The Marvel Cinematic Universe | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Shockbox, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Lupita Nyong’o as an action heroine and Letitia Wright making Bond’s Q look like a GCSE science student in comparison are things I never knew I needed until this film. Mesmerising from start to finish.

2. Honestly, my favourite Marvel film so far. The emotional stakes were high and it delivered. Phenomenal visuals, sick soundtrack and all the looks were on point. Action scenes were well done and funny scenes never felt gratuitous or contrived.

Oh, and Angela Bassett. Queen Mother indeed!

3. Loved Nakia, Okoye and Shuri. (Literally) Wig snatched! T'Challa and Killmonger were serviceable. The soundtrack stood out as well and, thank Bast, they didn't make a wisecracker out of T'Challa. I also liked how they handled the more mystic side of the Black Panther mythology. It made for some pretty scenes. The best part (and the best action) was easily the part in
    Busan, South Korea
    . I was on the edge of my seat and it reminded me, in a good way, of 'The Winter Soldier'. I feared it could've been a prologue to 'Infinity Wars', but that luckily wasn't the case. It stood on its own very well.

Things I didn't like:
    - The overall story was predictable and rather cliché.
    - Some dodgy CGI, not really bad, but it could've been better.
    - Wakanda was too futuristic for my taste. It looked more like an alien planet. Why not more a tangible and grounded feel, which makes you really experience you're in a fictive African nation?
    - For all its advancement, Wakanda wasn't exactly presented as a place where I want to live.
    Those duels didn't make much sense and were a weird way to decide who will be king.
    - Vibranium this, vibranium that! It seemingly makes thing too easy. I wish it looked more like a real ore, instead of some alien shiny substance just to make Black Panther's suit look good in the dark.

Overall, it was a better MCU movie than the 2017 batch.

4. Was brilliant. Marvel are wiping the floor with DC.

5. I was surprised that it did actually feel like different to other Marvel movies, happy my prediction that Danai Gurira would be great came true and despite it getting some criticism for not having enough action I enjoyed its slower pace

I do wish they didn't kill off Klaw and just put him in prison in Wakanda instead but his death wasn't wasted and drove the story more by getting people some on side with Killmonger in Wakanda, also the first end credit scene could have been in the movie but I like the ending with the kid and most people know Marvel has at least one end credit scene now

6. The movie was brilliant, quite simply I bloody loved it.

I saw it at Cineworld in 4DX and when she ripped her wig off and chucked it, they sprayed out a burst of air as it whizzed by. AMAZING.

7. Awesome film and it felt fresh for Marvel.

Okoye was the standout and Killmonger was hot!

8. He really was.

9. Really enjoyed it. Entertaining while also grounded in modern-day realities.

My only criticism is the time they spent establishing Andy Serkis only for him to be an irrelevant B-tier villain.

spillett likes this.
  10. I kind of liked that though because you didn't really see it coming.

11. Yeah, I was also surprised. Though I liked Andy Serkis in the role, Killmonger made for a better main villain.

spillett likes this.
  12. I loved it

As well as the more talked about groundbreaking predominantly black cast, the female representation was also Marvel’s best yet.
    Okoye and Shuri were obviously great but I also loved Nakia who seems a lot less discussed, I didn’t expect her to get in on the action as much as she did. I need to see it again.

I can’t believe Infinity War is next.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Robert, alanmr and spillett like this.
  13. Is it actually good, or is it good in the same sense as Wonder Woman where it was pretty poor except significant for the female representation?

facesincondensation likes this.
  14. It's the 8.5/9 out of 10 type of good.

alanmr and Chris_P like this.
  15. It’s a much better and more exciting film than Wonder Woman.

16. It's better than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was brought down by a generic villain and finale.

The story of Black Panther isn't special and a bit predictable in places, but at least it didn't go for tiring mass destruction. It also avoided the kind of annoying and sameish humour that plagued previous Marvel movies. Then there are Okoye, Nakia and Shuri... .

What the story does well, is showing and talking about the pro's and cons of both T'Challa's and Killmonger's points of views, so it avoids becoming too preachy for its own sake.

I would score it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. It's a decent blockbuster that (I hope) can/will have a positive impact.

Chris_P likes this.
  17. I definitely agree it was slightly predictable in places but that didn’t bother me too much. I don’t get the criticisms of ‘not enough action’ the Korea and finale parts were both pretty thrilling to me.

alanmr and New Flame like this.
  18. And a trite stereotypical romance, and how it merely touched on the issues it gets credit for.

Okay, that sounds promising!

New Flame likes this.
  19. Gal’s Wonder Woman is 5/5. The film that surrounds her is 2.5/5. She kind of made Justice League enjoyable for me given how much screen time she got.

alanmr, Chris_P and New Flame like this.
  20. Also ‘All The Stars’ is a bop and a half.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.