The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. The second part of the tie is a single . . .

It's also someone's 11 . . .

It's the only 11 to miss the top 40 :(

[​IMG]

And after all this time
    You'd think that I wouldn't feel the same
    But time melts into nothing
    Nothing's changed

[​IMG]

#44 (tie)
    "I Still Believe"

Score: 7.631
    High scores: 11×1 (@playboy69), 10×11 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @Daniel_O, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @japanbonustrack, @BEST FICTION, @londonrain, @Slice of Life, @PayMe, @vague), 9.5×2 (@Womanizer, @Aester), 9.3×1 (@pop3blow2)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 4×2 (@abael, @Ana Raquel), 5×5 (@Sprockrooster, @nikkysan, @lalaclairi_, @Blond, @RainOnFire)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #9 (tied), 9.4 avg.
    10 ballots: #20 (tied), 8.9 avg.
    15 ballots: #34, 8.467 avg.
    20 ballots: #34, 8.175 avg.
    25 ballots: #42, 7.94 avg.
    30 ballots: #40, 7.91 avg.
    35 ballots: #43, 7.666 avg.
    40 ballots: #38, 7.845 avg.
    45 ballots: #41, 7.728 avg.
    50 ballots: #40, 7.775 avg.
    55 ballots: #44, 7.7 avg.
    60 ballots: #44, 7.633 avg.
    61 ballots: #44 (tied), 7.631 avg.

And so, our first 11 to fall is Mariah's cover of Brenda K. Starr's 1988 US #13 hit, "I Still Believe". Its lyrics and music were written by Antonina Armato and Beppe Cantarelli, and Mariah's cover was produced by Steven "Stevie J." Jordan and Mike Mason. "I Still Believe" was released as the third and final single from "#1's" on February 8, 1999; it peaked at #2 in Hungary, #4 in the US, #7 in Spain, #9 in Canada, and #16 in the UK, and has sold over 1.12 million physical copies worldwide.

As most of you will already know, Mariah chose to cover this song for her first compilation album as a tribute to Brenda K. Starr, as had Mariah had been one of Brenda's back-up singers in the late '80s and she was the one to give Mariah's demo tape to Tommy Mottola, leading to Mariah being signed to Sony Records shortly after. In a December 1998 interview with Entertainment Tonight, she went on to say, "I'm really glad that I got a chance to remake the song 'I Still Believe' because the album is called '#1's' and this is the first song that I sang as a professional singer ... I was a little skinny kid with no money that she took under her wing and she was so nice to me. I auditioned to be her back-up singer and she hired me and she used to bring me clothes and food, and she really took care of me like a big sister ... When I sing it now, it reminds me of those times."

This is such a gorgeous ballad and it shouldn't be out yet, wtf y'all. Like... I truly have no words. Watching this freefall down the leaderboard as more and more votes came in was so... disheartening to see. But I know that other people not loving this the way that I do will not stop this from being a god-tier song for me, so w/e.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "It took me a far while to warm up to this. But, I am glad I eventually did. I just love how sweet and humble Mariah was to pay homage and thanks to the woman who helped her get her big break, and now at the end of the music decade SHE owned, Mariah felt it was time to stop and say thanks. Oh, and it's just a seriously dreamy performance by Ms Carey once again."

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "I love the way she sings 'worth the risk of burning'."

@Pinky25 (10) — "Another one of my childhood favorites. I just went back and listened to it and I really like the huskiness that Mariah's voice has on this song. This was one of my favorite Mariah songs as a kid and I really like how Mariah wanted to give a shout out to a person who was supportive in the beginning of her career."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "I instantly fell in love with this song when I heard it back in the day, and it still holds up. Ballads really seem to do that more so than uptempo songs. They just have that classic feel that really ages well."

@londonrain (10) — "This so deserved to be a #1 from #1s. One of her best covers."

@Slice of Life (10) — "A full decade later, I'm still shook after learning that this isn't a Mariah original. Still a classic. An all-time fave."

