The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. @WhatKindOfKylie? handing out 10's like they're going out of fashion! Seriously though I do love I Still Believe, it's no 10/10 though. Glad that my 11/10 is still safe, in fact I think all my 10/10 are safe still.

2. Apologies for the super late start today!

We're cutting a record-breaking #1 single . . .

[​IMG]

All the magic's gone
    There's just a shadow of a memory
    Something just went wrong
    We can't go on make-believing

[​IMG]

"I Don't Wanna Cry"

Score: 7.727
    High scores: 10×9 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @tylerc904, @Sprockrooster, @RUNAWAY, @pop3blow2, @LeBratt, @Remorque, @vague), 9.5×1 (@Robsolete), 9×6 (@GimmeWork, @CasuallyCrazed, @lalaclairi_, @Love Deluxe, @Posh Spears, @RainOnFire)
    Low scores: 4×3 (@Ana Raquel, @godspeed, @BreatheBox), 5×3 (@playboy69, @evilsin, @codecat), 5.5×1 (@Blond)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #36 (tied), 8.6 avg.
    10 ballots: #39, 8.28 avg.
    15 ballots: #40, 8.22 avg.
    20 ballots: #35, 8.165 avg.
    25 ballots: #43, 7.932 avg.
    30 ballots: #41, 7.877 avg.
    35 ballots: #36, 7.88 avg.
    40 ballots: #37, 7.858 avg.
    45 ballots: #44, 7.696 avg.
    50 ballots: #44, 7.681 avg.
    55 ballots: #43, 7.733 avg.
    60 ballots: #43, 7.722 avg.
    61 ballots: #42, 7.727 avg.

"I Don't Wanna Cry" is the fourth single from Mariah's self-titled debut album, and also her fourth consecutive #1 in the US. Its lyrics and music were written by Mariah Carey and Narada Michael Walden and it was arranged and produced solely by Narada Michael Walden. "I Don't Wanna Cry" was released as a single on March 19, 1991, and, at the time of its release, broke a Billboard record, making Mariah the first female artist to have their first four singles reach #1.

Mariah famously dislikes the song (and its video) in part due to not being allowed to co-produce the track by her label. Mariah and Narada Michael Walden often butted heads during the song's creation over production details and, thus, Mariah has stated Narada is one of her least favorite producers to work with. She's also not fond of the final edit of the song's music video due to the label forcing reshoots after the original cut turned out to be "too sexy".

Mariah may hate this (understandably given the circumstances of its creation tbh) but I love it ddd. These dark and brooding ballads are honestly my faves when it comes to Mariah's discography. Plus, every song where she gets to show off her divine lower register like this is A+ in my book. I'm super glad she's started performing this again recently as well; I think the raspier tone she has today really suits this track so well.

@Music Is Life (10) — "I really like the slightly Latin feel of this, which I think is most prominent in the intro. Her vocals really elevate this song."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "A song that alas Mariah doesn't seem keen on. Mostly for behind the scenes tension too. Shame, as this really is such a masterpiece and one of her most hypnotic ballads. If Vision Of Love is the song about finding true love, then I Don't Wanna Cry is easily the song about love going slightly skew shall we say. That final note of 'cry', just gets to me everytime too!"

@tylerc904 (10) — "I used to think this was a lesser Can't Let Go (knowing it came first), but over the last few years I have grown to stan."

@Sprockrooster (10) — "Such a sucker for a latin-esque ballad. With these pristine vocals I am transported to a breezy and sunny island life, while sobbing; the mixed emotions of it all."

@pop3blow2 (10) — "'All the magic's gone there's just a shadow of a memory'. A lyric. Mariah's lower register is actually underrated. Everyone marveled at her dolphin frequency when she came out, but I was fascinated with her lower register. I remember waxing poetic about when I very young & people looking at me like 'what are you going about.'"

@mokitsu (8.5) — "Lush is the only word appropriate to describe this song. Even as a #1 single, I find IDWC to be such an underrated gem. Easily the best song on the album. This very much feels like a pre-cursor to her late 90s/early 00s Spanish-guitar ballad trilogy."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "I love when she uses her lower register - she did that a lot more on Caution and when performing live and it's very lush and thick and gorgeous. This song is amplified by that wonderful thickness to her vocal. I love the melody here too."

