The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

We're cutting two 11s right off the bat today . . .

20.png

Time after time I reach for you
Try and I try, but you're so aloof
Where is the boy that you used to be
Baby, you're slipping away from me

slippingaway.png

"Slipping Away"

Score: 8.387
High scores: 11×2 (@BreatheBox, @PayMe), 10×17 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @The Hot Rock, @Imagineitwasus, @ohaimanabu, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @japanbonustrack, @If You Go, @londonrain, @Love Deluxe, @Lapras, @Mushroom, @LeBratt, @Oleander, @Oceandrive, @vague), 9.6×1 (@Womanizer), 9.5×3 (@nikkysan, @godspeed, @ysev)
Low scores: 1.5×1 (@CasuallyCrazed), 4×1 (@Ana Raquel), 5×1 (@Cowboystyle)
My score: 10

5 ballots: #27 (tied), 8.9 avg.
10 ballots: #22, 8.86 avg.
15 ballots: #21, 8.773 avg.
20 ballots: #27, 8.555 avg.
25 ballots: #23, 8.364 avg.
30 ballots: #23, 8.353 avg.
35 ballots: #24, 8.274 avg.
40 ballots: #25, 8.303 avg.
45 ballots: #18, 8.469 avg.
50 ballots: #19, 8.442 avg.
55 ballots: #21, 8.402 avg.
60 ballots: #21, 8.360 avg.
61 ballots: #20, 8.387 avg.

"Slipping Away" is the b-side to "Always Be My Baby", the third single from Mariah's fifth studio album "Daydream". Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah and it was composed, arranged, and produced by Mariah and Dave "Jam" Hall. Dave Hall is a prolific '90s R&B producer who, aside from his work production work on Mariah's #1 singles "Dreamlover" and "Fantasy", is known for his work with Mary J. Blige ("You Remind Me"), Joe ("Baby Don't Stop"), Usher ("The Many Ways"), Madonna ("Human Nature"), and CeCe Peniston ("Movin' On"), among many others.

Collectively, we've decided this is Mariah's best b-side. And honestly? It is. Tommy Mottola should be tried for crimes against music for denying this song its place on "Daydream" like it deserved. I hope Mariah sticks this on streaming one day so more people can discover theeee ultimate hidden gem of her discography.​

@BreatheBox (11) — "so good...."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "Ok, so why on earth wasn't this on Daydream??! One thing I always have thought that album needed, was a couple more jams in its place, and this was tailor made for it. A flawless in her prime vocal performance, and the song itself, is such a fantastic combination of mid 90's R&B, hip hip, soul, funk and gospel. Just perfection all round."

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "Made special by its elusiveness (I had to get my cousin to bring me the CD single back from the US) but also just a great song."

@Imagineitwasus (10) — "The sheer amount of smoothness in this is unparalleled. The definition of an effortless R&B bop."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "Definition of smooth!"

@Pinky25 (10) — "This should have been in the album. Very Mary J Blige. I just read that the song is actually written about her first marriage which is sad. The song really should've been included on DayDream and it's so mid 90's. I love it."

@japanbonustrack (10) — "Absolutely gorgeous."

@If You Go (10) — "It was a crime that this was left off Daydream!"

@londonrain (10) — "I've loved this since I first heard it and it's a shame it was relegated to being a B-side. Release a B-sides compilation, Sony!"

@godspeed (9.5) — "I'm not even gonna start in the 'why wasn't this included on Daydream?!!' conversation because Daydream is, in my opinion, a flawless album as it is but yes, 'Slipping Away' would have sounded perfect right after 'Long Ago.' This b-side is stunning, it's to me Mariah's best b-side and really does feel like more than that because of its quality and what a strong album track it could have been. Mariah in the mid-90s experimenting with a more hip hop-infused sound and embracing the R&B music of that time was a moment and I am glad this little gem exists and proves how at home Mariah feels on that type of production."

@ysev (9.5) — "This really should've made the album or at least been put on streaming services. A beautifully lush song that reminds me a bit of En Vogue."

@pop3blow2 (9) — "She doesn't have many pure b-sides, but I always thought the ones she had were really interesting. I mean, this could've easily been a single, much less left off the album completely."

@Posh Spears (9) — "I'm humiliated I didn't know of this before the rate haha. So cute."

@Music Is Life (8.5) — "This is fine. Enjoyable, but not a necessary song to have. Still, I'm adding it to the album."

@mokitsu (8) — "Obviously it was a travesty that this didn't make Daydream, would have been another great song."

@abael (7) — "Well performed and produced, but isn't an especially memorable part of Mariah's discog."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Nice jam, just a bit... unimpressive?"​

RainOnFire

Staff member
I feel like Prisoner's time left is short, but I'm so proud of it for making the Top 20.

I can also see All I Want for Christmas Is You winning the whole thing; I agree with everyone saying that it's pretty much impossible to give it a low score. It's a little frustrating but I've already accepted that it'll happen.

Prisoner should have gone before Slipping Away and that’s just that on that.

I am proud of Slipping Away for getting this far though. It is the definition of sublime and I don’t think Mariahs buttery tone has ever sounded better ad-libbing over that time after time i reach for you hook. A ten in every sense.