The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

He/Him
Y'all hyping up Namor's thighs so much I hope it's gonna be good.
XBFkfvC.gif

One of the best MCU films since Shang Chi. It was a delight seeing all these actresses using their acting chops and shining brilliantly. What they did with Namor and MCU’d him was a stroke of genius! More Namor please! (Plus Okoye needs her own series or movie).

Despite all this, Disneys VFX was taking me out of the movie here and there. They really need to perfect their Stagecraft/ Volume technique.

He/him
I thought it was pretty much useless. My least favourite Marvel by some distance. I was so looking forward to it.
I haven't seen it yet, but am obviously well aware of the incredible praise it's getting.

Given that the two trailers alone were better than at least 5 MCU movies, I just can't compute that this movie could be the worst one ever?? I know all our tastes are different but this is wild.

What didn't work for you, to the point where it rendered the whole thing useless?

I know the first movie had a slightly stronger initial reception than on repeat viewings but this one I've seen pretty unanimous praise for all the big emotions and the central conflict.

Most the bad is largely just like, a slightly overstuffed story and the standard iffy effects at points.

I'm really glad it's landed where it counts

I haven't seen it yet, but am obviously well aware of the incredible praise it's getting.

Given that the two trailers alone were better than at least 5 MCU movies, I just can't compute that this movie could be the worst one ever?? I know all our tastes are different but this is wild.

What didn't work for you, to the point where it rendered the whole thing useless?

it was structural goo. All performances were indeed lovely but it was just such undisciplined storytelling. I’ll admit I have unusual taste for Marvel films - I loved Multiverse of Madness and Shang Chi which often get a hard time.
I have to say I’ve just read plenty of very negative reviews of Wakanda Forever since I got home so I’m not entirely isolated.

He/him
it was structural goo. All performances were indeed lovely but it was just such undisciplined storytelling. I’ll admit I have unusual taste for Marvel films - I loved Multiverse of Madness and Shang Chi which often get a hard time.
I have to say I’ve just read plenty of very negative reviews of Wakanda Forever since I got home so I’m not entirely isolated.
Shang Chi is brilliant and is in the upper half of most people's MCU rates I would think.

That's a shame that you didn't enjoy it. I haven't read any very negative reviews, and certainly none that would put it at the very bottom of the pile (under Incredible Hulk and Thor 2??) but obviously very few movies cater to absolutely everyone. Did you enjoy the first Black Panther?

Shang Chi is brilliant and is in the upper half of most people's MCU rates I would think.

That's a shame that you didn't enjoy it. I haven't read any very negative reviews, and certainly none that would put it at the very bottom of the pile (under Incredible Hulk and Thor 2??) but obviously very few movies cater to absolutely everyone. Did you enjoy the first Black Panther?
I preferred the first by a long way, though I think this one is better looking (but so dark - felt really underlit for at least half of it).

This was lovely, great fun, brilliantly thoughtful and respectful in just the right ways, centered multiple compelling women, and made Namor about 10x more interesting in terms of back story than his comic origins, while adapting his personality basically perfectly? How they tackled that adaptation, and the films willingness to explore grief, made this a really worthwhile MCU entry. After some real wobbles this gave me the ooh Ah ah sensation again.

The looks were all on-point. So much about the design of the film caught my eye.

Interesting how by the end…

they basically have only begun Namor’s story. Attuma introduced but nothing done with yet, Namora clearly pissed to a degree about how it all went down… give us Namor vs The Fantastic Four vs Attuma’s own Atlantean forces in their film!!!

Pretty solid opening. Just falling short from overtaking MoM. I do think repeat viewings will push it over a billion. This movie is the perfect bookend to Phase 4 with Shang-Chi starting it all (sorry I don’t count Black Widow). Coogler needs to be applauded for establishing some of the most compelling characters in the MCU.

He/him
A billion will be a stretch now, but I hope it does do it. MoM just missed out and it had a much higher global opening. Like you say, it'd come down to repeats. I've not seen it yet, so I can't speak for that appeal.