The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • FINISHED | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.2 • FINISHED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Apr 9, 2020.

1. One Glitter song (in fact the only one), that does nothing for me.

GimmeWork, vague and Ramalama like this.
  2. This is not a good picture of the queen.

vague, DominoDancing and If You Go like this.
  3. fffff I've had a hard time finding HQ photos from 2001ish where she isn't lounging around in a bikini, which I would normally love but is maybe not the best choice for a song written about her dead friend dd. I think she looks pretty, though dddd

tonight's cut is gonna be a little late, but I'll get it posted after I finish making dinner.

Rem, Jacques, soratami and 19 others like this.
  4. so, what're we cutting tonight? let's get straight to it . . .

[​IMG]

Lying with you so naturally
    I never knew this was possible
    And it finally feels like my life has begun
    Now that I can share it with someone

[​IMG]

"Yours"

Score: 7.444
    High scores: 10×4 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @ysev, @RUNAWAY, @Crisp X), 9.5×1 (@Oceandrive), 9.25×1 (@Oleander)
    Low scores: 4×3 (@Sprockrooster, @Daniel_O, @londonrain), 4.5×1 (@Ramalama), 5×1 (@abael)
    My score: 8.5

5 ballots: #52, 7.300 avg.
    10 ballots: #44, 7.600 avg.
    15 ballots: #37, 7.733 avg.
    20 ballots: #37, 7.613 avg.
    25 ballots: #39, 7.570 avg.
    30 ballots: #38, 7.472 avg.
    35 ballots: #43, 7.361 avg.
    40 ballots: #44, 7.335 avg.
    45 ballots: #41, 7.364 avg.
    50 ballots: #42, 7.428 avg.
    55 ballots: #42, 7.453 avg.
    60 ballots: #42, 7.444 avg.

"Yours" is the fourth track from Mariah's ninth studio album, "Charmbracelet", released on December 3, 2002. The track was written and produced by Mariah, James "Jimmy Jam" Harris III, Terry Lewis, and James "Big Jim" Wright.

Although originally recorded as a solo track, Mariah's longtime musical director and Randy Jackson, who had played bass on NSYNC's single "Gone" the previous year, suggested Justin Timberlake would fit well on the track, and thus called in Justin to lay down vocals for the song. Mariah gave several interviews mere weeks before the album's release teasing the duet, but once the album was out, Justin was nowhere to be seen on the final version. Allegedly, Justin's record label, Jive Records, denied permission for his vocals to be included on the officially released version. After the album's release, Mariah stated the duet version would "probably" be released as a remix, but it has still never seen the light of day. Maybe for #MC30?

Honestly, thank God the Justin Timberlake version was never released fffffffffff. I really can't stand his voice (or him, in general dd), so I think we dodged a bullet there. But anyway! This is a really solid album cut from "Charmbracelet". I find the chorus melody a little lacking for me personally, but the rest of the song is quite nice.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "so so SO AMAZING. As I said in my post in the thread, this would fit perfectly on Emancipation, and the JT single mix should have been released. Stupid label politics ruined everything as usual. She could have had a huge comeback if that had been released as planned. The chorus here is so stunning, and I love everything about this song. The 'so amazing' run in the end of the song is such a moment, and...ughhhh I LOVE THIS SONG."

@Oceandrive (9.5) — "The middle 8 when there's lots of fast singing happening and adlib layered over the top is an album highlight."

@Jimmyandroid
    (9) — "Love how romantic and dreamy this song."

@evilsin (9) — "So warm and soothing, especially the chorus with its magical melody. Makes me think of a warm summer night at a country house with drinks and good food for some reason."

@godspeed (8.5) — "A very seductive R&B song that feels like 'Bliss'' little sister."

@M24 (6.5) — "I feel like the song is too monotonous, even if it's pretty classy (and the last minutes... wow). She really showed the critics her voice was as good as always."

@DominoDancing (6) — "Quite pleasing, but like too many tracks on this album not particularly memorable."

@Sprockrooster (4) — "A bit of a drag."

@londonrain (4) — "Meh."

by the way, we're losing another 11 tomorrow.​

Rem, soratami, M24 and 29 others like this.
  5. I love "Yours". It's so sweeet. I should have given it a 10

6. "Yours" is lush and thank fuck Justin's version didn't see the light of day.
    Those ad-libs! Also, am I the only one who's getting a hint of "Crybaby" from this melody-wise?

ysev, Butterfly, vague and 1 other person like this.
  7. Well, if Yours is leaving now, I fear my 11 is not long for this world due to its similarity...

8. Yours, is indeed lush, smooth, chilled, bliss, you name it, it's got it. Great song.

vague and evilsin like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Oh another Charmbracelet track, how surprising.

vague, evilsin, Tigerlily and 3 others like this.
  10. Sad, but true!

vague likes this.
  11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

This is exhausting. "Yours" should have been Top 30 at the minimum.

