The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.1 • FINISHED

Surprisingly, the two songs left in the rate without any 11s both made the top 10 . . .

We're cutting one of them right now . . .

10.png

I don't want another pretender, no
To disillusion me one more time
Whispering words of forever
Playing with my mind, no no

2a1QNMW.gif

"Dreamlover"

Score: 9.143
High scores: 10×31 (@Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @GimmeWork, @The Hot Rock, @EricG1990, @tylerc904, @Maria, @ohaimanabu, @JamesJupiter, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @pop3blow2, @japanbonustrack, @CasuallyCrazed, @Hurricane Drunk, @lalaclairi_, @If You Go, @londonrain, @Lapras, @DominoDancing, @Seventeen Days, @Veeis, @Oleander, @Blond, @Remorque, @codecat, @Posh Spears, @Sail On, @Island, @Oceandrive, @vague), 9.75×1 (@Love Deluxe), 9.5×3 (@P'NutButter, @Jimmyandroid, @LeBratt)
Low scores: 6×2 (@abael, @Aester), 7×4 (@playboy69, @Tigerlily, @mokitsu, @PayMe), 8×7 (@Daniel_O, @soratami, @nikkysan, @godspeed, @ysev, @evilsin, @Lost In Japan.)
My score: 10

5 ballots: #14, 9.300 avg.
10 ballots: #10, 9.350 avg.
15 ballots: #8, 9.400 avg.
20 ballots: #9, 9.250 avg.
25 ballots: #10, 9.100 avg.
30 ballots: #10 (tied), 9.033 avg.
35 ballots: #9, 9.114 avg.
40 ballots: #11, 9.063 avg.
45 ballots: #12, 9.061 avg.
50 ballots: #12, 8.995 avg.
55 ballots: #11, 9.077 avg.
60 ballots: #10, 9.129 avg.
61 ballots: #10, 9.143 avg.

"Dreamlover" was released as the lead single from Mariah's third studio album, "Music Box", on July 27, 1993. Its lyrics were written solely by Mariah, it was composed by Mariah and Dave Hall, arranged by Mariah and Walter Afanasieff, and produced by Mariah, Walter Afanasieff, and Dave Hall. The track's instrumental is built around a loop taken from The Emotions ' "Blind Alley".

"Dreamlover" debuted at #12 on the Hot 100 in the US before eventually peaking at #1 for eight consecutive weeks, becoming her seventh #1 single. It also peaked in the top ten in several other territories, including Canada (#1), New Zealand (#2), Portugal (#2), Australia (#7), the Netherlands (#8), and the UK (#9). The single has sold 1.37 million physical copies worldwide in total, 935k of which were sold in the US.

I'm honestly a little surprised this managed to reach the top 10 of the rate, since I can't recall a single person mentioning it even one time in the thread??? Obviously, it's a classic, but I guess it's just a little overshadowed by her other singles and fan fave album cuts... It seems like a lot of us like it, but it's no one's favorite song here.

A few years ago I sort of rediscovered my love for this after not listening to it for a few years, and it was literally the only Mariah track I listened to for months on end. I guess I sort of burned myself out on it again, because I didn't really listen to it again - it popping up on shuffle occasionally aside - until scoring for the rate... and I fell in love with it all over again ddd. This feels like the first time Mariah really got to incorporate the music she loves into her own work, and that alone warrants "Dreamlover" a high score in my opinion.​

@Music Is Life (10) — "The intro is very misleading, I thought this would be a ballad, rather than the pop/R&B dance jam that it is, but I am not complaining. Really catchy and fun, had me moving in no time."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "From that slow build intro, to that fist hearing of the forever iconic whistle note, you just know this will be a delight to listen too! Perhaps the most happy and unashamedly carefree single (if not song) that Mariah's ever done, Dreamlover, gives you an instant Summer feeling even if it's cold and grey outside too. A song so feel good and cheerful, they should bottle it and sell it! One of my 3 contenders for my #11 too, so in short ranks very high in my estimations."

@GimmeWork (10) — "For Xmas my parents got me membership in her fan club and one of the perks was these stills from the Dreamlover video shoot and I was way too young to really appreciate them but one of them was just Mimi and Jack which led to months of me begging my parents for a jack russell puppy. As an adult I know some that write this off as Amy Grant-ish soft serve, but darling they are wrong and I bop to it constantly." (did you get the puppy??)

@The Hot Rock (10) — "Another incredible opening track, whew."

