The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50 | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • #51 + TOP 50

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Apr 9, 2020.

1. we finally reach a 7 average with today's cut . . .

[​IMG]

Giving me peace, giving me strength when I'd
    Almost lost it all, catching my every fall
    I still exist because you kept me safe
    I found my saving grace within you

[​IMG]

"My Saving Grace"

Score: 7.008
    High scores: 10×3 (@Imagineitwasus, @RUNAWAY, @If You Go), 9.75×1 (@Rem), 9.5×1 (@nikkysan)
    Low scores: 1×1 (@Daniel_O), 3×1 (@Ramalama), 3.5×1 (@RainOnFire)
    My score: 7

5 ballots: #66, 6.600 avg.
    10 ballots: #63, 6.675 avg.
    15 ballots: #62, 6.650 avg.
    20 ballots: #57, 6.863 avg.
    25 ballots: #54, 7.030 avg.
    30 ballots: #56, 6.965 avg.
    35 ballots: #56, 6.956 avg.
    40 ballots: #57, 6.986 avg.
    45 ballots: #57, 6.831 avg.
    50 ballots: #57, 6.894 avg.
    55 ballots: #58, 6.949 avg.
    60 ballots: #57, 7.008 avg.

"My Saving Grace" is the eighth track on Mariah's ninth studio album, "Charmbracelet", released on December 3, 2002. The song was written by Mariah, Trevor Lawrence, Kenneth Crouch, and Randy Jackson, and was produced by Mariah and Randy Jackson.

After the very public struggles she faced during the recording and promotional period for the "Glitter" soundtrack, Mariah took an extended break from the spotlight during the recording of her follow-up album, "Charmbracelet". In a 2002 interview with MTV, she explained how that break to focus on her music was helpful to her state of mind: "You know what? I did actually have time to take a break, which is really what I needed. [I needed] downtime, just to sleep. And actually the writing process and working on this album has been something to immerse myself in, because I realized how that has always been my saving grace. There's a song on the album called 'My Saving Grace'. But it actually is [my saving grace], just to go into that process and really live the process of writing, recording, the whole thing, up to the main inception to the mastering of the record".

I have a... complicated relationship with religious songs due to my upbringing in a strict, Pentecostal home, so songs like this tend to sort of grate on me dddd. That's not to say that I don't think people should be able to celebrate their religion or to do whatever they want in regards to their own beliefs, I just tend to distance myself from anything overtly Christian in nature for my own sake. That aside, I do think this is a gorgeous song with beautiful vocals and a great message, hence my decent score... it's just not for me.

@Sprockrooster (9) — "Mariah really excels when she is singing to the Lord. Take me to church. The depth to her vocals here are impeccable."

@godspeed (9) — "This is such a fantastic and criminally overlooked song. One of her most passionate performances and knowing that this is about music and songwriting and how important her passion is to her just adds another layer to this song. Truly splendid."

@Jimmyandroid (8) — "Take it to church MC. Good but Fly Like A Bird does this better."

@DominoDancing (6.5) — "Another kinda pretty, but overall mediocre ballad on this album."

@M24 (6.25) — "The Christian moment of the album, and it's honestly quite touching. The belting at the last chorus of the song makes it stand out so much more."

@londonrain (6) — "Fly Like A Bird this is NOT, but it's still pretty."

codecat, pop3blow2, ysev and 24 others like this.
  2. I'm an atheist but I love her religious songs. I never really found the need to relate to music to enjoy it?
    Though I can fully understand finding religious music grating if it was forced upon you.

My Saving Grace is lovely, I think I saw her say this was intended as the final track for Charmbracelet before she wrote Sunflowers for Alfred Roy. Have to say I'm glad it wasn't a closer because, whilst it's nice, it pales in comparison to all but one of her album closers (which is yet to be eliminated...).

pop3blow2, ysev, evilsin and 4 others like this.
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Why are you coming for Loverboy like this?

[​IMG]

WhatKindOfKylie? and vague like this.
  4. Welp, for some reason I completely forgot we didn't rate E=MC2 here - I was meaning I Wish You Well. Loverboy is gorgeous. Ignore me.

londonrain and vague like this.
  5. I know we pretty much all agree this is the weakest period of her career music-wise but man, some of y’all are harsh.

ysev, Pinky25, evilsin and 3 others like this.
  6. First Secret Love and now My Saving Grace, y'all hate my 10s!

vague and evilsin like this.
  7. Another near perfect song there. Hope we don't lose too many from Charmbraclet this early on.

vague, If You Go and P'NutButter like this.
  8. 'My Saving Grace' is apt. Because you will all need it for the wrath I'll bestow if anymore Charmbracelet gems vacate this early!

9. This!

vague and If You Go like this.
  10. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

How did Sprung beat Secret Love?! Noooo.

Secret Love should've made it way farther. The fact that it was only a Japan bonus track was always going to drag it down, but I honestly thought it could've been a Top 40 contender. Yes it doesn't fit the rest of the album but it's still good. Sigh.

londonrain, vague and aux like this.
  11. I still can't get over the fucking fact that If We left us short before reaching top 60 I-

Aester and vague like this.
  12. The only song left I actively dislike is ‘Want You.’

vague likes this.
  13. those of you wanting "Charmbracelet" to get a bit of a reprieve are in luck today . . .