There are more than a handful of Glitter songs, and a couple of Emancipation tracks that have long outstayed their welcome. Can we please leave Charmbracelet alone for a little bit?

12. Some of Emancipation really needs to go.

BreatheBox, Ramalama and vague like this.
  13. Yes, I actually like* the remaining Charmbracelet songs (relatively).

Need more cullings from Rainbow and Emancipation. And heck, there's even two Glitter tracks I wouldn't mind seeing the back of!

vague likes this.
  14. I swear if 'Clown' or 'The One' go anytime soon...

vague likes this.
  15. the prescience that this post possesses...

[​IMG]

Honestly, I know it's silly of me
    To want you so badly but keep it concealed
    See, my inferiority complex kicks in
    And the words escape me and I'm paralyzed

[​IMG]

"I Wish You Knew"

Score: 7.472
    High scores: 11×1 (@Crisp X), 10×2 (@Maria, @RUNAWAY), 9.75×1 (@vague)
    Low scores: 4.5×1 (@Aester), 5×3 (@Tigerlily, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Coochi), 6×9 (@Ramalama, @RainOnFire, @GimmeWork. @Dangerous Maknae, @abael, @Hurricane Drunk, @Pinky25, @Mushroom, @londonrain)
    My score: 9.75

5 ballots: #49, 7.650 avg.
    10 ballots: #48, 7.315 avg.
    15 ballots: #43, 7.543 avg.
    20 ballots: #42, 7.445 avg.
    25 ballots: #42, 7.456 avg.
    30 ballots: #47, 7.267 avg.
    35 ballots: #47, 7.300 avg.
    40 ballots: #47, 7.275 avg.
    45 ballots: #40, 7.380 avg.
    50 ballots: #40, 7.432 avg.
    55 ballots: #41, 7.493 avg.
    60 ballots: #41, 7.472 avg.

"I Wish You Knew" is the eleventh track from Mariah's tenth studio album, "The Emancipation of Mimi", released on April 12, 2005. The track was written and produced by Mariah and James "Big Jim" Wright.

During a particularly productive studio session with Big Jim Wright, he and Mariah co-wrote three of the highlights from "Emancipation" together: "Circles", "Fly Like A Bird", and, of course, "I Wish You Well". In a 2005 interview with AOL, Mariah described the process of recording the track with a live band: "I sang with the band as they were recording it, so as they were laying down their track, they could feel where I was going to go and adjust the nuances and stuff. It was a really good experience just singing parts to the guitar player or whatever instruments were going on - the keyboards - just having the entire live moment. I added the live audience in there and there's a spoken section. I know that I'm going to do this song live and it's going to be fun because it's giving you old school Diana Ross moments of a live concert where she'd just break down the song and just start talking. I was kind of joking when I did it in the studio, but then my friends were there and they were like, 'You should leave that,' and I was like, 'All right, whatever.' Anyway, it's one of my favorite songs off the new record."

God, those whistles toward the end are amazing, aren't they? Definitely one of my favorite vocal moments on this album, and pretty much from her career overall. And the fake crowd noises make me scream every time... the whole thing is just so over-the-top, I can't help but smile at the ridiculousness of it all. If this song had an actual middle 8 instead of that spoken bit, I would've easily given this a full 10. It's pretty dang great as it is, but I still feel like it could've had just a bit more substance, y'know?

@RUNAWAY (10) — "Love the live feeling of this song, and I loved her performance of this song on tour. It's so beautiful <3 If you feel me, sing the song with me~"

@Butterfly (9.1) — "The live audience feel to this song is everything."

@Oceandrive (9) — "The 'live' aspect of this song always cracks me up. Strangle audience engagement, the crowd going wild when she hits the high notes and a spoken work monologue considering she was in a recording booth is a strange choice, but it all just kinda works."

@BreatheBox (8.9) — "classic sounding... the background vocals damn ma the layerzzz."

@Jimmyandroid (8) — "Didn't care for this one much when the record came out but it's the biggest grower on the album."

@godspeed (8) — "Just like every track on The Emancipation of Mimi, I love this song and its classic R&B vibe. It's beautiful and so smooth. The only thing that bugs me about it though is that it sounds very similar to 'Fly Like A Bird,' a song that is untouchable, so to me the quite obvious comparison between the two always did 'I Wish You Knew' a disservice."

@evilsin (7.5) — "I'm not a fan of those cheering crowd samples, but other than that this is quite nice."

@DominoDancing (7.5) — "Another cool horn part shows up, and I'm a total sucker for those. I wish it was mixed a bit more prominently."

@P'NutButter (7) — "A bit Alicia Keys with the talking parts and the fake crowd getting louder for her whistles makes me cringe."

@M24 (6.7) — "Cute but that's about it. I could do without the crowd sounds."

