The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. I do recall Mariah saying once she wanted Missy Elliot to add some vocals to a 'Babydoll' remix, but that obviously fell through. I guess we got the 'Heartbreaker' remix as a consolation?

Music Is Death, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  2. Interesting to know, I wonder if it was meant to be a single in the intial stages then?

vague likes this.
  3. apologies, but no results today! it’s been raining heavily here all day and my internet won’t stay connected. sorry!!

any guesses/hopes for what’s going out next?

4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

With Babydoll gone, Long Ago must be in danger now...

vague and P'NutButter like this.
  5. Hoping Butterfly takes some more hits, Guessing it'll be Daydream instead.

vague likes this.
  6. Don't worry, since we've officially entered the stage in the rate where any update causes a mild heart attack and a nice hand full of fear that my 11 might get touched.

Hopes? #LeaveButterflyAndDaydreamAlone for the next couple of cuts*

*me jinxing it again, am I?!

7. We'll finally reach an 8 average with this next cut . . .

It's another of Mariah's b-sides . . .

[​IMG]

I picture you embracing me
    We drift away and leave the world behind, baby
    But it's only make-believe
    Love can be so unkind

[​IMG]

"Do You Think Of Me"

Score: 8.007
    High scores: 10×8 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @ohaimanabu, @soratami, @If You Go, @PayMe, @Veeis), 9.75×1 (@Love Deluxe), 9.5×1 (@nikkysan), 9.3×1 (@Womanizer)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 4×1 (@playboy69), 5×1 (@Cowboystyle)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: #53, 7.8 avg.
    10 ballots: #44, 8.03 avg.
    15 ballots: #42, 8.153 avg.
    20 ballots: #33, 8.215 avg.
    25 ballots: #26, 8.332 avg.
    30 ballots: #29, 8.22 avg.
    35 ballots: #34, 7.903 avg.
    40 ballots: #32, 7.978 avg.
    45 ballots: #31, 8.026 avg.
    50 ballots: #31, 8.003 avg.
    55 ballots: #32, 8.007 avg.
    60 ballots: #33, 7.99 avg.
    61 ballots: #32, 8.007 avg.

"Do You Think Of Me" is the b-side to "Dreamlover", the lead single from Mariah's third studio album "Music Box". It was written, composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah, Cory Rooney, Mark Morales, and Walter Afanasieff.

It truly pains me that this isn't widely available, as this is a clear highlight of her discography. I hope with her thirtieth anniversary coming up next year, we'll start getting expanded reissues of her albums with her b-sides and all the various radio edits/remixes as bonus tracks - or at the very least she'll put then up on streaming sites. This song deserves to be a fan fave. That little trumpet motif that starts at 2:56 or so and then runs sporadically throughout the rest of song is genius and so catchy; it's one of my fave little production flourishes in her discography.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "One of my personal top 10 Mariah Carey favourites, and a song can just never ever tire of! Being the B-Side to a song like Dreamlover which is so happy and full of love is rather interesting and a choice that works rather well, as Do You Think Of Me with its tale of love gone wrong and yet moving on confidently and not looking back, fits so nicely alongside it in compassion. To say that is empowering, would be a huge understatement."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "I still remember having to pick my jaw up after discovering this song for the first time."

@Veeis (10) — "Oh god, it's so great. It should find a place on Music Box, I have no idea who decided to relegate it onto b-side."

@nikkysan (9.5) — "Still remember buying the Dreamlover CD single off E-bay during the peak of my Mariah obsession and being blown away by hearing this for the first time. I really wonder why this got left off Music Box compared to some of the songs that did make the album?"

@Music Is Life (9) — "Why isn't this on the album? I love it, especially the production, which is just perfect, and her vocals take it to the highs that makes it deserve album track status at least."

@Sprockrooster (9) — "Honestly. WHAT THE FUCK. How have I never checked her b-sides. This is such an instant discovery. That chorus 'conversation'-style is such a good suit for her vocal range, without sounding silly."

@abael (9) — "This is just the perfect mix of relaxed production and vocal power that let both shine well in equal measure. Much better than its A Side."

@londonrain (9) — "I don't listen to this anywhere near as much as I should. So underrated."

@tylerc904 (8.5) — "A KILLER b-side, though I'm not sure it's that much stronger than most of what made the album. I'd say it deserved status over both Just To Hold You and I've Been Thinking About You."

