The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Bit of part 2 rate promo, but listening to Crybaby and it better do well!

2. Oh no! I had no idea that Sony pulled the copies of CLG out of stores, what a ridiculous thing to do! Also @WhatKindOfKylie? if it's your favourite Mariah song of all time, why didn't you give it your 11??

3. Ah! Well, there is another song that I love almost just as much, but one that feel was more important and influential to Mariah's career and legacy. So, that's ultimately why it wasn't.

ohaimanabu, londonrain and vague like this.
  4. I wish I had voted now as Can't Let Go would have been my 11.

ohaimanabu, londonrain, vague and 2 others like this.
  5. It's been so nice to see so much love for Can't Let Go.

6. I gave my 11 to ‘Looking In’ and it is certainly a top 5 Mariah song to me. One reason I gave it my 11, is I thought it might need it the most. The two other songs were legit 11 contenders were ‘Vanishing’ and ‘Can’t Let Go’.

Can’t Let Go is just stunning and probably the song that put me in peak Mariah mode in my youth. I was enchanted by the intro and fascinated by the melody. I was way more crushed than I should’ve been when it stalled at #2 on the Billboard chart. (my brain didn’t understand how it couldn’t go to number 1... and then I learned why later...)

I remember about dying of excitement when she launched into it on her Unplugged. Still a moment.

It really is one of her best ballads in every respect. The production, the melody, her dynamic vocal. Just, whew....

7. [​IMG]

8. Tonight's cut has received the most 11 so far . . .

[​IMG]

Weak in the knees
    Wrapped in the warm gentle breeze
    So shy, a bundle of butterflies
    Flush with the heat of desire, on a natural high

[​IMG]

"Underneath The Stars"

Score: 8.992
    High scores: 11×4 (@Womanizer, @Seventeen Days, @LeBratt, @Oceandrive), 10×24 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @GimmeWork, @The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @tylerc904, @Imagineitwasus, @ohaimanabu, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @godspeed, @pop3blow2, @ysev, @japanbonustrack, @CasuallyCrazed, @Love Deluxe, @BreatheBox, @Lapras, @Mushroom, @PayMe, @Veeis, @codecat, @Island, @vague), 9.5×4 (@Music Is Life, @AdzBrown, @mokitsu, @Lost In Japan.)
    Low scores: 5×1 (@playboy69), 6×2 (@Ana Raquel, @Sail On), 7×7 (@Daniel_O, @Sprockrooster, @Cowboystyle, @londonrain, @Aester, @DominoDancing, @Blond)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #33, 8.700 avg.
    10 ballots: #15, 9.050 avg.
    15 ballots: #11, 9.200 avg.
    20 ballots: #15 (tied), 8.900 avg.
    25 ballots: #13, 8.880 avg.
    30 ballots: #13, 8.900 avg.
    35 ballots: #12, 9.000 avg.
    40 ballots: #15, 8.838 avg.
    45 ballots: #13, 8.922 avg.
    50 ballots: #13, 8.970 avg.
    55 ballots: #13, 8.973 avg.
    60 ballots: #13, 8.958 avg.
    61 ballots: #13, 8.992 avg.

"Underneath The Stars" is the second track from Mariah's fifth studio album, "Daydream". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff. The track was released as an airplay-only single in the US on April 5, 1996, and, because there was no physical release, it was ineligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100. It did, however, peak at #69 on Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart. A music video for the song was shot in the Netherlands, the UK, and France, but was never released, and Mariah has stated that the footage is now lost.

"Underneath The Stars" was the first track written and recorded once Mariah began working on "Daydream", and helped shape the album's soundscape. Mariah has often and repeatedly called the track one of her favorite songs, and even fought with Sony Records to have it (and "Breakdown") included on her first compilation album, "#1's". She thought the album should showcase her best material and not just her biggest hits, but Sony wanted the album to only include her, at the time, thirteen #1 singles and nothing else. To compromise, Mariah was allowed to record four new songs (and one re-recording of a "Butterfly" album track), but she still felt the "#1's" album was a disappointment for omitting her own personal favorites. In 2001, she was finally able to include "Underneath The Stars" on the "Greatest Hits" compilation album released after she left Sony.

