The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.3 • #68: "This would be cute for a PSA." | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate Pt.3 • #68: "This would be cute for a PSA."

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Mar 29, 2021.

1. It's alright, very very cheesy though.

ohaimanabu, DominoDancing and vague like this.
  2. I quite liked this. Not enough to be sad it’s out already, but she’s cute.

vague likes this.
  3. No major losses for me so far, I loved I Don't, but can see/deal with why it went out so early on also.

vague likes this.
  4. I hope the hoes side-eyeing me for my low scores on some of these worthless eliminations, congratulate me on the 18 tens I gave out throughout

5. hello! hope you all had a good weekend x

we're cutting yet another single from the extras today nn . . .

[​IMG]

See, I grew up locked in sorrow
    So I learned to block the pain
    But I won't give up tomorrow
    'Cause I've come to life again

[​IMG]

"Right To Dream"

Score: 6.734
    High scores: 9.5×4 (@Jimmyandroid, @theincredibleflipper, @Slice of Life, @Music Is Death), 9×3 (@RainOnFire, @DominoDancing, @BreatheBox), 8.75×1 (@Oleander)
    Low scores: 2.5×2 (@lemonsqueezyy, @LeBratt), 3×3 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Ramalama, @Blond), 4×3 (@Oceandrive, @Ana Raquel, @Holly Something)
    My score: 8.5

5 ballots: #77, 7.000 avg.
    10 ballots: #77, 6.900 avg.
    15 ballots: #70, 7.233 avg.
    20 ballots: #67, 7.413 avg.
    25 ballots: #72, 7.010 avg.
    30 ballots: #80, 6.842 avg.
    35 ballots: #80, 6.707 avg.
    40 ballots: #80, 6.694 avg.
    45 ballots: #80, 6.706 avg.
    50 ballots: #79, 6.805 avg.
    55 ballots: #80, 6.709 avg.
    60 ballots: #83, 6.692 avg.
    62 ballots: #83, 6.734 avg.

"Right To Dream" is a standalone promotional single written for the Lee Daniels-produced 2008 film Tennessee; it was released to radio on October 20, 2008 and for download on December 2, 2008. The song was written by Mariah and Willie Nelson, and was produced solely by Mariah. Additionally, Mariah also covered Kris Kristofferson's 1970 US #8-peaking single "Help Me Make It Through the Night" for the film's soundtrack, but it was never officially released.

While on set filming Tennessee, Mariah began channeling her character, Krystal's emotions into a song, telling Variety in a 2008 interview: "It was a different experience from an album project. I was very close to the story and, in particular, my character's struggle, so it made it easier for me as a writer. I just began channeling Krystal's pain and hope. The song is basically a three-act play and chronicles the evolution of Krystal."

When the time came to record the studio version of "Right To Dream", Mariah enlisted the help of Willie Nelson, who played guitar on the track. Mariah told the LA Times in a November 2008 interview how their collaboration came about: "I was humming different melodies while I was on the set and stuff, and I was just thinking that Willie Nelson would be somebody fabulous to collaborate with. I reached out to him and we met after one of his concerts, and he did some guitar for me ... I went to his concert with my mom. She's a huge fan of his. We watched his show, and went back to the trailer afterward, and had a nice long talk about writing and the style of the record I was going for."

God, I love this. I wish I'd given it a full ten now, 'cause it's only grown on me even more since voting closed. I haven't watched Tennessee, so I have no real idea of how the song plays into the story there, but even without that context, I think it's gorgeous. Mariah's raspy vocals and the simple arrangement here are breathtaking. Mariah really can take on any genre and kill it. A legend!!!!!!!

@Jimmyandroid (9.5) — "The emotive delivery underpinned with the message of resilience are a winner."

@theincredibleflipper (9.5) — "Something about this is so unexpected but works so well."

@DominoDancing (9) — "The stripped down production is great, and so is the guitar solo. This grew on me quite a bit after multiple listens."

@ohaimanabu (8.5) — "it's not really my type of song, but it's very good."

@londonrain (8) — "I watched Tennessee. It's... a perfectly acceptable film. That's all I can say about it."

6. Oh my first shocker elimination this round. I'd say Right To Dream was a rate discovery for me, so I am sad to see it leave already.

7. Yeah, not really my cup of tea this one.

vague likes this.
  8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

This is a shitty result. "Right to Dream" is stunning. I don't think there's anything quite like it in the rest of her discography.

