The Miley Cyrus Discography Rate Part 2 - #11 I Need Something New + THE TOP 10!!! | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

The Miley Cyrus Discography Rate Part 2 - #11 I Need Something New + THE TOP 10!!!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Music Is Death, Feb 8, 2021.

?

What's your favorite album featured here?

1. Bangerz

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Younger Now

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. SHE IS COMING

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Plastic Hearts

29 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. So I feel like for a little bit I'm going to have not do eliminations on weekends at all. I have been crazy busy during them, and that looks to be the case for th ethereal next few as well. This will mean attempting more eliminations on days during the week but it's hard to know when to schedule them since I have the sleep schedule of a vampire these days, hence the weird times I've I've posting them.
    Anyway, you will know tonight what the second part of the tie is, and it's song I'm immensely happy made it this far, while simultaneously wishing it went farther.

Maki, M24, soratami and 1 other person like this.
  2. I feel like I am tagged in every single elimination post. Clearly Miley and I only work in extremes.

3. So I posted this, fell asleep soon after and then woke up with a fever. So I've been sick the past day. But I feel much better now and am actually ready to do the next elimination nn.

Maki, Phonetics Girl and soratami like this.
  4. #36 (Tie Part 2) – Love Someone: 7.615
    YoungerNow-09-LoveSomeone.png
    Highest: 1x11 (@Yeziirl) 2x10s (Me @Phonetics Girl) 1x9 (@spaceship) 1x8.75 (@Maki)
    Lowest: 1x4 (@yeRleDanaL) 2x5s (@Cutlery @An Insider) 1x6 (@boombazookajoe)
    My Score: 10
    Favorite Lyric: It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd ever be your wife.
    (Probably one of my favorite Miley lyrics ever because of how straightforward and scathing it is)
    Trajectory
    5 Voters: #15
    10 Voters: #24
    15 Voters: #27
    20 Voters: #33
    24 Voters: #36
    Total Points: 182.75

Like the rest of Younger Now, Love Someone was written and produced by Miley and Oren Yoel. It was released on September 29, 2017 as track 9 of the album.

So this is low-key my favorite song on the album, besides Malibu. And one of my favorite Miley songs in general. I feel like this song captures what this album is trying to be and does it perfectly. The bluesy, country rock sounds is perfect for Miley, and she sounds amazing here. This song is the perfect head nodding, foot tapping, butt shaking sassy as hell kind of song. Miley sounds pissed as hell throughout, and ready to tear this guy apart. I feel like this is clearly another example of Miley's subconcius showing she didn't want to be with Liam, and that he wasn't really giving her what she needed. Also the melodies are soooo good throughout. The verses are ridiculously catchy and the chorus is anthemic in it's freedom. And the bridge is absolutely wonderful. I'm honestly so so happy this went as far as it did, and it's ranked in the top four from the album. It can never have gotten too far in my opinion (other than winning,which I knew wouldn't happen) but I'm ecstatic it made top 40, and even got an 11.

Sadly, there wasn't much commentary for this. @boombazookajoe (6) doesn't know joy: It just doesn't inspire any sort of excitement from me. I'm sorry about that for you. @spaceship (9) speaks my language: The guitar riff is amazing Low-key the best production element across the album, change my mind. And @M24 (6.5) gets a totally different song stuck in my head: The way she had a breakup song on an album that she recorded/promoted while she was engaged to Liam… the signs were there I guess. The lyric "it'll be a cold day in hell before I'd ever be your wife" is so brutal… and she was right. I mean, technically she became his wife. It just didn't last long ddd.

Yeziirl, GimmeWork, Maki and 10 others like this.
  5. M24

M24

I'd forgotten this one was still in ddd. I like it, but I think now was the right time for it to leave.

Younger Now is hanging on by a thread now, though I suppose Malibu rightfully still has a long way to go (if y'all did things right).

6. #35 – Do My Thang: 7.635
    Bangerz-11. Do My Thang.png
    Highest: 2x9.5s (@Ana Raquel @Milotic) 4x9s (@Yeziirl @soratami @swim @M24) 4x8.5s (Me @AllGagaLike @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Cutlery)
    Lowest: 1x5.5 (@pop3blow2) 6x6s (@Butterfly @yeRleDanaL @GimmeWork @Phonetics Girl @An Insider @Guy)
    My Score: 8.5
    Favorite Lyric: It's a huge bop but the lyrics are definitely not it's strong suit ddd.

