The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. I'm not bothered at all about The Beautiful Ones going, however If It's Over and Miss You Most (At Christmas) are both great songs and deserved to stay a bit longer.

Music Is Death, vague and londonrain like this.
  2. After remaining untouched for 15 eliminations, the debut album finally loses its first track . . .

[​IMG]

Sitting in the dark without you
    How am I supposed to make it through the night
    Oh, baby, slowly fall apart without you
    Cry away the hours 'til the morning light

[​IMG]

"Alone In Love"

Score: 7.134
    High scores: 10×2 (@The Hot Rock, @If You Go), 9.5×1 (@vague), 9×3 (@japanbonustrack, @Aester, @Veeis)
    Low scores: 4×2 (@Jimmyandroid, @Ana Raquel), 5×1 (@londonrain), 5.5×1 (@DominoDancing)
    My score: 9.5

5 ballots: #57 (tied), 7.5 avg.
    10 ballots: #66, 7.27 avg.
    15 ballots: #69, 7.08 avg.
    20 ballots: #70, 7.06 avg.
    25 ballots: #68, 6.988 avg.
    30 ballots: #67, 7.048 avg.
    35 ballots: #61, 7.084 avg.
    40 ballots: #59, 7.199 avg.
    45 ballots: #59, 7.177 avg.
    50 ballots: #59, 7.088 avg.
    55 ballots: #59, 7.139 avg.
    60 ballots: #58, 7.144 avg.
    61 ballots: #59, 7.134 avg.

"Alone In Love" is the seventh track from Mariah's debut album. Its music and lyrics were written by Mariah and Ben Margulies; it was arranged by Mariah, Ben Margulies, and Chris Toland; and produced by Rhett Lawrence. Rhett Lawrence also co-produced "Vision Of Love", and is known for his work with Monica ("Angel Of Mine"), Kelly Clarkson ("Miss Independent"), Melanie C ("Never Be The Same Again (feat. Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes)"), Eternal ("I Wanna Be The Only One (feat. BeBe Winans)"), and Black Eyed Peas ("Request Line (feat. Macy Gray)"), among many others.

I was shocked when the ballots first started coming in and almost everyone was very blasé about this as it's always been a huge fave of mine from the debut album. I'm a sucker for any kind of moody, forlorn midtempo anyway, but add in Mariah's sublime lower register and I'm in heaven. Also, I've always thought that this has some of the best, most evocative lyrics from the debut as well. This should've outlasted "*** **** **" at the very least!

@The Hot Rock (10) — "I'm floating."

@If You Go (10) — "One of my favorites on her debut, would have loved this to have been a single instead of 'I Don't Wanna Cry.'"

@Veeis (9) — "So ethereal and airy, I love her vocals in it. And that middle-8, god. Amazing song."

@Music Is Life (8) — "'Set me on fire, but now I'm left with a spark,' is a lyrical highlight on this. I love the production on this as well."

@pop3blow2 (8) — "Among Mariah's weaker ballads on the album, as an actual song. I do love her vocal here, though."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (7) — "Track 7 now and the weakest one that the debut album has to offer. But, because it IS Mariah Carey aka the greatest debut album of all time, it's still far from filler and still a solid 7 too. Just doesn't quite hit the high points of it's track - mates for me."

@bonnieetclyde (7) — "that gorgeous lower register vocal again - very yummy. The song itself just sort of plods along."

@ohaimanabu (7) — "Even one of the weaker cuts on MC is high quality."

@abael (7) — "An otherwise tepid song propped up by powerhouse vocals may be a running theme. Unfortunately, bland releases will exist forever; Mariah's vocals though..."

@godspeed (7) — "It may not be to me one of the most striking songs on the debut album or very memorable production-wise, but the lyrics on 'Alone In Love' are excellent and this shows that from the get-go Mariah was a gifted, smart and ambitious songwriter."

@Seventeen Days (6.75) — "The ballad style of this one wasn't super working for me at first, but I'm liking it a little more after a couple of listens. Still doesn't reach the ranks of the singles for me, though."

@Imagineitwasus (6) — "The middle eight alone elevates this to a 6."

@DominoDancing (5.5) — "Kinda pretty, but also kinda sappy and kinda...boring."

@londonrain (5) — "By Mariah's standards, this is... fine. I never skip it but I never actively seek it out."

@Jimmyandroid (4) — "Possibly her most forgettable song."

3. For sure the weakest (joint-weakest at least) on debut - more than time it left.

4. I think this is my first 10 to leave and I am not happy about this! I don't understand how this is not a fan favorite, it's so good!

Aester and vague like this.
  5. I like Alone in Love but then again I like most of her debut album a lot.

Aester and vague like this.
  6. Ok so I’m a bit salty about The Beautiful Ones leaving so early. It’s such an immersive record.

I thought Miss You Most At Christmas Time was very well loved?

londonrain, Butterfly and vague like this.
  7. Not surprised that Beautiful Ones is lost on some of you heathenous Butterfly exterminators.

[​IMG]

I think it improves the Prince version tenfold and is one of her best covers ever.

Ok, it really is time for some of these remixes & extras to GO.

8. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

They’re called Asia O’Haras.

abael, ysev, londonrain and 4 others like this.
  9. Time to really start culling some remixes

10. 21 to 60 for Miss You Most At Christmas Time? Wow, that's quite a drop! Goes to show how every single vote, really does count!

vague likes this.
  11. I can live with Alone In Love being the first cut of the divine debut. Just no more culls from it just yet please...

abael and vague like this.
  12. I am getting robbed, first The Beautiful Ones and now Alone In Love? Gorgeous songs are being eliminated while those extras are still in.

vague and If You Go like this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The actual B-sides can all stay, though. It’s the two poor remixes I object to (and the two serviceable but unimpressive ones).

Music Is Death, abael and vague like this.
  14. 'Alone In Love' suffers due to it sounding so dated. Great song though.

vague and londonrain like this.
  15. The two tracks I fear could not be long in this rate from the debut now, are All In Your Mind and You Need Me.

Music Is Death, vague and londonrain like this.
  16. Alone In Love and You Need Me are definitely the two weakest links on the debut, but both are pretty great.

The remixes really should vacate.

17. Yes, c'mon remixes!

18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Also: All In Your Mind and Sent From Up Above.

vague likes this.
  19. Another possibility yes. And another hugely underrated song too!!

vague and londonrain like this.
  20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I would expect those two to go before You Need Me, which has the bop factor in its favour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.