The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Spot on. This remix was so key to the evolution of Mariah's career and sowed the seeds for Butterfly and beyond. That alone should have seen this go way higher I think.

ohaimanabu, vague and P'NutButter like this.
  2. Screaming! Not our good sis @londonrain acting like a fair gatekeeper of the rate only to kill off the Fantasy remix with a ...0.

Haha!

3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I’ve known this remix for 24 years and have hated it for all 24 of those years. What can I say?

(Nothing from her actual albums got less than a 4 from me, and the Always Be My Baby remix got a 10.)

4. This rate really gets more hard to predict with each and every elimination!

vague and londonrain like this.
  5. Thank fuck the Fantasy Remix is out, I hate it.

The original is one of her best ever bops and that's mainly down to the incredible chorus. So for the remix to remove it? Fuck off.

Music Is Death and londonrain like this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Where was the zero it deserved, then?

vague and Robsolete like this.
  7. I didn't want to get dragged too much ddd.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

With what everyone else has been doing to Mimi’s ballads, I don’t think anyone is any position to criticise you for giving this the zero it deserved.

[​IMG]

9. If I'd realised the trash scores that some people would be giving out, I'd have been harsher.

10. I'm pretty sure this was posted previously but there's actually a version of the remix which includes the chorus.

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Sure, but
    and the version listed for that remix was the one that strips out the chorus, so that’s the one I rated.

12. Apologies for the delayed start today; I've been luxuriating and listening to "Norman Fucking Rockwell!" since I got home ddd.

But let's get started. Our first cut today is another single . . .

[​IMG]

And if you should remember
    That we belong together
    Never be ashamed, call my name
    Tell me I'm the one you treasure forever

[​IMG]

"Forever"

Score: 8.298
    High scores: 10×16 (@P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @GimmeWork, @tylerc904, @ohaimanabu, @JamesJupiter, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @pop3blow2, @japanbonustrack, @londonrain, @Aester, @PayMe, @Posh Spears, @Island, @Oceandrive), 9.5×2 (@Oleander, @RainOnFire), 9.25×1 (@Love Deluxe), 9.2×1 (@Womanizer)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@Ana Raquel), 5×1 (@Tigerlily), 6×2 (@soratami, @nikkysan)
    My score: 8.5

5 ballots: #18 (tied), 9.1 avg.
    10 ballots: #19, 8.92 avg.
    15 ballots: #27, 8.613 avg.
    20 ballots: #29, 8.51 avg.
    25 ballots: #30, 8.248 avg.
    30 ballots: #33, 8.173 avg.
    35 ballots: #29, 8.134 avg.
    40 ballots: #28, 8.23 avg.
    45 ballots: #27, 8.221 avg.
    50 ballots: #28, 8.233 avg.
    55 ballots: #27, 8.212 avg.
    60 ballots: #26 (tied), 8.269 avg.
    61 ballots: #26, 8.298 avg.

"Forever" is the teth track from Mariah's fifth studio album, "Daydream". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff. "Forever" was released as an airplay-only single in the US on March 10, 1996, and also received limited physical releases in Australia and parts of Europe.

Since "Forever" didn't receive a physical release in the US, it was ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, but still managed to chart at #2 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart and also at #9 on their Radio Songs chart. It also charted at #11 in Canada (and reached #2 on their Adult Contemporary chart), #40 in New Zealand, #47 in the Netherlands, and #77 in Australia, and has sold just over 5,000 physical copies in total. The song's music video was shot at Tokyo Dome during Mariah's Daydream World Tour in 1996, and the live audio used in the video was released as the single's b-side.

I spent years thinking this was another of Mariah's covers, and it was only embarrassingly recently that I discovered that it's actually an original song ddd. To be fair to myself, though, I don't actually listen to this - or even think of it - all that often. It's a perfectly lovely song that I thoroughly enjoy when I do listen to it, but I tend to forget it exists when I'm not listening.

@P'NutButter (10) — "I always think of Mariah in the big floaty navy dress when I listen to this. Should've been huge!"

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Retro Mariah, serves up this sweet and unashamedly so too, 50's/60's pastiche. One that doesn't come across forced or trying too hard either. When I listen to this, I think of Mariah ruling the world, this really was a time when she could do no wrong. Lovely song, and a proud Lamb Forever too!"

@tylerc904 (10) — "Got an old school vibe (with the do-wops). Absolutely gorgeous melody here."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "Timeless, and man I adore the bridge where we first hear her say 'We belong together'!"

