The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

It's hard to be mad at When You Believe 'because it could have been more' (a point I don't disagree with), when it was already everything.

Whilst I thoroughly disagree with the placing of some songs that are outlasting these two, and some songs they themselves have outlasted, these scores seem about right.

She/Her
Mariah and Whitney have amazing voices, yes, but I think they're completely wasted on that song, which has always seemed generically "inspirational" and dull to me. Apologies to the many, many of you who love it, but I didn't get it in 1998 and I don't get it now. And this is coming from someone who loves "One Sweet Day," which feels far more genuine and heartfelt in its message, so I promise, I'm not an all-out ballad hater!

I am full agreement, however, on the wonderfulness of "Melt Away" and its magical last thirty seconds.

When You Believe is my first 10/10 to leave, I gave out 8 x 10/10 plus my 11/10. Just checked my scores and every album had 1 x 10/10 except Music Box and Butterfly which both had 2 x 10/10. I adore When You Believe and have never got sick of it.

He/Him
Though I am nowhere near the highest scorer or the lowest Melt Away is a gorgeous track. Mariah sounds fucking magnificent and the production's fantastic, but... there's so much incredible stuff left, so I really can't complain.

I've got a few errands to run, so the results will start a bit late, but here's a hint about today's cuts to hold you over:

today's cuts are actually very similar to yesterday's in that the first out is a single that received over 20 tens but no 11s, and the second cut is an album track that got less 10s but did receive a couple of 11s.

any guesses?