@abael (8) — "The moodier setting is a better launch pad for Mariah to work her magic."

@Veeis (8) — "Another gorgeous ballad of debut album."

@Oceandrive (8) — "When googling Mariah Carey I Don't ... the first result is the J.Lo drag, which pretty much sums up how forgotten this song is. The pre chorus kills me every time and her lower register is gorgeous as ever."

@Seventeen Days (7.75) — "Mmm, that subtle Spanish guitar working for me on this track every time. Slow jam classic."

@ohaimanabu (7) — "not one of my favorite singles please don't shame me!"

@Imagineitwasus (6) — "A bit persona-ish, she did so much better afterwards."

@Pinky25 (6) — "I know people are going to be mad but I've never really cared much for this song."

@DominoDancing (6) — "A bit non-descript. I guess I like the bits of acoustic guitar - and Mariah's performance - but melodically this is largely unmemorable."

@godspeed (4) — "I really don't know what is the general consensus on this forum regarding this song, but for me it never clicked. Mariah sounds great on it - obviously! - and it does show a different side of her artistry but I never really enjoyed it. I'm glad it was a number one single, but if you ask me 'Can't Let Go' - among others - was much more deserving of that spot."

@BreatheBox (4) — "boring."

3. And just missing the top 40 is our first b-side to fall . . .

[​IMG]

Let it all fade away
    Don't you know the love is gone, it's too late
    Everything fades away
    Nothing ever stays the same, baby

[​IMG]

"Everything Fades Away"

Score: 7.763
    High scores: 10×7 (@P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @EricG1990, @ohaimanabu, @pop3blow2, @If You Go, @londonrain), 9.75×1 (@vague), 9.5×2 (@RUNAWAY, @LeBratt), 9.4×1 (@BreatheBox), 9.25×1 (@Oleander)
    Low scores: 2.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 4×1 (@Tigerlily), 5×5 (@GimmeWork, @Maria, @Sprockrooster, @Ana Raquel, @Hurricane Drunk)
    My score: 9.75

5 ballots: #8, 9.5 avg.
    10 ballots: #29, 8.59 avg.
    15 ballots: #37, 8.327 avg.
    20 ballots: #40, 7.995 avg.
    25 ballots: #44, 7.856 avg.
    30 ballots: #39, 7.947 avg.
    35 ballots: #45, 7.654 avg.
    40 ballots: #40, 7.823 avg.
    45 ballots: #34, 7.89 avg.
    50 ballots: #35, 7.856 avg.
    55 ballots: #39, 7.828 avg.
    60 ballots: #41, 7.776 avg.
    61 ballots: #41, 7.763 avg.

"Everything Fades Away" is the b-side to "Hero", and was also included as a bonus track on "Music Box" in Europe and Australia. Its lyrics were written by Mariah, and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff.

Well, then. Another gorgeous, moody ballad falls long before it deserves to, but who's surprised? At the same time, there's really only a small handful of tracks left that I'd have liked to see this outlast, so I guess I can't complain too much ddddd. But, still, this is such a beautiful and bittersweet track with immaculate vocals and production, so I'm still gonna mourn for it! I'm litcherally baffled this isn't a part of the standard tracklist for "Music Box" - what a baffling decision, truly. With its extended instrumental outro, this would've made the perfect album closer tbh. But w/e that's what playlists are for, I guess ddd.

@P'NutButter (10) — "I know it's a bit dated, but it is so gorgeous."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "This is just so haunting. Perhaps the most haunting song she's ever done perhaps. Mariah's known all over for all her love songs, but this showcases the much more darker side of love and loss all in one neat package. The highlight (one of many), has to be the 'only fades, only fades, only fades' repetition, as the song draws to a close. Goosebumps."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "Divine and stunning. I'm still baffled by this and DYTOM not making the standard edition of Music Box. Absolutely disrespectful, but at least these songs are there for those willing to explore her catalog."