@pop3blow2 (9.3) — "Just such a great song. I love both the original & Mariah's take. Always thought it was a classy tribute to another woman who was supportive of her when she was trying to break into the business. Even Mariah takes dials her Diva-level down every now & then."

@Music Is Life (9) — "Another gorgeous ballad from the woman. She seriously knew (and still knows) what she's doing doesn't she?"

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "I love this cover."

@Seventeen Days (8.5) — "Mariah does a fantastic job of paying tribute to this Brenda K. Starr classic. We wouldn't have the legend that is Mariah without Brenda's help in getting her demo tape in the right hands, which makes this cover all the more meaningful."

@godspeed (8) — "Shame on me because I tend to forget this song exists, probably because it never was part of an actual album, but it's really beautiful and I love the story behind it. This song is unfortunately often overlooked, and I'm the first to do it so my apologies. Also, it gave us a hell of a 'remix' but more on that later... (hopefully it won't leave earlier in the rate)"

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "i like it but I know I won't remember it after it's finished."

@mokitsu (7.5) — "It took me a long time to appreciate it but this is a cute little song."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "It's an okay ballad. Again, I hadn't heard Brenda K. Starr's original before this rate. Strangely, I feel like the dramatic qualities of the melody come through a bit better on her version (which would be a 7.5 I guess?), even though Mariah undoubtedly has a stronger voice."

@If You Go (6) — "It's a nice song and I generally like her cover, but this is one of her worst studio vocal performances so that drags it down a bit."

@abael (4) — "Pretty unidentifiable."

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

3. I Still Believe is just utterly beautiful. An underrated Mariah cover, and one that should have done better, both on the charts back in 99, and 2 decades later, in this rate.

Aester, ysev, pop3blow2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Oh this is sad. Not only as it is my 11 but because it's such a beautiful song and possibly her best vocals ever. Coincidentally the song has a lot of meaning to me with where I am in my life right now, whereas it didn't when I submitted my scores.

Aester, ysev, ohaimanabu and 3 others like this.
  5. Love this "recent" actually live vocal -

6. Oh, come on. That was one of Mariah's best covers.

Aester, playboy69, ysev and 5 others like this.
  7. Yeah, seems a bit soon for this one. The sentiment of the song mixed with the vocal is an absolute win for me.

Aester, playboy69, ysev and 3 others like this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This has to be a bad sign for the more straightforward ballad singles, surely?

I worry for My All and Can’t Let Go. (Hero and One Sweet Day seem doomed to be divisive anyway.)

Music Is Death, Aester, ysev and 3 others like this.
  9. Today's last cut is a track from "Butterfly" . . .

[​IMG]

Don't be afraid to fly
    Spread your wings
    Open up the door
    So much more outside

[​IMG]

"Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)"

Score: 7.721
    High scores: 10×6 (@Music Is Life, @Ana Raquel, @ysev, @japanbonustrack, @evilsin, @codecat), 9.5×2 (@pop3blow2, @vague), 9×9 (@Jimmyandroid, @GimmeWork, @Maria, @Imagineitwasus, @Tigerlily, @Sprockrooster, @soratami, @BEST FICTION, @Blond)
    Low scores: 4×1 (@WhatKindOfKylie?), 4.5×1 (@BreatheBox), 5×3 (@londonrain, @Aester, @Sail On)
    My score: 9.5

5 ballots: #57 (tied), 7.5 avg.
    10 ballots: #46 (tied), 7.95 avg.
    15 ballots: #45 (tied), 8.067 avg.
    20 ballots: #39, 8.1 avg.
    25 ballots: #36, 8.14 avg.
    30 ballots: #38, 8.05 avg.
    35 ballots: #32, 8.043 avg.
    40 ballots: #39, 7.838 avg.
    45 ballots: #40, 7.767 avg.
    50 ballots: #43, 7.705 avg.
    55 ballots: #42, 7.745 avg.
    60 ballots: #42, 7.75 avg.
    61 ballots: #43, 7.721 avg.

"Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)" is the tenth track from "Butterfly". Its lyrics were written by Mariah, Elton John, and Bernie Taupin and it was composed and produced by Mariah and David Morales. "Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)" uses an interpolation from Elton John's 1975 US #4 single "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" in its lyrics.