Trajectory
    5 Voters: #47
    10 Voters: #53
    15 Voters: #30
    20 Voters: #35
    24 Voters: #35
    Total Points: 183.25

Do My Thang was written by William Adams, Michael McHenry, Ryan "DJ Replay" Buendia, Kyle Edwards, Jean-Baptiste and Miley. It was produced by McHenry, Edwards and will.i.am, and included as track 11 of Bangerz, released on September 30, 2013.

When I first listened to Bangerz in full, this was one of my favorite songs on the album. I was only around 14 at the time but I absolutely lived for this. Over the years I've lost some love for it, but do I bop my ass off while singing along to every single word whenever it comes on? Yes. Yes I do. What can I say? The song slaps. It's the lyrics and delivery in the verses that have brought it down for me to be honest. Like, yes it's trashy and messy and fun, but that doesn't mean it ranks high in her discography. I'm actually kinda surprised it did this well, but it was scored pretty consistently acorss the board so that definitely helped. I'm assuming most of us just gave in to it all. It's just dumb fun, and that's all it's trying to be, which does increase the enjoyable factor. But again, Miley can't really rap, and her delivery in the verses really highlights how clunky the lyrics are if you pay attention to them. But the production is soooo good. I actually forgot will.i.am was involved in this song, partly because I don't think you can really tell he had anything to do with it. My favorite element of the song is of course the hype-building handclaps, but the buzzing synth adds a certain edge to the verses that works for me as well. I like how the first part of the chorus is stripped back with mainly just the siren-esque synths and piano notes heard before the handclaps come in. In general I feel like there's almost a sense of controlled chaos in the production that fits really well with the message of doing whatever you want and having fun. The chorus is honestly euphoric in it's freedom, boosted by it's melody and it actually feels like Miley is inviting us to join her in that euphoria. It really makes the song for me and is obviously the best part.

Y'all had quite a bit to say about this one. Lowest scorer @pop3blow2 (5.5) got a snort out of me: Ummm, please do a different thang. Miley? Doing different things? What a concept ddddd. @Butterfly (6) echoes one of my sentiments: Love the chorus, hate the verses. I don't hate them, just dislike them. But yes. @boombazookajoe (7.5) mentions an already deceased song: Another trashy ass bop like Love Money Party. While they aren't my favorite additions to the album, I appreciate the flavor switch up. I like the switch ups they provide as well. You can never say Bangerz is a boring listen as an album. @Maki (7.75) is slightly conflicted: I always forget about this song when seeing its title, but enjoy it every time it's playing. Not sure how to feel about the verses, but that pre-chorus is great. I like that odd beat drop, too. The lyrics can definitely serve as Miley's anthem. The pre-chorus slaps for sure, forgot to mention that. And I wonder how many lyrical anthems Miley has nn. @spaceship (8) uses the "b" word: It's basic but in all the right ways I mean, you're not wrong. @Yeziirl (9) praises Miley's voice: I like Miley’s low register when she raps and I wish she would have done more of that! I love Miley's lower register in general, and I'm glad she's been using it more often lately. Lastly, @M24 (9) disagrees with me and Butterfly: I was prepared to hate it when I first heard it. I've seen the light now… the drop is actually not bad, quite melodic. I think the verses are the best thing here though: the lines "I'M A SOUTHERN BELLE, CRAZIER THAN HELL" and "BANG BITCH, YOU THINK I'M STRANGE, BITCH?" always give me life. I'm glad you don't hate it ddd. But the verses are no where near as good as the chorus.

Yeziirl, GimmeWork, Maki and 10 others like this.
  7. We stan Milene for always getting the best out of will.i.am.

Maki and Music Is Death like this.
  8. So that kicks off the first of a string of eliminations that will happen today on this fine morning. And yes I said string. Finally getting back to multiple eliminations a day, and every song that leaves today will be from a different section.

