The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel | The Popjustice Forum

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Heartthrob, Dec 1, 2017.

1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a new Amazon series from Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls. It stars Rachel Brosnahan (House of Cards) as Midge Maisel, a 50s housewife who decides to become a stand-up comedian. It also stars Alex Borstein (the original Sookie in Gilmore Girls) as her manager, Susie, and Michael Zegen (the sort of hot/sort of love interest in Frances Ha) as her husband, Joel.

All 8 episodes of the first season are available to stream now on Amazon Prime.

Anyone else watched this yet?

junglefish and DoggySwami like this.
  2. I watched the pilot and it was genius. It didn't surprise me that Amazon would order 2 seasons right away.

I'll start watching the season today.

junglefish and Heartthrob like this.
  3. Watched the first two so far & really enjoying it.

Heartthrob likes this.
  4. 3 episodes in and loooooooooving it.

junglefish and Heartthrob like this.
  5. I’ve finished the season and can’t wait for more. Perfect antidote to my seasonal affective disorder and the general mess this fall has been for the entertainment industry. Susie is easily one of my favorite characters of the year.

lushLuck, DoggySwami and truman like this.
  6. I finished it tonight but the last episode was so disappointing.

Too much focus on her husband, really. I just don't care for their relationship because he's such a prick.

junglefish and lushLuck like this.
  7. I finished it and I loved it. One of the best shows around for sure.

And it seems like it will be Amazon's much needed critics darling, as it has already landed three Critic's Choice nominations (Best comedy series, best actress, and best supporting actress).

lushLuck likes this.
  8. Nominated for Best Comedy at the Golden Globes! So well deserved, and I'm sure this will put it on the map for a lot of people.

Let's see if Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein can also get one for best comedy actress and supporting.

lushLuck and stopthestatic like this.
  9. Just finished this tonight & easily one of the best pieces of TV I've seen this year! Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein deserve every award imaginable.

I agree the show spent a bit too much time on the husband as the season drew to a close, but I thought it all ended so beautifully, I could care less. I'm already antsy for more episodes. I hope Midge's coworkers get more screentime next season as they were one of my favorite parts.

10. I've been binging this when I was supposed to be working from home, it's so good.

junglefish, DoggySwami and lushLuck like this.
  11. Another nomination for the show, this time by the Costume Designers Guild, in the category of Excellence in Period Television.

The nominees are:

The Crown – Jane Petrie

Feud: Bette and Joan – Lou Eyrich

Glow – Beth Morgan

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Donna Zakowska

Stranger Things – Kim Wilcox

junglefish and lushLuck like this.
  12. The show won Best Comedy Series and Best Comedy Actress at the Critic's Choice Awards, which hopefully consolidates it as a serious awards contender beyond the Golden Globes' known preference for new products so they can earn the tag of trendsetters.

lushLuck and Heartthrob like this.
  13. Another win, from the Producers Guild Awards for episodic television, comedy. They are really winning everything they get nominated for.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. pdf

pdf

Just started this and it is a total delight.
    American PJers - is/was Rachel Brosnahan a well known actress? I was not aware of her at all.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. No, this is her breakout. She'd done a lot of small, guest/supporting roles in various TV shows, but this is her first major gig.

pdf likes this.
  16. Get ready for a new season. It looks bonkers, colourful, joyful, very Amy. Designers and costumers are doing an amazing job.

Terminus likes this.
  17. How deserving and iconic that not only Amy has become the first woman to win a writing and directing Emmy, but she also did it back to back, not even having time to get off the stage:

Cosimo likes this.
  18. Finally! So much praise for this series and they’re only on one season yet! I hadn’t noticed before that they were already renewed for a third season. I wonder if we’ll see Lauren Graham pop up this upcoming season.

19. I adore this show. It somehow manages to tackle serious issues while being warm and funny.

20. Season 2 premieres December 5!

Cosimo, Rhombus and Heartthrob like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.