The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Jun 3, 2019.

1. I adore that pink dress! And the song too of course.

vague likes this.
  2. I imagine The Roof is out next. A Top 3 of that, Honey and Fantasy would phenomenal though.

ysev, vague, Music Is Death and 3 others like this.
  3. Phenomenal and then some.

vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Emotions holding its own for so long after the rest of its parent album was brutally culled is amazing.

I worry that it’s going to be out next, followed by The Roof. This feels like we’re heading for a Honey/Fantasy top two (which I’d be fine with, but I want Fantasy to have a shot at the next Winners’ Rate, given that Honey is ineligible).

5. I honestly can't predict it now. Emotions doing so well and in the top 4 has been a shock and a great one at that!

vague and londonrain like this.
  6. I'm in shock at 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' leaving, this makes me worry my 11 won't win!

Anyhoo, like I said in commentary we HAVE to get it to #1 this year for it's 25th anniversary it was so close in 2018.

'Always Be My Baby' is still a classic Mariah track, I love her look in the video so much!

7. I can't believe All I Want For Christmas Is You is out, and also can't believe The Roof is still in! I hope Fantasy wins!

pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  8. I hope Emotions is out next (should've been out earlier).

vague likes this.
  9. I don't want to jinx it but...

"THE ROOF" FOR THE WIN!!!

I'm talking it into existence!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    soratami, ohaimanabu, Fuchsia and 4 others like this.
  10. "Butterfly" has two songs left, while "Emotions" and "Daydream" each have one song left in play . . .

Could we be heading toward an all "Butterfly" top two?

After this cut, we'll be one step closer to finding out . . .

[​IMG]

It feels like a dream
    When you love me tenderly
    I don't know if you're for real
    But I like the way I feel inside

[​IMG]

"Emotions"

Score: 9.523
    High scores: 11×3 (@abael, @DominoDancing, @codecat), 10×33 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @GimmeWork, @The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @tylerc904, @Maria, @AdzBrown, @ohaimanabu, @JamesJupiter, @Sprockrooster, @Pinky25, @Ana Raquel, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @ysev, @Hurricane Drunk, @lalaclairi_, @BEST FICTION, @londonrain, @Slice of Life, @Lapras, @PayMe, @Lost In Japan., @Seventeen Days, @LeBratt, @Oleander, @Blond, @Remorque, @Sail On, @RainOnFire, @vague), 9.7×1 (@Womanizer)
    Low scores: 5×1 (@Veeis), 7×1 (@mokitsu), 7.5×1 (@bonnieetclyde)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: #9 (tied), 9.400 avg.
    10 ballots: #9, 9.420 avg.
    15 ballots: #4, 9.547 avg.
    20 ballots: #4, 9.560 avg.
    25 ballots: #1, 9.648 avg.
    30 ballots: #2, 9.597 avg.
    35 ballots: #2, 9.611 avg.
    40 ballots: #2, 9.585 avg.
    45 ballots: #2, 9.542 avg.
    50 ballots: #2, 9.548 avg.
    55 ballots: #4, 9.498 avg.
    60 ballots: #4, 9.532 avg.
    61 ballots: #4, 9.523 avg.

"Emotions" is the lead single and title track from Mariah's second studio album; it was released as a single on August 13, 1991. Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah, David Cole, and Robert Clivillés (aka C+C Music Factory). "Emotions" was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at 1992 Grammy Awards, but ultimately lost to Bonnie Raitt's "Something To Talk About". The 12" Club Mix of "Emotions" was prominently sampled in Drake's 2018 US and UK top ten single "Emotionless".

During the recording of her second album, Mariah was sent to work with David Cole and Robert Clivillés. The trio initially produced "You're So Cold", which was initially lined up to become the album's lead single. However, during their second writing session together, all three were in a "lighter mood", and came up with idea for "Emotions", an ode to '70s disco. After hearing it, Mariah and her label decided it would make a better choice to lead the album. For its single release, C+C Music Factory produces several remixes of the song; the 12" Club Mix of the track in particular featured a newly recorded gospel-influenced intro and received its own music video.

In high school, I had a very good friend who was also a huge fan of Mariah... Actually, come to think of it, that's probably how we even started talking since we hung in very different circles then ddd. Anyway, his favorite Mariah song was "Emotions (12" Club Mix)", which I always found such an interesting choice since he was super into the emo scene back then dddd. We would almost ~always~ blast it as loud as could stand it in his car whenever we hung out or went anywhere, so that version is pretty much thee version for me. We slowly lost touch over the past ten years, but I still think of him whenever I listen to that remix, and it always makes me smile. This song is so exuberant and joyful anyway, but those memories have made it that much more so in my
    mind. Whatever else he's up to today, I hope he's still blasting it at full volume in his car.

@abael (11) — "The song I think of first when Mariah comes up. Out and out classic."

@DominoDancing (11) — "My favourite Mariah song in this rate. It has the hooks, and most of all, it has THOSE whistle notes. Just an overall impressive pop song."

@Music Is Life (10) — "Another perfect opener/lead single. I love the slightly old-school feel of this. It's a lot of fun, easy to dance to and I almost can't believe some of those notes she hits. And she set a record when this went to number 1 in the U.S. Talent won."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "If this doesn't make you feel happy, then quite frankly I don't know what will!! The song that kicked of the Carey signature trend of uptempo lead singles, Emotions is also for my mind, the most ambitious too, with its spot on 70's Disco sound and yet still 'modern' and accessible for a then 1991 audience to enjoy. Or those who are still happily listening along to in 2019 for that matter! 'You get me feeling higher' indeed Mimi!"