9. I like Right To Dream a lot, though I suspected it wouldn't last long here.

10. One of her best and most raw vocals and she was brilliant in Tennessee.

11. Yeah I knew this one would be kicked early, but I stand by it being super unique amidst her work and a fantastic song.

theincredibleflipper and vague like this.
  12. Absolutely (absolutely shitty result too!)!!! The vulnerability and the overall fragile feeling makes it a very special song in Mariah's discography.

13. the extras are getting a break for today . . .

[​IMG]

Christmas shoppers glance at us and smile
    'Cause the mistletoe is occupied
    And the dream is to share
    This Christmas cheer with you all year

[​IMG]

"Christmas Time Is In The Air Again"

Score: 6.762
    High scores: 10×3 (@Jimmyandroid, @BreatheBox, @Butterfly), 9×5 (@AllGagaLike @Imagineitwasus, @theincredibleflipper, @LeBratt, @Music Is Death), 8.5×1 (@lemonsqueezyy)
    Low scores: 3×2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @Andrew.L), 4×3 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @Ana Raquel, @Coochi), 4.5×1 (@Robsolete)
    My score: 7.75

5 ballots: #70, 7.350 avg.
    10 ballots: #64, 7.475 avg.
    15 ballots: #63, 7.483 avg.
    20 ballots: #73, 7.238 avg.
    25 ballots: #74, 6.930 avg.
    30 ballots: #76, 6.942 avg.
    35 ballots: #77, 6.736 avg.
    40 ballots: #82, 6.638 avg.
    45 ballots: #83, 6.611 avg.
    50 ballots: #83, 6.620 avg.
    55 ballots: #83, 6.605 avg.
    60 ballots: #82, 6.721 avg.
    62 ballots: #82, 6.762 avg.

"Christmas Time Is In The Air Again" is the fourth track from Mariah's second Christmas album, "Merry Christmas II You", released on November 1, 2010. It was written and produced by Mariah and Marc Shaiman. A "Magical Christmas Mix" of the song was released December 4, 2020 as part of the "Mariah Carey's Magical Christmas Special" soundtrack album.

The song was released as a promotional radio single on December 2, 2012. It peaked at #50 on the US Billboard Holiday Digital Song Sales chart upon the album's release in 2010, and also peaked at #13 on South Korea's Gaon International chart upon its single release in 2012.

During the recording of the "Merry Christmas II You" album, Mariah worked with Broadway composer Marc Shaiman on two of the album's four original tracks at the suggestion of Mariah's longtime friend, Randy Jackson. Mariah recalled on the DVD included with the limited CD+DVD edition of the album how it was working with Marc Shaiman: "Working with such a talented person, um, just in terms of, like, him being able to illustrate on the piano what I'm hearing in my mind has been an incredible process 'cause we're just so on the same page, so now he's going to do the orchestrations for basically all the songs. We've got these two original songs that we wrote together ... One we kinda sat down and said, 'Hey, let's do something that maybe could kinda be, like, from the fifties, but it's now."

Marc Shaiman elaborated on his joy working with Mariah on the same DVD: "People have been asking me, 'What's it like to work with her?' And I said, 'She's just, like, if music took on a human form, if music had legs and arms, that would be her'. I mean, I'm really, really, really excited as a songwriter, I'm excited, and the fact that I'm writing with Mariah Carey? And then I get to hear her sing? I mean just writing with her is thrilling because you're getting to hear her sing the whole time ... We wrote one song in the style of something that might be on a Nat King Cole Christmas album ... Uh, and as a Jew, it's very exciting, because I said to Mariah, 'Nothing says Christmas more than a bunch of Jews in a recording studio in the summer'."

Y'know, I'm sure I've said this countless times over the course of these rates, but Christmas music just isn't my thing? I can appreciate the craftsmanship and the work put into these songs to give them a sense of timelessness and joy, but they just don't really appeal to me in a way that makes me want to listen to them if that makes sense? Like, objectively, I know this is a very pretty song and it nails the vibe Mariah was going for, but I just don't ... care nn.

@Jimmyandroid (10) — "It's so evocative and cosy. I love playing this back to back with Charlie Brown Christmas."

@BreatheBox (10) — "one of the best things in her discography 4real4real."

@Butterfly (10) — "Feels weird to be giving this one of my few 10s but it's just perfect on every level. I was shocked to learn it's an original song, I hope one day the Mariah Christmas song-book as a whole can be as appreciated as All I Want For Christmas Is You."

@godspeed (7.5) — "This is actually extremely pretty. Short and sweet, doesn't overstay its welcome, with a beautifully executed retro orchestral production and Mariah's heavenly vocals carrying the song. I don't enjoy the holiday season but this almost makes me wish I did."

