The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Who else attempts to mimic that 'All In Your Mind' whistle run?!

'There's Got To Be A Way' is one of her most dated tracks, at least musically. These days I tend to listen to the 12" alt version.
It sounds like it would be in the movie Stand By Me. It would play as they students work on getting along with each other.

42.png

All the magic's gone
There's just a shadow of a memory
Something just went wrong
We can't go on make-believing

y8qG3KE.gif[

"I Don't Wanna Cry"

You'll be happy to hear that around the #1's Vegas residency Mariah said having to revisit this track made her like it again!

41.png

Let it all fade away
Don't you know the love is gone, it's too late
Everything fades away
Nothing ever stays the same, baby

everythingfadesaway.png

"Everything Fades Away"

A TRAVESTY.

Should have been top 20!

Enough with the Debut cuts! Only a matter of time until you hit some of my favourites, you already got I Don't Wanna Cry and All In Your Mind. Go somewhere else.

And the second track from the debut album to fall today is . . .

39.png

Your silence
Whispering misunderstandings
There's so much you need to realize
You'll feel my emotions if you look in my eyes

allinyourmind.png

"All In Your Mind"

@Jimmyandroid (9) — "I was once mugged whilst listening to this song. He stole my CD Walkman from me; I asked if I could keep the CD." (omg did he let you keep it??)

He did!

I think I actually prefer the way she sung 'I Don't Wanna Cry' on the Daydream tour. The note placements just sound better for some reason?

Unfortunately, it's time to cut another 11 . . .

38.png

I'll be there to protect you
With an unselfish love that respects you
Just call my name
And I'll be there

FmlcrmP.gif

"I'll Be There"

featuring Trey Lorenz

Score: 7.828
High scores: 11×1 (@Maria), 10×11 (@P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @EricG1990, @Daniel_O, @Tigerlily, @Sprockrooster, @Pinky25, @londonrain, @Slice of Life, @Lapras, @Blond), 9×8 (@Music Is Life, @GimmeWork, @Womanizer, @AdzBrown, @pop3blow2, @Remorque, @Sail On, @Oceandrive)
Low scores: 3×1 (@Ana Raquel), 4×1 (@soratami), 5×6 (@The Hot Rock, @nikkysan, @CasuallyCrazed, @lalaclairi_, @evilsin, @RainOnFire)
My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #17, 9.15 avg.
10 ballots: #32, 8.475 avg.
15 ballots: #23, 8.75 avg.
20 ballots: #18, 8.863 avg.
25 ballots: #27, 8.31 avg.
30 ballots: #30, 8.208 avg.
35 ballots: #37, 7.871 avg.
40 ballots: #35, 7.925 avg.
45 ballots: #36, 7.867 avg.
50 ballots: #37, 7.84 avg.
55 ballots: #36, 7.882 avg.
60 ballots: #40, 7.808 avg.
61 ballots: #38, 7.828 avg.

Our second 11 to fall is Mariah's cover of the Jackson 5 1970 US #1 hit, "I'll Be There". Its lyrics and music were written by Hal Davis, Berry Gordy, Willie Hutch, and Bob West and Mariah's cover was arranged and produced by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff. "I'll Be There" was released as the lead single from Mariah's first live EP "MTV Unplugged" on May 26, 1992. The single was a huge success worldwide, peaking at #1 in the US, Canada, the Netherlands, and New Zealand; #2 in the UK; #3 in Ireland; #4 in Belgium; #9 in Australia; #10 in Norway; and #16 in France - and sold over 1.01 million physical copies worldwide during its original chart run.

My mom used to always tell me that she would listen to this song while she was pregnant with me, but today I found out that the single didn't even come out until four days before I was born, so now I'm wondering if she got this song mixed up with something else... or maybe she just listened to it a lot in those four days dddd. Still, that story has always made me really love this song so much that not even the M*chael J*ckson connection could ruin it for me.​

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "This was the song that kicked off Mariah's imperial phase in the UK, with 5 years of 12 back to back top 10 hits to follow. It also proved to the world that Mariah Carey was NO studio gimmick, and that voice, is all down to her and no one else. As a result, a 10 and nothing less."

@EricG1990 (10) — "MTV Unplugged version of Someday is also superior."

@Sprockrooster (10) — "A soulful duet like this suits her so damn well."

@londonrain (10) — "I have so much sentimental attachment to this. It was the first Mariah video I ever saw and I remember my best friend writing lyrics from it in my yearbook. An inspired choice of cover."

@Music Is Life (9) — "She sounds so gorgeous live! Trey sounds great too! I really enjoyed this."

@Womanizer (9) — "I honestly prefer this over the original."

@pop3blow2 (9) — A cover that is almost as good as the original, if not better. Trey Lorenz's part is great. I could write a whole essay about how I think Mariah's unplugged saved pop music in the early 90's. The short version is that coming off the Milli-Vanilli debacle of a 'best new artist' winning that award by not singing. Mariah's tour de force performance of her music in that settings was huge for the industry, at a time when public taste was leaning towards authenticity in music. It was actually a pretty brave thing for her do, since she was really not super comfortable singing live yet."

@Oceandrive (9) — "Shout out to the good sis Treyc for really coming through with the vocals here, even if he remains relegated to a few ooh's and ahh's in the 20+ years that have come since a gig is a gig. This is the definitive version of I'll Be There."

@DominoDancing (8.5) — "I mean... you give Mariah a good song to perform, and she'll do it justice. So this is really quite good."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "Lovely cover version. Vocally strong and confident."

@Jimmyandroid (8) — "First Mariah song I ever heard. It was on the end of year charts from 1992. Always enjoy this on tour but it's not a go to track for me."

