The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Oh wow, that could add a nice chunk to Black Panther’s box office regardless. I assume they’ll hold it back on Disney Plus there, if it’s a thing there?

the last one did 108 million in China, so I guess this one will do about 40-50, so it’ll probably end up just short of a billion like Doctor Strange

Last edited:
He/him
Oh wow, that could add a nice chunk to Black Panther’s box office regardless. I assume they’ll hold it back on Disney Plus there, if it’s a thing there?

the last one did 108 million in China, so I guess this one will do about 40-50, so it’ll probably end up just short of a billion like Doctor Strange
Yep that seems pretty likely. It'll probably top out at around $900m total.

Dr Strange 2 being only $48m short of the billion is so frustrating. We all know it has its problems, but there's a lot to enjoy and it's just so close.

I know I'm in the minority that loves the Ant-Man movies over the rest, but this sequel does worry me a bit. I love these films because they're so small in scale compared to the others. This is their first major story so I'm curious if it will still have the humor and sense of fun these films are known for.

He/him
I like the Ant Man movies too and this one looks good. The worst thing about the trailer was Evangeline's awful wig.

Hopefully the introduction of proper big bad Kang can elevate this enough.

The way she has like little or no lines in the trailer skkssk.

My box office predications for this year's slate:

Ant-Man: 800 million (carried by Kang)
Guardians: 1 billion (I think this will do surprisingly well as the emotional final chapter for the Guardians, if it gets a China release)
The Marvels: 500-600 million.

I just watched(-ish) Ms Marvel and found it great, loved the comic elements to it!

So here for Kang being on my screen for the next 100 movies. That man!

I feel like I'm up to date on all things multiverse so far, but kind of still don't know what's going on or how it works. One big question I have is around how the multiverse 'broke'. Was it Wanda, or something in Loki, or when Peter made that wish in NWH?

I really don't get this fascination with the box office returns or predictions.

Like I'm glad people in China can see a film I enjoyed but . . . What does it actually change?

Like I'm glad people in China can see a film I enjoyed but . . . What does it actually change?
It's nice to see something you think deserves success get it, or vice versa. That and box office returns do shape the narrative and future of the franchises they push and characters they push to the forefront.

plus I just get nerdy watching and comparing numbers

It's nice to see something you think deserves success get it, or vice versa. That and box office returns do shape the narrative and future of the franchises they push and characters they push to the forefront.

plus I just get nerdy watching and comparing numbers
Yeah it's definitely interesting in terms in how they shape projects and narratives to come. For example, if The Marvels was to somehow do anywhere near the numbers that the first film did, we'd probably see Carol leading the Avengers in Kang's Dynasty as Kevin originally planned. If it does Eternals numbers, then I can see her role throughout the MCU being significantly reduced. Box Office is important in ways that people don't often expect.

Also this is a pop music forum, of COURSE we care about charts.

He/him

It changes the fundamental decisions behind what movies you get to see and the ones that get shelved.

And with China back on the board, it means the potential for a lot more money to be made, given that it's the 2nd biggest movie market. Movies that might have only pulled a middle of the road box office, could potentially add an extra 1, 2, or $300m. That helps shape the future direction of the phases. There's the importance of pushing into the next $$ bracket too. There's a big difference in optics between a final number with a 7 in front of it and one with an 8, and equally a massive difference between a $900m movie and a billion dollar movie. Getting a massive movie market back in play is a huge deal for Feige.

I wonder if China will show Guardians and The Marvels. I feel like there might be some gayness in the latter which will hinder its chances. The first made 150 million there.

China does take a much larger cut vs other territories so its best viewed as a top up/bonus but evidently Disney have worked hard to build bridges given Avatar managed to get an extension beyond the usual 4 week period and Marvel is back in the fold

He/him
I wonder if China will show Guardians and The Marvels. I feel like there might be some gayness in the latter which will hinder its chances. The first made 150 million there.
Yeah I don't think The Marvels will make the cut. Everything about it screams that it's being made for the gays.

Guardians might though, depending on how low brow some of the humour is. They liked the first 2 movies, they made around $100m each there.

He/him
Joe Locke, our new Wiccan, has posted this from the set of what seems to now be "Agnes of Westview". I'm with Grace on this though, "Coven of Chaos" is way better.

EDIT: OoOoooh I like the suggestion in the replies that it's an episode title, and they're continuing with the TV show theme, as it's the same font and layout as the Mare of Easttown logo.

This is easily at the top of my most anticipated MCU list, along with the Avengers movies.

Jeremy Renner appears to be out of hospital and making good recovery. But it’ll be a long road for him and he may never fully recover.
There also seems to be a video taken right after the accident where you can hear him crying out in agony which makes me very uneasy.