The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.3 • #68: "This would be cute for a PSA." | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.3 • #68: "This would be cute for a PSA."

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Cute enough, but that's about it.

vague and ohaimanabu like this.
  2. The production is bloody terrible and it seems to go on forever.

vague likes this.
  3. Lil' Snowman is a very inoffensive little festive moment. It does bop quite a bit but I may have overscored it ddd.

The extras in this rate has some of the worst songs in Mimi's career....one song in particular needed to exit two eliminations ago.

vague likes this.
  4. sorry for the late post today! I needed a nap after work nn.

we're losing a ~promotional~ single today . . .

[​IMG]

One child can change the world
    Christmas morn' the King of all kings was born
    He reigns forevermore
    Let us worship and adore Christ the Lord

[​IMG]

"One Child"

Score: 5.399
    High scores: 10×2 (@Conan, @londonrain), 9.5×1 (@Sprockrooster), 8×1 (@Coochi)
    Low scores: 1×4 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Oceandrive, @Hurricane Drunk, @Blond), 2×2 (@soratami, @RainOnFire), 3×6 (@Aester, @godspeed, @fatyoshi, @evilsin, @Ramalama, @M24)
    My score: 6.5

5 ballots: #89, 5.300 avg.
    10 ballots: #88, 5.850 avg.
    15 ballots: #88, 5.933 avg.
    20 ballots: #89, 5.675 avg.
    25 ballots: #89, 5.340 avg.
    30 ballots: #89, 5.233 avg.
    35 ballots: #89, 5.114 avg.
    40 ballots: #89, 5.013 avg.
    45 ballots: #89, 5.200 avg.
    50 ballots: #90, 5.190 avg.
    55 ballots: #90, 5.195 avg.
    60 ballots: #90, 5.354 avg.
    62 ballots: #90, 5.399 avg.

"One Child" is the eleventh track from Mariah's second Christmas album, "Merry Christmas II You", released on November 1, 2010. It was written and produced by Mariah and Marc Shaiman. The song was released as a promotional radio single in the US, where it peaked at #12 on Billboard's US Gospel Digital Songs chart, and it also charted on South Korea's Gaon International chart at #98.

.During the recording of the "Merry Christmas II You" album, Mariah worked with Broadway composer Marc Shaiman on two of the album's four original tracks on the suggestion of Mariah's longtime friend Randy Jackson. Mariah recalled on the DVD included with the limited CD+DVD edition of the album how it was working with Marc Shaiman: "It was just this bizarre coincidence, too, because the night before we worked together I was watching An American President, which Marc did the scoring for, and the next day, it was like I realized that Marc had done that music and we were getting together to write together, and we really clicked immediately, it was like one of those things where we really worked well together."

With the rare exception, I'm not super big into Christmas songs or religious songs, and unfortunately, this one just doesn't do much for me. It's nice, it's well-written, and the vocals are obviously gorgeous, but I never feel a pull to listen to this - even during the holidays.

@londonrain (10) — "This is gorgeous and one of the best original Christmas songs that's actually about the birth of Christ. Genuinely beautiful."

@If You Go (7.5) — "It's no 'Jesus Born on This Day', but it's trying."

@Butterfly (6.5) — "Always thought this was a weak one from her, still cute but it's my least favourite on MCIIY."

@Jimmyandroid (6) — "I like the melody enough but I don't often put it on."

@RUNAWAY (5) — "this is boring as shit. There's only 1 thing worse than an overly-religious Christmas song: an overly-religious Christmas song with a children's choir."

@godspeed (3) — "Vocals! Otherwise, a big bunch of Christmas whatever."

5. What @londonrain said.

6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Ugh, I knew this was going to be done wrong but it still stings. Marc Shaiman’s musical theatre background, the children’s choir and the overtly religious lyrics were never going to endear the song to voters here, but to me it somehow just works. It feels very traditional and I love it. “One child can change the world” is a perfect summary of why Christmas exists.

7. Yep, this is boring, no getting away from it.

vague likes this.
  8. I love it, until the brats start singing.

vague and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  9. The swell in the melody towards the end of each verse is very nice but otherwise not much of value has been lost.

vague likes this.
  10. It's all going well so far the eliminations I think.

vague and Uno like this.
  11. In The Mixfamous out when??

vague likes this.
  12. These songs are really such a non-event nn.