For years, if you had asked me what my favorite Mariah track was, I would've named this without hesitation. That's not to say that I no longer love it now; it's actually still a firm favorite, and very early got my 11 in this rate. I adore it. I still vividly remember hearing this song for the very first time - that's how ingrained in my mind this song is and has been for nearly 20 years now.

In early 2000, Mariah released a five-track EP exclusively to Walmart stores in the US called "Valentines", and this was one of the tracks on there. This was shortly after "Heartbreaker" had taken over my life, so I had to buy the EP. My parents were still deeply embedded in the Pentecostal church, so I knew they would never let me buy it. But my older step-sister would. After all, she had already helped me sneak and buy the "#1's" album by that point, and had even made a bootleg "Rainbow" cassette tape for us to listen to in her car. I saved up my measly weekly allowance of $1 for what felt like forever until I could finally afford to pay for it (it was only, like, $5, I think ddd). Finally, one day after school, we had the chance to make the half-hour journey to Walmart and I could get my grubby little hands on new music from my favorite singer.

The ride back home was unbearable! My sister's car didn't have a CD player, I hadn't thought to bring my walkman along, and we still had a few errands to run for my mom before we'd even begin heading home. Even once we got back home, dinner was ready, so the CD remained unplayed until late that evening. "Vision Of Love" was the first track and I, of course, already knew it from "#1's", but the next song was brand new to me. As soon as the opening piano riff began playing in my headphones I was enraptured. I'd never heard anything like "Underneath The Stars" before! The Christian music I'd grow up listening to was never very subtle - not in terms of their lyrics and definitely not in their music. Even the Mariah songs I already knew were very different and usually more bombastic - even the ballads - than this song.

I truly believe "Underneath The Stars" is the reason I'm even running this rate right now tbh. I've outgrown a lot of the pop music I first sneakily discovered as a kid, but this song - and Mariah herself - has been a constant presence in my life. I sadly no longer have my copy of the "Valentines" EP - that's a different and, frankly, kind of fucked up story ddd - but I credit that EP and, especially this song in particular, for making me the stan I am today.

@Womanizer (11) — "HER BEST SONG - and the Tokyo Dome performance - a Daydream... literally a Daydream."

@Seventeen Days (11) — "The first time that I listened to this album way back in the day, this song immediately stood out to me. This track is total 70s AM radio R&B - the sample of the record scratches really add to the vibe, not to mention that Rhodes piano so tastefully accenting Mariah's amazing vocals. Her effortless slide from a sweet soft vocal into a powerhouse belt is on full display, and has never sounded better than on this hidden gem of a song. I read somewhere that this was supposed to be a single and even had a video filmed; I bet it would have been HUGE if it had been released."

@Oceandrive (11) — "Mariah the storyteller! I agonized over what to give my 11 to and ultimately it could not go anywhere else. The craftsmanship here is exquisite. Her songwriting here is full to the brim of extravagant lexical choices laced in candy coated melody that just melts out of the speaker in that dreamy falsetto. It all comes together to make for such a mood and captures the feeling of young love so accurately because everything is so damn perfect and naive. I also wanna highlight the intricacies in the arrangement and backing vocals, something that would go on to become another Mimi staple. She really uses her voice as an instrument and the acapella version of this song is such a treat because there are so many layers to peel away and enjoy."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "For me, Underneath The Stars is just simply one of the top 5 songs that Mariah Carey has ever made. And I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that too! A flawless song that can never ever do no wrong or lose its touch each and every listen. And believe me, there has been so so many over the years too! This better do very well in the rate..."

@The Hot Rock (10) — "It almost makes me want to brave the assault of mosquitoes and go lay in my back yard ddddddd."

@tylerc904 (10) — "Utterly brilliant. Mariah has a knack for evocative lyrics in general, but this one is another level. It paints such a clear picture."

@Imagineitwasus (10) — "I love this, the vocal arrangements are to die for."

@Pinky25 (10) — "My sister's favorite Mariah song."