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "Euphoric, melismatic, incredible."

@GimmeWork (10) — "As a kid, my parents suckered me into piano lessons (even though my bratty ass wanted dance classes) by buying the sheet music to this whole album and Emotions was the first non-kiddy song I learned to play so it will always hold a special place in my heart."

@The Hot Rock (10) — "whew, the vocals."

@tylerc904 (10) — "An absolute banger in every sense. Probably one of the hardest, though one of my favorites, to sing."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "10s across the board. Who doesn't actually sing this song every time it comes on? Still stellar to this day."

@Sprockrooster (10) — "I honestly need this to be added to the Singstar catalogue so I can set a new life goal. When I am driving solely I feel like I am doing quite alright, but the people on the streets turning their heads might suggest otherwise."

@Pinky25 (10) — "This song is very special to me and is one of my favorites from her."

@Ana Raquel (10) — "I don't even know which whistle is the most iconic one here."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "um, hello? This is and always will be a 10. This is when I really fell in love with her whistle register, as I'm sure everyone can relate to. As a kid in the early 90s, I was so envious that she could hit those notes, that I'd have many, MANY, days where I'd lose my voice from trying to be Mariah too much."

@ysev (10) — "The whole song is just such an old school feel good moment. I'm not sure if it has been ever used on any soundtrack but the vibe of Emotions reminds me of classic 90s movies. It never fails to cheer me up."

@lalaclairi_ (10) — "I've always loved how euphoric 'Emotions' is."

@BEST FICTION (10) — "This has become a staple with me and my best friends when we go to karaoke. The screams we let out towards the end should be against the law."

@londonrain (10) — "Is this the song that got her a Guinness World Record for highest note, or am I imagining that? This is a huge bop in its album version and I also stan the extended intro in the unplugged version. The video is just pure joy."

@Seventeen Days (10) — "I mean... what else can you say besides 'iconic'?"

@Blond (10) — "90's rave piano, a vocal masterclass and a stone cold classic and it still isn't my 11? That just speaks to the strength of this woman's discography. This is for sure one of my favourite songs of all time though. As someone who is obsessed with women with huge voices, the middle 8 onwards gives me chills every fucking time."

@Womanizer (9.7) — "Summer song 2kforever."

@godspeed (9.5) — "I could say a lot of things about 'Emotions' - how fun it is, how much I appreciate the Motown influence behind it, how iconic the whistle tone on the bridge is - but what makes me REALLY love this song is that usually when I'm with friends, I know that they won't enjoy listening to Mariah Carey... but this one, I can play it anywhere - at a party, in the car - and everyone will enjoy it or have a good time. So just for that reason alone I love 'Emotions.' Or maybe I just need new friends but that's a subject for a different conversation."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "Überjoyous and again those high notes, whew."

@evilsin (9) — "The whistle register is out of this world here. And the memes only made me love this even more."

@Oceandrive (9) — "The one that reminds every karaoke goer that they really ain't shit. This occupies the same territory that 'How Will I Know' does in Whitney's discography. I'm yet to hear a cover version that even remotely captures the euphoria of the original."

@pop3blow2 (8.7) — "Oh, the 'sophomore' album. Words can not explain how excited I was for this album in 1991. I was getting into my Mariah fandom, hard. Initially, I was pretty smitten with 'Emotions'. I did eventually tire of it some, though. I know it's one of her signature songs, but even today, I find it good if not a tad overrated in her discog. I do like the C+C music factory piano a lot! I love that sound."

@BreatheBox (8) — "love the song but most live versions of it are better than the studio version."

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "amazing vocals, perhaps a little over-sung in places. The chorus doesn't hit as hard as it could."

@mokitsu (7) — "Whilst this is one of her weaker lead singles, I of course have a soft spot for it as one of her classics with those legendary whistles."

@Veeis (5) — "Here comes the slander but I really don't like Emotions. This song is obviously her legacy and of the most iconic songs but I'm gonna take her middle - 8 whistles and run."​

11. The Roof is top 3?! I would have never believed it if you'd told me at the start of the rate, I don't think it was even top 10 last time!

soratami, evilsin, Aester and 10 others like this.
  12. Emotions is such a classy bop!! Thrilled to bits it's done so good, far better than I ever thought in fact.

13. Should be about 40 spots lower, but at least it missed the top 3.

vague likes this.
  14. Wow, finally one of her most underrated ever songwriting displays makes the top 3 in a rate?!!!!! I'm chuffed for 'The Roof'!

Any of the top 3 could win for me, but obviously my 11 Honey for the win.

15. Well I didn't get around to making a top 10 prediction so here's my top 3 prediction!

3. The Roof
    2. Honey
    1. Fantasy

Though I suspect Honey might win again.

16. My ideal Top 3 -

3. Honey
    2. The Roof
    1. Fantasy

I'm 99% sure that Honey will win. It's a great song though so deserves it just as much as the other two.

Music Is Death and vague like this.
  17. Me singing along to Emotions in the car

codecat, evilsin, tylerc904 and 7 others like this.
  18. ‘The Roof’ making the Top 3 is the gag of the season.

soratami, P'NutButter, Blond and 6 others like this.
  19. My top 3

1. Honey
    2. Fantasy
    3. The Roof

vague, Music Is Death and Maria like this.
  20. I DIED the first time i saw this, and I died again tonight.

Fuchsia and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.