@godspeed (8.5) — "Ok, I don't want to be that kind of a fan but WHY WASN'T THIS INCLUDED ON MUSIC BOX? 'Slipping Away' not being on Daydream, I can kinda understand because that album is extremely strong the way it is, but Music Box is another story. 'Do You Think Of Me' is so atmospheric, there's a cinematic quality about it but also a certain sensuality. Mariah sounds beautiful without never doing too much. If we're being honest, the verses are not that great but the chorus is stunning and almost catchy in a way - it definitely makes you wanna sing along. And when this little trumpet comes in during the middle eight, the song just hits another level of greatness! So on an album that, without being bad, is truly lackluster, this is such a weird decision to not include this sublime song."

@pop3blow2 (8.3) — "I sorta forgot about this one, in her discog. It's not horrible, but the right choice was made making this a b-side."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "this was strong enough to be an album track. Love the layered whispery vocals on the chorus."

@DominoDancing (8) — "Lovely mid-tempo with a very catchy hook. I believe this could truely have taken the place of one or two of the lesser cuts on Music Box."

@Tigerlily (8) — "Better than most of the songs on the actual album."

@BreatheBox (7.8) — "should've been included on the main album instead of just to hold you once again."

@Seventeen Days (7.75) — "Of course one of the best tracks of the Music Box era was a B-side. I really like this one."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "This feels like a pré-Daydream track, but it's not quite there yet."

@japanbonustrack (6.5) — "Yes and yes!"

8. solid 8, deserved top 30

Aester, londonrain and vague like this.
  9. I love it and really don’t understand why it wasn’t included on Music Box. It should have made it over at least two of the tracks.

10. Unfortunately, you're right . . .

[​IMG]

You told me pretty lies
    As I held on to you tight
    You knew how to get your way
    Ignorance was bliss in your warm embrace

[​IMG]

"Long Ago"

Score: 8.019
    High scores: 10×7 (@Music Is Life, @The Hot Rock, @Tigerlily, @Ana Raquel, @RUNAWAY, @Love Deluxe, @vague), 9.5×2 (@Daniel_O, @LeBratt), 9×11 (@GimmeWork, @EricG1990, @Maria, @ohaimanabu, @Pinky25, @nikkysan, @pop3blow2, @Hurricane Drunk, @BEST FICTION, @BreatheBox, @Lost In Japan.)
    Low scores: 2.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 5×1 (@londonrain), 5.5×1 (@Aester)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #36 (tied), 8.6 avg.
    10 ballots: #27, 8.64 avg.
    15 ballots: #30, 8.527 avg.
    20 ballots: #24, 8.62 avg.
    25 ballots: #22, 8.576 avg.
    30 ballots: #22, 8.447 avg.
    35 ballots: #26, 8.183 avg.
    40 ballots: #29, 8.035 avg.
    45 ballots: #29, 8.064 avg.
    50 ballots: #29, 8.083 avg.
    55 ballots: #29, 8.085 avg.
    60 ballots: #31, 8.011 avg.
    61 ballots: #31, 8.019 avg.

"Long Ago" is the eighth track from Mariah's fifth studio album "Daydream". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah, Jermaine Dupri, and Manuel Seal.

After flirting with R&B and hip-hop influences a bit earlier in her career, this has always felt like a huge step forward in the direction Mariah wanted to take her music. I've always thought of this as a sort of prequel to "The Roof", both in terms of their sonic landscapes and their respective subject matters, so it's no surprise they're both two of my top, top faves from Mariah. This was a real contender for my 11, but ultimately fell just short of being my all-time fave from this era of Mariah's career.

@Music Is Life (10) — "Another song thick with R&B flavor, this sound just suits her so perfectly. I love the lyrics, her kiss-off songs are always so good. Her vocals really shine on this, and the production supports her perfectly."

@The Hot Rock (10) — "A trip hop song on a Mariah album? This discog keeps giving."

@Ana Raquel (10) — "FINALLY A song I can properly enjoy."

@ohaimanabu (9) — "Another bop!"

@nikkysan (9) — "Mariah going trip-hop? A thousand times yes."

@pop3blow2 (9) — "This was such a fresh sounding Mariah track at the time & still sounds so good. Would've been a brave single."

@BreatheBox (9) — "the 'so long ago, so long ago' background vocals are really good."

@godspeed (8.5) — "One thing I love so much about Mariah is her ability to infuse hip hop into her songs in a way not many other R&B and pop artists can. 'Long Ago' is one of the first time she really went for a hip hop sound and in a very straightforward way, to the point that I always expect a rapper to pop up at some point in the song (a remix of this track a la 'Heartbreaker' would have been perfect). 'Long Ago' is such an exquisite and quite raw song in my opinion, Jermaine Dupri, Manuel Seal and Mariah made such a great job on the production: it's a simple and raw beat with an underground influence to it, yet it compliments Mariah's sweet vocals and songwriting perfectly."

