "Um this is nice enough I guess. I don't know, I like it, but I'm just not feeling it that much. It's cute. It drags a little too though."

@tylerc904 (8) — "I heard this before Prince's and loved it. I do prefer her version but that's just my Mariah bias."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "I used to dislike the way they slowed it down, but I got around to appreciate its nonchalance."

@bonnieetclyde (6.5) — "it's just sort of there... Doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Very middle of the road."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Just why is this version seven minutes long? Way to make me get bored of an otherwise pretty song. I also find some of Sisqo's adlibs on this quite dreadful."

@Pinky25 (6) — "My least favorite song on my favorite Mariah album. I actually like Dru Hill but I do not like this cover."

@londonrain (6) — "Dru Hill bring this down a bit, but 'Do you want him / Or do you want me / 'Cause I want you' is a moment."

@Ana Raquel (5.5) — "Too long and it drags a bit, but the whistles in the background make up for it."

@abael (5) — "Production is again minimal, but they at least seem to have some vision concerning what the track is trying to be. Dru Hill is annoying here and the track drags something shocking in the end."

@lalaclairi_ (5) — "Really the only song on 'Butterfly' that I'd delete."

@Seventeen Days (4) — "Sorry Mariah and Sisqo, but you can't even remotely touch Prince on this one. C+ for effort though."

7. Fine with this one going, now let’s leave Butterfly untouched until Top 30.

8. Noooo!!! Not Till The End of Time!! It's one of the best tracks on Emotions! What is wrong with people!!

Not happy to see The Beautiful Ones go either, but I'll take it leaving over Babydoll! I can't believe people are calling for it's elimination!

Just add in The Wind and you've got a perfect trilogy!

londonrain, vague and nikkysan like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Don't you know, I don't need no apologies, no
    I'm not looking for no sympathy, oh
    All I'm asking for is for your honesty
    Won't you give it to me, give it to me now

[​IMG]

"If It's Over"

Score: 7.105
    High scores: 10×5 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @londonrain, @LeBratt, @Blond), 9.5×1 (@Oleander), 9×8 (@bonnieetclyde, @Maria, @AdzBrown, @RUNAWAY, @godspeed, @pop3blow2, @BreatheBox, @vague)
    Low scores: 3×3 (@Ana Raquel, @Aester, @DominoDancing), 4×5 (@playboy69, @Tigerlily, @Hurricane Drunk, @If You Go, @Veeis), 5×2 (@nikkysan, @RainOnFire)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: #47 (tied), 8.1 avg.
    10 ballots: #54, 7.65 avg.
    15 ballots: #50 (tied), 7.867 avg.
    20 ballots: #57, 7.5 avg.
    25 ballots: #60, 7.36 avg.
    30 ballots: #61, 7.367 avg.
    35 ballots: #58, 7.214 avg.
    40 ballots: #61, 7.088 avg.
    45 ballots: #61, 7.133 avg.
    50 ballots: #61, 7.058 avg.
    55 ballots: #58, 7.153 avg.
    60 ballots: #60, 7.123 avg.
    61 ballots: #61, 7.105 avg.

"If It's Over" is the fifth track from "Emotions" and the second track from "MTV Unplugged". The song's lyrics were written by Mariah, it was composed by Mariah and Carole King, and arranged+produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff. During the recording sessions for her second album, Carole King contacted Mariah asking if she would be interested in covering Aretha Franklin's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", a track she had previously co-written. Mariah politely declined, feeling she could not better an already perfect song performed by one of her musical idols, but Carole was still determined to work with her, so she flew to New York for one day, where the pair collaborated and ultimately produced "If It's Over".

Although not issued as one of its singles, Mariah performed the track at several promotional events for "Emotions", including SNL, the Oprah Winfrey Show, and the 1992 Grammy Awards. Mariah also performed it as part of her MTV Unplugged set, and the live version was subsequently released as the second single from the EP in Europe, Australia, and Japan on August 28, 1992. The single performed poorly, peaking at #80 in the Netherlands and #115 in Australia, and only sold 10,000 copies in total.

This is one of the songs I immediately think of whenever I think of Mariah... it feels like such an integral and important part of her discography, despite never being released as a single where I live. What I wouldn't give to have been able to hear this performed live at her vocal peak, damn.

@Music Is Life (10) — "This ballad is my favorite so far. I love the R&B feel of it, and the production works so well with the lyrics and her voice. It actually reminds me of (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, production-wise. The backing vocals are great, and help lift the song too."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "What a vocal performance this is! I always consider this to be an unofficial single from Emotions, via its limited release from MTV Unplugged. With Carol King on board too the world's first leading female singer songwriter, this was never going to fail."

@londonrain (10) — "I love this song and really wish there had been more collaborations with Carole King. Her vocals are incredible, the lyrics are heartbreaking, and the live performances... wig flew to Neptune."

@Blond (10) — "Some of her earlier ballads can be a little too pedestrian, but If It's Over is so over the top and brilliant."

@bonnieetclyde (9) — "take me to church, Mimi. It's so simple, in terms of production, but so powerful vocally/emotionally/lyrically. This potentially should have ended the album."

@godspeed (9) — "The MTV Unplugged version of 'If It's Over' really elevated this song in my opinion and turned it into one of early - Mariah's finest gems - and an underrated one for what it's worth. 'If It's Over' is so unashamedly soulful with even a bit of a bluesy influence (Carole King co-wrote this after all!) and demonstrates a totally different vocal palette of Mariah. It's truly an outstanding song!"

