The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

He/him
Yeah that's a huge eek. Having Kevin oversee everything worked for so long, when they weren't churning out 55 projects a year, because he's genuinely passionate about Marvel. But the "spread too thin" complaint makes sense.

Of all the projects they're producing right now, they cannot drop the ball with Mahershala for fuck sake.

There definitely is an element of Feige being spread too thin.

They need to reduce the amount of content in order to main quality control. The issue is of course Disney Plus and this need to constantly have new material for it.

Blade's production sounds like it's going well.

3fc1ddea9678aadfb7aea31130e8db54.jpg

What's funny is the Marvel Cartel used to insist you watch everything, lest you be lost in the next film and that's on you, definitely not the storytellers, and now two years out from the film we're at "Just don't watch it!"

Yeah, the 'need' to watch everything during the first 3 phases was more palpable. (They even tricked me into watching both Guardians movies and Ragnarok.) Obviously, there were lesser releases to keep up with and no Disney+. They also seem the aim for more surface-level, shock reveals, like Maguire, Garfield, Stewart and now Jackman returning. Nothing wrong with getting enjoyment from that, but it doesn't always translate in great storytelling.

It’s a shame the Disney+ strategy has worked, because I wish they’d ditch the TV shows.

I haven't watched any of TV shows, as I don't need/want Disney+. It's just too much and I don't watch much television. I'm old.

no-time-busy.gif

I think someone mentioned this recently somewhere on this forum, perhaps in the Star Wars thread. That TV shows these days essentially being 6-10 hour long movies cut up into hour long sections is just not what makes a show great. TV has unique aspects to it being episodic. And a lot of these Disney+ shows seem to be ran by people normally who are making movies and don't really understand how to create a compelling TV show and are instead just making 6 hour + long movies cut up. It's just not effective storytelling. It's why they're so hit or miss.
I'd rather them do Disney+ Marvel films, than some of these tv shows- if they need content for Disney+ that badly.

I don't think Blade is doomed. All it needs is a re-write and a new director and they should be fine. It wouldn't be the first film (or Marvel film) to need re-writes. As long as the script is half decent they should be able to expand on it.

He/Him
I don't think Blade is doomed. All it needs is a re-write and a new director and they should be fine. It wouldn't be the first film (or Marvel film) to need re-writes. As long as the script is half decent they should be able to expand on it.
That’s true, I’m sure it’ll be fine in the end. But this does seem to be a recurring theme with this phase of films so far.

That’s true, I’m sure it’ll be fine in the end. But this does seem to be a recurring theme with this phase of films so far.
Now that I feel is because they’re spreading themselves too thin. So much of these films/tv shows are new characters which means a whole new development process to launch these new worlds and their slate is too ambition. If it were more traditional spin offs and sequels it would likely be easier to churn stuff out.

Aren't most MCU productions messy? As they are always finishing scrips while shooting, changing things. I get the spreading too thin part, though.