@londonrain (6) — "Pretty."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Rem, soratami, M24 and 29 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Rainbow"
    (8/14)

01 Heartbreaker (feat. Jay-Z)
    02 Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
    03 Bliss
    04 How Much (feat. Usher)
    05 After Tonight
    06 X-Girlfriend
    07 Heartbreaker (Remix feat. Da Brat & Missy Elliott)
    08 Vulnerability (Interlude)
    09 Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
    10 Crybaby (feat. Snoop Dogg)
    11 Did I Do That? (feat. Mystikal & Master P)
    12 Petals
    13 Rainbow (Interlude)
    14 Thank God I Found You (feat. Joe & 98°)

[​IMG]
    "Glitter"
    (9/12)

01 Loverboy (Remix feat. Da Brat, Ludacris, Twenty II, & Shawna)
    02 Lead The Way
    03 If We (feat. Ja Rule & Nate Dogg)
    04 Didn't Mean To Turn You On
    05 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (feat. Mystikal)
    06 All My Life
    07 Reflections (Care Enough)
    08 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (feat. Busta Rhymes, Fabolous, & DJ Clue)
    09 Want You (feat. Eric Benét)
    10 Never Too Far
    11 Twister
    12 Loverboy

[​IMG]
    "Charmbracelet"
    (9/20)

01 Through The Rain
    02 Boy (I Need You) (feat. Cam'ron)
    03 The One
    04 Yours
    05 You Got Me (feat. Jay-Z & Freeway)
    06 I Only Wanted
    07 Clown
    08 My Saving Grace
    09 You Had Your Chance
    10 Lullaby
    11 Irresistible (West Side Connection)
    12 Subtle Invitation
    13 Bringin' On The Heartbreak
    14 Sunflowers For Alfred Roy
    15 Through The Rain (Remix feat. Kelly Price & Joe)

16 Miss You (feat. Jadakiss)
    17 I Know What You Want (with Busta Rhymes & Flipmode Squad)
    18 There Goes My Heart
    19 Got A Thing 4 You (with Da Brat & Elephant Man)
    20 The One (So So Def Remix feat. Bone Crusher)

[​IMG]
    "The Emancipation Of Mimi"
    (11/16)

01 It's Like That
    02 We Belong Together
    03 Shake It Off
    04 Mine Again
    05 Say Somethin' (feat. Snoop Dogg)
    06 Stay The Night
    07 Get Your Number (feat. Jermaine Dupri)
    08 One And Only (feat. Twista)
    09 Circles
    10 Your Girl
    11 I Wish You Knew
    12 To The Floor (feat. Nelly)
    13 Joy Ride
    14 Fly Like A Bird
    15 Sprung
    16 Secret Love

[​IMG]
    "The Emancipation Of Mimi: Ultra Platinum Edition"
    (2/4)

01 Don't Forget About Us
    02 Makin' It Last All Night (What It Do) (feat. Jermaine Dupri)
    03 So Lonely (One & Only Part II) (feat. Twista)
    04 We Belong Together (Remix feat. Jadakiss & Styles P.)

[​IMG]
    "Extras"
    (1/9)

01 Heartbreaker / If You Should Ever Be Lonely (Junior's Club Mix)
    02 Thank God I Found You (Make It Last Remix feat. Joe & Nas)
    03 Loverboy (Dreamy Club Of Love Radio Edit)
    04 Say Somethin' (So So Def Remix feat. Dem Franchize Boyz)
    05 Don't Forget About Us (Desert Storm Remix feat. Fabolous & Styles P.)
    06 Never Too Far / Hero Medley
    07 There For Me
    08 U Make Me Wanna (with Jadakiss)
    09 Lil' L.O.V.E. (with Bone Thugs-n-Harmony & Bow Wow)

we'll be cutting two more 11s before we reach the top 30. actually, from this point on, the 11s will be leaving pretty regularly. not quite every day (yet), but at least one per week.​

Rem, soratami, M24 and 26 others like this.
  17. I'd rather Emancipation didn't lose songs, but I suppose if it had to then that's one I'm more okay with.

18. Yours & I Wish You Knew out in successive eliminations - I'm crushed. @londonrain a low scorer for both too! Between this and your Deadwood panning I'm beginning to wonder what happened to the taste I perceived you to have.

Yours (8.75) is the standout album track on Charmbracelet. I Wish You Knew (9.1) suffers slightly being on such a magnificent album but it deserved far better regardless. The spoken word part is lovely, as is to be expected with the prettiest speaking voice known to man, but the fact that she added in her own audience cheers is just hilarious. It fits in with my interpretation of The Emancipation of Mimi as being her 'I'm back whether you like it or not' to Charmbracelet's 'please like me again'.

soratami, Crisp X, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  19. Glitter, you're doing amazing sweetie.

WhatKindOfKylie? and vague like this.
  20. Glitter has absolutely no business having so many tracks left, a cull is overdue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.