@tylerc904 (10) — "It's weird because this was so massive in the U.S. and I've been aware of it my whole life, but it's her only 90's lead I occasionally forget about. It's absolutely fantastic and I live for every second when I revisit, but when I think of her best leads I always think of Fantasy, Honey, Vision, Emotions and Heartbreak before this."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "The prototype for her urban pop, and still so sweet and catchy."

@Pinky25 (10) — "It's so light and breezy."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "that was a classic.gif Honestly though, this is a real CLASSIC. It never gets old, and I honestly think it gets even better with time."

@pop3blow2 (10) — "Whew. For me this where my Mariah fandom spiraled to the stratosphere. This was during the 'alternative rock' takeover of music (including a lot of the top 40) & I loved a lot of that stuff. But I was also obsessed with Mariah & Music Box (much to friends chagrin... as I think it was soooo uncool to love Mariah as much as I did in my circle of friends at the time.) Mariah's ability to still dominate in such a climate just showed what a force she was to me. Dreamlover is just one of those perfect pop songs & pop moments. The video was iconic & her vocal is simply stunning on song that bops harder than most anything of its era."

@londonrain (10) — "Pure joy. Everything about this is just such utter happiness."

@DominoDancing (10) — "Breezy, catchy chorus, the whistle notes on the post chorus hook. Lovely, lovely, lovely."

@Seventeen Days (10) — "Bopriah bringing it again with the 90s jams. How many times can I use the word 'classic' in this rate? "

@Veeis (10) — "What a fun lead single, I loved it from the very beginning."

@Blond (10) — "I love this shift in sound and this was clearly the blueprint for so many of her huge uptempo hits. A perfect summery bop."

@Oceandrive (10) — "If I followed Mariah's career chronologically then this is the single where she really became an interesting prospect as she hints at the artist that would emerge from the cocoon in a few years. The Blind Alley sample is an inspired choice and it still holds up in 2019 that organ sounds so good on a hot summers day. I personally favor the remix that samples Juicy (Shoutout to @Mushroom) A classic."

@Jimmyandroid (9.5) — "I love that she's only just married him but is already begging to be rescued from Tommy Mottola. I enjoy the somewhat understated (for Mariah) vocal on this one."

@Womanizer (9) — "My first ~favorite~ song by her."

@Imagineitwasus (9) — "Tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu oo-ooooo-ooo-ooh baybayy."

@BreatheBox (9) — "one of her best leads."

@bonnieetclyde (8.5) — "this felt like the start of the Mariah we know and love. More R&B/hip-hop influences seeping into the music and more confidence in her performance."

@godspeed (8) — "Along with 'Can't Let Go,' this is one of my first memories of Mariah Carey so it brings back a few nice memories. It's a very lovely song that, I believe, showed at the time a different side of Mariah musically. I also want to point out that it appears to me as the first of a string of lead singles that were in a similar upbeat old school R&B/hip hop influenced vein, if that makes any sense! For short: without 'Dreamlover' we probably would have never gotten 'Fantasy,' 'Heartbreaker' and 'Loverboy' so I'm forever grateful to this song for that."

@ysev (8) — "The song sounds so wholesome ddd. It's the sort of song you could listen with your family during a road trip and everyone just whips along. It's very adult contemporary without sounding 'plain'."

@mokitsu (7) — "A cute bop but probably my least favourite Mariah lead single. It's funny that the two re-hashes of this song (Fantasy and Heartbreaker) are far superior."

@abael (6) — "A bit saccharine. Her whistle is impressive, but not as part of a backing track."​

@GimmeWork (10) — "For Xmas my parents got me membership in her fan club and one of the perks was these stills from the Dreamlover video shoot and I was way too young to really appreciate them but one of them was just Mimi and Jack which led to months of me begging my parents for a jack russell puppy. As an adult I know some that write this off as Amy Grant-ish soft serve, but darling they are wrong and I bop to it constantly." (did you get the puppy??)
I did NOT get the puppy. My parents wisely waited until I was a bit older to get me a dog and it was not a jack russell, it was a rescue and such a great dog but I won't lie a small part of me still wants a jack russell all these years later...dddd. Mariah HA POWER!!

Every song left has gotten multiple 11s, except for one . . .

But can that one outlast y'all's faves?

Nope.

