The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Unless Simu has done some work on his on acting, I'm not all that bothered for another Shang-Chi movie. Sure he does the fighting and comical stuff fine enough, but the more serious stuff really felt out of his depth and he doesn't really have the charisma to lead a whole movie.
I feel like he'd be more successful in a team setting. Team him up with some of the street level heroes for a Defenders type movie/series.

He/him
Unless Simu has done some work on his on acting, I'm not all that bothered for another Shang-Chi movie. Sure he does the fighting and comical stuff fine enough, but the more serious stuff really felt out of his depth and he doesn't really have the charisma to lead a whole movie.
I feel like he'd be more successful in a team setting. Team him up with some of the street level heroes for a Defenders type movie/series.
I didn't think he was too bad, but I do agree he'd probably work better as part of a team moving forward, but I think he can feature in the Avengers movies. His powerset is mega, and way too strong for a street level team. He needs to be among the magic/cosmic players.

The post credits scene for Shang Chi with the beacon.

I was wondering if both his rings and Kamala’s bangles were Kang tech but with Kang supposedly being dumped, I wonder what they’ll do now.

I didn't think he was too bad, but I do agree he'd probably work better as part of a team moving forward, but I think he can feature in the Avengers movies. His powerset is mega, and way too strong for a street level team. He needs to be among the magic/cosmic players.
Not necessarily. Street level teams need their own powerhouses and I feel like his history and rogues gallery better reflects the more urban kind of team. I also don’t want too many hyper powered members on the main team, it makes it a bit less urgent.

He/him
Not necessarily. Street level teams need their own powerhouses and I feel like his history and rogues gallery better reflects the more urban kind of team. I also don’t want too many hyper powered members on the main team, it makes it a bit less urgent.
We've already established the powerset he has from the rings, so yeah it could still be done. If they were taken or destroyed, it'd bring him out of that league and into more of the street level, amazing hand to hand fighter category.

We've already established the powerset he has from the rings, so yeah it could still be done. If they were taken or destroyed, it'd bring him out of that league and into more of the street level, amazing hand to hand fighter category.
Okay but what I’m saying that is even with his rings he would still fit in with a street level team as they also need powerhouses and he has more links to that area of team. He’d stand out more and have a chance to shine. In a proper Avengers team with the likes of Carol, Wanda, Thor etc he’d be overshadowed and outclassed.

He/him
Okay but what I’m saying that is even with his rings he would still fit in with a street level team as they also need powerhouses and he has more links to that area of team. He’d stand out more and have a chance to shine. In a proper Avengers team with the likes of Carol, Wanda, Thor etc he’d be overshadowed and outclassed.
I'm not sure we'll be seeing much of Carol moving forward unfortunately. She'll probably be "very busy" planet hopping and all that.

But you might be right, maybe that's where he'd be best. Assuming Simu even gets the call. It doesn't even make much sense that we've not seen him again already.

Last edited:
The post credits scene for Shang Chi with the beacon.

I was wondering if both his rings and Kamala’s bangles were Kang tech but with Kang supposedly being dumped, I wonder what they’ll do now.
I'm sure it was in Ms Marvel we saw the Ten Rings in relation to the bangles, I really want that explained/explored

I'm not sure we'll be seeing much of Carol moving forward unfortunately. She'll probably be "very busy" planet hopping and all that.

But you might be right, maybe that's where he'd be best. Assuming Simu even gets the call. It doesn't even make much sense that we've not seen him again already.
It would be so Marvel of them to ditch one of the only viable female supes we have going forward.

Some of the stuff going on "street level" in the comics right now is so fascinating that I hope we do get something. It'll be a nice way to bring in stories from the Netflix show and give us some good Hand action.

he/him
A sequel to Shang-Chi is currently being developed according to The Hollywood Reporter. They reported it when they broke the news about a Naruto film being developed by Destin Daniel Cretton

I really enjoyed The Marvels but given its box office performance it's won't be too surprising to see them pivot away from Captain Marvel.
I really think it was because of the strike. They didn't get to promote the film. It really just was an unfortunate time to release it.

I really think it was because of the strike. They didn't get to promote the film. It really just was an unfortunate time to release it.
The strike certainly didn’t help, but I don’t think it would have done THAT much better without it? Maybe 100 million more, but even then it would have been seen as a huge underperformance.

I think the main issue was that The Marvels held all of Marvels very public problems on its shoulders from the reception to a lot of the last projects unfortunately.

This might be a bit of a reach. Incels just weren't here for a female-fronted superhero movie unfortunately. The mixed critical response and MCU-fatigue also didn't help.

Yeah I really think the failure of The Marvels can't be put on just one thing, at the time of release the odds were really stacked against it.

I think it's a fun movie and one of the better releases post-Endgame.

It is strange we're in unknown territory, it feels like the first real MCU flop and so we don't know how they'll move any of the characters forward, I really hope they can look past the failure and keep all 3 characters around.

Subwaykid

Staff member
The Marvels never looked like an appointment viewing but some of the ad taglines billing it as “everything is going to change” with the X-men tease, after Quantumania was being touted as important only to end up completely inconsequential (and panned), didn't help. The rest of the marketing didn’t really make a strong appeal either, showing a barely coherent plot and two characters you had to watch two separate tv shows to know. Plus the “it’s going to be on streaming at some point” factor. It was the worst criticisms of the MCU all put together, without even getting into the misogyny.

He/him
I definitely hope we'll see both Carol and Monica again. I know it's an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't be at all bothered if it's a while before Ms Marvel makes another movie appearance. She's cute and fun, and Iman is extremely endearing, and clearly loves this material, but I find the character too hammy, and her acting is a bit too Disney channel for me.

I'm all for comedy, and Ragnarok is top 5 MCU for me (and I suspect Deadpool 3 will be too) but I also think I appreciate my MCU blockbusters to be more grand and epic, with a darker undertone. I think everything connected to Ms Marvel and her family dynamic is just too much on the side of silly slapstick.

But yes, while I did enjoy The Marvels, it screamed that it was a streaming movie.