13. Can't disagree here, feels like only just touching the surface.

vague likes this.
  14. right now!

[​IMG]

I said you mean the world to me
    Say what you are, it's infamous
    It's such a rush, reality
    I'm so into you, the things you do

[​IMG]

"Infamous"

with Jussie Smollett

Score: 5.460
    High scores: 10×1 (@Music Is Death), 8.5×2 (@maikos87, @Oleander), 8.25×1 (@djmakemewet), 8×2 (@evilsin, @Slice of Life)
    Low scores: 0×2 (@Oceandrive, @BreatheBox), 1×1 (@Ramalama), 2×5 (@Jimmyandroid, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Imagineitwasus, @Hurricane Drunk, @Blond)
    My score: 7.25

5 ballots: #88, 5.350 avg.
    10 ballots: #90, 4.775 avg.
    15 ballots: #90, 5.250 avg.
    20 ballots: #90, 5.288 avg.
    25 ballots: #90, 5.050 avg.
    30 ballots: #90, 5.025 avg.
    35 ballots: #90, 5.043 avg.
    40 ballots: #90, 5.000 avg.
    45 ballots: #90, 5.161 avg.
    50 ballots: #89, 5.315 avg.
    55 ballots: #89, 5.409 avg.
    60 ballots: #89, 5.392 avg.
    62 ballots: #89, 5.460 avg.

"Infamous", a duet with Jussie Smollett, is a stand-alone single written for the Fox TV drama Empire, created by Lee Daniels. The single was released on September 30, 2016, and was later featured on the third episode of the show's third season, "What Remains Is Bestial", which aired on October 5, 2016. It was written and produced by Mariah, Jermaine Dupri, and James "Big Jim" Wright.

In a May 2015 interview with the Los Angeles Times, when asked if she had any plans to return to acting, Mariah said, "Lee Daniels has promised me several roles soon and [sings] 'I will hunt him down' if he doesn't." She then went on to mention a song she had written with the show in mind: "I wanted to give them a song. I thought one of these songs could be good really good for Cookie or Luscious. I have a song that I wrote with Big Jim and Jermaine, and I think it could be really right for the show. But Lee wants me to do a character, that's what he says. But we'll see what he does with next season."

A little over a year later, Mariah got her wish when Lee Daniels wrote her into the third of season of the at-the-time ratings juggernaut, Empire. Mariah's character, Kitty, is "a huge singer — obvs — who comes to help Jamal get his confidence back in the studio". Jussie Smollet told EW how it was to work with Mariah on the song and show: "It was great. She's a sweetheart. She's a professional and, you know, this is a long time coming."

Y'know, I don't watch much TV outside of, like, a couple of the Real Housewives shows anymore, so I've never actually watched Empire. I do remember it being huge when it debuted, but the storylines never interested me enough to tune in. This song is nice enough, I guess. Mariah sounds good, but I don't really like Jussie's voice and I don't really have the context of the show to add any (potential?) depth to my enjoyment of this. I have to say, though, that I'm a little surprised it's out quite so early; I thought this would hang on for a bit longer, but y'all weren't having it nn.

@londonrain (7) — "Likely to be a very early exit, but it's cute."

@godspeed (4) — "I don't know if I'm biased or something but I've always found the songs from this Empire show terribly caricatural. Just like the show itself actually."

@If You Go (4) — "The backing track could go off more. Also very unnecessary auto-tuning."

@Jimmyandroid (2) — "Boring, forgettable, tuneless."

@Ramalama (1) — "LMAO, remember Empire?"

@BreatheBox (0) — "Jussie's goat vocals = nope."

15. Infamous is cute but it would have been better solo (particularly given the Jussie situation). This feels like the right time for it to go.

16. We also need a solo version to surface..

17. Not feeling this one at all.

vague likes this.
  18. I know it's one of the next to go, but I'm glad The Star outlasted all of these.

vague likes this.
  19. I always loved it as a bridge/bonus moment between eras, but the Jussie connection has since soured it.

vague and If You Go like this.
  20. Neither does Mariah I think

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.