@Imagineitwasus (8) — "Exquisite vocals and a great duet."

@godspeed (8) — "I tend to forget this song even exists and is one of her many #1s. Craziest part is that I really love this cover and the collaboration with Trey Lorenz. The chemistry between Mariah and him works perfectly and makes this song and performance even more special. Uplifting and beautiful duet. (and since it's the only song on the glorious MTV Unplugged album we'll rate, I have to point out that it's a shame Mariah didn't record more live albums because this one is among her best work)"

@Veeis (8) — "Amazing cover, a deserved #1 really."

@If You Go (7.5) — "Still can't believe she sent a live cover to #1. She sounds gorgeous on it, I love how gentle her voice is on it. I don't really care for Trey Lorenz's voice though, kind of wish it was a solo song."

@mokitsu (7) — "It's a cute little track but it holds no candle to some of the amazing live renditions of her own songs from the Unplugged session."

@Seventeen Days (7) — "A serviceable cover of The Jackson 5. I grew up listening to the original, so that one is hard to beat, but Mariah does a damn good job on this."

@abael (6) — "A cover typical of Mariah. Polished, but not outstanding."​

37.png

I never knew
If I could believe in you
I thought I was just a diversion
And you were killing some time

nowthatiknow.png

"Now That I Know"

Score: 7.839
High scores: 10×7 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Ana Raquel, @BEST FICTION, @londonrain, @Lapras, @Oleander, @Sail On), 9.4×1 (@pop3blow2), 9×15 (@Music Is Life, @The Hot Rock, @tylerc904, @Maria, @AdzBrown, @ohaimanabu, @abael, @soratami, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @Hurricane Drunk, @evilsin, @DominoDancing, @codecat, @Posh Spears)
Low scores: 3×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 5×5 (@godspeed, @japanbonustrack, @lalaclairi_, @If You Go, @PayMe), 6×6 (@P'NutButter, @Jimmyandroid, @Tigerlily, @Sprockrooster, @Mushroom, @mokitsu)
My score: 8.5

5 ballots: #47 (tied), 8.1 avg.
10 ballots: #48, 7.9 avg.
15 ballots: #45 (tied), 8.067 avg.
20 ballots: #46, 7.9 avg.
25 ballots: #37, 8.12 avg.
30 ballots: #36, 8.063 avg.
35 ballots: #41, 7.769 avg.
40 ballots: #41, 7.773 avg.
45 ballots: #39, 7.826 avg.
50 ballots: #41, 7.763 avg.
55 ballots: #41, 7.794 avg.
60 ballots: #37, 7.861 avg.
61 ballots: #37, 7.839 avg.

"Now That I Know" is the sixth track from Mariah's third studio album, "Music Box. Its lyrics were written by solely by Mariah, and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah, Robert Clivillés, and David Cole (aka C+C Music Factory).

Out of all of Mariah's C+C Music Factory collabs, this is the one that sounds the most like an actual C+C Music Factory track to me. It's super fun and a lil funky in that early-'90s house track kind of way that I personally love. It's not exactly a standout in Mariah's stellar discography imo, but it's still a helluva bop. The saxy bits are great, too.​

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "One word. TUNE! The strongest album track from the whole of Music Box for me, this is just house heaven from start to finish!!"

@Ana Raquel (10) — "A bop after three ballads what a blessing."

@BEST FICTION (10) — "My cousin introduced me to this song when I wasn't familiar with Mariah's earlier albums, and I would find myself singing it every now and then. It's become an all time favourite now."

@londonrain (10) — "Yas give me those C+C Music Factory vibes. I loved her work with Clivillés and Cole."

@pop3blow2 (9.4) — "This goes pretty hard & is the bop the album needed here. Not quite 'single' potential, but definitely not just filler."

@Music Is Life (9) — "The intro made me expect another ballad, but they thankfully break that streak with this up-tempo dance song. It was smart of them to put this smack in the middle of the ballads, as it keeps my interest, and breaks the mood up. This is a really fun, and cute, but not cheesy love song lyrically, and her vocals are as great as always."

@The Hot Rock (9) — "A pleasant surprise of a bop in a sea of ballads (at least up to this point in the album)."

@tylerc904 (9) — "The album probably needed one more club moment but oh well this totally pops off."

@abael (9) — "Brilliant track that is sadly held back by some aged instrumentation choices."

@evilsin (9) — "This sounds very 90s and massive in all the good ways. The sax is such a nice addition as well."

@DominoDancing (9) — "Catchy. Really, really catchy. The production really is hopelessly generic 90s dance though."

@Posh Spears (9) — "Bawppp."

@bonnieetclyde (8) — "sounds like it would have been a good single option. Great energy and vibe. Another track that sounds like something lifted from the first few Whitney albums."

@GimmeWork (8) — "Not even mad at the Sonic The Hedgehog sound effects."

@Imagineitwasus (8) — "Another uplifting moment."

@Womanizer (7.5) — "Incredibly dated."

@Seventeen Days (7.5) — "Some 90s house goodness. A bit by-the-numbers, but still boppable."

@Veeis (7.5) — "I used to hate it but it grew up on me eventually. Really good bop."

@godspeed (5) — "This song shows a different and much more upbeat side of Mariah, which is quite necessary at this point on the Music Box album, but it doesn't really do the trick for me. It's kind of a fun throwback and it shows Mariah's versatility but that's about it for me."​

She/her
I knew I was going to lose I’ll Be There before the top 30. I stand by giving it an 11. It was a toss up between it and My All but I thought My All will have a few 11s. It’s one of my favourite songs ever and it’s so much better than the original.

I’m disappointed about Now That I Know as well.