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this is honestly in my all time top ten of Mariah. it's such a gorgeous beautiful melodic #moment of wistful nostalgia~"

@pop3blow2 (10) — "I just love this song. I always felt it slightly out of place on this record, but I sort of love it more for that reason. Such an odd release of a single, too. Very 60's sounding. A big doo-wop production meets Dusty Springfield. I love the way she sings the word 'Forever' on the chorus. Just the most undeniable singer of her generation. For me, this is a top 10 Mariah."

@japanbonustrack (10) — "The Daydream Tour was out of this world."

@londonrain (10) — "I remember this video so vividly! The basic piano arpeggios really push her voice front and centre, and she's absolutely soaring on the high notes here. 'TELL ME I'M THE ONE YOU TREASURE... FOOOOOREVEEEEEER...'"

@Posh Spears (10) — "Literally such a perfect song help."

@Oceandrive (10) — "I know the comparison is tired at this point but you cannot listen to this song and refute that Mariah wasn't the biggest vocal inspiration to a certain Ariana. The similarities even down to phrasing here are striking. The climax was made for a big movie moment."

@Womanizer (9.2) — "One of her last big schmaltzy numbers, but what a good one."

@Music Is Life (9) — "Another great ballad, her voice really soars on this one, especially during the chorus. I love the middle-8."

@Jimmyandroid (9) — "The 50s vibe is gorgeous."

@If You Go (9) — "I like this song a little less than I used to, but it's still an amazing song in her catalogue it's a shame she doesn't like it!"

@Seventeen Days (9) — "That intro with the guitar and strings makes this sound like a 50s rock song, then it slides right back into modern ballad. Queen of style versatility!"

@bonnieetclyde (8.5) — "nice strings. Lovely melody, somewhat reminiscent to Can't Take That Away in the verses."

@godspeed (8) — "I've had to check Wikipedia a few times because I could have sworn this one was one of Mariah's biggest hits in Ireland because I remember hearing it often when I was younger. Yet, it never charted in my country. Weird. Anyway, this is another anthemic Mariah Carey song and although I don't listen to it often, I will never grow tired of it and that glorious chorus."

@Veeis (7.5) — "It acts fine as the nice album track."

@Imagineitwasus (7) — "Cute throwback and impressive vocals."

@abael (7) — "Definitely an upswing compared to it's preceding tracks, still, not a hit."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Generic Doo-Wop, as cute as it is."

@nikkysan (6) — "Cute-ish but it bothers me on why this was put in the back of the album, it feels really out of place."

13. God i love that song!

GimmeWork, Aester, If You Go and 3 others like this.
  14. With our last cut today, one more person will lose their 11 . . .

[​IMG]

Funny how one can learn
    To grow numb to the madness and block it away
    I left the worst unsaid
    Let it all dissipate and I try to forget

[​IMG]

"Close My Eyes"

Score: 8.306
    High scores: 11×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 10×10 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @EricG1990, @ohaimanabu, @japanbonustrack, @lalaclairi_, @evilsin, @Seventeen Days), 9.5×5 (@tylerc904, @nikkysan, @ysev, @Love Deluxe, @LeBratt), 9.25×1 (@mokitsu)
    Low scores: 4×2 (@Daniel_O, @abael), 5.5×1 (@Aester), 6×3 (@Cowboystyle, @DominoDancing, @Veeis)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: #6 (tied), 9.6 avg.
    10 ballots: #14, 9.07 avg.
    15 ballots: #17, 9.013 avg.
    20 ballots: #21, 8.71 avg.
    25 ballots: #25, 8.348 avg.
    30 ballots: #26, 8.333 avg.
    35 ballots: #20, 8.5 avg.
    40 ballots: #22, 8.363 avg.
    45 ballots: #21, 8.398 avg.
    50 ballots: #22, 8.373 avg.
    55 ballots: #24, 8.312 avg.
    60 ballots: #24, 8.303 avg.
    61 ballots: #25, 8.306 avg.

"Close My Eyes" is the eighth track from Mariah's sixth studio album, "Butterfly". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff.

Shortly after Mariah began work on the "Butterfly" album in early 1997, she and her then-husband (and the head of her record label) Tommy Mottola separated. Their separation and Mariah's newfound freedom fueled the subject matter for several of the tracks that would ultimately make the album's final tracklisting - including "Close My Eyes". Mariah had been working on the track on-and-off for four years before she was finally able to complete it during the "Butterfly" recording sessions; in a May 2012 Facebook post, she wrote, "I spent four years writing this song, only because after I performed in Schenectady, NY, I started hearing this melody and singing it over and over to myself as I was taking a bath, looking at the moon... Four years later, as I was leaving a devastating part of my life behind, I wrote the second verse, the bridge, and the outro".

