The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. What a classic. It's definitely in my top 10 Mariah tracks, also...

[​IMG]

2. Oh so that's the performance where that iconic gif of her running on stage came from. It sends me every time.

3. So I'm conflicted at losing Make It Happen (my 11!) now. While I feel sad because to me it should be at least top 10 on anyone's Mariah list...I understood early in this rate that Emotions was not the most beloved album, so I'm also happy that it made top 15!

Again the 3:56 mark (4:36 if you're watching the official video) is one of my favorite (if not my absolute favorite) power vocal Mariah moments ever! My other close contenders for my 11 were My All, Dreamlover, Breakdown and Fantasy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    ohaimanabu, londonrain, vague and 2 others like this.
  4. deserved at lest top 10!!!!!!!!!

GimmeWork, londonrain and vague like this.
  5. I always really loved Make it Happen growing up and thought it would be in my top 10 but on a Mariah re-listen these past few weeks it didn’t hold up to many of her other other tracks. It’s still a great song and the vocals are fantastic - It just sounds quite dated, and not in a retro way in the way that something like Prisoner is, a song that I wouldn’t even have put in my top 50 until I did this re-listen. Now it’s one of my faves.

6. Yas at Can't Let Go still being in!

7. This! Am so happy it's doing so good! Such an underrated delight and then some.

8. About that . . .

[​IMG]

Just cast aside
    You don't even know I'm alive
    You just walk on by
    Don't care to see me cry

[​IMG]

"Can't Let Go"

Score: 8.848
    High scores: 10×23 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @GimmeWork, @EricG1990, @Imagineitwasus, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @godspeed, @Cowboystyle, @pop3blow2, @CasuallyCrazed, @lalaclairi_, @If You Go, @londonrain, @Slice of Life, @BreatheBox, @Lapras, @PayMe, @Veeis, @Remorque, @Sail On, @Oceandrive, @vague), 9.5×5 (@Womanizer, @AdzBrown, @JamesJupiter, @ysev, @LeBratt), 9.25×1 (@Seventeen Days)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@Ana Raquel), 6.5×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 7×5 (@playboy69, @Sprockrooster, @soratami, @Aester, @Blond)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #27 (tied), 8.900 avg.
    10 ballots: #17 (tied), 8.950 avg.
    15 ballots: #15 (tied), 9.033 avg.
    20 ballots: #15 (tied), 8.900 avg.
    25 ballots: #20, 8.640 avg.
    30 ballots: #15, 8.800 avg.
    35 ballots: #16, 8.814 avg.
    40 ballots: #14, 8.863 avg.
    45 ballots: #15, 8.878 avg.
    50 ballots: #14, 8.860 avg.
    55 ballots: #14, 8.877 avg.
    60 ballots: #16, 8.829 avg.
    61 ballots: #14, 8.848 avg.

"Can't Let Go" was released as the second single from Mariah's second studio album, "Emotions", on October 23, 1991. Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff.

In an attempt to boost sales of the album, Sony Records pulled all copies of "Can't Let Go" from stores in the US before it had peaked, thus making it Mariah's first single not to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It ultimately peaked at #2 - still a hit obviously - but it could've easily been another #1 if Sony hadn't intervened. "Can't Let Go" also peaked at #3 in Canada, #20 in the UK, and #21 in New Zealand, but failed to chart within the top 40 of any other market it was released. The single sold 580k physical copies in total worldwide during its initial chart run.

Simply gorgeous in every way. This has long been my favorite early-Mariah ballad. The restrained-yet-still-powerful vocals on display here are some of the best ever committed to record, honestly. I love listening to the a capella version made from her leaked vocal stems; it's pretty dang close to a religious experience for me tbh.

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "My personal favourite Mariah Carey song of all time. Can't Let Go, just oozes class and sophistication. Emotions, is a tour de force of killer Carey vocals, but this is the very best of them all. You can really feel the longing and yearning in her voice. She knows she has to move on for her own sake. Yet, just quite can't. That final chorus especially captures that and the essence of the song, before it winds down to it's calming (and yet haunting close). Just gives me chills each and every time."

@Imagineitwasus (10) — "Haunting, sensitive. The first true lost love jewel from her discography."