@DominoDancing (7) — "The old Hollywood strings are great actually, but...it's a Christmas song."

@londonrain (6) — "Wait, this isn't a cover? It's a VERY obvious attempt to recapture a certain genre of Christmas song, which is nice but not particularly Mariah. I feel like the Marc Shaiman contributions sound a lot more like him than Mariah."

@Coochi (4) — "I get what she's doing with this, but it's boring."

14. I can't believe I was 0.5 points short of being a high scorer for a Christmas song. I'm usually really not here for Christmas music, but that one is just gorgeous. It really was done wrong.

15. One of her better Christmas ballads, it makes me wish I had her money to go to Aspen every year.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.

16. ????????????????
    Not this many of my 10s getting annihilated so early on + I'm in shock, this her plush-est song ever etc you can replace "christmas" with anything and i'd still stan

17. Well I’m
    So not surprised

vague likes this.
  18. Not a bad ballad, but not gonna lie, excluding a couple of songs, am not really a fan of Merry Christmas II You.

ohaimanabu and vague like this.
  19. Sad to see this one go but I always suspected it’s more of a personal favourite than a crowd pleaser.

20. are you guys streaming the two new Mariah tracks we got this week? what do y'all think of 'em?

anyway, let's get back to the results, shall we?

the extras is losing another song tonight . . .

[​IMG]

Who's the one callin' you baby
    Who's in love with your ass like crazy
    Who's tryin' to flag down ships
    Just tryin' to get the love you give

[​IMG]

"My Love"

with The-Dream

Score: 6.774
    High scores: 10×3 (@Oceandrive, @lemonsqueezyy, @Ramalama), 9.5×1 (@Conan), 9×4 (@ohaimanabu, @BreatheBox, @LeBratt, @Music Is Death)
    Low scores: 2×2 (@WhatKindOfKylie?, @nikkysan), 3.5×1 (@If You Go), 4×4 (@Sprockrooster, @Uno, @M24, @Butterfly)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: #84, 6.350 avg.
    10 ballots: #84, 6.175 avg.
    15 ballots: #86, 6.150 avg.
    20 ballots: #87, 6.013 avg.
    25 ballots: #87, 6.150 avg.
    30 ballots: #86, 6.375 avg.
    35 ballots: #83, 6.386 avg.
    40 ballots: #83, 6.575 avg.
    45 ballots: #81, 6.683 avg.
    50 ballots: #81, 6.675 avg.
    55 ballots: #80, 6.709 avg.
    60 ballots: #81, 6.733 avg.
    62 ballots: #81, 6.774 avg.

"My Love" was released as the second single from The-Dream's second studio album, "Love vs Money", on February 24, 2009. It was written by Mariah, Terius "The-Dream" Nash, and Carlos McKinney, and was produced by Terius "The-Dream" Nash and Carlos McKinney. The single peaked at #82 on the Billboard US Hot 100 and at #36 on the Billboard US Hot R&B / Hip-Hop Songs airplay chart. The song has sold over 100,000 downloads in the US since its release.

After working together during the recording of Mariah's "E=MC²" album, The-Dream wrote "My Love" with the elusive chanteuse herself in mind to record the track with him, although he was unsure if Mariah's then-label head, LA Reid, would allow her to record it. The-Dream told XXL magazine in an April 2009 interview how he concocted a plan to ensure Mariah would record the song: "I wrote that record and immediately thought, 'This is a great record for me and Mariah if she wants to do it'. The next morning I had an interview, and I'm like, 'Yeah, I got Mariah on this record called 'My Love',' knowing damn well I hadn't even asked her to get on it. L.A. was like, 'What the hell is he talking about?' But they called M.C., and she got the record and was like, 'I fuckin' love it.' I'm like, 'My hunch was right.' I just spoke it into existence."

I gave this a ten on my initial playthrough of the playlist, and now I can't figure out why I changed my score to an 8.75?! This result is so sick!! I'm a little bit disgusted with myself for changing my score and also with you low scorers!!! This definitely should've hung around until at least closer to the top fifty. I knew some of y'all would do this dirty, but #81?! Christ.

@Ramalama (10) — "The-Dream is one of my favourite Mariah partners ever. Of course I'm a fan of something that sounds like it could slot into Memoirs!"

@Jimmyandroid (7.5) — "It's not essential but I'll occasionally play this and bop along."

@londonrain (5) — "There's WAY too little Mariah on this."

@Sprockrooster (4) — "I just CANNOT at the fact that you manage to get Mariah on your track and then it is this weak effort. So dumb. I..."

@If You Go (3.5) — "A bit of a non-event, the video is funny though."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.