The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Thoughts so far...I had no idea Jesus was an original Mariah composition for years, I just assumed it was an old religious song along with a lot of the others on the album. I am not religious at all but ignoring the subject matter I think it's quite cute, certainly a lot better than some of the filler tracks in later years that I probably couldn't even sing. Just To Hold You Once Again is also quite nice, not offensive at all, I'm a huge Music Box fan though and it's the album that got me into Mariah. I loved that album so much I went back and bought the first 2 albums. The Mahogany song is a bit meh, doesn't stand up to Diana's version for me I'm afraid.

Our final cut of the day will see someone else lose their first 10 . . .

71.png

As you touch me so sweetly
And you whisper my name
I feel how you love me
We are the same

soblessed.png

"So Blessed"

Score: 6.572
High scores: 10×1 (@tylerc904), 9.5×2 (@Jimmyandroid, @Aester), 9×2 (@EricG1990, @Oleander)
Low scores: 3×1 (@Ana Raquel), 4.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 5×16 (@playboy69, @The Hot Rock, @Imagineitwasus, @ohaimanabu, @abael, @Cowboystyle, @japanbonustrack, @lalaclairi_, @If You Go, @evilsin, @DominoDancing, @Lost In Japan., @Veeis, @codecat, @Sail On, @Oceandrive)
My score: 7.25

5 ballots: #70, 6.75 avg.
10 ballots: #68, 7.115 avg.
15 ballots: #66, 7.277 avg.
20 ballots: #68, 7.133 avg.
25 ballots: #71, 6.866 avg.
30 ballots: #72, 6.872 avg.
35 ballots: #71, 6.676 avg.
40 ballots: #70, 6.779 avg.
45 ballots: #70, 6.759 avg.
50 ballots: #71, 6.668 avg.
55 ballots: #71, 6.662 avg.
60 ballots: #71, 6.598 avg.
61 ballots: #71, 6.572 avg.

"So Blessed" is the seventh track from Mariah's second studio album "Emotions". Once again, the song was written, arranged, and produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff, with Mariah handling the lyrics alone.

I kind of dig the doo-wopy vibe to this, but it's far from a favorite, so I'm not too fussed to see it go this soon tbh. Mariah would, of course, go on to fully perfect this same kind of laidback old school soulful vibe with later, better songs, which makes this feel even more redundant in the grand scheme of her discography to me. It's a nice background kind of song, though; not particularly interesting, but also inoffensive enough to just vibe to while you're busy doing other things.​

@tylerc904 (10) — "This and All I've Ever Wanted are my favorite non-single ballads from her early years. Just melodically exquisite."

@Jimmyandroid
(9.5) — "I love the 70s Carpentersesque feel of this."

@Music Is Life
(8.5) — "Another ballad, with a classic R&B feel, so I really enjoyed this one. Her vocals are as perfect as ever, but I felt kind of 'eh' when listening to it."

@Womanizer (8.4) — "One of her best schmaltzy deep cuts."

@godspeed (8) — "Why do we NEVER talk about this track? It's such a stunning ballad and vocal performance and easily one of the best album tracks on Emotions. That chorus man... it's stunning!"

@pop3blow2 (8) — "The first pass at 'Forever'. Solid, but it's no Forever!"

@bonnieetclyde (7.5) — "I appreciate the vocals here more than anything else. As an instrumental it's a little bland."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (7) — "The weakest song from the whole album for me. But still a strong 7, which shows just how superb her 2nd LP, really is! It just feels a bit sappy and slightly bland compared to it's trackmates that's all..."

@londonrain (7) — "A bit of a comedown after the run of tracks before it, but still beautiful, and not deserving of the inevitable bottom ten position it will get in this rate."

@Seventeen Days (6.75) — "This one doesn't really have any punch or 'wow factor' for me, but it's still got a good vibe."

@Imagineitwasus (5) — "A boring 60's ballad."

@ohaimanabu (5) — "I swear I only rated this song low because my mother pounded it through our heads as children...."

@abael (5) — "The elevator music backing and substandard recording of Mariah is a letdown."

@DominoDancing (5) — "Generic down-tempo."

@Veeis (5) — "It was always just there for me, nothing spectacular."​

the first single falls.

Well, if we're starting on Emotions already, this would be the ideal first boot. Breakdown/I Still Believe for first single please.

Last edited:
Loving these single covers. So Blessed made #4 on my personal chart (as double A-side with And You Don't Remember) so yes I was massively stanning her in 1992. Now I've got some great cover artwork for it!

Sorry I wasn't able to partake in this rate @vague but I shall be enjoying the reveal and kicking myself when my faves crash out early.

The single to fall definitely has to be Always Forget You... Hero will land somewhere within the middle due to overexposure and Mariah's absolute disdain for it.

Can't Let Go is not going to be letting go until the Top 15 sweetie! It's an underplayed classic.

The artwork for this rate is already iconic!!!!

Last edited: