The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50 | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Apr 9, 2020.

1. also can we talk about how nice that artwork is!!! yas!

P'NutButter and vague like this.
  2. The Charmbracelet photoshoot is one of her best, it's just frustrating they chose what is perhaps the worst photo for the album cover.

ysev, nikkysan and vague like this.
  3. [​IMG]

It's beautiful!!!

4. It does look a lot better like this, they shouldn't have cropped it so close.

5. A couple of Mariah covers look better without the close cropping... (Daydream and Music Box, lookin at y'all.)

vague and ysev like this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The insistence on zooming right in on her face on those covers always baffled me.

(Daydream is okay, but Music Box and Charmbracelet... that was just excessive.)

I actually think her best album cover is either Butterfly or Memoirs. They really nailed it there.

Lapras, pop3blow2, RainOnFire and 2 others like this.
  7. ffffffffffffffff I'm sorry for not getting this up yesterday!! I don't even have a good excuse; I just lost track of time playing UncleNeighbor after work ddddd.

so, what's the first #1 single we're losing?

you guys guessed it right off . . .

[​IMG]

See, I was so desolate before you came to me
    Looking back, I guess it shows that we were destined to shine
    Through the rain to appreciate the gift of what we have
    And I'd go through it all over again to be able to feel this way

[​IMG]

"Thank God I Found You"

featuring Joe & 98°

Score: 6.979
    High scores: 10×6 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Coochi, @Pinky25, @Daniel_O, @Slice of Life, @Music Is Life), 9.5×2 (@Holly Something, @M24), 9.25×1 (@Butterfly)
    Low scores: 0×1 (@Ramalama), 1×1 (@P'NutButter), 2×1 (@Lapras)
    My score: 7.5

5 ballots: #75, 5.000 avg.
    10 ballots: #74, 5.570 avg.
    15 ballots: #70, 6.047 avg.
    20 ballots: #68, 6.210 avg.
    25 ballots: #68, 6.258 avg.
    30 ballots: #68, 6.398 avg.
    35 ballots: #68, 6.470 avg.
    40 ballots: #66, 6.643 avg.
    45 ballots: #59, 6.804 avg.
    50 ballots: #58, 6.870 avg.
    55 ballots: #61, 6.850 avg.
    60 ballots: #59, 6.979 avg.

"Thank God I Found You" was released as the second single from Mariah's seventh studio album, "Rainbow", on January 25, 2000. It was written and produced by Mariah, James "Jimmy Jam" Harris III, and Terry Lewis. The song's lyrical content was inspired by her relationship with the singer Luis Miguel and is even dedicated to him in the album's liner notes.

"Thank God I Found You" became Mariah's fifteenth US #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 upon its physical release in January 2000. It also reached the top ten in a few other territories, including Canada (#2), Spain (#6), the UK (#10), but only performed moderately in most territories. The single has sold over physical 930k copies in total since its release, 687k of which were sold solely in the United States.

After spending nearly a decade working almost exclusively with Walter Afanasieff on the majority of her original songs, Mariah's relationship - both personal and professional - soured with him during the recording of her sixth studio album, "Butterfly". As a result, for the first time in her career, Mariah began working with a wider variety of producers and co-songwriters on her follow-up album, "Rainbow". One of her new-found collaborators was the producing duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who were mostly known for their extensive work with Janet Jackson. Before even approaching Jimmy Jam and Terry to collaborate on the track, Mariah already had the song's chorus written: "I had the chorus in my head for so long and I went to Jam and Lewis and I sang it to them and I said, 'Let's write this'."

During their initial meeting, Mariah sang the melody to the duo while Terry Lewis accompanied her on the piano, playing the chords. He elaborated: "It all happened that night. She told us the title of the song, the concept, and sang us the melody. We usually have Big Jim Wright sit in on those kind of sessions to work out the chords. He wasn't there, so I had to work on the chord myself. So, I was playing and there was a part where I said, 'Man, what chord am I supposed to do here?' and Mariah has such a good ear that she sang me the chord."

Once the song was written, Mariah wanted a male vocal on the track to accompany her own. In an interview with MTV, she recounted: "It's like when I was writing 'One Sweet Day'; it really cried out for a group to be singing with me and for a strong male-female thing in terms of going back and forth, vocally." Jimmy Jam and Terry initially wanted R&B duo K-Ci & JoJo on the track, but eventually dropped that idea due to the fact they were signed to a different label. In the end, the duo suggested singer Joe Thomas, who had recently signed with the Sony-owned Jive Records.

In a 2011 interview with MTV, Joe recalled how he was approached to be on the track: "[Mariah] gave me a call, and she was like, 'I would love to do a duet with you. Come by the studio.' When I got there, she played the song for me. I didn't expect to record the song, but when I heard it, I said, 'Man, there's no way I'm going to leave this studio without my voice being on that record.' Everything just happened so fast. I didn't expect for it to be a single or a video. Everything was just great." The boy band 98° was then approached to flesh out the vocal harmonies on the track, and the rest is history.