During the recording sessions for her sixth studio album, Mariah wrote the lyrics for "Butterfly" with the intention for them to be paired with a house beat provided by David Morales. However, once the lyrics were completed, she realized they would work better as a ballad and took them to Walter Afanasieff instead, thus creating the album's title track, "Butterfly". Still, Mariah continued working with Morales, and the pair took the song's original lyrics and melody to create "Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)" as well. Morales also created two full club mixes of "Fly Away" as b-sides to the "Butterfly" 12" single release: "Fly Away Club Mix" and "Def 'B' Fly Mix".

It's a shame we never got a full album of house tracks with Mariah and Morales co-producing sometime in the '90s. Their work together then was always top-notch, and this track is no exception.

@Music Is Life (10) — "Okay I think I might prefer this to the original. Turning it into a total bop was a good idea. But just to be safe, I'll give both the same score. Maybe. Nah I love this, it's getting a 10. Please don't drag me too much."

@Ana Raquel (10) — "Another contender for my 11, i guess i love these songs who sound like remixes?"

@evilsin (10) — "Heavenly!"

@pop3blow2 (9.5) — "One of my favorite moments on the album, honestly. A funky & creative use of the reprise concept. I actually like this more than Butterfly proper."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "So dreamy. A beautiful use of house music as a template for reverie."

@Blond (9) — "Suspiciously similar to the Daydream Interlude but I'll take it."

@mokitsu (8.75) — "The genesis of this 2-part song as an upbeat dance track is so interesting - don't think I have ever heard of that in the past. Whilst it doesn't quite match the main version, it's still a great song."

@godspeed (8) — "Those house/dance 'reprises' that Mariah used to make are such a treat! I think this one works especially well and gives a totally different feel to 'Butterfly' (the song) and it's further proof that Butterfly (the album) is absolutely masterful, keeping you on your toes and constantly surprising you."

@Veeis (8) — "House excellence, I would love to hear a record from her in the same vein as that track."

@abael (7) — "The need to showcase the whistle has become grating, on what is otherwise one of the better tracks on the album."

@DominoDancing (5.5) — "Unnecessary, outside of the cute hints at Someone Saved My Life Tonight."

@BreatheBox (4.5) — "i think this is one of my least favourite house remix of hers... it's kinda all over the place for me."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (4) — "I am not really a lover of interludes as such like this. The original works just so effortlessly as one of Mariah's all time most touching and alas underrated ballads too. I don't think in this case a house mix was ever needed. Can still happily listen to it though!"

10. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Well.....glad I gave my 11 to a bop since the ballad-hating brigade is out for blood.

11. The raspiness on Mariahs vocals in I Still Believe are so gorgeous.

ysev, londonrain, vague and 1 other person like this.
  12. not my first contender out already...........

my 11 must be next as the second contender will be top 10 at least

vague likes this.
  13. I Still Believe not even in the top 40?!

The fuck y'all?

14. Mariah’s I still believe is great, but the end of the matter is that the only version of this song I’ll ever care about is the Spanish salsa arrangement Brenda did, and that’s why I didn’t rate it any higher than a 7 IIRC.

vague likes this.
  15. I can't get over how beautiful she looks in the video for I Still Believe. Not to mention on the single artwork too:
    [​IMG]

One of my favourites.

16. Didn't know I Still Believe was a single. Huh. Sad to see one of the better Butterfly tracks out. The interludes were done dirty.

vague, ysev and ohaimanabu like this.
  17. The Def "B" Fly version of 'Fly Away' is so much better than the album version.

18. Just When You Believe left from #1's now. This could go either way I think...

vague, londonrain and ohaimanabu like this.
  19. If I would have thought I Still Believe was out this early I probably would have given it a 10 instead of a 9. Honestly I thought I had too many 10s so I was trying to give my scores some scale. It is beautiful and deserved to be in long in my opinion.

20. It really was gone too soon I think. Nice to see it get so much love though.

GimmeWork and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.