9.png

I've realized a dream, mhmm
And I visualized the love that came to be
Feel so alive, I'm so thankful that I've received
The answer that heaven has sent down to me

p8zLsFi.gif

"Vision Of Love"

Score: 9.148
High scores: 10×36 (@Music Is Life, @P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Jimmyandroid, @GimmeWork, @tylerc904, @Maria, @Imagineitwasus, @ohaimanabu, @JamesJupiter, @Sprockrooster, @Pinky25, @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @pop3blow2, @Robsolete, @japanbonustrack, @CasuallyCrazed, @Hurricane Drunk, @lalaclairi_, @londonrain, @Aester, @Love Deluxe, @BreatheBox, @Lapras, @PayMe, @Lost In Japan., @LeBratt, @Veeis, @Oleander, @Remorque, @codecat, @Posh Spears, @Sail On, @RainOnFire, @Island), 9.5×2 (@AdzBrown, @Cowboystyle), 9.3×1 (@Womanizer)
Low scores: 4×1 (@playboy69), 5×1 (@Ana Raquel), 6×1 (@Daniel_O)
My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #38 (tied), 8.550 avg.
10 ballots: #16, 8.955 avg.
15 ballots: #14, 9.070 avg.
20 ballots: #12, 9.053 avg.
25 ballots: #12, 8.882 avg.
30 ballots: #12, 8.985 avg.
35 ballots: #10, 9.087 avg.
40 ballots: #9, 9.076 avg.
45 ballots: #10, 9.112 avg.
50 ballots: #10, 9.091 avg.
55 ballots: #9, 9.119 avg.
60 ballots: #8, 9.193 avg.
61 ballots: #9, 9.148 avg.

"Vision Of Love" was released as Mariah's debut single on May 15, 1990. Its lyrics and music were written by Mariah and Ben Margulies and it was produced by Rhett Lawrence and Narada Michael Walden. The single debuted at #73 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart the week after it was released and, nine weeks later, climbed to #1 for four consecutive weeks. It would end the year as the sixth biggest song on Billboard's Hot 100 Year End chart for 1990. "Vision Of Love" was also a success in several other territories: it peaked at #1 in Canada and New Zealand, #8 in the Netherlands, #9 in Australia and the UK, #10 in Ireland, #14 in Belgium, #17 in Germany and Sweden, #24 in Switzerland, and #25 in France, and has sold 1.78 million copies in total worldwide. "Vision Of Love" won Mariah a Grammy Award for the Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 33rd annual ceremony on February 20, 1991.

Mariah explained to Ebony magazine in 1991 that the song's lyrics are autobiographical in nature: "Consider the lyrics: 'Prayed through the nights / Felt so alone / Suffered from alienation / Carried the weight on my own / Had to be strong / So I believed / And now I know I've succeeded / In finding the place I conceived'. Well, just because you are young doesn't mean that you haven't had a hard life. It's been difficult for me, moving around so much, having to grow up by myself, basically on my own, my parents divorced. And I always felt kind of different from everyone else in my neighborhoods. I was a different person ethnically and sometimes that can be a problem. If you look a certain way everybody goes, 'White girl,' and I'd go, 'No, that's not what I am' ... You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, 'I'm proud of what I am and who I am, and I'm just going to be myself'."

The song is often credited as having influenced many of the popstars who have debuted in the years following its release, such as Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, and Rihanna, among countless others. Beyoncé has said, "Mariah is the person that made me want to sing", and has cited "Vision Of Love" in particular as inspiring her melisma-heavy singing style.

Is this song a stone-cold classic? Absolutely. But, as iconic as it is, I've just never really found myself drawn to it enough to actually listen to it very often... At the same time, I can't deny the sheer brilliance of releasing it as Mariah's debut single, as well as the huge impact it had on pop music as a whole, but compared to what came later, I couldn't allow myself to give this a 10. I am glad it made the top 10 of our rate just based on how prolific it is, though.​

@Music Is Life (10) — "Perfect opener. A mid-tempo ballad that shows off her voice and sets the tone of the album. Iconic debut single as well."

@P'NutButter (10) — "One of the finest debut singles, ever."

@WhatKindOfKylie? (10) — "The song that introduced an unsuspecting world to the genuis that is Mariah Carey way back in 1990, it's hard to believe that Vision Of Love will be celebrating it's Pearl anniversary next year too. The greatest Debut single of all time, and the strongest moment too of the greatest Debut album of all time to match, Vision Of Love still manages to sound other worldy all these years on. A song that launched the career of the one the greatest and one of my most beloved artists of all time, it really is a pure Vision indeed."

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "First heard this when watching 'Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden' and it was love at first listen."

