The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Taking us into the top 70 is our first single to fall . . .

70.png

Oh, baby, no, I'll never forget you
I'll never let you out of my heart
Oh, you will always be here with me
Oh, I'll hold on to the memories, baby

neverforgetyou.png

"Never Forget You"

Score: 6.709
High scores: 10×2 (@Music Is Life, @RUNAWAY), 9×4 (@The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @AdzBrown, @londonrain), 8.9×1 (@pop3blow2), 8.5×2 (@tylerc904, @Hurricane Drunk)
Low scores: 1×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 2×1 (@Tigerlily), 3×1 (@RainOnFire)
My score: 8.25

5 ballots: #56, 7.65 avg.
10 ballots: #57, 7.515 avg.
15 ballots: #52, 7.843 avg.
20 ballots: #61, 7.358 avg.
25 ballots: #62, 7.326 avg.
30 ballots: #63, 7.268 avg.
35 ballots: #65, 6.973 avg.
40 ballots: #63, 7.039 avg.
45 ballots: #65, 6.972 avg.
50 ballots: #69, 6.805 avg.
55 ballots: #69, 6.777 avg.
60 ballots: #70, 6.704 avg.
61 ballots: #70, 6.709 avg.

And so, our first single to fall is "Never Forget You", released as a double A-side with "Without You" on February 22, 1994. It peaked at no.3 on the Billboard Hot 100 (100% due to "Without You" lbr) and the double-A single has sold over 600,000 copies in the US. The song's music and lyrics were written by Mariah and Babyface, and it was arranged+produced by Babyface, Mariah, and Daryl Simmons. For its single release, it was given a more R&B-style remix by Jermaine Dupri.

Frankly, I find the single mix of this song vastly superior to the album version; it gives some much-needed life to the backing track, and, overall, I just find JD's production on the track is more in line with my own, personal taste than Babyface's more schmaltzy, adult contemporary take on the song. The vocals and melodies on both versions are top-tier Mariah, though. I really wish she'd filmed a video for this - even just a live clip would've been fine tbh.​

@Music Is Life (10) — "And we're back to the ballads. Quite the opposite of the previous song, both lyrically and musically, this sweet mid-tempo about a lost love is a real highlight, and one of my favorites on here."

@The Hot Rock (9) — "oop at this making me cry at 3 am upon my first listen."

@pop3blow2 (8.9) — "I liked this one a lot more when I was younger. It's still solid. It has that classic 'Babyface' feel, which works in a lot of songs, but also did get played out."

@Imagineitwasus (8) — "A great proto - Melt Away moment. I really like the JD remix."

@abael (8) — "Definitely one of Mariah's premium ballads, both composed and performed brilliantly."

@bonnieetclyde (7) — "sort of plods along. I don't get much from this one, sadly."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Not...bad. Just mediocre. Especially compared to some of the other balladry on this album."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (6) — "This really does feel a bit 'by numbers'. Sorry, I don't mean that as an insult. It is rather sweet in its own way. But, she's done far greater ballads than this, both before and since - 4 of which are included alongside on this album too."

@Veeis (6) — "I like it but it's a snooze."

@godspeed (5.5) — "I feel like I should like this song because it's a collaboration between Mariah Carey and Babyface and, on paper, it's something that I would love. But it's just a bit... boring? I hate to use this word when it comes to ballads because it's such an easy and usually wrong point to make, but I feel like the magic that should have happened (and later did on 'Melt Away') between Mariah and Babyface just didn't happen here and all we have is Mariah on autopilot on a track that could have been sang by so many other pop and R&B singers."

@If You Go (5.5) — "I like the western twang it has, it's a nice enough song nothing ground breaking weird it's technically a top 5 single."

@Seventeen Days (5) — "Basically the music from Boyz II Men's 'End of the Road' with a key change and new lyrics. Not a fan of that track, and not feeling this one much either."

@japanbonustrack (4.5) — "It's too Céline for me."​

Yeah, 'Never Forget You' got done wrong here. It's not earth-shattering, but is it really only the 70th best song of Mariah's early discog? That's a no, from me.

Also, I really like both versions, but the radio edit was always fascinating to me. To be honest, it's kind of a messy mix overall, but the interesting thing about it is that you hear some seeds of where Daydream would go in that version... probaly more so than most other songs Music Box.

It was the right time for "Never Forget You." It was Mariah on adult contemporary autopilot.

I'm so worried for "Breakdown" now, jesus. I thought it might be a Top 5 contender and people are already calling for its elimination?

The Butterfly album is her magnum opus & crowning career achievement and anyone who can't see that is officially disowned from the lambily.

I also wasn't aware of that radio mix before and it's definitely interesting take on that schmaltzy ballad. It's actually quite nice.

Speaking of elimination itself, I'm not so bothered about it.

She/Her
I genuinely had no idea that "Never Forget You" was released alongside "Without You." It's out about thirty places too early, I'd say.

I'm so worried for "Breakdown" now, jesus. I thought it might be a Top 5 contender and people are already calling for its elimination?

"Breakdown" and "The Roof" have always been weirdly underscored in rates here. I'm going to keep hoping that doesn't happen this time around.

I adore Never Forget You! Having just heard the single edit I have to say i prefer the album version. Also regarding the double A side...I know it was advertised on the single cover but I have never ever heard it on the radio or anywhere other than Music Box. I'm losing much loved songs left, right and centre here.