The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

It is a good movie, but worse than the first one. They treated Chadwick's death with respect and honor, and the set pieces are good (even if the last one feels quite... dry).

The movie has two big problems it can't overcome:

1) not achieving the same wow-factor of seeing Wakanda / afro-futurism for the first time : Talokan is quite drab, dull and visually boring, and the civilization feels quite visually/tonally derivative.

2) lacking star power and chemistry: the explosive trio of Chadwick + Michael + Lupita elevated the first movie beyond regular Marvel fare. Letitia is very far from that. Her character is quite unlikeable (think Harry Potter in the 5th book - she has very valid reasons for her rage, but do the text makes us care?!) and she doesn't have the spark and charisma to tide you over the poorly written plot.

Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira all deliver great work, but they are not the namesake hero - and for that, this movie pales.

I just hated underwater shots. I don’t know how I thought they would be handled, but every actor looked like they were holding their breath in a pool.

Also, I thought the underwater scenes would be so much more visually stunning. But they were dark and murky… if you’re going to provide a “sun” at least let it do its job.

The Black Panther films are two for two on villains who could do ridiculous things to me.

It is a good movie, but worse than the first one. They treated Chadwick's death with respect and honor, and the set pieces are good (even if the last one feels quite... dry).

The movie has two big problems it can't overcome:

1) not achieving the same wow-factor of seeing Wakanda / afro-futurism for the first time : Talokan is quite drab, dull and visually boring, and the civilization feels quite visually/tonally derivative.

2) lacking star power and chemistry: the explosive trio of Chadwick + Michael + Lupita elevated the first movie beyond regular Marvel fare. Letitia is very far from that. Her character is quite unlikeable (think Harry Potter in the 5th book - she has very valid reasons for her rage, but do the text makes us care?!) and she doesn't have the spark and charisma to tide you over the poorly written plot.

Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira all deliver great work, but they are not the namesake hero - and for that, this movie pales.

I completely disagree about the film lacking star power and energy. Letitia did a fantastic job in portraying a maturing Shuri who was consumed by anger. Bitter for a good part of the film, I liked her character arc. The cast was stacked honestly, as much as the original, although Michaela Coel was under-utilised and I wish she’d had a bit more of a role.

Talokan was quite drab and visually unappealing, I would definitely agree on this. It certainly didn’t have the wow factor of Wakanda but it didn’t really pull me out of the film.

I really can’t wait to see more of Namor going forward because Tenoch is utter sex on legs to be quite honest. What a babe. Member of the Avengers please.

Also, the untitled Wakanda series with Danai, do we think it’s going to be Midnight Angels?

Loved it, and it particularly showed the improvement of not having the incessant Marvel humour beaten over your head constantly.

Yeah, I loved it!

There are scenes where that you can actually feel the air being sucked out of the room. It’s a strange feeling for a Marvel movie, but ultimately I found them the most successful moments of the entire film.

I do think they could have given the final action sequence more set-up, and the bit where Shuri and Namor just drone back peacefully felt a little anti-climatic.

There is only one thing I hated about this and it KILLS me, but… Okoye’s Midnight Angels suit is rotten. They did her dirty.

I don't think I've ever finished a Marvel movie that felt silent, or heavy?, after the mid-credits scene. It was so quiet for so long and I swear everyone could hear me sniffling and crying. But I loved it. And I loved the woman that stood up at the end of my showing and said, 'everyone in this room is crying right now' before she left.
I was stunned by the silence at various points. It was dead silent during the opening logo dedicated to Chadwick and like you mentioned, the end scene. The only time you heard anything in my screening was during jokes.

I've always gone on opening night and with the latest Spiderman and Doctor Strange, it was almost unwatchable because people were cheering and screaming during spoiled moments (like the 3 Spider-men appearing). I didn't even experience that during the last two Avengers film, so I did appreciate with Wakanda Forever that the audience was more respectful so I could actually hear everything that happened.

