The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Oh not to discredit the end total being BIG it's just...I'm intrigued to how it'll stack up at the year end Vs Thor, Black Panther, Avatar and maybe even Top Gun. Word of mouth seemed to hit hard this time round
Yeah it really did. At least it made it to the 900s. If it'd finished with an 8 in front of it, that would have been a disaster.

It's not impossible, just quite unlikely, for it to make it the billion.

I wonder if the 45 day release window before hitting Disney+ is hurting their cinema releases? If you're not keen on spending 15£$+ to see but you've got a subscription, it's not that long to wait

I wonder if the 45 day release window before hitting Disney+ is hurting their cinema releases? If you're not keen on spending 15£$+ to see but you've got a subscription, it's not that long to wait

Sounds like something a miserly person and a not a true Marvel fan would think of.

I don't think it helped that basically everything about Multiverse was known for MONTHS leading up to the release. The trailers showed you the entire movie.

Yeah trying to actively avoid official trailers because they were clearly giving the whole thing away was very annoying. Even Feige has commented on that afterwards.

The thing with the 45 day window is that the Disney+ release date was only just confirmed this week. So any casual fan that hadn't seen it in theatres would only just be finding out that it's going to digital before the end of the month. Only people that are close to industry reporting and the moving and shaking will even know that the 45 day window is a thing now.

The thing with the 45 day window is that the Disney+ release date was only just confirmed this week. So any casual fan that hadn't seen it in theatres would only just be finding out that it's going to digital before the end of the month. Only people that are close to industry reporting and the moving and shaking will even know that the 45 day window is a thing now.

The 45+ day window was announced as policy for all films and although you might not know the actual release date, it's still showing in cinemas now so knowing it's on a streaming service soon might push a casual fan into waiting to watch at home

The 45+ day window was announced as policy for all films and although you might not know the actual release date, it's still showing in cinemas now so knowing it's on a streaming service soon might push a casual fan into waiting to watch at home
Yeah, this is absolutely right, I don't doubt that it's hurting the box office overall. It's great for us - 45 days is nothing at all really - but that and China basically refusing to show 99% of US blockbusters, does probably mean the goalposts have shifted now.

There will always be outliers, like No Way Home and potentially Jurassic World, but it's a different box office landscape now. That probably means studios will drastically cut budgets too.

I think the right 'event' movie can nail an audience into HAVING to see it in theatres. Top Gun beyond amazing word of mouth has the 'IMAX factor' that kind of forces you to see it in the best possible conditions. It's a case by case thing really

Obviously it's all relative

Yeah China has been a constant in the box office in the past years. So I think Multiverse of Madness has done really well (especially being a “Doctor Strange” film). As was mentioned, the ad campaign giving everything away hurt it the most. I would have easily watched the movie a second time if I had no idea the Illuminati and Professor X were in the film. Basically the first week box office numbers would have been much higher.

Given I’m a Marvel stan, I still haven’t seen this, and unfortunately I will now just wait for it to come to Disney+. I wanted to catch it in theatres, but given I don’t really have any other stans close to me anymore, I have other commitments and responsibilities that make cinema trips difficult etc, it’s just more convenient. I will always choose cinema over at-home but at this point they made my decision for me.

It’s still beating Batman globally right? I can’t imagine a Dr Strange film grossing more than a Batman film being considered a disappointment.

Yeah, while still very much a mainstream hero, Doctor Strange is a slightly more unconventional and more trippy hero than more straightforward heroes like Spider-Man, Batman, Captain America, Iron Man,... . So earning almost $900m is definitely a success.

I'm pretty sure Thor 4 will earn more though.

I’m surprised it’s going on Disney Plus so soon. Why would you pay £15 per person to see it at the cinema now when you could just wait a couple of weeks?

he/him/his
Disney keeps all the money from Disney Plus and it drives up their subscriptions so I understand why they do it.

If it would be on there in a year the hype would die down.

Yeah, $900m is obviously not an underperformance for 99% of movies out there. But for this? Guarantee Feige and co expected this to be a No Way Home competitor.

This was set up to have stormed past the billion already. Wanda is, arguably, a favourite of most MCU fans right now, and this was the movie where she unleashed her full power. The hype for her was mega. It was the big multiverse movie that promised to blow everything wide open. I personally loved it, but I can see why others didn't feel like it lived up to the promise.

The first weekend was massive but word of mouth and subsequent drops have been really harsh. It's going to be really close, but if it can just tick over $1 billion, there won't be any talk of underperforming I don't think. It could be at around $920 million by the end of today.