@Oceandrive (8.5) — "Sonically this stands out as fresh production which really plays to her strengths as an artist who was slowly being emancipated and able to incorporate sounds that you believe the artist to be, rather than just piano led ballads. Underrated."

@Seventeen Days (8.25) — "Mariah goes neo soul. This one took a long time to grow on me, and now it's one of my favorites on the album."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (8) — "The most Urban song on the album by far, and a classic Mariah 90's jam! They really should have had this at least a R&B single release, it would have done so well on the charts there I think. She sounds so chilled and laid back on it too with yet another flawless vocal delivery."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "the album could have used more up-tempos like this one. It's a nice breath of fresh air after a string of uninspired ballads."

@evilsin (8) — "Love the moody vibe provided by that ominous sounding bass."

@DominoDancing (8) — "Unusually moody beat for Mariah, I quite like it."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "Nice taste of things to come."

@Veeis (6.5) — "It's fine but I would pass this track from the tracklist, it just sounds weird in context of the whole album."

@abael (6) — "This album seems to have a weaker middle than previous albums."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Mariah Carey"
    (5/11)

01 Vision Of Love
    02 There's Got To Be A Way
    03 I Don't Wanna Cry
    04 Someday
    05 Vanishing
    06 All In Your Mind
    07 Alone In Love
    08 You Need Me
    09 Sent From Up Above
    10 Prisoner
    11 Love Takes Time

[​IMG]
    "Emotions"
    (3/10)

01 Emotions
    02 And You Don't Remember
    03 Can't Let Go
    04 Make It Happen
    05 If It's Over
    06 You're So Cold
    07 So Blessed
    08 To Be Around You
    09 Till The End Of Time
    10 The Wind

[​IMG]
    "MTV Unplugged"
    (0/1)

01 I'll Be There (feat. Trey Lorenz)

[​IMG]
    "Music Box"
    (3/10)

01 Dreamlover
    02 Hero
    03 Anytime You Need A Friend
    04 Music Box
    05 Now That I Know
    06 Never Forget You
    07 Without You
    08 Just To Hold You Once Again
    09 I've Been Thinking About You
    10 All I've Ever Wanted

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas"
    (1/3)

01 All I Want For Christmas Is You
    02 Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
    03 Jesus Born On This Day

[​IMG]
    "Daydream"
    (7/12)

01 Fantasy
    02 Underneath The Stars
    03 One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
    04 Open Arms
    05 Always Be My Baby
    06 I Am Free
    07 When I Saw You
    08 Long Ago
    09 Melt Away
    10 Forever
    11 Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
    12 Looking In

[​IMG]
    "Butterfly"
    (8/12)

01 Honey
    02 Butterfly
    03 My All
    04 The Roof
    05 Fourth Of July
    06 Breakdown (feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
    07 Babydoll
    08 Close My Eyes
    09 Whenever You Call
    10 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
    11 The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
    12 Outside

[​IMG]
    "#1's"
    (1/5)

01 Sweetheart (with JD)
    02 When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
    03 Whenever You Call (with Brian McKnight)
    04 I Still Believe
    05 Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme From Mahogany)

[​IMG]
    "Extras"
    (2/10)

01 Do You Think Of Me
    02 Everything Fades Away
    03 Slipping Away
    04 Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)
    05 Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Mix)
    06 Fantasy (Bad Boy Remix feat. O.D.B.)
    07 Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Mix feat. Da Brat & Xscape)
    08 Honey (So So Def Mix feat. Da Brat & JD)
    09 My All / Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix feat. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz)
    10 I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Reemix feat. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  12. Looking at that re-cap has eased my nerves a little bit, I still think the debut has a few too many songs left in though. Dreamlover can go too.

vague likes this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Hasn’t All In Your Mind gone already?

ohaimanabu, vague and Butterfly like this.
  14. Sadly!

15. dhandbwn yes, it has. I stepped out right after I posted so I'll fix it when I get home. ty for bringing it to my attention!

16. The majority of Butterfly, Daydream, and Slipping Away still being in the ranks at least makes a lot of the early game messery admissable. Lol

17. Do You Think Of Me, is just magical. I still get goosebumps from it each and every time I listen to it.

vague, Aester and londonrain like this.
  18. I think the sound would have sat well on her first album but not Music Box

vague likes this.
  19. Only just joining this thread. Hero gone already??‽!!

vague likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.