@pop3blow2 (9) — "I mean, it's a tune written by Carole King & Mariah Carey. I was pretty obsessed with this song & that whole combination when I was young. I was a pretty big Carole fan & adored."

@BreatheBox (9) — "grand ballad for all ages... those horns in the live versions... wow..."

@Seventeen Days (8.5) — "This was co-written with Carole King?! Wow, we love an iconic collab! This sounds like it could be an Aretha Franklin track, which was probably intentional? (Also, I used to play the hell out of the Unplugged EP but for some reason I don't remember it on there.)"

@Jimmyandroid (8) — "I always thought that Mariah + Carole King should be better but have warmed to it in recent years. The live version from the Grammy's slays."

@Imagineitwasus (8) — "I love the performances for this one. Diva cantate-ish."

@Womanizer (7) — "I really wish I could like this."

@abael (7) — "A blowaway performance by Mariah keeps this from being audio fodder."

@Veeis (4) — "Never liked it."

@DominoDancing (3) — "Overblown and completely flaccid at the same time."

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Mariah Carey"
    (11/11)

01 Vision Of Love
    02 There's Got To Be A Way
    03 I Don't Wanna Cry
    04 Someday
    05 Vanishing
    06 All In Your Mind
    07 Alone In Love
    08 You Need Me
    09 Sent From Up Above
    10 Prisoner
    11 Love Takes Time

[​IMG]
    "Emotions"
    (6/10)

01 Emotions
    02 And You Don't Remember
    03 Can't Let Go
    04 Make It Happen
    05 If It's Over
    06 You're So Cold
    07 So Blessed
    08 To Be Around You
    09 Till The End Of Time
    10 The Wind

[​IMG]
    "MTV Unplugged"
    (1/1)

01 I'll Be There (feat. Trey Lorenz)

[​IMG]
    "Music Box"
    (7/10)

01 Dreamlover
    02 Hero
    03 Anytime You Need A Friend
    04 Music Box
    05 Now That I Know
    06 Never Forget You
    07 Without You
    08 Just To Hold You Once Again
    09 I've Been Thinking About You
    10 All I've Ever Wanted

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas"
    (2/3)

01 All I Want For Christmas Is You
    02 Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
    03 Jesus Born On This Day

[​IMG]
    "Daydream"
    (10/12)

01 Fantasy
    02 Underneath The Stars
    03 One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
    04 Open Arms
    05 Always Be My Baby
    06 I Am Free
    07 When I Saw You
    08 Long Ago
    09 Melt Away
    10 Forever
    11 Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
    12 Looking In

[​IMG]
    "Butterfly"
    (11/12)

01 Honey
    02 Butterfly
    03 My All
    04 The Roof
    05 Fourth Of July
    06 Breakdown (feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
    07 Babydoll
    08 Close My Eyes
    09 Whenever You Call
    10 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
    11 The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
    12 Outside

[​IMG]
    "#1's"
    (3/5)

01 Sweetheart (with JD)
    02 When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
    03 Whenever You Call (with Brian McKnight)
    04 I Still Believe
    05 Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme From Mahogany)

[​IMG]
    "Extras"
    (9/10)

01 Do You Think Of Me
    02 Everything Fades Away
    03 Slipping Away
    04 Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)
    05 Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)
    06 Fantasy (Bad Boy Remix feat. O.D.B.)
    07 Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix feat. Da Brat & Xscape)
    08 Honey (So So Def Remix feat. Da Brat & JD)
    09 My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix feat. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz)
    10 I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix feat. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat)​

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  11. Some people just don't have the intellect to process a song longer than 4:30, I guess.
    [​IMG]

12. I'm about to fall asleep at my desk, so I don't think I'm going to get #60 posted tonight. :/

I was expecting things to calm down for me this week, but everything is still so busy, so it might be for the best if I cut back to 2 posts a day for now. if you've been apart of / followed either of the other rates I've run, you'll know I've never had issues getting things out on time or had any delays or w/e, but I can't seem to get my shit together for this rate ddddd. I'm really sorry!! I feel bad about this, but hope you all understand x

13. Whew, the debut remains untouched and unbothered as it deserves.
    [​IMG]

14. Don't apologize, @vague, you're doing a great job keeping this moving!

The Prince version of "The Beautiful Ones" is one of my favorite songs of all time, and I feel like the cover is so... plodding and devoid of emotion in comparison. I mean, the way Prince screams! You really feel what he's expressing. I think Mariah does an okay job with her parts but she needed a stronger male voice to accompany her. Or, hell, she should have just done the whole thing herself. (And I don't actually mind Sisqo usually, but I just don't think he knew what he was doing.)

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

NOOOOOO not If It’s Over! One of Mariah’s absolute best.

16. Okay, now "The Beautiful Ones" is the first real sting of the rate for me. I didn't know it was a Prince cover, but now I can clearly hear it in the production.

"If It's Over" is fine with a dash of vocal acrobatics, still in the end, I'm not that moved by that.

And @vague, hun, relax and enjoy the rate. The rate is amazing and you are amazing.

17. This. And rightfully so too! Best debut album of all time after all!

Cowboystyle, vague and abael like this.
  18. The Beautiful Ones, really is such a fantastic cover. One of those covers so good, you'd think was a Mariah original I think with the way she puts her stamp on it.

vague, godspeed, Blond and 3 others like this.
  19. Losing The Beautiful Ones hurts really bad, it's truly gorgeous. I should've given it a 10 instead of 9.

Mushroom, vague, Tigerlily and 5 others like this.
  20. I wasn't expecting The Beautiful Ones to exit so early. It deserved a place in the top 40.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.