@pop3blow2 (10) — "Whew! So glad this was included. I had this single & played the crap out of this song back in the day. Possibly a top 10 Mariah song for me. The chorus here is just divine. Could have easily been on Music Box, maybe even as the album closer. The whole song has a PM Dawn-esque quality to it, with all the layers."

@If You Go (10) — "This was nearly my 11. I love this song, it's so gorgeous and should have been on the U.S. edition of Music Box."

@londonrain (10) — "To me this has always been the album closer, since I've never owned a version of this album that doesn't include it. The vocal arrangement is beautiful and I really enjoy her vocals on this, especially when the modulation takes her in and out of minor keys."

@BreatheBox (9.4) — "again, should've closed the album instead of all i've ever wanted."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "This is just grandiose. How it wasn't included in the album is beyond me."

@DominoDancing (9) — "Very pretty, and I love the harmonies on the chorus. Perhaps a bit overlong, but boy the Music Box era really is my favourite."

@Music Is Life (8.75) — "This is a nice enough ballad. Nothing she hasn't already done before, but her skill with songs like this shine anyway, cause it's still really strong. Can see why it didn't make the album though."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "strong enough to have been an album track. Love the verses."

@abael (8) — "Giving her B Sides a bit of space to breathe have been a good choice I think, as both are pretty easy listens and don't feel like time killers as they may as album tracks. Just great, mellow tracks."

@godspeed (8) — "This song is a bonus track on the version of Music Box that I own so it always stood as a very nice finale to me. The atmosphere is very peaceful, the production is subtle putting Mariah's performance at the center of the song. She sounds very vulnerable on the verses - which is kind of the first time we've really heard that from her at this point in her career - and the choir that joins her on the chorus and the bridge adds something bigger and almost religious to the track. This is a beautiful song that could have easily replaced other tracks on Music Box."

we'll cut one single and one album track - both from the same album.

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Mariah Carey"
    (8/11)

01 Vision Of Love
    02 There's Got To Be A Way
    03 I Don't Wanna Cry
    04 Someday
    05 Vanishing
    06 All In Your Mind
    07 Alone In Love
    08 You Need Me
    09 Sent From Up Above
    10 Prisoner
    11 Love Takes Time

[​IMG]
    "Emotions"
    (3/10)

01 Emotions
    02 And You Don't Remember
    03 Can't Let Go
    04 Make It Happen
    05 If It's Over
    06 You're So Cold
    07 So Blessed
    08 To Be Around You
    09 Till The End Of Time
    10 The Wind

[​IMG]
    "MTV Unplugged"
    (1/1)

01 I'll Be There (feat. Trey Lorenz)

[​IMG]
    "Music Box"
    (5/10)

01 Dreamlover
    02 Hero
    03 Anytime You Need A Friend
    04 Music Box
    05 Now That I Know
    06 Never Forget You
    07 Without You
    08 Just To Hold You Once Again
    09 I've Been Thinking About You
    10 All I've Ever Wanted

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas"
    (1/3)

01 All I Want For Christmas Is You
    02 Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
    03 Jesus Born On This Day

[​IMG]
    "Daydream"
    (8/12)

01 Fantasy
    02 Underneath The Stars
    03 One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
    04 Open Arms
    05 Always Be My Baby
    06 I Am Free
    07 When I Saw You
    08 Long Ago
    09 Melt Away
    10 Forever
    11 Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
    12 Looking In

[​IMG]
    "Butterfly"
    (10/12)

01 Honey
    02 Butterfly
    03 My All
    04 The Roof
    05 Fourth Of July
    06 Breakdown (feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
    07 Babydoll
    08 Close My Eyes
    09 Whenever You Call
    10 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
    11 The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
    12 Outside

[​IMG]
    "#1's"
    (1/5)

01 Sweetheart (with JD)
    02 When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
    03 Whenever You Call (with Brian McKnight)
    04 I Still Believe
    05 Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme From Mahogany)

[​IMG]
    "Extras"
    (3/10)

