The Mariah Carey Rate Pt.3 • #80: "How heartless must you be to hate a track as pure as this?" | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mariah Carey Rate Pt.3 • #80: "How heartless must you be to hate a track as pure as this?"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by vague, Mar 29, 2021.

1. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Now that we've reached the final part, here are all of my album averages:

Butterfly - 9.33
    Mariah Carey - 8.86
    Caution - 8.77
    Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - 8.68
    Daydream - 8.46
    Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse - 8.17
    Rainbow - 8.11
    E=MC² - 7.82
    The Emancipation of Mimi - 7.79
    Emotions - 7.3
    Charmbracelet - 6.66
    Glitter - 6.54
    Music Box - 5.95

This actually turned out to be a pretty accurate ranking for me! I'm both surprised and pleased nn, because I don't think I rated them all on the same scale. If I could make any changes, Memoirs would be #2, and I'd flip Me I Am Mariah/Rainbow (but the fact that I even gave them similar averages is kind of spooky).

2. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

3. Yes. Slay Migrate and the Distance. The other one I can't pin down.

4. Uno

Uno

Giving Me Life is the clear #1 me thinks.

5. Giving Me Life, always gives me life. What a moment.

6. I know Side Effects is not one of the album tracks in the top 10 but I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. She portrays the long-running side effects of abusive relationships so well there, specially in an upbeat song. I initially wanted to give it my 11 since I chose two other personal and relatable deep cuts (Close My Eyes and Petals) in the other parts as my 11s but I just couldn't because of Jeezy's part ddd.

7. Lemme post my final album rankings too.

Caution - 9.3

Butterfly - 9.2
    Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - 9.1
    Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse - 9.0

Mariah Carey - 8.8
    E=MC² - 8.6
    Daydream - 8.5
    Glitter - 8.5
    Charmbracelet - 8.2

Emotions - 7.9
    The Emancipation of Mimi - 7.5
    Music Box - 7.1
    Rainbow - 7.0

I’d switch Music Box and Rainbow’s positions (because Petals alone makes Rainbow superior, even if there are some more questionable moments on the album), but otherwise this is pretty spot on. I’m spending the whole week just diving into her music all over again as well as reading her autobiography again to celebrate the final part of this rate beginning.

8. I'm sorting through and formatting the commentary I've received so far tonight, and the "Me. I Am Mariah..." interlude has like 3x as much commentary as almost every other song so far fffffFFFFFFFFFFF.

anyway, y'all got six days left to vote. I really hope we can match the first two parts of the rate and reach 60 voters again (we're at 22 right now nn).

9. Uno

Uno

Y’all gonna eat me alive for some of my votes, I just know it. I apologize in advance.

10. I think this one will have some surprises and upsets! I know I scored a of songs higher and lower than I would originally have a few years back for sure.

vague likes this.
  11. I'm scoring slowly but surely. And I can't decide on an 11 once again, dddd.

RUNAWAY, If You Go and vague like this.
  12. Submitted!

[​IMG]

Caution - 8.77
    Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - 8.03
    Me. I Am Mariah - 7.67
    The Rarities - 7.38
    E=MC² - 6.88
    Merry Christmas II You - 6.3

13. I'm doing my scores now! I'm not super familiar with these albums outside the singles (except Caution which really is one of the best albums of the last few years).

vague likes this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I'm finishing up the Rarities, have almost all the extras left, and the Xmas songs, but then I will be done! I'm so sorry for finishing this so last minute @vague!! Also, due to the time crunch, I will only be submitting limited commentary unlike my usual comments on nearly every song. I'll try to comment and keep the thread alive for the songs I didn't write anything about. <3333333

15. [​IMG]

16. E=MC2 has really grown on me... before it was one of my least favorite Mariah albums, but I think it’s pretty good now. Caution and Memoirs are still my top albums from this section though.

17. Yes, I would rank all the albums in order as this:
    1.Caution
    2.The Rarities
    3.E=MC2
    4.Me I am Mariah
    5.Memoirs

vague likes this.
  18. I honestly think this is a solid score, for what’s a consistently good to great record.

There’s nothing on the album that reaches the impeccable heights of the others (a sole 9.5 was my highest score) but a lone 5 was my lowest score and it’s average is mainly affected by the fact I don’t love any of the final section of songs.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    vague and nikkysan like this.
  19. Can Supernatural be the 1st song out please?

vague likes this.
  20. No.
    Not when "For The Record" is a career highlight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.