The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50 | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Apr 9, 2020.

1. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I would say yes along with Someday as she refuses to acknowledge or perform it.

2. Je suis shocked!

vague likes this.
  3. It definitely is. They never play it. Like I said; I don’t even remember it.

vague likes this.
  4. I've actually heard Someday played on the radio (the best version no less) so I'd say I Don't Wanna Cry is more forgotten.

I did not know Thank God I Found You was about Luis Miguel, quite a contrast with After Tonight. No wonder she hates it considering she was very quickly not so thankful.

5. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I can't believe it was in last place for the first 5 ballots ffff what did the song ever do to y'all?!

Count me in with those saying that it's not a career highlight but also definitely not awful either.

6. Yes, it definitely did not deserve to be ranked last at one point.

vague, If You Go and londonrain like this.
  7. Nick Lachey was one of my first celebrity crushes as a confused lil 12 year old dd.

vague and Pinky25 like this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Oh, I had a massive crush on Jeff Timmons back in the day.

[​IMG]

vague, GimmeWork, P'NutButter and 5 others like this.
  9. They never play I Don’t wanna Cry or Love takes time. Vision of love is considered a classic so that does get played from time to time.

vague, If You Go and londonrain like this.
  10. Aww, I liked that one quite a bit, so I'm kinda bummed seeing it go now.

11. All the singles from the debut album, need lots of airplay I think.

vague and Pinky25 like this.
  12. Noooo! I can't believe Thank God I Found You has gone. Is it generic and unoriginal? Yes. Is it better, more memorable, more effective, more catchy than a lot of the other songs that are still in? Yes. There are worse songs from each album in this rate that are still here that should have been gone before this one. I think the fact that it is a number one single makes people judge it more harshly. If it was just an album track, there's no way it would rate as low as this, people could just enjoy it for what it is.

13. I am glad there is a few of us who wished it had hung around longer.

vague, Pinky25 and londonrain like this.
  14. hello hello~ I hope you all had a good weekend (and Monday, too, I guess, since it's pretty much over by now ffff)! I spent most of mine packing up my apartment since I'm moving this week.

but anyway~ what are we eliminating tonight?

it's a Japanese bonus track . . .

[​IMG]

Baby, baby, baby
    Come give it to me, baby
    We got a secret love, darling
    Keep it between us, baby

[​IMG]

"Secret Love"

Score: 6.980
    High scores: 10×2 (@fatyoshi, @If You Go), 9.5×1 (@Rem), 9×4 (@evilsin, @Butterfly, @londonrain, @Music Is Life)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@Imagineitwasus), 3×1 (@Ramalama), 4×1 (@Sprockrooster)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #58, 7.150 avg.
    10 ballots: #66, 6.380 avg.
    15 ballots: #64, 6.587 avg.
    20 ballots: #67, 6.353 avg.
    25 ballots: #67, 6.482 avg.
    30 ballots: #65, 6.495 avg.
    35 ballots: #62, 6.696 avg.
    40 ballots: #63, 6.709 avg.
    45 ballots: #61, 6.786 avg.
    50 ballots: #61, 6.831 avg.
    55 ballots: #62, 6.833 avg.
    60 ballots: #58, 6.980 avg.

"Secret Love" was originally included as one of two Japanese bonus tracks on Mariah's tenth studio album, "The Emancipation of Mimi", and was also later released as the Australian b-side to "Shake It Off". The song was written and produced by Mariah and Kasseem "Swizz Beatz" Dean.

I gotta be honest, I thought this would outlast "Sprung" teebs! I have such nostalgic feelings towards both of the "Mimi" Japanese bonus tracks, so I gave them nearly identical scores, but I figured this would be more palatable for the Popjustice crowd for some reason ddd. I usually don't like songs about cheating or w/e, but there's something about this one that I can't ignore. I really love the vocal melody, even if it's not the strongest or most original track Mariah has ever written. The belted outro with the slightly modified chorus lyrics is my fave bit of the whole song... I even used to have it as a ringtone on my first cellphone dddd.

@evilsin (9) — "I eat this up like a good boy that I am."

@Butterfly (9) — "This feels like a hit that got away, she was truly spoilt for choice with songs to be able to make this a regional bonus."

@londonrain (9) — "A bop is a bop."

@godspeed (8) — "Mariah & Swizz Beatz... On paper, it kinda sounds like something that wouldn't work but the result is quite great, although it sounds a bit dated now."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "This on the other hand is clearly a bonus track with its clumsy, repetitive beat."

@Coochi (6) — "I like the energy of this one and feel like it could have been on the album to pick things up in the second half but it's not the most memorable song."

@Sprockrooster (4) — "It is reminiscent of Ashanti's Rock Wit U with the 'Oooh baby'-part and clearly inferior."

ysev, GimmeWork, Love Deluxe and 28 others like this.
  15. I knew this won't go that far, since it's a little bonus track, but I was so astounded by this. It checks a lot of things on the list of what I like in songs.

ysev, vague, If You Go and 1 other person like this.
  16. Nothing really special for me. Gave it a 5.

vague likes this.
  17. I had never heard this before! I like it - although given how much time I've spent with most of the other tracks on that album, it's not as memorable yet.

londonrain and vague like this.
  18. I giggled when I found my 2 wasn’t even the lowest score for ‘Thank God I Found You’. It was lowest score of mine given in this rate, though. What a misfire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  19. In terms of quality it's definitely a B-Side, but a nice moment.

vague likes this.
  20. Secret Love is amazing. Not quite in keeping with the album's tight sound but a great song nonetheless.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.