01 Do You Think Of Me
    02 Everything Fades Away
    03 Slipping Away
    04 Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)
    05 Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)
    06 Fantasy (Bad Boy Remix feat. O.D.B.)
    07 Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix feat. Da Brat & Xscape)
    08 Honey (So So Def Mix feat. Da Brat & JD)
    09 My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix feat. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz)
    10 I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix feat. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat)

We're entering the top 40 with each section still represented by at least one track, but we'll be fully cutting at least one section before we reach the top 30.​

5. That Fantasy mix beating I don't Wanna Cry and Everything Fades Away?
    uhhhhhh.gif

6. Yes, because it's one of the best there are.

Lost In Japan., 2014, vague and 3 others like this.
  7. Two absolute moody masterpieces those back to back eliminations. I was very surprised especially to see I Don't Wanna Cry make the top 40. But then again, it looked like it was just clinging on throughout much of the ballots.

vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

With ODB shouting all over it? No, thank you.

Where's #misandryjustice when you need it?

9. I'm pleased it's made it this far, but also kinda bemused 'Long Ago' (which I love too) has outlasted it?! Stunning song!

10. I am surprised Don't Wanna Cry is out so early! It's not my least fav of her #1s (TGIFY or I'll Be There probably) so I thought it would stick around longer.

I am not however surprised Fantasy remix is doing so well. While I don't prefer it over the album version, any version of that song is a 10 in my book. Also the enduring popularity of the remix now and when I was little makes it hard not to get nostalgic even though ODBs flow isn't my favorite....

.......However we had BETTER be rating the Missy/DeBrat remix of Heartbreaker in Pt 2 because that is even more ESSENTIAL to me!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

soratami, vague, ohaimanabu and 4 others like this.
  11. WHAT THE FUCK at I Don't Wanna Cry being gone? You all suck. It's gorgeous and should be top 20. Fly Away is gone too soon as well, but I wasn't expecting it to last that long.

Sprockrooster, Aester, vague and 3 others like this.
  12. Maybe it suffered from never being released as a single in most territories outside the US and not being included on the UK version of #1s.

It was a hard song to rate because I love listening to it when it comes on but I’m not reaching for the play button. Anyway surprised it went before Sent From Up Above or There’s Got To Be A Way

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  13. It fell just shy of one of those, which we’ll be cutting right now . . .

[​IMG]

Some of us don't even wonder
    Some of us don't even care
    Couldn't we accept each other
    Can't we make ourselves aware

[​IMG]

"There's Got To Be A Way"

Score: 7.795
    High scores: 10×8 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @EricG1990, @tylerc904, @Daniel_O, @LeBratt, @Remorque, @Island), 9.5×2 (@Robsolete, @nikkysan), 9×8 (@Maria, @AdzBrown, @JamesJupiter, @Sprockrooster, @RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life, @Love Deluxe, @Sail On)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@Aester), 4×1 (@If You Go), 5×1 (@godspeed)
    My score: 7.75

5 ballots: #38 (tied), 8.55 avg.
    10 ballots: #52 (tied), 7.675 avg.
    15 ballots: #43, 8.117 avg.
    20 ballots: #32, 8.288 avg.
    25 ballots: #38, 8.11 avg.
    30 ballots: #37, 8.058 avg.
    35 ballots: #33, 7.936 avg.
    40 ballots: #43, 7.719 avg.
    45 ballots: #43, 7.714 avg.
    50 ballots: #42, 7.74 avg.
    55 ballots: #40, 7.8 avg.
    60 ballots: #39, 7.825 avg.
    61 ballots: #40, 7.795 avg.

"There's Got To Be A Way" is the second track from Mariah's self-titled album. Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah, its music was written by Mariah and Ric Wake, it was produced by Ric Wake and Narada Michael Walden, and it was remixed by Shep Pettibone for its single release. "There's Got To Be A Way" was released as the album's fourth and final single in the UK in place of "I Don't Wanna Cry", where it peaked at #54 and sold roughly 15,000 physical copies in total.

