The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

So, without further ado, our first cut is . . .

74.png

Behold the Lamb of God has come
Behold the Lamb of God has come
Behold the Savior is born
Sing of His love to everyone

jesusbornonthisday.png

"Jesus Born On This Day"

Score: 5.502
High scores: 10×1 (@PayMe), 9×2 (@playboy69, @If You Go), 8.5×1 (@pop3blow2), 8×8 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @AdzBrown, @ohaimanabu, @Daniel_O, @Pinky25, @Lapras, @Island)
Low scores: 0×2 (@soratami, @Hurricane Drunk), 0.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 1×1 (@Tigerlily), 2×3 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @DominoDancing, @Seventeen Days)
My score: 6

5 ballots: #72, 6.6 avg.
10 ballots: #74, 5.91 avg.
15 ballots: #74, 6.04 avg.
20 ballots: #74, 5.93 avg.
25 ballots: #74, 5.624 avg.
30 ballots: #74, 5.77 avg.
35 ballots: #74, 5.489 avg.
40 ballots: #74, 5.54 avg.
45 ballots: #74, 5.613 avg.
50 ballots: #74, 5.582 avg.
55 ballots: #74, 5.52 avg.
60 ballots: #74, 5.502 avg.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, "Jesus Born On This Day" is our first cut - and the only song in the rate to have an average score below 6. "Jesus Born On This Day" is one of three original tracks from Mariah's first Christmas album, "Merry Christmas", and was written, arranged, and produced solely by Mariah herself and Walter Afanasieff.

As you can see from the leaderboard history above, our first five voters were a little kinder to the track; giving it a 6.6 avg. and ranking it above two other mystery tracks. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music in general - especially religiously themed songs due in large part to my fundie upbringing - so this was a chore for me to get through, to be honest dddd. I thought about cutting it before voting opened, but, in the end, I opted to include due to it being one of the few original tracks on the album. One thing even I can appreciate about this song is how much it actually does sound like an old-timey Christmas standard; I'd have never guessed listening to it that Mariah had co-written it for the album. Talent. I also quite like how reigned in her vocals are throughout. It's not often that Mariah shows this much restraint vocally - which is NOT a complaint - but this is a bit of a nice change of pace.​

@If You Go (9) — "Merry Christmas the album very important to me since it encapsulates the joy Christmas for me, if the entire album had been included to rate it would probably have an absurdly high average just because I love the holiday and album so much. I also would have never guessed that this was an original song and the vocal performance is wonderful."

@Music Is Life (8) — "This is fine but I could do without it."

@japanbonustrack (7) — "The choir, the bells... I feel 3 again."

@bonnieetclyde (6.5) — "a bit saccharine. Does the job but the weakest of the original tracks on this album."

@godspeed (6) — "A Christmas song so not really my cup of tea but Mariah's voice sounds so angelic here that, suddenly, I don't mind listening to a Christian song about Jesus' birth."

@londonrain (6) — "This is good, but I can't justify it outranking the many other classics in this rate."

@BreatheBox (6) — "i'm not religious really... but gurl brought me to church."

@mokitsu (5) — "This is more one to enjoy as part of the full album than one I'd listen to individually. I do want to give her props for writing something so classic-sounding though. I was surprised to learn this was an original song."

@abael (4) — "Bells, organs, children, no."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (2) — "I just find this such a let down compared to her other two original masterpieces on her forever iconic Christmas album. Perhaps that's why it's so low for me? Or maybe it's not very good..."

@DominoDancing (2) — "This on the other hand is absolutely everything I hate about Christmas songs. Generic bible imagery and a children's choir. Kill me now."

@Seventeen Days (2) — "Nope, sorry. Can't do the extremely religious Christmas songs. Hard pass."​

Last edited:
Hero
Jesus Born On This Day
If It’s Over
So Blessed
I’ll Be There
Never Forget You
Just To Hold You Once Again
The Beautiful Ones
Whenever You Call (w/ Brian McKnight)
Endless Love
I Still Believe
Do You Know Where You’re Going To

Can be the first tracks to leave.
I liked this at first but then I realized you included I Still Believe and that’s one of my favorite songs from childhood.