@godspeed (10) — "Lyrically speaking, Daydream is such a pivotal moment in Mariah's career in my opinion because even if she has always shown great promise as a songwriter, this album is the moment where she reaaally got serious with it. I mean, who opens the second verse of her lead single with something as brilliant as 'Images of rapture/Creep into me slowly'? But to get back to 'Underneath The Stars,' this ballad truly shows in the purest way what a great songwriter Mariah is and how easily she can paint a picture with her words and really create a mood with her lyrics alone. 'Underneath The Stars' is a song that always manages to take me to another place. This song is absolutely stellar yet it's done and produced with such restraint, everything about it is so lovely and pure. A classic. (also, 'The Drifting Remix' is perfect and doesn't get enough love)"

@pop3blow2 (10) — "Just such a pretty song. I remember listening to this in headphones the first time & getting chills. Mariah serving the world an ASMR groove we didn't deserve."

@ysev (10) — "Beautiful. Sparkly. Jazzy. Breezy. Understated. A standout highlight of her entire discography. The 'your love, your love, your love' part never fails to obliterate me. Perfection."

@Veeis (10) — "Deserved that lost video and #1. I adore the whistles."

@Music Is Life (9.5) — "This is an R&B, slow jam type of song without really being a ballad and it suits her perfectly. The production is smooth and warm, as are her vocals. Another great song."

@mokitsu (9.5) — "I know it's a bit of a Popjustice cliché to use this word but: sublime."

@abael (9) — "Nice to hear such a relaxed, low key ballad from Mariah, as they can often be near overwrought."

@lalaclairi_ (9) — "Such a beautiful moment. Mariah's songwriting really is unmatched."

@Jimmyandroid (8.5) — "Took me a long time to warm to this vibe and appreciate what she was trying to do but I do love it now."

@evilsin (8) — "I've only now noticed that this reminds me of Minnie Riperton's 'Lovin' you'."

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "whispery vocals galore. A breezy track, light and airy. A bit forgettable but nice all the same."

@DominoDancing (7) — "Pretty - not a standout among her ballads though."

9. so sorry the elimination post is super late tonight!!! I've literally spent all afternoon writing and rewriting it (and I'm still not happy with it dddd but w/e) but I wanted to get it posted before midnight my time... and I just made it, phew ddd.

I also want to give you guys a heads up - my nephew is having minor surgery on Monday and I'll be staying overnight with my neice on both Monday and Tuesday, so eliminations will probably be spotty for the first half of the week. I'm going to try to get a couple of posts pre-written this weekend, but just be aware that I may not have the time/energy to actually get them up. I should be back by Wednesday if nothing else, but if I go silent for a few days, that's why. thanks!

10. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

This is frankly so iconique. Thank you for sharing.

soratami, Txetxu, Butterfly and 14 others like this.
  11. Underneath The Stars, really and truly is a lost classic. So stupid of Sony not to release it as a proper commercial single back in the day-perhaps the first major bump in the road there. Could have so seen it being a big Summer smash back in the Summer of '96 somehow. SO dreamy in everyway!

And @vague, perfect write up and cover artwork there! Loved hearing your personal fandom single, so cute and cool!

ohaimanabu, vague, yuuurei and 4 others like this.
  12. That write-up! @vague did that. And don't fret, we're more than willing to wait for you.

13. I always loved Underneath The Stars but don’t think it would make my top 10.

However I was moved by the write up @vague

vague and londonrain like this.
  14. Great write up!

If you watch the bootleg Rotterdam Daydream Tour footage she mentions before performing Underneath The Stars they're filming the video!

15. I wish the music video will somehow just end up magically appear one day. One can dream!

vague likes this.
  16. The unprecedented impact of a Walmart EP. Beautiful Eyes who?

ohaimanabu, vague and nikkysan like this.
  17. Mariah has said a few times the video was shot and finished, but it's just got lost somewhere along the way. Such a missed opportunity.

(I adore that cover btw)

18. Really was a missed opportunity. Really think it could have been one of her biggest hits.

ohaimanabu, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. Mariah has several 'headphone masterpieces', but Underneath The Stars is best. The song is practically perfect as is, but the production & mixing is out of this world.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  20. I especially adore the retro vinyl scratches at the beginning.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.