The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Guess all flatscan content has been flopping and they're relying on mutants to save them as usual
I see what you did there…
giphy.gif

As nervous as I am, and as relatively uninterested as I am in the MCU these days, X-Men 97 being the buzziest thing they've done in years and Deadpool and Wolverine sure to do well makes me happy as an X-Fan. I just don't want the latter convincing Feige Logan needs to be the main character.

I've never been arsed by Wolverine at all. I like the group dynamics of the X-Men but I don't think there was a single character, from the portrayals we've seen, that really deserved that much dedicated hype. Maybe Halle Berry's Storm but that's about it.

I've never been arsed by Wolverine at all. I like the group dynamics of the X-Men but I don't think there was a single character, from the portrayals we've seen, that really deserved that much dedicated hype. Maybe Halle Berry's Storm but that's about it.
Storm would have been a great counterpoint to Wolverine in the movies. A mutant who was celebrated and revered as a goddess. Vs an "old", lonely, hot tempered killing machine. However they are also both loyal and caring individuals.

It's unfortunate that in the movies the X-Women were relegated to window dressing and used as plot devices to prop up the male characters. If X-Men'97 came out before the movies, people would rightfully say....

giphy.gif

None of the other FOX X-Men were developed enough to costar in this Deadpool movie except perhaps Charles, Eric or Mystique, though nobody really wants JLaw's Mystique back. I'm sure the new MCU X-Men will be more of an ensemble. I'm not bothered by the return of Wolverine because Hugh always did a fantastic job with this version of the character even when the writing wasn't the best. He held a lot of the weaker entries in the franchise together IMO.

He/Him
He didn't have to hold a lot of the weaker entries of the franchise together if they actually used and developed many of the women in the franchise to their full potential. Instead, the women were used as eye candy/window dressing and never really had time to grow. Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue were all there, waiting to show development and growth. We got a nearly mute Jean Grey as The Phoenix, the studio tricking Halle Berry into joining and then cutting all the scenes she wanted, and more... We don't ever get to see them do anything big. Then the reboot happened and we get Mystique but she's nothing like the character in the original films or comics - just a blue Jennifer Lawrence in a bad wig.

Though, I don't think anyone has an issue with him costaring in Deadpool - it's that they don't want Wolverine as a character to take over the MCU. I do hope they bring in some Fox women characters who don't just instantly die or are brief cameos though.

Okay, I'll do it and defend her a little bit: I think Jennifer Lawrence did good in Days of Future Past and could be my favourite Mystique-movie (X2 is obviously a close second). She had the most agency and her actions were very her.

I don't think Mystique will appear any time soon in a MCU reboot.

I remember being hopelessly optimistic and making out the silhouette of Rogue in the trailer when the X-Men form a line on Alcatraz. I vaguely remember false rumours of Rogue permanently absorbing Juggernaut's powers and gaining superhuman strength.

My biggest hope for any future X-Men film is that we get a better Rogue. I don’t know how you cast an amazing actress and give her absolutely nothing to do. As someone who grew up with the comics, I really struggled to believe that was even Rogue. They did all of the female characters dirty but Rogue really got played for a fool.

He/Him
Jennifer Lawrence played the character as it was written on page - even before she blew up, on First Class, Mystique was Xavier's friendly adoptive sister. Blaming her as if she personally wrote the scripts seems a little odd
Yes, the screenwriters are the biggest issue with most of the X-Men films - she was miscast for the role too but perfectly cast for the bland version of the character on screen. It was Jennifer Lawrence playing Jennifer Lawrence.

The writing Rogue bothered me the most...She was a wet, confused teenager in the first one which was fine as it felt like the start of something great, but they just...stopped developing her in future movies, the fact she gave up her powers in the third one...girl.

Reactions: BTG
Rogue giving her powers up in The Last Stand was the proof, if any needed, that absolutely no one involved in those movies had a clue.

I know she’s considered it in the comics but to have her go through with it was just so against the spirit of the series.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Remember Dark Phoenix?

Why not just ask Femke back?? It would've been so much better. Though killing off
Mystique
definitely did not help either. Terrible film.