On September 7, 2012, Mariah received the BMI Icon Award for her songwriting, and in an interview with CNN before the ceremony, she stated that "Close My Eyes" was one of her favorite tracks she had written: "I love the obscure songs, because they're very close to my heart, especially a song called 'Close My Eyes'. That's, like, my life story." Mariah also opted to include the track on the 2012 compilation album "The Essential Mariah Carey", despite never releasing it as a single.

Despite its heavy subject matter, this is such an airy, sweet-sounding song to me. I feel like that sort of light melody/darker lyric juxtaposition colors a lot of Mariah's ballads - and even some of her bops lbr - and is one of the things I love most about her work. Despite her fae and wealth, Mariah has clearly had a tough life and those hard experiences seep into the work she does so often. The fact she's pushed through all the shit she's been through and keeps putting out immaculate music... god it just makes me appreciate the artists she is that much more.

@CasuallyCrazed (11) — "I used to play this song on repeat in middle school and it made me escape to a different world. Its both simultaneously understated and emotionally charged, and probably one of her best written songs of all time."

@Music Is Life (10) — "Okay this might be my favorite ballad on here. I love the melody, especially on the chorus and the 'dadada's' are gorgeous."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Just Close Your Eyes, and take in every single minute of this 4:22 gem, delight, whatever! What I do know for sure, that it's absolutely breathtaking, and is almost like a lullaby in the same way that Music Box was for the album of the same name. 'The la-la-dah' chorus may not be much, but speaks so much on so many levels."

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "Understated perfection with excellent lyrics."

@evilsin (10) — "What a light and gentle track! The melodies are heavenly here, especially the 'ladadada' bit that lingers with you. I feel so elevated listening to this. Pure bliss."

@Seventeen Days (10) — "It's not hard to see why Mariah has cited this as one of her most favorite songs. The lyrics are deeply personal, and Mariah gives a very vulnerable but beautiful vocal performance. I'm not sure why I paid this track dust back in the day, as it's really quite gorgeous."

@mokitsu (9.25) — "I find this to be underrated solely because it's mid-album and not near the end like the rest of her most confessional tracks. Beautiful."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "This one flows beautifully and is a poignant slice of autobiography."

@godspeed (9) — "This is a truly beautiful and very personal song and - as anyone would, really - I love when Mariah gets deep and reflective. It's in those moments where she feels the more human and the more vulnerable and that she really shines as a singer and a songwriter. 'Looking In,' 'Petals' and 'Outside' might be her deeply-personal-and-vulnerable songs that 'wow' me the most but 'Close My Eyes' is really lovely and touching and those 'la-da-da-da''s are one of the many highlights of Butterfly."

@pop3blow2 (8.8) — "The lyrics on this album are as introspective as Mariah had been for a whole album up to this point. It's an interesting album on that level. This is a pretty song all the way around, though."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "love those finger snaps. Her voice really is like honey on this one."

@DominoDancing (6) — "The harmonies are lovely as so often, but this just doesn't leave much of a mark."

@Veeis (6) — "I have such love/hate relationship with that one, at this moment I'm quite ambivalent towards it."

@abael (4) — "The mastering on the album seems to favour the instrumentation to Mariah, which would be odd (especially for Mariah), but understandable, except that the production is its most nondescript it's ever been. Strange choices."

15. Ohh, those both hurt a lot.

16. I knew this was coming... I really thought most of the recent eliminations would end up in the top 10 - which, I suppose, will be single heavy. not that it is a bad thing, once again it's a Mariah Carey rate so the quality of the music and songwriting we're dealing with is unbelievable.

vague, nikkysan and londonrain like this.
  17. "Close My Eyes" is pure ethereal blessing for the ears. Transfix me and transport me to another world, queen.

18. I knew Close My Eyes wasn’t long for this rate once the other midtempos off Butterfly started dropping.

ohaimanabu, vague and londonrain like this.
  19. Close Your Eyes initially being so close to the top 5, is something of comfort for me.

20. I’ve enjoyed catching up on the rate last night and this morning, which has inspired me to listen to more Mariah as I do so.

I’ve been learning a lot too, especially as a newer fan. I knew Mariah co-wrote her songs but I didn’t realise just how many she wrote alone. Her talent.

pop3blow2, RUNAWAY, yuuurei and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.