I'm watching this tomorrow and I am very excited.

Box office wise it didn't have a great Monday in the USA (its first Monday is lower than both Thor Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness and is about 1/4th of what the first BP made on its first Monday) which means its legs may not be that great but I am hoping that isn't the case.

I do kinda feel like the final
final boat setpiece and the Wakanda attack setpiece could be swapped. The Wakanda attack was brilliant, and I feel like it had more legs than they gave it credit for. I kinda wish that was the finale and the boat attack was the mid-film action scene. Swapping them would’ve changed what happened to Angela though, so I don’t know.

He/him
I'm watching this tomorrow and I am very excited.

Box office wise it didn't have a great Monday in the USA (its first Monday is lower than both Thor Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness and is about 1/4th of what the first BP made on its first Monday) which means its legs may not be that great but I am hoping that isn't the case.
It is a hefty drop but the first Black Panther only made $40m on the first Monday because it was the President's Day holiday I believe. I'm sure the whole weekend it opened is a holiday 4 day weekend.

And November weekdays are typically lower. Particularly when compared to summer releases, as kids are in school etc. The real test is the 2nd weekend drop.

Last edited:
It was good, not better than the first one in my opinion, but I do agree both are among the best Marvel projects up to date.

The Midnight Angels Suit was the worse thing, it took me off so much, especially with the mask up.

Namor was amazing, I think that was the most interesting part of the movie for me, the implications of finding yet another humanoid race on earth. A little more fanservice with Namor wouldn't have hurt.

I wonder if we will see this representation of Namor in the comics, and how will this affect the character's background in canon, I've seen a lot of positive comments so the fans are here for it, I guess.

I kept wondering if Shuri was going to take the mantel of BP for real or just once to protect her land and at the end they kinda made it ambiguous, which to be honest pissed me off a little. I know Letitia has some opinions but there's no denying of her talents, even in the first movie I was already dreaming for her role to grow and now, because of the circumstances, she can take the spotlight. I hope they keep her around in the suit for at least a couple more projects.

SockMonkey

Staff member
I didn’t really like it. Way down on my list, would probably not even watch again on Disney+

Needed to lose half an hour runtime. Awful pacing. SET PIECE / speech / SET PIECE / speech / another speech / SET PIECE

I absolutely understand and appreciated that the spirit of Chadwick Boseman was a big part of this film (the opening Marvel logo put a lump in my throat) but that was also a problem to some degree - because it wasn’t about T’Challa’s death, it was about Chadwick’s and it took me out of the world they were in.

The cast were all great, wish Michaela Coel had been in it more, some of the CGI was ropey, bored of the end fight scene trope of it always being “significant baddie vs significant hero”. Meh.

The box office will be fine. Its got a month straight with no other major movie hitting or taking up premium screens. Word of mouth is great too. The only major factors I see hurting it are just the fact that its a bit more emotionally intense than other Marvel movies which might hinder repeat viewings and (bleakly) that its a more female led film.

He/him
and (bleakly) that its a more female led film.
This is sadly just facts. There's a vocal and active section of the "fanbase" that try their best to torpedo the female led movies and shows. I'm sure there's also lots that just don't ever want to look past the male heroes to actually realise that all the female leads we're getting are rooted in the comics and have been around just as long as the male ones in some cases. I see so much bullshit online from idiots that think it's the MCU being "woke" or turning into the "M-she-U". Absolute fucking morons.

I think this film can just about outrun it, but I feel like Marvel Fatigue Syndrome is starting to catch on a bit in the wider public. This is totally anecdotal and more feeling-driven than data driven, but I do feel it creeping in a bit more.
I think there's plenty of oil left in the tank but I often think about the Disney Parks setting up Avengers Campus to be heavily screen based so it could be easily swapped out. The more is more approach might eventually backfire, but then again the MCU really is unprecedented sustained success.