Before the next one gets posted though, I'd like to bring your attention to a random development. Not sure exactly when, but sometime this year, Hannah Montana 2 and Meet Miley Cyrus were separated on streaming services. It's great that the latter is finally a part of Miley's artist page, as that is something that's been bothering me for years. I'm bringing this to your attention in case any of y'all wanted to revisit these classic and extremely boppy albums, or maybe even listen to them for the first time, which I highly recommend.

9. Well some of you clearly aren't crazier than hell Southern belles

M24, Music Is Death and Milotic like this.
  10. Kekeke

Maki and Music Is Death like this.
  11. Yeaaaaahh. Tuesday was my niece's first birthday and I had forgotten that we were doing a small celebration here at the house when I wrote that. And then yesterday I had slight fever that drained my energy to the point that I slept for over 12 hours dddd. Basically this month has been super busy and kinda sucky, but I'm hoping to finish it strong. And once again, I'm kicking off eliminations early today, but not making any promises because I don't want to end up eating my words again. Also, I was wrong about the next few songs being from different albums, because I forgot this was #34 nn.

#34 – On My Own: 7.729
    Bangerz-15. On My Own.png
    Highest: 2x10s (Me @aux) 1x9.5 (@BubblegumBoy) 2x9s (@Yeziirl @yeRleDanaL) 1x8.75 (@Maki) 1x8.5 (@pop3blow2)
    Lowest: 1x5 (@Butterfly) 2x6s (@Milotic @An Insider) 1x6.5 (@M24)
    Favorite Lyric: Don't be afraid of alone. You'll get it done on your own.
    (It hypes me up every time I hear it. Much like the song as a whole.)
    Trajectory
    5 Voters: #33
    10 Voters: #30
    15 Voters: #32
    20 Voters: #31
    24 Voters: #34
    Total Points: 185.5

On My Own was written and produced by Pharrell Williams It was released on September 30, 2013 as track 15 of the deluxe edition of Bangerz. It is the highest ranked bonus track from Bangerz, and the second overall, with Edge Of Midnight being the top ranked bonus. I wonder how long it'll be before we see that one.

If y'all had told me before the rate started that this would outrank Rooting For My Baby, I would've called you crazy. But I'm not mad it happened. I've always felt like this song was underrated and I'm glad to see it do so well. It's an absolute bop with the groovy, funky guitars pairing well with the dance-your-butt-off beats and drums. Miley brings the perfect amount of sass, attitude and confidence into her voice that matches well with the empowering lyrics about doing what you need to do for yourself. Framed around the end of an unfulfilling relationship gives the song an extra kick in my opinion, as it adds a sense of freedom to everything, which I feel like Miley was probably feeling after the end of her engagement with Liam. The song never fails to inspire that same confidence in me whenever I listen to it. It always makes me feel like I can take on the world and accomplish anything I set my mind to, and I don't need any kind of partner to help get me there. The post-chorus in general is probably my favorite part. It brings in all the elements in the production and kicks them up to an 11 with a mind-numbingly catchy melody and an extremely fun delivery from Miley. All in all, this is a really great song, and I'm glad it nearly made the top 30 here.

Love it when all the commentary is positive. @boombazookajoe (7) shouts: This is fun! Yup! @spaceship (8) mentions an element I forgot to: The bass line is so infectious. It really is. Perfect for shaking your booty. @M24 (6.5) will be happy about this beating the other two bonuses: The real bonus track that got away (Rooting for My Baby fans will kill me for saying that ddd). I'll keep it in rotation because those lyrics are motivational af. Also, this sounds nothing like a Pharrell Williams production. Which is a plus for me and the rest of the forum I guess. Really? it definitely sounds like a Pharrell song to me ddd. And @Maki (8.75) has a simple question: The bonus tracks of this album are so damn good. I'll probably call this one my favourite out of the three, but they're all on the same level of greatness. Amazing 80's influences, especially from a certain male artist, and Miley's vocal delivery really lives up to that sound. This is such a bop, why wasn't it included on the standard album version? Honestly wouldn't have been mad if this and Rooting For My Baby had switched places with My Darlin' and Love Money Party nn.

Yeziirl, GimmeWork, Maki and 8 others like this.
  12. Same.