I am devastated that I missed this.

since we've only cut one track so far, and no matter what score you gave it its position wouldn't have changed anyway, I'm sure no one would mind if you joined us. can you get your ballot to me by tomorrow morning?

I can’t remember if Thank God I found you was included in this half of the rate?

nope! that's coming in part two!

londonrain

Staff member
Music Box is literally one of my favourite albums of all time.

Receipts:
#245. Mariah Carey - Music Box
(2 of 36)

5 Points - @londonrain

Mariah Carey // 2nd Album :: Mariah Carey (3) - Music Box (5)

Music_Box_Mariah_Carey.png

Year: 1993
Genre: R&B/Pop
Label: Columbia
Main Producers: Mariah Carey, Walter Afanasieff
Main Writer: Mariah Carey

Tracklist

1. Dreamlover
2. Hero
3. Anytime You Need a Friend
4. Music Box
5. Now That I Know
6. Never Forget You
7. Without You
8. Just to Hold You Once Again
9. I've Been Thinking About You
10. All I've Ever Wanted

(International bonus)

11. Everything Fades Away

Singles Run

1. Dreamlover
2. Hero
3. Without You / Never Forget You
4. Anytime You Need a Friend

Best Chart Position

#1 (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Europe, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States)

Sales

From Our Voters

@londonrain

Favorite: Without You
Recommendation: Anytime You Need A Friend
Underrated: Now That I Know

I discovered Mariah Carey through two things: watching her MTV Unplugged performance of I'll Be There and hearing Hero played over and over on the radio. As a result, the first albums I ever bought were Music Box and Daydream - and to this day there isn't a single song on either album that I don't like. I used to sing along to both albums and I can still do every ad lib, twirl and belt on both albums!

If your experience of Mariah is almost entirely from 1995 onwards, a lot of the musical stylings on this album will be unrecognisable, as it's her last album not to feature any R&B and she basically abandoned this template for her later albums. Musically the album is very similar to Mariah's previous studio album Emotions, with the sequencing and ratio of bops to ballads being much the same - I can match most of the songs on Emotions to their counterparts on Music Box - but Music Box updates the sound a bit and raises the bar.

The first single, Dreamlover, never fails to lift my spirits whenever I hear it, and Anytime You Need A Friend is still brilliant, with Mariah's voice soaring over a full choir with ease. Hero, which sits in between, has been so overplayed that I always think I'm sick of it until I actually hear it again and remember just how good a song it is, despite various artists' mangling of it over the years (I'm still trying to forget THAT Rihanna cover).

The C+C Music Factory sound that started on Emotions (with You're So Cold and Make It Happen) is carried through here with the dance songs Now That I Know and I've Been Thinking About You, of which Now That I Know - a song about finally feeling secure in a relationship - is one of the highlights of the album. This was the last album to feature this sound, as David Cole died before the release of Mariah's next album Daydream, and unfortunately the dance sound started being confined to remixes.

Where the album scores over Emotions is on the more understated ballads (which were a bit of a weak point on Emotions, but are a definite strength on this album). Just To Hold You Once Again, Music Box and All I've Ever Wanted are all gorgeous but are among the simplest ballads in her discography, with Mariah singing in full voice but with no whistle register, no whispering, and nowhere near the level of bombast present on her big ballads. Even Never Forget You, which goes into full Mariah at the end, benefits from the more restrained approach.
However, it wouldn't be a Mariah album with the big ballads, and this one has the big ballad to end all big ballads. Without You was a perfectly chosen cover and Mariah absolutely nails it - the "can't liiiiiiiiiiiive if living is without you" is instantly iconic, and I used to constantly attempt the fifteen-second belt she does on the word "more" - which she does twice in the last minute of the song!

Bonus track Everything Fades Away is worth mentioning as it's actually a better album closer than All I've Ever Wanted - it has an almost ethereal quality to it that feels like it ends the album perfectly without being too upbeat or too downbeat. The male backing vocals in the middle 8 are a nice touch, and the choir really lifts the song without overpowering it.