The Mission Impossible Franchise | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mission Impossible Franchise

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Deleted member 5343, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Teaser Trailer.

2. Looks amazing! One of my favourite movie franchises, they just seem to get better with each one.

DominoDancing likes this.
  3. SBK

SBK

Next year though! Was hoping we'd get it later this year...

DominoDancing likes this.
  4. I really cannot stand Tom Cruise, but the last three Mission Impossible movies have all been amazing, among the best action movies of the last ten or so years. Also more or less the only ones that still give me thrills through stunts (I mean we're all used to a lot after years of CGI). That last shot in the trailer fits well into that tradition!

lushLuck and SBK like this.
  5. Now see, that's how you do a trailer. What an exhilarating ride that 2 minutes was. This is the best franchise cinema has to offer, and I'm constantly shocked at their ability to create one incredible feature after another. I didn't realize these next two films were 'Parts,' which dampers my excitement a bit, but I'm sure it'll live up to my hopes regardless.

Heartthrob, Stewart, Someboy and 3 others like this.
  6. There is definitely a certain thrill knowing that these movies are basically all practical effects and little CGI.

Rebecca Ferguson joining the franchise has also been a well needed revitalization. You can tell Tom appreciates what she brings to the screen.

7. Hayley Attwell giving Tom Cruise a handjob as he drives through the streets of a gorgeous European city is the content I didn’t know I needed.

8. I worked on the last one and can tell you that that is patently not the case. There's a lot of visual effects work that goes into making these films look as real / "practical" as possible.

9. But you should be so proud, because the reason this franchise is so rewarding is because of all the tremendous hard work in making it look practical and real in comparison to Marvel’s drudge and Netflix’s weekly cheap bonanza.

This trailer is just so good, there’s a purity to these films in wanting to deliver for the audience, and frankly, it obviously comes from Tom. In 99% of trailers, when you flash the lead’s name, it always go to a big close-up, but for Tom? His iconic (and hilarious) run. The need to please - and cover for all the Scientology nonsense and terrible marriages and questionable fathering - he tries so hard I just can’t not appreciate it! In PopJustice terms, he’s like the male JLo.

10. Cheers. I'm just a teensy bit oversensitive to the fairly crude "CGI is ruining filmmaking" / "practical effects are better" narrative around films like this that, intentionally or not, devalue the work of visual effects professionals like me (which then doesn't help when we're lobbying for better working conditions, etc.).

Anyway... Rebecca Ferguson, Hayley Atwell, and Vanessa Kirby? oliviacoleman-gayrights.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.