13. Wondering if this one might be a bit of a surprise?

#33 – D.R.E.A.M.: 7.74
    SIC-03-Dream.png
    Highest: 2x10s (Me @boombazookajoe) 3x9s (@Butterfly @Milotic @An Insider) 4x8.5s (@AllGagaLike @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Remorque @Guy)
    Lowest: 4x6s (@GimmeWork @swim @aux @M24) 5x7s (@BubblegumBoy @yeRleDanaL @Phonetics Girl @spaceship @Ana Raquel)
    Favorite Lyric: You're in my bed invited. It's fine 'cause I'm in the mood.
    (I feel like this opening couplet really captures the bleakness of this entire song and just hits like a gut punch when you first hear it.)
    Trajectory
    5 Voters: #27
    10 Voters: #27
    15 Voters: #33
    20 Voters: #34
    24 Voters: #33
    Total Points: 185.75

D.R.E.A.M. was written by Miley, John Cunningham, Ilsey Juber, Clifford Smith, Corey Woods, David Porter, Dennis Coles, Isaac Hayes, Jason Hunter, Lamont Hawkins, Robert Diggs and Russell Jones. It samples the Wu-Tang Clan song C.R.E.A.M., hence the multitude of credits, and was produced by Cunningham and RZA. It was released on May 31, 2019 as track 3 of SHE IS COMING.

So I've loved this since the EP's release. The melancholic vibe fits in well with songs like We Can't Stop and Space Bootz, among others, continuously proving Miley does melancholy extremely well. The production sounds like a wonderful mix of Bangerz and Dead Petz, adding to the idea that the SHE IS MILEY CYRUS project would've been a mix of all the sounds she had done before. And I promise I won't shut up everything I love about this song. But first I have to get one thing out of the way: Ghostface Killah's verse completely kills the mood, comes out of nowhere and does not fit the song at all. It's too in your face and aggressive, and the fact that it closes the song is really messy. Miley should have just done a bridge and final chorus, but of course she didn't. I personally always skip as soon as Miley is done. Now, back to the positive stuff. I love the guitar in the production the most. It adds a nice base to the song that props up the beats and synths surrounding it. The melodies are really pretty and flow so well, making the song catchy while still expressing the melancholy. Miley of course uses her voice perfectly throughout, expressing and emoting in the best way. This is a really gorgeous and heartbreaking song at it's core, and I'm honestly kinda surprised it missed the top 30. I wonder if anyone else will be.

A couple of y'all heard what I heard. @M24 (6) is with me on the rap: It's a bit of a continuation of Unholy, isn't it? The outro is awful though, and that's one reason why I give it a relatively low score. Also, I've been conditioned to expect RuPaul's voice at the end of a song ddd. I don't know if that's a positive or a negative. Dddd I think that depends on if you want to expect RuPaul's voice, but I personally think that's a bad thing. @Maki (7.25) also hears the previous albums: This is really cute. It sounds like "Bangerz" Miley woke up in "Dead Petz" Miley's bed and vice versa. It's far from a highlight, though I find it enjoyable every time I listen to it. Except from that rap. Whatever was that tacked on mess (I love the instrumental during it, though). It's a good instrumental but it also almsot completely sounds like it's from a different song. And that bothers me. However, my partner in 10 @boombazookajoe disagrees with us: What a dreamy (no pun intended) song. I feel like I'm on a wave while listening. Ghostface Killah's agressive verse is the perfect juxtoposition, showing the extreme highs and lows one can feel while being, well, high. Well if that's what they were going for, great, but it still annoys the fuck out of me from an enjoyment standpoint dddd.

Yeziirl, GimmeWork, Maki and 8 others like this.
  14. I am sad about the next song being eliminated.

M24, Maki, Mirwais Ahmadzaï and 3 others like this.
  15. D.R.E.A.M. (or once again, that entire She Is Coming EP) is top tier Miley. I even love the use of the sample for the outro. Nice to see it lasted a while in here, I see little but hate for it elsewhere.

Music Is Death likes this.
  16. Did y'all catch the hint?