@GimmeWork (10) — "Such an impressive debut. Just classic. Even my friends that weren't born when it released stan it enough to truly butcher it on karaoke nights. Eeeeckkk."

@tylerc904 (10) — "Timeless, classic and truly a moment."

@Imagineitwasus (10) — "What a stellar debut."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "Straight out of the gate, my Mariah bias is going to be showing. This song remains one of the most legendary debut singles of all time. Never fails to give me chills."

@Pinky25 (10) — "I can understand why this song is so beloved. It's deserving of all its praise."

@nikkysan (10) — "What really needs to be said? An iconic song and one of the best debut singles for a pop girl EVER."

@pop3blow2 (10) — "Possibly the greatest debut pop single of all-time. I was completely mesmerized the first time I heard this song. I was in sixth grade. If this song got all the 11's I would simply say, 'it's what she deserves.'"

@japanbonustrack (10) — "One of the greatest songs of all time, a classic."

@lalaclairi_ (10) — "Perfect beginning to Mariah's career."

@BreatheBox (10) — "one of the most perfect debut single of all time, what a fucking statement."

@Veeis (10) — "Well this is a ten just because it's one of the greatest debut singles of all time. Divine."

@Posh Spears (10) — "No combination of words can articulate this level of excellence..."

@The Hot Rock (9) — "This warmed even my bitter ass heart a bit."

@Tigerlily (9) — "The pulsing synths. The vocals. THE DRAMA. The perfect debut single for Mariah and despite being 30 years old it doesn't sound dated at all."

@bonnieetclyde (8.5) — "doesn't strike you as 'obvious first single' but it's a real earworm and obviously that belting ending is what everyone is waiting for when performed live."

@ysev (8.5) — "An iconic debut! The song is the foundation her career and music have been built on, and a vocal blueprint for any female vocalist to come after her. Legendary."

@evilsin (8.5) — "'Vision Of Love' perfectly showcases Mariah's capabilities, so I'm all for it being her first single."

@Seventeen Days (8.5) — "This was one of those tracks that just seemed to come out of nowhere. It's not hard to see why this was such a hit though - if there's anything the public loves, it's a good ballad."

@godspeed (8) — "It seems almost silly to have to rate and to comment on this monument that is 'Vision Of Love' ... so I'll just say that even though it's not necessarily one of my favorite Mariah Carey songs, its power and genius are undeniable. (especially when that opening line pops in)"

@DominoDancing (8) — "Expertly performed pop ballad, it's always fun to go back to her early work and the more belty vocal style. The song itself is fine, but not my favourite of her ballads."

@mokitsu (8) — "Sonically, I think VOL lacks a little something to make it a 10/10 - but it's one of Mariah's most magical vocal performances, only she could make this into such a masterpiece."

@abael (7) — "I don't know if it's the composition, or simply isn't as powerful of an opener I would've liked."

@Blond (7) — "Okay hear me out y'all. It's a classic, it's a hugely important song in her career but it leaves me a little bit cold. The best was certainly yet to come, but it was a cute way to start."

@Oceandrive (6.5) — "The opening instrumental is the sound of God sending his finest creation to come and step on the nineties girls necks. I have to confess I never listen to this song, but I do enjoy it as a live performance because she always seems super comfortable singing it."​

Last edited:
fgdscfgd my internet is acting up tonight, so I thought that cut didn't post and I was about to pop off for a sec, but I refreshed and it showed up, whew. that's not why the elimination is so late tho; i fell asleep after work ddddd sorry!!

anyway! I hope y'all don't mind, but I kind of want to get this rate finished by the end of this week, so I'll be posting two cuts a day until we reach our ~grand finale~ on Friday eveningish. that good with everybody, y/y?

here's what's left~
  • Emotions
  • All I Want For Christmas Is You
  • Fantasy
  • Always Be My Baby
  • Honey
  • My All
  • The Roof
  • Breakdown

tell me the order y'all think the rest of the cuts will go, please?? I'm really curious if anyone can guess the order 100% correctly.

tell me the order y'all think the rest of the cuts will go, please?? I'm really curious if anyone can guess the order 100% correctly.

Sure! I'll submit a list we can laugh at later.

8. The Roof
7. My All
6. Breakdown
5. Honey
4. Fantasy
3. Emotions
2. Always Be My Baby
1. All I Want For Christmas Is You

I'm not confident in this list at all, but that top 3 in some form might not be insane... right? Haha!