Like this is cute. Did it deserve to miss the top 40? I guess so, as y'all have decided that's the case. I feel like this would probably be a little better loved if the much, much superior Make It Last remix didn't exist. Honestly, I enjoy this in the context of the "Rainbow" album, but I pretty much never seek it out on its own.

@Coochi (10) — "I know this is sort of basic and a bit late 90s ballad by numbers but I simultaneously love this. Gorgeous verses, catchy chorus."

@Pinky25 (10) — "I don't remember this from childhood but I love it. They sound so sincere; like they really mean it."

@Holly Something (9.5) — "What a tune."

@M24 (9.5) — "Such a beautiful love song. The chorus is pure bliss. I don't know why y'all hate it, from what I read. A 9.5 might be overscoring compared to what's in this rate, but I guess it needs it."

@Butterfly (9.25) — "I really love this song! Sure it was a little trite and basic for her standards at this point but as far as cheesy power ballads go it's the best of the best."

@BreatheBox (8.7) — "8.7 for the Stargate Radio Edit."

@pop3blow2 (8.5) — "98 degrees were once moderately hot enough to scam their way onto a Mariah single. Just think about that. Anyways, this is solid."

@evilsin (8.5) — "This kinda sounds like a better 'One Sweet Day' to me, no? I'm not sure I like the male vocals, but the melodies and harmonies are pretty great."

@londonrain (8) — "As one of the forum's VERY few 98 Degrees stans, I am braced for the disappointment I'm going to feel when this bombs out early. This is cheesy as hell but I still love it."

@RUNAWAY (7) — "this song is so schmaltzy. I do like the chorus, but literally HOW was this a number 1?"

@DominoDancing (7) — "When Mariah does these kinds of collabs, they always turn out a bit too saccharine for my liking, and unfortunately this is no different."

@Oceandrive (6.5) — "The little Piano version she does in Vegas slays vocally, but there is only one Joe collab I care about in her discography, and this ain't it."

@godspeed (6) — "I liked it when I was a kid. Now, I don't know. It gave us a brilliant remix so I'll give a few points to it for that. I also don't think it's bad and can enjoy it at times. It just feels like a bonus track on this album, especially coming right after 'Rainbow (Interlude).'"

@Jimmyandroid (5) — "Her most boring number 1. The best thing about it is the single cover."

@Tigerlily (4) — "Poor it. The remix is the only version I dare to play."

@P'NutButter (1) — "My least favourite Mariah single, I hate it."

@Ramalama (0) — "Damn, Sony couldn't at least pull NSYNC for this?" (no offense but thank god for that!!! i don't want timberlake tainting this discography fffff)

Rem, tylerc904, GimmeWork and 28 others like this.
  8. That leaderboard climb, though! The little single that could, I guess.

Listening to Thank God I Found You makes me feel kind of sad knowing that there was more heartbreak round the corner for Mariah. Removing that context though it does finish off the arc of Rainbow (pun not intended) nicely.

If You Go, londonrain and vague like this.
  9. Truly my least favourite Mariah song of all time. The one point is because without it we'd never have the brilliant remix.

10. I think it’s a beautiful song. I like sentimental songs when they sound genuine. They truly do sound like they are grateful. I don’t remember this at all from being a kid. Not even hearing it now bought up past memories.

If You Go, londonrain and vague like this.
  11. I've genuinely never understood the hatred for it. I'd hardly call it top-tier Mariah but it's a lovely song.

12. One of her worst singles for sure, glad it's out now. The remix is so good though and is pretty much its own song.

13. Scream. That would hardly be an improvement.

vague likes this.
  14. NO! I stan this song and it's a great duel collaboration. Perhaps an odd finale to Rainbow, but still great all the same.

vague, londonrain and Butterfly like this.
  15. Wonderful. I really do love this era so much.

vague and londonrain like this.
  16. Why was she working with D-Listers like 98 Degrees in the first place though?

vague likes this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

They were successful at the time, though. They’d already had two Hot 100 top 5 singles (and a couple of other singles than made the top 15) by the time this came out, and they had a #2 right after it.

vague and Pinky25 like this.
  18. 98 degrees were fairly popular in the very early 00’s in America. They were the more mature counterparts of *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    vague and londonrain like this.
  19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Also, Nick and Jeff had the whole beefcake look that the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC didn’t, so if you were into big muscle guys then they were the boyband to stan.

Blond, Pinky25, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  20. Thank God I Found You, is her most forgotten #1. Would that be fair to say??

vague, londonrain and Pinky25 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.