[​IMG]

I feel your touch caressing me
    This feeling's all I'll ever need
    With every kiss from your sweet lips
    It's like I'm drifting out of time

[​IMG]

"After Tonight"

Score: 7.030
    High scores: 10×5 (@GimmeWork, @soratami, @aux, @londonrain, @Music Is Life), 9.5×2 (@tylerc904, @BEST FICTION), 9×2 (@Robsolete, @vague)
    Low scores: 2×1 (@godspeed), 3×2 (@Tigerlily, @Ramalama), 4×1 (@Imagineitwasus)
    My score: 9

5 ballots: #71, 6.100 avg.
    10 ballots: #72, 5.825 avg.
    15 ballots: #69, 6.217 avg.
    20 ballots: #63, 6.538 avg.
    25 ballots: #58, 6.850 avg.
    30 ballots: #57, 6.885 avg.
    35 ballots: #57, 6.873 avg.
    40 ballots: #56, 7.014 avg.
    45 ballots: #55, 7.012 avg.
    50 ballots: #56, 6.931 avg.
    55 ballots: #56, 6.960 avg.
    60 ballots: #56, 7.030 avg.

"My Saving Grace" is the fifth track on Mariah's seventh studio album, "Rainbow", released on November 2, 1999. The song was written by Mariah, Diane Warren, and David Foster, and was produced by Mariah and David Foster.

Originally intended as a duet with her then-boyfriend Luis Miguel, the track's lyrics were written to mirror their whirlwind romance in Capri, Italy during the recording of the "Rainbow" album. Unfortunately, however, Mariah and David Foster could never get the planned duet to work out the way they envisioned: the song's key was too high for Luis Miguel and Mariah didn't have time to re-record her own vocals in a lower key. After several failed recording sessions, Luis was so angry that the duet didn't work out that he allegedly "took scissors to [the demo] tape of it and sent the pieces back to producer David Foster".

Mariah's partnership with Diane Warren was similarly ill-fated. Although they finished three songs together during their sessions, they would never work together again after the "Rainbow" album. According to David Foster, who introduced the pair, Mariah and Diane had a hard time agreeing on lyrics and melodies. Diane would offer lyrical ideas that Mariah did not like, apparently wanting to go with more "intricate and detailed" ideas. Likewise, Mariah's ideas for hooks and melodies were often disliked by Diane. Although David Foster insists that the duo ultimately worked well together, I think it's pretty telling they haven't worked together again in the over 20 years since those "Rainbow" sessions, despite both still working regularly today.

All y'all calling this a basic retread of "My All" in your commentaries ain't wrong, but, like, that's a big part of why I like it dddd. "My All" is so good even the so-called rehashes from Mariah's next two non-soundtrack albums are good as hell to me. Honestly, I'm kinda glad the duet with Luis Miguel never worked out, because I wouldn't have wanted a second of Mariah's vocals on this to be replaced by anyone else; they're so, so nice.

@GimmeWork (10) — "Sort of reminds me of My All and I'm 100% here for anything that does that."

@londonrain (10) — "I'd have loved to hear this actually performed as a duet with someone capable of matching Mariah's vocals, but obviously she couldn't find anyone that talented so she chose to duet with her self. An icon."

@DominoDancing (7.5) — "Pleasant, but Unbreak My Heart this is not, no matter how hard Foster & Warren try to pull off the same tricks."

@Holly Something (7.5) — "This 'My All' knockoff OMG."

@Jimmyandroid (7) — "I'll take your My All re-tread and I'll enjoy it; but I shan't love it."

@M24 (6.5) — "The latin style of this particular ballad is not really my thing. Great vocals of course in the chorus though."

@evilsin (6) — "This kinda tries to be 'My All', but fails at it."

@Butterfly (6) — "On paper I can't fault this, and she sounds lovely, but it's just bland."

@ohaimanabu (6) — "FLY ME TO THE MOON...."

@BreatheBox (5) — "I don't return to this song often."

@Oceandrive (5) — "A metaphor for the larger problems on Rainbow, it tried to recreate a lot of the previous Mimi magic and as a result sounds like her most dated record."

@Tigerlily (3) — "What's the point of this? A bad and boring rehash of one of Mariah's best songs: My All. Just awful."

@godspeed (2) — "Diane Warren definitely knows how to kill the mood."

also, just a quick heads up: I have to be out of my current apartment by Friday and so I will be moving the bulk of my furniture tomorrow. I may not have time to get an elimination out tomorrow or Friday, depending on how things go. I will try my best, but just in case I don't get anything posted, I just wanted to let y'all know what's going on. I apologize for the constant stop-and-start nature of this rate so far, but things should be back to normal by next week - with my posting schedule here if nothing else ddd. thanks! xx

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Me to the low scorers:
    [​IMG]

15. It's literally My All: Roman Reloaded, and I love it. I think that's my highest score to leave so far, at an 8.5.

The melodies are beautiful and she sounds incredible.

16. The fact this got so many sub5-scores. How can it be that offensive?

17. There are 4 Rainbow tracks that should have left before After Tonight. I gave it an 8.

londonrain, Lost In Japan. and vague like this.
  18. Don't really like any of her Spanish guitar-led tracks. Sorry!

vague likes this.
  19. I just checked and I also have 4 tracks on Rainbow still in which I scored lower than After Tonight. I wonder if it's the same four!

vague and Maria like this.
  20. If one is a cover and one is an interlude, maybe!

vague likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.