Look, I get that these lyrics are just as relevant today as they were in 1990 - if not more so, sadly - but, aurally, this is the equivalent of a big slab of Velveeta for me. This is probably my least favorite from the debut in terms of melody etc. I don’t think it’s awful by any means, though, just not as catchy or interesting as the rest of the album. Still, I do think the single mix is a bit of an improvement over the album mix. Shame it’s not available to buy or stream. Mariah, get the rest of your remix catalogue on streaming services challenge. Do that challenge.

@Music Is Life (10) — "This up-beat mid-tempo has slightly cheesy lyrics, but I love it. In fact the lyrics are not nearly as bad as they could be, and the whole song is uplifting, which I'm sure was the point."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "I'm so glad that us lucky peeps here in the UK, got this uplifting gem as a single! Even if alas it did next to nothing on the charts. The fact even on only debut album Mariah felt brave enough to tackle issues such as this, shows what confidence and sprit she really had from word go. Deserves a 10 for not only being a great song with a superb message, but for easily having the ultimate whistle note of Mariah Carey's career!"

@tylerc904 (10) — "A bop with sadly current sentiment. Always a socially conscious queen."

@nikkysan (9.5) — "This being slated by critics for being 'too political' is so fucking stupid. Who else is in more position to speak about racism and social injustice than a biracial woman who experienced so much prejudice for being mixed race?"

@pop3blow2 (8.5) — "So frantically of its era. Sonically conscious pop-bop. Change the world, Mimi. Always reminded me a tv show theme song from the era. Not sure if that's good or bad."

@DominoDancing (8.5) — "Lovely pop song, strong chorus, good use of the gospel elements."

@BreatheBox (8.4) — "never understood why it is kinda hated by the lambs it's a cute track with great vocals!"

@mokitsu (8.1) — "I like how There's Got To Be A Way contrasts with Vision of Love. Where VOL is very vocally driven, TGTBAW is lyrically driven. This is one of the great protest songs for me - it deserves much more recognition."

@ohaimanabu (8) — "It's a little corny in both lyrics and production, but an early example of Mariah's strong songwriting prowess. And THAT whistle!"

@londonrain (8) — "We stan a flop UK single that gives us more social commentary than the rest of the artist's discography combined."

@japanbonustrack (7.5) — "It has a nice vibe, sounds quite dated but that adds to the charm of the song."

@lalaclairi_ (7.5) — "Nice and wholesome but a bit dated."

@Seventeen Days (7.25) — "A bit 'generic early 90s R&B' to really stand out, but still an enjoyable track."

@bonnieetclyde (7) — "great vocals from Mariah, as always, but the song sounds like a Michael Jackson leftover."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "So uplifting but so of its time. Knowing it's the only political song of her career, I can't help but think this was a label obligation."

@abael (7) — "It's sorta unfair, this song is basic but early Mariah could be singing about franking credits and I would be here shaking my head silently mouthing 'wow'."

@Veeis (6.5) — "Uplifting, nice song but I never was a big fan of it."

@Jimmyandroid (6) — "If only this song had been better, would we have got more socially conscious Mariah?"

@Oceandrive (6) — "It gives me what Janet would've done if she had the range."

@godspeed (5) — "I don't really enjoy this one. The gospel choir at the end is however a nice element and helps elevate the song a bit in my opinion."

@If You Go (4) — "The verses are actually pretty good, but the chorus drags it down. I know the intention is good, but these type of songs always make me roll my eyes a bit."

14. I can't believe after overrating the debut album y'all have managed to push out two of the best songs first.

15. Certainly doing very well! I thought it would be out alot earlier.

ohaimanabu, vague and londonrain like this.
  16. Hero still being here while we’ve kicked much better singles and it’s vastly superior b-side is really starting to annoy me.

Aester, RUNAWAY, If You Go and 4 others like this.
  17. And the second track from the debut album to fall today is . . .