@Pinky25 (10) — "It's so smooth and very early 90's sounding."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "the ICONIC, #robbed number 1 that never was. This song is incredible, and I swear she sampled it in the Thank God I Found You remix but everyone says I'm crazy." (it's not credited, but whosampled says it samples Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which the "Thank God I Found You" remix interpolates, so i guess that's what you're hearing? the little riff in both "Can't Let Go" and "Make It Last Forever" are basically identical ddd)

@godspeed (10) — "'Can't Let Go' is one of my first memories of Mariah Carey. I remember listening to her Greatest Hits album when I was a kid and... I don't know, there's just something about this track that captured my soul attention. I think that was the cinematic intro - pretty much the 90s in all of their glory - that just manages to create a mood and a very special and 'hopelessly romantic' kind of atmosphere. Then the song really starts, the percussions kick in and it's absolutely glorious. I know this track is already a fan favorite but I truly believe that it should be one of those tracks everyone directly thinks of when the name 'Mariah Carey' comes up. An absolute glory of a song."

@pop3blow2 (10) — "Epic. That intro, whew. I remember being distraught this stopped at #2 on the charts (the drama of the pop charts was real to me!). The unplugged version is mind-blowing good."

@Veeis (10) — "The best song from Emotions album, truly heavenly sound with great vocals."

@Oceandrive (10) — "Can we take a moment to talk about the opening instrumental please?! Remind them of your producer credentials Queen! This song is so uniquely 90's yet like all of Mariah's finest efforts it shines just a little brighter today. She really snapped on that middle 8."

@Womanizer (9.5) — "Incredibly dramatic and she absolutely nails it."

@ysev (9.5) — "One of my favorite ballads. It's sooo seductive and sultry."

@Seventeen Days (9.25) — "I first got into this one when I used to obsessively listen to the Unplugged EP, but the album version is way superior. Classic 90s R&B sound on this one."

@Music Is Life (9) — "Another ballad, but it seems to have a slightly faster tempo than the previous one. This is gorgeous, but I honestly feel like something is missing here. I just can't put my finger on it."

@bonnieetclyde (9) — "great vibe and gorgeous melody. Nice mix of her soft whisper vocals and the more powerful belting voice."

@tylerc904 (9) — "What an underrated beauty. A rare moment of subdued vocals."

@ohaimanabu (9) — "Still cannot believe this didn't hit #1."

@DominoDancing (8.5) — "Great chorus. The absolute kii that this was kept from being #1 by All 4 Love (a fun but super basic bop) though..."

@abael (8) — "The intro had me worried that the previous track was simply the pre-ballad. This however turns out to be a more uptempo (if still relaxed) pace, and is enjoyable outside of the whistle ending. We know Mariah." (maybe you'll like the radio edit better; it removes the whistle at the end of the track)

@Jimmyandroid (7.5) — "Appreciate this one rather than love it."

9. Y'all jinxed it!

CasuallyCrazed, londonrain and vague like this.
  10. What a fucking mess!!!

Jacques, soratami, Robert and 8 others like this.
  11. Every single melody in "Can't Let Go" sounds as classic and classy as it gets.

ohaimanabu, vague, phoenix123 and 2 others like this.
  12. Oh! I guess it would have just had to miss out on the top 10, that would have been one step too far it's luck. Just like back in the day when it stalled at #2 in the US, Can't Let Go had to stall before it could go any further it seems.

It really is my favourite Mariah Carey song of all time. There's something about it that drawns me into it each and every time, perhaps so more than any of her other many all time greats. And to think a song of this calibre was only from her 2nd album too. Legends only.

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Imagine having an act with an unbroken streak of #1s starting from her very first single... and then deliberately breaking the streak by pulling these shenanigans. What the actual fuck?

soratami, Robert, ohaimanabu and 10 others like this.
  14. Oh, I really thought "Can't Let Go" was gonna be top 5!

15. Indeed, just madness! They should have let things lie.

16. Well fuck. But at least it's top15 so it's a great position.

vague and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  17. Another underrated moment. But then I think the whole Emotions album is underrated...

ohaimanabu, tylerc904, vague and 4 others like this.
  18. Without a doubt. Listening it to now as I type. Just perfection.

vague and londonrain like this.
  19. ohaimanabu, vague, Lapras and 7 others like this.
  20. I always wondered if the pulling of Can't Let Go was also a bit of a power-play by Tommy to try and control Mariah.

Lovely song but it (and Make It Happen) deserved to leave a while back. Not sure I understand the early album bias on here.

vague and Pinky25 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.