#32 – Karen Don’t Be Sad: 7.75
    Deadpetz-02.KarenDontBeSad.png
    Highest: 5x10s (@Butterfly @Phonetics Girl @boombazookajoe @pop3blow2 @aux) 1x9.5 (Me) 1x9 (@Mirwais Ahmadzaï) 1x8.5 (@Guy)
    Lowest: 1x2 (@Yeziirl) 1x4 (@Ana Raquel) 1x5 (@GimmeWork) 1x5.75 (@Remorque)
    My Score: 9.5
    Favorite Lyric: You know you're only letting 'em win by letting all their lies and hate destroy you from within.
    (Miley speaking the truth here.)
    Trajectory
    5 Voters: #60
    10 Voters: #42
    15 Voters: #46
    20 Voters: #37
    24 Voters: #32
    Total Points: 186

Karen Don't Be Sad was written by Miley, Wayne Coyne, The Aristocrats and Steven Drozd and produced by Miley, The Flaming Lips, Dennis Coyne and Dave Fridmann. It was released on August 30, 2015 as track 2 of Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz. It is the highest ranked song in the rate with this team of producers.

So I realized something listening to this. I must have downgraded my Dead Petz scores. Because this is an easy 10 and always has been, so I have no idea what I was thinking. This is an absolutely gorgeous, breathtaking song and I think one of Miley's best ballads in this part of her career at least - and that is saying something. The production is so soothing and calm, it almost feels like sinking into a warm bath. The synths and spacey effects keep the song interesting, and add colors and bubbles to that bath. I feel like the drums and guitar at the core are pretty standard in terms of the structure as a ballad, but they add a base to the song that makes it very easy to listen to and enjoy, and the instrumental melodies add to the peaceful vibe. And the song is wonderfully written. I feel like it would have been easy for this to sound preachy but Miley brings a sense of understanding to the lyrics and through her voice that gives the song a feeling of camaraderie. Miley understands what Karen's going through because she's been there too, and wants to support her. It's a wonderful moment on the album, and almost gives you whiplash following the abrasive opener. This is the proper mood setter for what follows, and the perfect way to set the tone of the album. I'm ecstatic it made it as far as it did, and is in the top 7 of the album, but obviously I wish it had been top 30. And it would have been if it wasn't for that 2. In fact it would've gone all the way to #25. @Yeziirl better explain himself since he didn't send commentary for this.

Speaking of commentary, only a few of you sent some, but it's wonderfully all positive. I feel like @M24 (7.5) needs a hug: The way she's got me sympathizing with a Karen ddd just kidding, poor women named Karen that became an internet stereotype. It's a lovely song, and the lyrics are top-notch: "the world can still be beautiful, but that part's up to you" is a very wise phrase that I try to remind myself every time I'm down and feel like the world is awful. Part of me still rationally thinks it is, given the way that it works and how at the end of the day it all ends in death. Sorry for the philosophical rambling ddd (very worthy of an album whose unifying theme is dead pets, right?). All I want to say is that I'm glad I'm now familiarized with this song so I can play it when I'm feeling down to fight the rational/pessimistic thoughts. I too feel bad for non-Kareny Karens dddd. And hope you're doing okay sis, here to talk if you need to. @Maki (8.25) knows something I don't: Aw, this is so endearing and touching, especially knowing its background. The dreamy production definitely adds to that charm. It might not be a song I return to often, but it's surprisingly nice when I do listen to it. I couldn't find anything about it's background, so please share with the class, thanks xx. And finally, @boombazookajoe (10) closes us out with a laugh: This song was already a 10, but now I like to reimagine this song as Miley singing to a 2021 white Karen who is mourning the conservative Republican world crumbling around them and it's the funniest fucking thing I've ever heard. I need that video in my life dddd.

17. Sis a TWO?!

Yeziirl, Maki and Music Is Death like this.
  18. Heavily judging all of those low scorers. This is such an amazing song, a real contender for my 11.

19. Need one more post after this to get to a new page xx.

Maki, soratami and Phonetics Girl like this.
  20. Or I'll just bump the thread myself. And I'll do it by telling y'all I honestly had no idea this pop mix of The Climb existed until now! It's not terribly different but I thought I'd share it here:

M24, Sprockrooster, Maki and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.