The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

londonrain

Staff member
I’ve enjoyed catching up on the rate last night and this morning, which has inspired me to listen to more Mariah as I do so.

I’ve been learning a lot too, especially as a newer fan. I knew Mariah co-wrote her songs but I didn’t realise just how many she wrote alone. Her talent.
Well, she frequently does the vocal arrangement and lyrics on her own (hence why the ones that are her own tend to feature quite distinctive vocabulary compared to her covers) but because she’s not a proficient instrumentalist she always works with someone else to get the music written.

Are Breakdown and Fourth of July still in it? That run from Fourth of July-Close My Eyes all needs to clear out.
The hell?
tenor.gif

Fantasy Remix is one of the greatest, most groundbreaking songs of all time. Some of y'all best never get out of jail (I'm going to do a remix). Bad Boy Fantasy, had it been in the rate, would have been my 11, but the remix itself is incredible on its own.

And Whenever You Call is the best vocal ever put to track. Period.

A mess.

One Sweet Day, has to be at least top 5. It really is just such a masterpiece I think.
I’m surprised the ballad-haters haven’t torpedoed One Sweet Day already, tbh.

It’s a great song but I’d say she has a lot of solo tracks (including a number of eliminated songs) that are better.
Time for me to get this tired meme ready...
giphy.gif
Not a ballad-hater at all though. Music Box got my highest average, dammit!

I’m not a ballad hater but I’m more here for the plaintive lovelorn Mariah ballads (My All, And You Don’t Remember, I Still Believe, Til The End Of Time, Without You) than I am for the more ‘inspirational’ ones (Hero, When You Believe, One Sweet Day). That’s not to say I don’t enjoy the latter category on occasion; she just excels when it comes to those yearning for a lost love songs for me.

I’m surprised the ballad-haters haven’t torpedoed One Sweet Day already, tbh.

It’s a great song but I’d say she has a lot of solo tracks (including a number of eliminated songs) that are better.

It's going to ride high solely because of the nostalgia factor, but honestly it's always been my least favorite track on Daydream. I almost always skip it when it comes on.