[​IMG]

Your silence
    Whispering misunderstandings
    There's so much you need to realize
    You'll feel my emotions if you look in my eyes

[​IMG]

"All In Your Mind"

Score: 7.806
    High scores: 10×8 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @EricG1990, @tylerc904, @ohaimanabu, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @lalaclairi_, @LeBratt), 9.5×2 (@CasuallyCrazed, @Oleander), 9×7 (@Jimmyandroid, @Imagineitwasus, @Tigerlily, @JamesJupiter, @evilsin, @DominoDancing, @Island)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@playboy69), 5×3 (@If You Go, @londonrain, @PayMe), 6×5 (@ysev, @Mushroom, @Veeis, @Sail On, @Oceandrive)
    My score: 8.5

5 ballots: #57 (tied), 7.5 avg.
    10 ballots: #60 (tied), 7.45 avg.
    15 ballots: #47, 8 avg.
    20 ballots: #38, 8.125 avg.
    25 ballots: #31, 8.22 avg.
    30 ballots: #35, 8.113 avg.
    35 ballots: #30, 8.126 avg.
    40 ballots: #33, 7.948 avg.
    45 ballots: #33, 7.903 avg.
    50 ballots: #39, 7.833 avg.
    55 ballots: #37, 7.857 avg.
    60 ballots: #38, 7.836 avg.
    61 ballots: #39, 7.806 avg.

"All In Your Mind" is the sixth track from Mariah's self-titled debut album. Its lyrics and music were written by Mariah and Ben Margulies; it was arranged by Mariah, Ben Margulies, and Chris Toland; and it was produced by Ben Margulies and Ric Wake.

While I still love this, it's always felt a bit slapdash to me. The verses are kind of pensive and moody and then that chorus melody feels... borderline cheesy? idgi. Still, that doesn't detract any points for me, and the vocals here are stellar throughout - especially those whistles - so it's a winner overall.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "The first most true foray into R&B of the debut, and once again a vocal showcase with those final repeated whistle notes being the highlight of it all. Class all round and I love that early video of her singing it accapella so much!"

@tylerc904 (10) — "My favorite album cut from the debut (yes, more than Prisoner SHOCKIIIIINGLY). When she goes into those whistle notes at the end I'm sent."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "This song is perfect, dated production and all. One of my all time favorite Mariah finales ever. The hummingbird-esque notes at the end, whew! WIG."

@Pinky25 (10) — "This is easily my favorite song on her first CD."

@Jimmyandroid (9) — "I was once mugged whilst listening to this song. He stole my CD Walkman from me; I asked if I could keep the CD." (omg did he let you keep it??)

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "Those trills are iconic. Coloratura come through."

@evilsin (9) — "The whistle notes at the end always kill me."

@DominoDancing (9) — "Fantastic melody. My favourite song on the album, surprised this didn't become a single. The production though, especially that bass sound... very 'of its time'."

@Music Is Life (8.5) — "Another mid-tempo, that has some really great production, and vocals. The chorus is the highlight of the song. The notes at the end though... wig."

@pop3blow2 (8.4) — "I aways thought there were bunch of good bits in this song, but it just never all seems together."

@abael (8) — "I'm glad Mariah didn't wait around on releasing her debut album, as this synth based blessing may not have made it otherwise."

@Seventeen Days (7.5) — "That super 80s synth bass, tho. I'm definitely feeling this one."

@bonnieetclyde (7) — "I wish the chorus was stronger. It's a bit weak compared to the verses. It never really seems to get to where it should."

@godspeed (7) — "Deliciously early-90s, in the best way possible. (and that whistle tone on the outro...)"

@Veeis (6) — "It's just there for me, not a big fan of it."

@If You Go (5) — "I always think I like this song more than I do, I think it's the overuse of her whistle register that drags it down for me."

@londonrain (5) — "What the fuck is that percussion in the intro? Someone assaulting a dustbin lid? Also, this is almost certainly the only song where Mariah's whistle register actually misses the note a few times."

we're losing another 11.

18. -_- cmon y’all

vague likes this.
  19. There's definitely a few songs which should have gone first, but I can't say I am mad about this one leaving.
    That SNL behind the scenes video is definitely the best thing about the song.

londonrain and vague like this.
  20. Who else attempts to mimic that 'All In Your Mind' whistle run?!

'There's Got To Be A Way' is one of her most dated tracks, at least musically. These days I tend to listen to the 12" alt version.

ohaimanabu, vague and Pinky25 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.